• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stormruler's Pixel Thread

StormRuler

Kung foo fighter
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2011
I'm new to spriting so don't be harsh,
However I do support costurctive critisism,
So critisize all you want(but in a good and helpful way please).

Fakemon (Scratches)
Not Public

Spoiler:

New stuff coming soon:classic:

Last edited:

deeelove

Dradradra drama BEATZZ
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 31, 2016
i really really like them man. Keep it up. Work on the shadowing more too but other then that they look awesome!

Years
Spherical Ice's Constructive Criticism:
Constructive Criticism for StormRuler's sprites.

It's nice to see a new face around Pixel Art that reads the rules and scratches... and accepts constructive criticism, unlike some people here...

Anyway, your concepts are great! You're good at line-art, for the most part, and the same with colouring, however you do lack in shading skills.

I don't know if Chibow is still a [ntitle="Work in Progress"]WIP[/ntitle] or not (if it is, then you should specify it, for convenience), but it seems to be one, as it has not shading at all, bar a bit of outline shading around the wing.

I'm not very fond of Dinocle, for many reasons. For one, it is facing the wrong way - or at least the wrong way for Pokémon sprites - as it is facing the complete left, as if it were in something like Smash Bros., but Pokémon sprites face the bottom-left, where the opponent's Pokémon is looking at. Orientation is pretty important (just ask Chesu.), so you might want to work on that (weird thing is it's only Dinocle that's like that. Flamebee is borderline, though). I don't really like Dinocle's monotone 'pattern', for want of a better word. Blue and grey, typical for a Dinosaur. Keeping on the topic of colours, Dinocle's arm, where blue, has a grey outline, which is wrong (or awkward, at the least). And it's legs are positioned weirdly, too.

Iceral seems to be based on Pachirisu, yes? Well, the pose is super-similar, and the tail has little-to-no shading... at all. The way the arms are completely inside the body makes the sprite seem even more 2D then it already is, what with no shading, etc.

...is that yellow 5 o'clock shave on Iceral's face? o.O

Now, Flamebee. This is a pretty generic concept. I've seen loads of fire deer Pokémon, so if you're going to go down that road, I suggest being a put more imaginative; perhaps give it a personality twist and make it look really angry, with flaming eyes or something. It's just a bit... ordinary. Anyway, moving away from the concept of the sprite; Flamebee unfortunately suffers what all of your other sprites on display do, which is a lack of shading... well, I say a lack of shading, there is shading, but not an adequate amount, and not well-utilised shading, either.​
Summary:

Pros: Great choice of soft colours; when you put your mind to it, you produce some awesome concepts (Chibow <3); you don't seem to be afraid of scratching, which is a good start for a beginner. +4

Cons: Your sprites have little-to-none shading; you seem to have a problem with your sprite-orientation. -3

Total: 7/10

Suggestions: Look up some shading tutorials - which I'll look for and then edit this post with, and practice more. Also try to orient your sprites to face the bottom-left. A good way to do that is by drawing a dot and making sure that your sprite is always facing that dot... and put the dot in the bottom-left, obviously.

Good luck! You've got potential to grow into an awesome spriter, I mean, you're already better then me. And you're the first person to get con-critted with my speshul quote.

Last edited:
Years
I don't have a speshul quote, but here goes:

As it's been said, you have pretty good line art. This is a great start for your sprites. Unfortunately most of your lines are black all around. Flambee's head, though, is more of what you want. Lighter colors toward the upper left and darker ones toward the lower right. Some will tell you not to use black at all and go with an almost-black, but I wouldn't worry about that at the moment. Getting the "lighting" right should be your goal.

Chibow has some nice colors, needs shading, etc. The shape of the head is pretty nice. I like the narrow eye, though I'd prefer if it stood out more. It gets lost in all those bold colors. Perhaps you could show a little of its other wing to make it look like it's facing more forward and less sideways.

Dinocle has a pretty promising pose. I like the foreshortened leg, but the other is too flat with that straight line for the bottom edge. Angle that a little down and you'd have something that looks more 3-dimensional. The head and arms could be give a similar look if they were changed, too, though that's a lot more work than just altering one line and I wouldn't presume to tell you how best to do it. The tail looks... stumpy. It's pretty much an even thickness and with tails you'd expect something on the end or for it to get somewhat narrower.

With Iceral you can pretty much go with what Spherical Ice said. The tail has a good shape, but I feel the body is too small for it. One might have to change size to match the other.

Flambee is your best with more shading, a pretty good pose (even if it looks like it's facing a little too much to the side), and nice colors. The flame on its tail is kind of plain. I don't know what that thing is on the front left leg and the back right doesn't need to be so skinny. It also looks like you used too many shades of orange. You have light, medium and dark shades on the face, head and neck, but then you have a fourth, medium-dark shade around some of the legs and you could just as easily use the dark shade you used on the neck. It would give you more space to work with other colors and stay under the 16-color limit.

I assume you're reading tutorials and looking at official sprites to help you, but if not, well, do it. Again, good lines, good color, and good luck.

StormRuler

Kung foo fighter
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2011
I've drawn a new fakemonwhich is called Dinity.
Here have a look.
Spoiler:

Hope you like it.:classic:

Years
It's cute. A little plain, but there's nothing really bad about it. The highlight on the head doesn't need that grey outline, though. At least it could be a light blue. You do have room for a few more colors so why not add a little variety, eh?

Where did the other sprites go? If you're working on them that's great, but you should leave them up so you have the minimum 4 sprites you need to keep your thread open.

deeelove

Dradradra drama BEATZZ
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 31, 2016
yea throw some shading in the and it will look sweet

StormRuler

Kung foo fighter
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2011
I've edited my current fakemon as you guys said and i've made a few more.
Here are the new ones:
9bac2645105f4b347083c18d97108983_37416.png
52dbb7093bbfa03e753d6db7bf55e0a0_37415.png
08d775fa2bc561dd7526056e133c4691_37414.png
9eda913946179c15a5443ff23a3f3fea_37412.png

Back