• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Standing Up for the National Anthem

Regarding the National Anthem...

• I stand, and accost or harass anyone who doesn't.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I stand, but respect the right of others not to do so.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I only stand if someone tells me to or makes me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I refuse to stand.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    I don't stand. I place my freedom of thought and action far, far above pointless rituals. Does this make me unpatriotic? Disrespectful? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But that doesn't bother me.

What do you do? For the record, this is ANY national anthem, in any country.

Last edited:

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
  • I stand. Personally, I am pround to be welsh. I don't stand during pointless events such as the world cup or even rugby matches, but I do it at home. I know it sounds stupid, but hey, that's me.

I don't think it makes you disrespectful, because it isn't necessary; It's isn't forced upon us like certain countries, so I suppose it is a freedom of sorts.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I usually hum the song along (it helps that our anthem has no lyrics). I always considered that standing up and all is just for people who have to follow a protocol (politicians, soldiers...).

It doesn't help that in my country, patriotism isn't exactly popular...

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • I've always stood up for the National Anthem.

But in my 8th grade year, the school didn't do the National Anthem every morning like past years.

Not even on 9-11 or Memorial Day.

iyiyi

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
    Years
  • I stand and don't really know anyone else who doesn't. I won't jusdge you - some people can't really stand.

What bothers me are people who stand but don't remove hats or continue to chat while it's playing. THAT'S disrespectful. If you're standing to be respectful, then act like you're being respectful.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • To me, the national anthem represents respect for our forefathers and the countless men and women who have all died to make the United States a place safe for those with minority opinions and beliefs. I stand out of respect for all they did, though I would be a hypocrite if I didn't tolerate others who choose not to.

Last edited:

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
  • Well, in Ireland, there's two national anthems as far as sports go for anything that involves Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (rugby for example). One only applies to the Republic of Ireland and is used for all their sporting things (It's called 'Soldier Song'), and the other was written to encorporate Northern Ireland as well (called 'Ireland's Call').
    So being from Northern Ireland, I only really respect the second one, but I'll stand for the first one. I sing the second one though :D
    As far as actual national anthems go, we have 'God Save the Queen' in the North, and seeing as I don't believe in God and I'm against a monarchy... yeah. I sit. :P

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I stand for the Canadian national anthem because I love my country and believe in the principles that brought about its formation.

Morning Sun Espeon

Time to shine ★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    I stand up, it dosen't bother me if other people don't. I mean, freedom of sitting amirite?! XD

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    I stand for the Canadian national anthem because I love my country and believe in the principles that brought about its formation.
    Didn't Canada become independent by asking the United Kingdom for permission?

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
    Years
  • Didn't Canada become independent by asking the United Kingdom for permission?
    Pretty much, but we're still considered an independant country. Though why we're still involved with the Queen is beyond me.

We, too, play "God Save The Queen" on occsion but if I chose not to stand for that one, my devoted Cristian mother would have a fit. I'd rather not because I don't believe in organized religion.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Being the son of a military veteran, I was raised to have absolute respect for my country even if I disagree with my government. It's just something deeply ingrained in my personality...if I hear the opening notes of "The Star Spangled Banner", I immediately became solemn and respectful. :P

It bothers me when I see people behaving disrespectfully during the national anthem, but nothing I can do, eh? XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Um. I used to at highschool because the teachers made all of us. And now...I never hear the national anthem anymore, so yeah.

Though, we are one but we are many/we are Australian or I still call Australia my home should really be our national anthem instead. Qantas has practically jammed it into our heads through advertisements that those two represent Australia better than our own national anthem.

cerulean15

♫Mysterious Melody♪
    Years
  • Now adays...I stand when I get the chance whenever I actually hear the national anthem. Apparently its not required to be played here anymore in the United States in my state or something which I find extremely odd. In elementary you had to do it everyday, middle school it popped up on occasions and now in high school..like the first week of school and then they forget about it. Personally, I'll stand if I'm not feeling lazy :P but I do feel its unpatriotic when a person talks during it or wears a hat...but then again in band we're not allowed to take our hats off during it so...I can't speak on my behalf on that xD I just think the national anthem people should at least know it if you're in that country and show it so respect because it is where you're staying at for the time being.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I stand. Not really because I'm super-patriotic, just because it's respectful to do so. I don't stand up to respect the government, I stand up to respect the principals of the men who founded the nation, and in one sense or another my God.

People who refuse to do things just to give off an image (usually they just end up looking apathetic and arrogant) bug me.
    I don't stand. I place my freedom of thought and action far, far above pointless rituals. Does this make me unpatriotic? Disrespectful? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But that doesn't bother me.
    Kinda like this, to be truly honest. I'm not going to grab you and make you stand up, but it does have an effect on how I see you. Pointless it may be, but only if you refuse to see and involve yourself in the purpose behind it. It's as meaningful as you make it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I don't stand, I never hear our national anthem, I don't even know what our national anthem is.

But I also greatly disagree with our government and if I had the means I would leave the country. I would not stand for the anthem because the thought of being a part of all this and agreeing with it disgusts me. I'm actually working towards leaving.

Back