• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steve Jobs Voted Most Influential Man in Video Games

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I'll add the full survey, the "Most influential system" list isn't any less funny.

iPhone: 17%
    Wii: 7%
    Xbox Live: 3%
    PlayStation One: 3%
    Steam: 2%

Steve Jobs 26%
    Gabe Newell 16%
    Shigeru Miyamoto 7%
    Tim Berners-Lee 4%
    Mark Zuckerberg 3%

It's as if those guys had never played a videogame until two years ago.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    Shigeru Miyamoto 7%

Funny considering that Mario SAVED the gaming industry from death almost single-handedly in the mid mid 80's. If if weren't for Shigeru Myamoto's designs back then, gaming wouldn't even be what it is today. the original Super Mario Bros defined the platforming Genre (Not saying there weren't Platformers before that, but none of them were exactly great), and if happened again with Mario 64, that game set the standard for 3D gaming.

Also, am I the only one that find it weird that Gabe Newell has more alleged influence even though he's explicitly stated before that his favorite game was Super Mario 64?

This "poll" is obvious BS.

Years
    Also, am I the only one that find it weird that Gabe Newell has more alleged influence even though he's explicitly stated before that his favorite game was Super Mario 64?

Probably not, but Gabe Newell's company has helped keep PC gaming afloat and competitive with consoles due to Steam being a smashing success of a service, leading to competing services from EA (Origin), Microsoft (Games for Windows Live), GameStop (Impulse), and Amazon (Amazon Download Manager - more of a general software distribution tool than anything), among others.

The adopters of this poll seem to have a "What has he/she/it done lately that keeps me in a job?" attitude toward people in gaming and game platforms.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I guess some people were shattered by Jobs recent passing away and were suckered in to thinking he had something to do with the games industry. Which he isn't. -_-

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Steve Jobs has made games more accessible for the vast majority of people
    Even that's wrong. He didn't make gaming more anything. He had NO influence on the gaming world. I have had more influence than him simply by virtue of actually being a part of it. He may have arguably led a company that made computing more accessible, but he had no influence on gaming in the slightest, certainly not game design or accessibility. Gaben, on the other hand, had a huge hand in making games more accessible.

Back