• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stores with bad Customer Service

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I've had problems with Radio Shack. I needed to have a product exchanged and I had to go through such a big hassle. The product was defective yet the clerk pretty much was calling me a liar. Irregardless, they have a 30 returns/exchange policy even if you simply don't like the product. I seriously doubt I'd shop there again unless they were the only place carrying what I'm looking for.

What are your experiences with bad customer service?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Probably a similar deal at Argos. Defective headphones they refused to have returned for "higeine" reasons (they were defective, who would want to use them anyway?). They asked "does it produce sound?" I said yes and they said "well then it works". It seemed, no matter how much I tried to explain all I was getting was static noise, they refused to admit they were not working.

Finally my mum dragged me out the store.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2019
    Back in 2008. When I was putting money on for Guitar Hero III (PS2), this was because I didn't have enough. So I put the money on. 3 1/2 weeks later, I came to put the last of my money in, but the clerk said "We haven't put you down for this'. I remembered clearly those 3 1/2 weeks ago they did on their PC. I've never shopped from there again. This was GameTraders by the way.

Thanks for being really helpful -_-

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Suprisingly I've had good customer service at stores like Target at Wal-Mart. I also tend to recieve good service at small locally owned shops.

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
  • In my country Worten is awful. The employers knowledge about technologies is similar to my grandma's. I had a few problems, then I never went there again.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    The only bad experience I ever had at Target was when the store got raided just as I was walking out of it.

As for Wal Mart, this one was by far the worst one. I bought a game and the cashier forgot to give me a receipt, so when I got to the front and the person at the front asked for a receipt, I had to go back to the cashier to get one. And he refused to give me one. So I had to wait a half hour there until the person in the front responded to someone else, and I just ran out with the game that I had legitimately bought to begin with.

Yeah, I called their corporate office for that one. I told them that if I saw those two employees working there again, I'd sue the company for wrongful detainment. I haven't seen them there since.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The only bad experience I ever had at Target was when the store got raided just as I was walking out of it.

As for Wal Mart, this one was by far the worst one. I bought a game and the cashier forgot to give me a receipt, so when I got to the front and the person at the front asked for a receipt, I had to go back to the cashier to get one. And he refused to give me one. So I had to wait a half hour there until the person in the front responded to someone else, and I just ran out with the game that I had legitimately bought to begin with.

Yeah, I called their corporate office for that one. I told them that if I saw those two employees working there again, I'd sue the company for wrongful detainment. I haven't seen them there since.

Law varies state to state and country to conutry but where I'm from you can be detained for a short period of time based on reasonabla suspicicon that you may be shoplifting and be held until police arrive if this reasonable suspicion develops into probable cause. Not having a recepit would probably be enough to constitute reasonbale suspicion.

Threatening to sue does work if you stay firm. A university ripped of some of my money and I threatened to sue if they didn't refund me. They refused until I filed an investigation with my bank and filed small claims forms in my local court. A women from the university then called an processed the refund. She said "we're not doing this because you threatened to take legal action" but they always say that.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I've worked retail for about 4 years (and will probably do so until I find a job in my actual field), but let me tell you, there are equally as many stories from the worker's perspective. Belligerent (or just plain insane) customers, Freudian slips of the tongue, and an 80 year old woman in a walker shoplifting the new DVD release of Gone With the Wind.

There was a guy at my store (a bookstore) who was so angry we didn't have the book he was looking for, he began bashing his head, at full force, against the customer service desk.

Another story is when I was cashiering, and I normally joke around and laugh a lot with people. This was my Freudian slip: I was ringing up a rather large woman, and she gave me the money, then fished out some coins so she'd only get full bills for change. She said something like, "I like to get rid of my change.", and I said (something I say often when people do this!): "Less to weigh you down, say?" and my palm mentally faceplanted me. It was then I learned that retail punchlines are truly situational. Luckily, I think it went over her head.

