• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starters and their evolutions.

Years
    Anyone think some of their evolutions aren't that great? I was watching Chim char evolve and thought "Monferno really doesn't seem to be much of an "evolution"". He doesn't get that much bigger or stronger than his previous form.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    He gains a type at least. Anyway, moving this to Pokemon General, since it's more about Pokemon and not really games. Besides, I'm sure a lot of good topic points will come from anime references.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    We-ell I never really give much thought to the middle of the evo lines. They're really just transition phases I suppose. The main appeal to the starters imo is the original cuteness and the final strength, but you can't really go straight from one to the other. There's gotta be a transition/development phase where they get a bit bigger, a bit uglier and a bit of stat improvement.

You're saying Chimchar to Monferno isn't much of an evo because he doesn't get much stronger, yeah? I think he does. But I found it hard to see because I feel that evo line isn't real balanced; the point of them is speed and attack. But at that level it's hard to one or two-hit KO things and since Monferno can't take a hit very well, it can't show its progress. I dunno, that's what I've found anyway.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    Yeah, I gotta agree with Anna here. The middle evolution of the starter lines are in most cases not ones of much change. Some evolutions are more notable than others, like Mudkip to Marshtomp and Chimchar to Monferno, as they gain another typing, and usually stronger moves to accompany them, but that's usually the most the middle evolutions bring.

In any case, I don't really see much change in the Squirtle > Wartortle evolution, as nothing really notable happens. The moves aren't that much stronger, no new typings, the design does change a bit, and other than that there's mainly just stat changes.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    I love the middle stages D:

Because even though they're just there for a little while, they all got those personalities in their designs, like they're teenagers or something.
    Most of them also differ quite a bit from their initial stage, so not sure how you can say they're not that much different o.o
    I only heard of complains about third stages not looking similar enough to the line instead, till now xD

NV

Dracon Leader
    Years
    there are some mid evolutions that seem better then their final evolution.
    Dewott is a perfect example, I never evolve mine just because he looks his best in that form.
    Besides I can use evolite on him once he reaches lv100 and he'll be pretty dangerous like that.

Some starters are pathetic all the way through though....
    Turtwig does appeal to me in any of his forms.
    Ironically I've preferred pokemon that could hold accessories in the musicals even before the musicals were introduced to me.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Some mid-evolutions of starters are significantly different from their base forms, like Torchic to Combusken, Tepig to Pignite and Piplup to Prinplup. A few, however, have only small changes like Snivy to Servine.

Years
    Bulbasur, like it more than its others.
    Charmander & Charizard matter to me, Charmeleon i find boring.
    All of Squirtle line are good, more liked in BW with its Dragon Tail & Rapid spin & Eviolite.

Bayleef only, going beyond or before is nauseating.
    Quilava and Typhlosion, i find Cyndaquil odd looking.
    Totodile and Feraligatr, Croconaw brings to me the nostalgia goggles from The Flintstones for having a sort of caveman look (being capable of Ancient Power just makes it worse IMO.

Treecko, all are awesome.
    Torchic and Blaziken. Combusken barely hits my okay threshold.
    Mudkip line is alright, but i have Stomp Marshtomp for the heck of it.

Just Piplup and Empoleon. Prinplup is ugly.
    Turtwig line is great, if too look-a-likey of a certain munchy character from Land Before Time movie series.
    Chimchar is boring. Monferno and Infernape are awesome.

Snivy is the Smugleaf, Servine is profanity, Serperior is my corn snake.
    Tepig is Plasbad but the final shiny has appeal.
    Oshawott is adorable. Dewott is badly named. Samurott is my favored starter gen five.

He gains a type at least. Anyway, moving this to Pokemon General, since it's more about Pokemon and not really games. Besides, I'm sure a lot of good topic points will come from anime references.

Venustoise?

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
    Sometimes, evolutions seem to be a little repetitive and "stale." I find that Chikorita and its evolution, Bayleef, do not really have much differences. The same with Cyndaquil and Quilava as well. I suppose I feel this way because their designs and types are practically the same. I happen to get attached to the middle evolutions, though. Sometimes it's hard for me to evolve them into the last evolution! (Especially the Kanto/Hoenn starters)

Bulbasaur to Ivysaur- Great; gains Poison type
    Squirtle to Wartortle- My favorite starter line for Kanto though!
    Charmander to Charmeleon- My second favorite starter line in Kanto.

Chikorita to Bayleef- My least favorite of the starters; not very appealing design
    Totodile to Feraligatr- Second favorite; loved the Water types!
    Cyndaquil to Quilava- Favorite out of the starters

Treecko to Grovyle- Okay; not the best design, but my favorite starter!
    Mudkip to Marshtomp- Mudkip can stand on its forelegs! Second favorite starter
    Torchic to Combusken- Pretty much the same design; good starter though

Turtwig to Grotle- Pretty much the same design; not my favorite
    Piplup to Prinplup- Not very appealing; my least favorite design
    Chimchar to Monferno- Again, same base design; gains Fighting type

Snivy to Servine- Same design; favorite starter
    Tepig to Pignite- Okay; least favorite design
    Oshawott to Dewott- Good design; second favorite starter

Last edited:
    Years
    in my opinion, the worst offender of no real change during first evo is treeko, it really just gets leaves. seriously

droomph

weeb
    Years
    ^ How could you disrespect the Grovyle? That's bad :(

I personally don't think it's all that bad that some don't change as much - they're all cute/badass so it's all cool with me! Though if GF gets too lazy I'm gonna have a problem with that.

Years
    A lot of mid evolutions to me are the best of the bunch, for example even though I love their final stages I prefer Grovyle and Quilava :) I'm that way with a lot of pokémon though, like Kadabra, Haunter and Machoke.

Back