• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strict HOME rules

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
    I'll elaborate on some of the rules I have.

Even though I can invite any friends over, only male friends can spend the night at my place. My girlfriend wanted to do it, but I told her my parents forbid it.

I am not allowed to play M-rated video games. I also cannot watch ultra-violent movies by myself, and I'm not allowed to watch certain movies that my parents object to. I was not allowed to watch South Park until recently, and my parents still prefer if I don't watch it. I also cannot watch inappropriate anime - anime geared towards adults is off-limits for me. My parents don't mind anime since they grew up with Arabic anime dubs in their home country.

I have to finish every drink I pour. If not, it goes in the fridge. I can't dump it in the sink. I also have to observe the Islamic dietary laws. That means no pork - and since we're Shia, no lobster, crab, or squid either. I'm not allowed to have sweets after 9 PM (except ice cream for some strange reason - then again, my dad sometimes goes down at midnight to eat a little ice cream). I'm not allowed to drink soda for breakfast, though I can have it with lunch and dinner. And ketchup is NEVER allowed to be used at breakfast in my house. My grandfather finds this hard to obey when we're eating breakfast sausage.

I also must do homework as soon as I get home, but I'm usually done with it quickly.

Years
    I'll elaborate on some of the rules I have.

Even though I can invite any friends over, only male friends can spend the night at my place. My girlfriend wanted to do it, but I told her my parents forbid it.

I am not allowed to play M-rated video games. I also cannot watch ultra-violent movies by myself, and I'm not allowed to watch certain movies that my parents object to. I was not allowed to watch South Park until recently, and my parents still prefer if I don't watch it. I also cannot watch inappropriate anime - anime geared towards adults is off-limits for me. My parents don't mind anime since they grew up with Arabic anime dubs in their home country.

I have to finish every drink I pour. If not, it goes in the fridge. I can't dump it in the sink. I also have to observe the Islamic dietary laws. That means no pork - and since we're Shia, no lobster, crab, or squid either. I'm not allowed to have sweets after 9 PM (except ice cream for some strange reason - then again, my dad sometimes goes down at midnight to eat a little ice cream). I'm not allowed to drink soda for breakfast, though I can have it with lunch and dinner. And ketchup is NEVER allowed to be used at breakfast in my house. My grandfather finds this hard to obey when we're eating breakfast sausage.

I also must do homework as soon as I get home, but I'm usually done with it quickly.

Tell me about Arabic anime dubs! Also, why can't ketchup be eaten at breakfast? If you come to Canada, all we ever put on food is ketchup :S

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    Usually it was just picking up after myself and don't get into trouble. I used to have bed set to 9:30 in Elementary, 10:30 in middle school, and 11 early freshman year of high school. After that she let me go to bed whenever to probably make me learn why I should go to bed at a decent hour.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    When I moved in and signed my lease, I agreed to a bunch of house rules.

These are from my lease:
    1. Remove shoes once entering house.
    2. Lock all doors when leaving house.
    3. Do not place thermostat above 70°F during winter or below 60° during summer.
    4. Turn off lights in rooms not in use, and overnight.
    5. Clean up common areas and utensils after use.
    6. No large gatherings.
    7. Remove lint from lint trap when using dryer after every use.
    8. Recycle #0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 plastics, papers, cardboard, glass and cans.
    9. No parking in the garage.
    10. No smoking.
    11. No painting of any sort on walls.
    12. No firearms or weapons of any sort allowed in house.
    13. No drugs or illegal substances allowed in house.

Years
    - Never embarrass mother. Weird things may embarrass her (since you're so embarrassing), so be very careful.
    - Do not stand up for yourself when mother puts you down, that is just seen as "being argumentative."
    - Do not annoy dad. He will hit you.
    - The only time you're nice is when you're sick (according to mother), so be careful when you're well and happy.
    - Do not make a decision mother wouldn't approve of. This includes choosing a boyfriend she doesn't like (she will flirt with your boyfriend if she does like him, however), having friends she doesn't like (which is all of your friends - they're all too stupid, too strange, too etc. for you), renouncing your religion, choosing classes she thinks doesn't suit you, etc.