Oh! And let's not forget the creepy stalker guy who came on to me... helped him find a book, and then ordered him one we didn't have. We were casually chatting while doing so (again, something I often do), and he asked what I study. I told him, Chemistry. Then, in a line that has become legendary at the store, he said, "What's a chemical equation for my heart racing while looking at you?" He then pointed to the monitor and said, "Keep my number. Call me."

It was the only time in my life that I was literally speechless.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • A store's customer service is only as good as the employees working, I believe. It's unfair to say "this store has awful service!" based off the actions of a couple of individuals.

SBaby said:

That's just awful. Jumping to threaten to sue over something so minor, and potentially getting two people fired who were probably just following store policy. Misunderstandings happen, and you more or less got two people fired that I'm sure were at least fine workers otherwise, all because you were slightly inconvenienced. =/

NOOBLMAO

Woosh
    Years
  • "What's a chemical equation for my heart racing while looking at you?" He then pointed to the monitor and said, "Keep my number. Call me."

It was the only time in my life that I was literally speechless.
    Haha, that line doesn't even make sense.

I haven't have any terrible experiences as a cashier but I've had a lot of pretty bad ones. One that's fresh in my memory is an overweight woman handed me moist cash that she pulled out of her bra. Eewewwhgsdjiko

Worst customer service: Best Buy with its Geek Squad.
    Back up up to 9GB of your data to external hard drive, DVD disc or flash drive (not applicable online) Add $100
    I wish I could get paid $100 to burn a DVD.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Where I work, we do just about anything we're asked short of anything dangerous. Where I work, you can literally walk in with spoiled good without a receipt and stand a chance a fair chance at getting a refund / replacement.

Then again, where I work, we are known for some of the best customer service in the business. It's literally a job requirement.

Oh, and I know this one employee who is ...er... rather obviously mentally impaired that seems to have no self control and I just can't fathom why he is allowed to take a job he obviously doesn't have the kindness or tolerance to deal with. I mean I'll just be walking along doing my thing and hear him swearing and complaining... I'm like, good grief how does he get away with that?!

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • Sainsburys...but it was good and bad, and at first it could be considered my fault. Even though I was nice and polite through the entire thing.

My Mum asked me to return a pair of shorts for her, and gave me her card. In the past, all you had to do was ask for the refund, put the card in the machine, type in the PIN number and hey presto! But they had changed the system back to signing, as obviously anybody could use the PIN number. By this point, I had already put the card in the machine and asked for the refund, so I made a little "oh!" sound when they asked for my signature, and told them not to worry, it was my Mum's card and I was doing her a favour, she could do the refund later.

Cue DRAMA. First the woman who was serving me starts telling me off, then she calls a floor manager to discuss the matter with. The floor manager starts telling me that they will have to call the police because I was attempting to forge my Mum's signature (when I hadn't even touched a pen). I have to admit I was nearly in tears here. I had been polite and apologetic and they were both going to town on me. Eventually they both stop lecturing me and I leave the store and go home. When Mum gets home later, I tell her what's happened.

This is where the good part comes in. Mum storms back to Sainsburys and tells a different manager exactly what I was put through. This manager is absolutely aghast, calls the two women I dealt with and threatened them with disciplinary. She then gave Mum the refund and me a free £10 Sainsburys voucher with her apologies written on it. I haven't seen the two women again since, and I spent the voucher on The Sonic Classic Collection. So I guess it wasn't all bad. XD

reyzn

Years
  • These are great stories lol.
    I've never really encountered a situation worth ranting about but I do notice that if I walk into a high-end clothing shop or boutique, it is obvious that I don't get the same kind of service as other customers simply because I like to shop in jeans or sweats (comfort ftw). They probably don't think I'm worth bothering over since I look like I can't afford anything. =\

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I recall me and Mother shopping at Big Lots a few Christmases ago, and we were trying to buy an ornament because they were on sale or something. Anyway, the dumb woman behind the cash register said that what we were trying to buy was not considered an ornament, despite having all the hooks and things that you would expect an ornament to have, simply because it was stuffed. It was like tiny stuffed bear Christmas tree ornament. Yeah. Dumb. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened, I may have gotten a few things mixed up, but I assure you it happened at Big Lots and it was ridiculous. We don't shop there any more.

