• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Starters' needed secondary types

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    I do agree with the concept, that all starters should have a 2nd type by their final evolution. They're the pokemon you have the longest in any game, and I really like seeing thme change they're dynamic more than just their look. A torchic into a blazekin is a good example, just like tepig into emboar. The fighting element adds a need to deal with flying and psychic. While in the other hand you have cyndaquil into typhlosion, who doesn't not change at all, remaining as a good special attacker with fire. The evolutions don't create a need to have more typed with you.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    Actually, Samurott could have been Water/Rock. The outer armor stuff makes that look right.

Emboar would indeed have been better as Fire/Dark. It'd be a first and it'd be awesome! (Replaces Emboar with my Blazekien. Ah... Much better!)

Lastly, Serperior's NOT being a Dragon type stnks. I first saw it and thought:
    "Hey! A first dragon type starter and a first Dragon/Plant type." But they didn't did they? Nope, they tricked me and left it only Plant type! Boy, oh boy, GF can't do that anymore...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Samurott as a Water/Steel would be good because of its armor, but then again there's Empoleon... So maybe Water/Rock or something near that.

There was a custom sprite someone made of Smugleaf Snivy's final evolution, and it looked pretty wicked and good that it looked like a Grass/Dragon.

Emboar as a Fire/Dark is agreeable, because of its appearance.

Sandshrewiac

Sandshrew Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2011
    To be honest, the Fire/Water/Grass trio was getting old, and I wanted to see nintendo mix things up in Gen V. Maybe something like Electric/Psychic/Ice. That would've been kinda cool. And while this is off topic I also hate Samurott's name change. Daikenki sounded much better to me.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
    It seems like choosing a Fire starter these days is all the same. The professor might as well be saying, "Now do you want the Grass-type, the Water-type, or the Fire/Fighting one?" The pattern on Emboar's chest makes me think Psychic, though that wouldn't seem right somehow.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I wish they could really remove the "fire/fighting" trend for fire type starters now... it's really starting to get old. (In gen IV I thought it just would've been a coincidence but apparantly not...)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I thought Boarbeque was going to be Psychic because of Spoink and the little gem on his tail. And Smugleaf was going to be Dark because of his eyes. And Wotter was going to be Fighting because he's a freakin' samurai.

Wouldn't it be weird if any starter chain would be. Fire/Grass, Water/Fire, Grass/Water.

Kind of weird but just something to think about. Also, the idea of them all being dragons was thrown around in other forums, but it would kind of wreck the chain. Samurott would have the upper hand, due to its ability to learn Ice moves. :/

This is a fantastic idea.

Fire/Grass could start as a mono-type Fire phoenix chick thing that evolves into a Fire/Grass peacock with a red body and green peacock plumes coming out of it. And then it could learn Lava Plume and Leaf Storm as signature moves. kthxbye

Water/Fire could start as a mono-type Water shrimp that slowly turns into a scorpionfish (and it could be the first fish-based starter -_-). It would learn Hyper Voice (from the shrimp, obviously), Fire Spin, Brine, and Scald.

Grass/Water could start as a mono-type Grass cactus CALLED MARACTUS and evolve to ACTUALLY LOOK COOL. Then, it could use Needle Arm and Soak, to make Needle Arm do more damage.

However, this wouldn't have worked with the current Generation's starters by a long shot, since Emboar doesn't look grassy at all~

Back