• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Student Chat Thread v2

rITual

We're only animals.
    Years
    For those of you here in the UK who are just finishing college, what are your next steps?

Do you plan to go on to university? If so, what to study? I wouldn't of minded going but the years studying wasn't for me and I didn't really fancy studying anything there.

It's also pretty pricey now which also put me off. I decided to take up an apprenticeship in a trade.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    For those of you here in the UK who are just finishing college, what are your next steps?

Do you plan to go on to university? If so, what to study? I wouldn't of minded going but the years studying wasn't for me and I didn't really fancy studying anything there.

It's also pretty pricey now which also put me off. I decided to take up an apprenticeship in a trade.

The new uni fees are pretty damn steep but they also come with the best loan you'll ever have in your life, so eh. I doubt they're honestly as bad as people seem to think.

That aside, I'm finishing this June. Hopefully gonna go study Medical Biochemistry at the University of Manchester, who made me a pretty reasonable offer a little while back. Definitely looking forward to it!

Although kudos to you for the apprenticeship. So many students in the UK are told by their schools or colleges that university = everything and that you will never get anywhere without it, which is obviously a huge issue for people like you who don't think uni is for them. Well done for being resourceful enough to look outside of that. What are you doing the apprenticeship in?

Just out of curiosity, what happens to you guys if you don't sign your exam paper? Seems so dangerous to you.. (as opposed to me xD )

Then... um... you fail because they don't know who did the exam paper, lol.

Last edited:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    Hmmm Exam signing IS a serious issue to you guys O_O .... never knew...

As for me, I am supposed to make a Business project for the next week. Some weird blabber about marketing research and such (I have no idea what it is <_<)
    I just got the final reply from my fellow students....WE ARE NOT DOING IT. No its not cancelled, we are ignoring the whole thing <_< of course, since we are all a good team, none of the class is doing it and the teacher can't literary put a 0 for all the class... I feel bad for joining them but, Have a choice?!

Hope things go as planned, I never saw my professional devious classmates fail when its to countering a teacher, and since its a business teacher we are speaking of, we are at an advantage. *sigh* Its nice being in this school.....

Nihilego

Years
    Hmmm Exam signing IS a serious issue to you guys O_O .... never knew...

How couldn't it be important lol? If we don't write our names on the exams then I don't get how the people marking it know who wrote it.

Almost out of uni, then I won't be a student anymore. ;_;

DDDDDDDDDDDD:

What are you studying?

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years

I know that feel. I'm like 6 months away from finally being out and having just a job and not a job + school.

Yep... Me too except with two months... D:

I have enough planned after graduation though. But it will be quite a change.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years

How couldn't it be important lol? If we don't write our names on the exams then I don't get how the people marking it know who wrote it.

I think I misunderstood what you guys meant by signing. :S By signing you mean simply confirming your name? And I thought you were talking about parent signatures and stuff -.-

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
    Years
    Finally got a 6+ in maths :D but.... what do I do now? The teacher only teaches our class level 5+6 and I seriously want to do some harder work, but *sigh.* We aren't even setted properly yet (year 8, 12/13) and there are only two ability groups. So I'm in a class with people who aren't my level and its pulling me back. uhf.

and one of my science teachers has x-ray vision. She always knows when I've got my phone out (I'm only checking the time!) even though the desks are solid (you can't see your legs on the other side) and I do it as sneakily as possible, she always catches me. The clock in the room is broken and the person I sit next to who has a watch always says 'time to get yourself a watch!' when I ask him the time. ARGH.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I have a book project I could be doing right now. :\ I need to finish reading the book I picked out, though. We had to read a memoir and then pick a project we could do for that book... I don't really remember; the paper is in my backpack. The book I pick was Death Be Not Proud, and it's a pretty good book - sad, too. It's a bit confusing, as well, since this was written in the 1940s, I believe, so I have no clue what this guy is talking about half the time. Not too mention they mention a lot of chemistry and medical related things in there, so it's pretty hard to understand (at least for me).