I'm so glad I live on my own now.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Still a kid living at home.

- What are the rules in your Home?
    Get home at a reasonable time.
    Don't do anything illegal.
    Respects the parents and try to follow what they say.

- Why are there rules?
    I think that there are rules to keep order and to prevent the kids from getting in too much trouble or hurt. If I was doing illegal things and driving then that could get me arrested and in a crash. I think that rules are mainly set up for our protection as much as we don't want to hear that. I have come to that realization.

- Do you like having rules?
    Nope, and most of the time I don't follow them. lol

Years
    Living at home while I study, though I am twenty. It's up to you if you consider me a kid.

When I was younger, the only rules were to be responsible taking my medicine and I was strongly encouraged to get good grades, but I wouldn't be punished if I didn't. Actually, the only punishment I ever got was when I forgot to take my pills with me when I went to a friend's one night and got a slap for it.

Rules exist to bring some amount of order to our lives and protect those who are too young to always make the correct decisions.

I like some rules and dislike others. I do like the idea of having rules though.

Ludds

I am British
    Years
    I've pretty much always been able to do what I like. I mean, I obviously had a set bed time when I was younger and I was encouraged to not spent hours sat playing video games but it has always been lax. Now I'm older (and my parents have split) I pretty much do whatever I like :D

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
    My mom had a bunch of rules that only she enforced. It was mostly normal things like "don't play video games for longer than X amount of time" or "Do your homework before watching TV." The rules she had were good when I was little and didn't have very much self-control, but as I got older she still acted like I was seven years old. My mom and I never got along, but our relationship just got more strained after when I was about 11. When she got really sick she was more lenient, probably because she had bigger things to worry about than "Is my daughter playing Pokemon more than 1 hour a day?" Now that it's just me and my Dad, I have a lot more freedom, but I know how to use it responsibly.

I think rules are important if they are in moderation. Rules such as "Don't stay out after (insert time here)" or "Don't run in the street" are important because they are simple and are meant to keep you safe. I don't like when parents have pointless rules like "Don't drink water at the dinner table." (Yes, that was a rule my great aunt had). When making a rule, you have to ask yourself "Could somebody get hurt is this rule is broken?"

Last edited:

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
    I am able to play video games as long as I want to as long as homework is done or as long as I don't play all day. The one game that my mum objected to was World of Warcraft, which my brother had gotten. She noticed I was playing it too much and she cut my support from it. I then realised that it was a waste of time. I'd rather be doing other stuff.

As for the certain anime that I watch, I have to get approvals from my parents first. My mum will approve of almost any series she watched when she was growing up in Lebanon. (It's strange how they don't mind anime. But dubs in Arabic usually aren't that bad.) Some shows I'm not allowed to watch. My mum recently banned Family Guy from the house because she thinks it's too offensive. She lets me watch The Simpsons, though.

Unlike a lot of Muslim parents, my parents hardly ever used corporal punishment on me. They also didn't make me do a lot of chores - I do have to clean my room, and I usually help set the table, but overall they just leave me be. I get an allowance for cleaning my room. If I don't do it, then I don't get any allowance. They also don't usually drag me to the mosque unless it's really important. (The day we usually go is Friday.) Sometimes they'll skip Fridays too. Still, they'd probably flip out if I ate pork or drank alcohol.

One rule that is hard for me to follow is that I cannot take food to my room. EVER. Even leaving a glass of water in overnight drives Mum crazy.

Yukari

- Only play E-T Rated games
    - Don't spend all day on the computer

Really that's all, but I Don't get why she won't let me play Halo. I even showed Her halo I showed her the game over and over I showed her reviews but if I ask her why all she says is "Its Rated Mature". I can't tell how much that Pisses me off Because she AGREES that it isn't bad enough to be an M game >:(. Well I know she is only looking out for my well being.

Last edited:
    Back