I just had a sort of job interview over the phone today. They asked me why I thought customer service was important. I said that without good customer service, the customer won't want to return. (I really hope I get that job. :S)

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    pfff LOOOOOOTS OF BAD EXPERIENCES! xD once a guy (he was like 40) made fun because Im a stutter and well I jsut gave him a really bad look and went away crying xD (I was like 12)
    then when i was around 14 a guy tried to charge me something reaaaaaaaaaally expensive and I said "f*** you" and went away xD
    finally at the age of 17 they tried to give me a nonworking game so I gave it back and took another one myself xD

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Where I work, we do just about anything we're asked short of anything dangerous. Where I work, you can literally walk in with spoiled good without a receipt and stand a chance a fair chance at getting a refund / replacement.

Then again, where I work, we are known for some of the best customer service in the business. It's literally a job requirement.

Oh, and I know this one employee who is ...er... rather obviously mentally impaired that seems to have no self control and I just can't fathom why he is allowed to take a job he obviously doesn't have the kindness or tolerance to deal with. I mean I'll just be walking along doing my thing and hear him swearing and complaining... I'm like, good grief how does he get away with that?!

Stores like that would definately have me as a regular customer, even products are a tad more expensive than at other stores. Customer service really is important. While low prices do attract shoppers, if you make your customer's shopping experience pleasant and easy on them they will most likely become regulars at your store.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • March 2007: My laptop was about 5 months old when the screen got cracked. So I take it into Best Buy to get it fixed. They said it would take two weeks to order a new screen. Okay, fair enough.

I get a call saying that my computer is ready so I head back to Best Buy. Turns out:
    a) They couldn't find it at first. They had to hunt for it in the storeroom. It took them about an hour.
    b) Somewhere along the way, they lost the AC adapter. So, they search for another hour for it, couldn't find it. Then they had to search for an aftermarket replacement adapter, and I had to explain to the cashier that it was a replacement for a part that the store had lost and I wasn't supposed to be billed for it.

All in all, it took nearly two and a half hours, and almost cost me the friendship of the person who drove me there, as he was getting quite impatient, as was I.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    A Best Buy employee actually laughed in my face when I told him I was installing Ubuntu to the laptop I was purchasing for my cousin.

"BUT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO USE OUR ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE DURKA DURKA"

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    That's just awful. Jumping to threaten to sue over something so minor, and potentially getting two people fired who were probably just following store policy. Misunderstandings happen, and you more or less got two people fired that I'm sure were at least fine workers otherwise, all because you were slightly inconvenienced. =/

Well, this was years ago. By years, I mean this was the PSX era. So it may not have happened exactly word for word like how I said it. But that is the gist of it, and that was indeed the only time I saw those two.

If you were there and saw how they acted toward me, you might have a different opinion on the situation. I've worked that kind of job, and you don't give customers attitudes and threaten to call the cops on them if they 'don't shut up'. And you definitely don't try to detain them. That could very well be the reason the lady in front got fired (presumably; they couldn't tell me outright because I don't work there).

And let me tell you something else. Every single cashier employee working any kind of retail job for any company in existence has something called a Transaction History that they can look through and print out receipts for any transaction they performed that day. It's how managers find out if employees made mistakes on their till. So there's no excuse for him not being able to give me another receipt, other than the fact that he was too lazy to print another one up. I spent a half hour trying to get one. A HALF HOUR!

Anyway, do you really think those two would've been fired if I was the only one that complained about them? No, they wouldn't have. It takes anywhere from five to seven complaints or three write-ups to ax someone.

Geek Squad hands down. I've even heard stories from friends. :/ Need to get their act in place. It's not really a squad when none of them know how to work together.

Best Buy does have a reputation of deliberately placing people in areas they're not good in when they're trying to get rid of them. You probably stumbled on someone in that situation.

Last edited:
    Back