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

DDDDDDDDDDDD:

What are you studying?
    Computer Science.

I know that feel. I'm like 6 months away from finally being out and having just a job and not a job + school.
    Luckily, I think I'll probably be able to get some work. I'm not looking for extremely high pay, just enough to get by, and with a degree that shouldn't be hard.

Nihilego

Years
    That's pretty cool, Cello. Nice to see that it's coming on well. How long have you been working on it for, and when do you think it'll be done by?

twocows said:
    Computer Science.

JEALOUS. It's not something I'd wanna spend several years of my life learning about, but this always just seemed really interesting to me, lol.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    That's pretty cool, Cello. Nice to see that it's coming on well. How long have you been working on it for, and when do you think it'll be done by?

Thanks. :D
    I started it last week on Wednesday, but truth be told I've been procrastinating like crazy with it. I suck at being given assignments. I just finished it and i'm doing the final render now.

That animation is so cute :3

Once I get to know some programming stuff, I may post some of my works here. Just 'cause. Totally can't wait for Programming 20 and 30.

Thanks. :3
    Yeah man, post some stuff! It's not that often people get cool assignments they can show off.

Though I do have some pretty sweet math homework out of my text book I could show off.... Ah, never mind.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

JEALOUS. It's not something I'd wanna spend several years of my life learning about, but this always just seemed really interesting to me, lol.
    It's marketable and pretty interesting at times, though very tedious at others.

Nihilego

Years
    You lot get to learn things like this as standard? That kinda thing's totally unheard of here unless you pick it as one of your four subjects in your last two years of school.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    I REFUSE TO LET THIS THREAD DIE PEOPLE!!!

I started Computer Science 10 (Was Programming 10, they're changing it all around) and I got as far as my basic Hello World! program. I felt so happy for myself. c':

Oh and it seems I get to learn SO MUCH MORE that I'd love to know. Here's the course layout for the three classes in the com sciences course:

10: VB.NET
    20: C#, and if you have time, HTML/CSS, Javascript and HTML5
    30: Program Design, and if you have time, PHP.

Pretty awesome course.

Aaaah...reminds me of the time I wanted to learn programming. I was so excited to do so. I FAILED MISERABLY. Simply because I didn't know where to start from, I just saw all the overlapping codes and was like "O__O"
    I then vowed I will NEVER EVER try learning programming Language again in my life :P I'd rather stick with 3D Modeling for now.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    *sigh* Seeing this thread just reminded me that Monday I have to return to school... I am currently on holidays.
    I didn't miss school at all. Moreover we are in a test period, with the baccalaureat (the equivalent of final exams) that is approaching. So that means a lot of stress, a lot of work, and the end of peace and quiet.
    I'm already looking forward the next holidays. That's depressing.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

I'm suffering from this as well. -___-
    My final project as well as our final project's blog not due until next Monday but I cannot stop browsing PC to save my life.
    I may need to be issued a temporary ban.

Dude... that sounds AWESOME. I wish I could have taken a robotics class.
    Be sure to let us know how that goes.

Unfortunately next month, or next week rather since my 3D Animation Fundamentals class ends, i'll be learning Python programming... which is weird, because I wasn't expecting to have to learn that in a Computer Animation/Game Art &Design program.
    While programming fascinates me, I just feel like it's going to be hard for me to focus. D:<

That's awesome that you're learning Python! I have no mel or python or scripting knowledge at all but it would be cool to learn.

Are you learning rigging too? :33

The anim's not bad at the moment; but I wouldn't do any effects to the camera; it's distracting to the animation especially when the ball tries to hit the box. @_@ That's the major thing that jumps out at me. I could say more but I know you said it's not refined yet :33 But either way; awesome stuff!

I graduated from my traditional animation course last year (yeah the pencil and paper drawing old-school way) ; though I did a lot of 3D myself and worked my butt off. Now I'm working in games which is awesome and worth all that sweat and tears and struggling back in College to do well @_@

Last edited:
    Back