• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Standing Up for the National Anthem

Regarding the National Anthem...

• I stand, and accost or harass anyone who doesn't.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I stand, but respect the right of others not to do so.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I only stand if someone tells me to or makes me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I refuse to stand.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • If I'm watching a hockey game or something at home, I won't stand up when they play the anthem... and in any public setting I've never seen the point in taking your hat off or something when the anthem plays. But I guess I would if I wore hats.

I don't like tradition for the sake of tradition, usually, but it's just something you do to show respect for your country. Sure, there are other ways, but this is a pretty accepted one. D: I love my country, so I've no issues standing quietly to appreciate its anthem every so often. (I hated in high school when people would talk through the anthem--nevermind standing or hats or whatever, now that is disrespectful. And I'm pretty sure I've been guilty of it too, orz. ._.)

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I stand because I love my country and am proud of it. If other people don't want to stand, then they can sink in the mud like the rest of them. I don't respect cowardly people who hide and refuse to be proud and stand up for what they really are and the place that has sheltered them.

Just my thought on it though.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I stand. Well, we have to stand. It just goes by rule. Whenever we sing the anthem at school, everyone has to stand. I think it's good, patriotic and respectful. Generally, everyone has to sing, but I just hum along.

If it just happens to be on TV, or any other type of situation, I don't stand.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • I show my respect and stand...

But I don't like the idea...
    Almost always when we are having exams (there are a few schools nearby that play the anthem during assemblies) they would play the anthem and everybody in the examination hall stands up. What's irritating is, if you keep sitting everybody stares in the eyes with disgrace... You only get to know how important those 5 minutes were after the exam.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • As someone who sits silently as the alternative, I have to say.. Sure, go ahead and sit. And go ahead and don't even bother to speak either. You can't be stopped. But when someone calls you out for being lazy, or especially if you're talking or wearing a hat and are called out for being disrespectful, don't make excuses. People don't have to like what you do, and them being unable to stop you doesn't help, at all.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't stand, I don't sing along to the national anthem. I don't really believe in patriotism... I don't see why I would be proud about being born on a certain piece of land. I have no control over where I am born, and all the great things (and terrible things) that English people have done throughout history are nothing to do with me. The only connection is that they were born on the same floating piece of dirt as me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I don't stand, I don't sing along to the national anthem. I don't really believe in patriotism... I don't see why I would be proud about being born on a certain piece of land. I have no control over where I am born, and all the great things (and terrible things) that English people have done throughout history are nothing to do with me. The only connection is that they were born on the same floating piece of dirt as me.

Yep. You didn't choose to come here, but a lot of people would like to think you did for some bizarre reason.

"This country gave you so much" Yeah, and it also deprived you of so much too. Such as decency, protection, and has moral values that are about a shallow as a drying puddle. You don't even get your own land to grow a few measly crops unless your family are stinking rich, so you're forced to buy GM unless you're rich enough to buy organic (which, often times is impure also), even if you greatly disagree with it.

If you don't like it, you're asked "why do you even stay?".

Uh, if there were enough JOBS I would save MONEY to GET AWAY FROM HERE. But, you see, I can't get a JOB. Because, you see, I'm competing with hundreds of other unemployed applicants who are all applying for the same dirty minimum-wage job because it's the first open job to crop within about ten miles up in WEEKS (yes, these days I apply for jobs where they're not even hiring, I'm that desperate).

They say there's not enough money to create new jobs. Yet I see money being WASTED everywhere I go - by those who say there's not enough money for jobs! On meaningless things too, like having the grass cut unnecessarily by expensive to run and polluting machinery every single day. Or paying expensive salaries to those who quite frankly don't need that much nor deserve that much. Or erecting ridiculously expensive works of art/architecture that are completely unneeded (and always somehow dramatically break the estimated budget).

Most of our government are greedy con artists. Even those lower down in the council positions are overwhelmed with officials who just want to line their own pockets. Everyone knows this, yet nothing is done about it, people like to pretend it doesn't happen so they can go on being "patriotic". That feeling of belonging is quite cosy I imagine. People are so social that they were willing to do dirty things in order to "belong".

I don't like what our country was in history and I don't like what it is now. I want out. Oh, right, most countries around the world are PRETTY MUCH THE SAME!

All I want is a small bit of land in a country where I can stick by my moral beliefs without hassle. Here, I'm constantly having to break them out of necessity. Cut-throat culture. No chance for self-sustenance.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • I stand, but I don't sing. I don't really care about my country but it's respectful to others, and usually it's in a group situation like a football match or something so it really highlights you as not a team player if you don't even show that basic consideration. *shrug* Nothing to do with patriotism for me.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I do stand. Well, it's considered being disrespectful to the nation if one doesn't do it over here. Thus, yeah. And well, it might also be due to the fact that I was brought up like that.

As for the 'national anthem on TV' and stuff - it's just a different story..

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    A song representative of a modern country, often not so much its people's origins or traditions. It's a song of the rulers rather than the people, so I'll stand or sit or whatever anyone else is doing as not to look awkward, but I won't sing it. I've never been held to a situation where I'd be expected to, anyway.

Pretty much, but we're still considered an independant country. Though why we're still involved with the Queen is beyond me..
    Canada is a member state of the Commonwealth of Nations, which is ruled by Her Majesty.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I hardly know what the national anthem is so I guess I will stand when someone tells me. Its not that I don't respect my country its just what's the point in standing to some music really :|.

Years
  • I stand when I'm in public. It's what I've been taught to do; you can thank being a military brat for that. I've no problem standing for a few minutes.

This thread just reminds me of the theaters on-base that play the national anthem before the movie starts...

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I stand up in public areas, and if I am wearing a hat I will take it off, but at home I don't get up. Can't be bothered at home, but in public areas I don't hesitate to stand up.

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
    Years
  • Canada is a member state of the Commonwealth of Nations, which is ruled by Her Majesty.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I pretty much HAVE to stand. It was how I was raised and seeing as both schools I've attended played it every morning before class and everyone else stood, staying seated wouldn't be a welcome approach.

My comment before about chatting during the anthem was fainly aimed at this seeing as my more rowdy classes would be loud and it was highly disrespectful, in my opinion. Then again, most of them were disrespectful in any possible way there is to BE disrespectful.

Sports events, now that you mention it, are different. I'm I'm actually at the game I stand like everyone else. I sing, too. Since I enjoy singing and the echo covers my voice up (I'm a bit self-conscious), I don't see why not? I probably wouldn't stand for the American anthem if I were at a game where a Canadian Team played an American one. It's not my country so why show respect for it?

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • I stand at school, and when it's played at a sporting event or something else official like that. It's just something you do, and why not do it? It's not that hard. I don't even think about it, it's just automatic. I mean, even the most disrespectful, annoying kids at school still stand for the national anthem, because you're just supposed to. :/ I'd feel wrong if I didn't stand during the national anthem. xD So yea, unless it's just playing on some random TV show or something, or if it's not MY national anthem, I'll stand. I usually won't sing unless everyone else is singing around me.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • National Anthem? thats the things they do at school right? or is that the pledge of aligince or w.e.
    I stand, just because i do. its natural

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    I do stand up when the National Anthem is played, eventhough I'm not particularly nationalistic or proud of my country, I don't really wanna be rude or something so I just stand up out of respect. :/

Back