• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

status effects

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • ^ title. Are they something you use often in battles and/or for catching Pokémon, or do you mostly leave them unused? Which status effects are the most effective in your opinion? Etc etc.

I never used them up until recently, and I still very rarely do so. All that's changed is that I keep a Pokémon with Thunder Wave and occasionally Toxic for tougher battles - neither move sees much use though. I know they can be super effective, but I just tend to build my team around sweepers and rarely see the need to use a status effect on a Pokémon I'm already probably going to one-shot.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are probably the two I use most. I like how accurate they are in comparison to other status moves and I find that they're generally the most effective when it comes to tougher battles.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Toxic and Will-o-Wisp, cause burn is good to lower attack while dealing damage overtime also badly poisoned is better than poisoned

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I use Status moves pretty frequently since a lot of my favorite pokemon are Wall pokemon.
    I use Spore on my competitive Breloom very frequently, despite it not being a wall pokemon, and that is probably my favorite Sleep inducing Status move, and with 100% accuracy that comes along with it, it has a lot of great use.

I also frequently use Toxic which I have on my competitive Umbreon and have also used it on multiple other kinds of Wall pokemon such as Swalot, Cradily, and sometimes Steelix.

Thunderwave is also another fantastic status move that I have used here and there and gotten great use out of it. Back when I used to play Pokemon Stadium all of the time, I would always have Electrode slotted as my first pokemon out specifically just to get that Turn 1 T-Wave.

Years
  • My favorite combo is Spore and Wake-Up slap. It works wonders! Well, it did, until GF decided that all Grass types were immune to spores. Which makes no sense to me. Ever hear of Mistletoe? The most commonly known parasitic plant? Plants kill plants all the time! Like mushrooms and such.

I didn't really like the Electric Types being immune to Paralysis despite being Body Slammed to Hell and back. I love Generation VI but they sure introduced too many nerfs competitively. Megas are another problem in competition as well.

My favorite Status affecting move has got to be Tri-Attack, though. That right there has got to be my most used weapon. Are Fire Types immune to Burns? I forgot.

Years
  • I find status effects quite annoying in general and don't tend to use them too often, that being said, Toxic is a really useful move and one that I do use occasionally. Most of the time I end up using a move that has a chance to inflict paralysis, burn etc and if it does then I'm not complaining xD

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I normally use Thunder Wave in the post-game to catch low-leveled Pokemon.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I don't often have Pokemon where I keep status inflicting moves, but I do favor the sleep or paralysis inducing moves catching Pokemon or dealing with troubling opponents. Moves that inflict poison or burn needs to be something that deals damage too, for me.

Back