• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Student Chat Thread v2

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • Yayayayay!

Forgot to ask in the old thread, did anyone here who is at school or college in the UK get any exam results on the 8th of March? How were they?

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Woo, I like this thread idea!
    I go to the media industry equivalent to Hogwarts, Full Sail, so a lot of my posts in this thread are going to be very nontraditional..

This month i'm in Fundamentals of 3D Animation, where we have to animate 3D objects in Autodesk Maya. For our final project we have to make a short animation that tells a story.
    Right now i'm animating a magical ball bouncing out of box that he was trapped in, and now he's very angry!
    Here's the storyboard:
    Spoiler:

3D animation is fun, and not very time consuming unless you start doing a lot of advanced stuff such as making a person talk.

We switch classes every month, so it's a bit of an odd schedule. Maybe i'll share some of my other school work. :>

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    One month left for this academic year and I can't waaaait for the end. I'm really at the point where I'm sick of studying and just want to take a break. And it doesn't help that the nice weather has kicked in super quickly this year. It's only March and I'm already wearing shorts!

My schedule is getting so booked, I can't believe it. My next two weekends are completely shot and I'll be lucky if I get time to do any homework. I have to be on 4 different sets in the next two weekends. (For those who don't know, I study Film & Television Production). Right now I'm working on my elective homework, which is the only class I have to do written work for. I haven't written an essay in forever, and I'm absolutely hating this. Everything on PC and Reddit and FB becomes extremely interesting at this point in the writing process lol.

And then after these next two weeks of hell, I have exams to look forward to! Hurray!.... God I'm sick of studying.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I may be in college, but I've only got two classes this semester, so I'm living easy. XD

My first (and more important for my major) is Calculus III, which I just got out of about thirty minutes ago (logged onto PC from college library while passing the time before going to work). We've had two exams so far, and my average is about a 92 right now. clearly, if you need math helps, I'm the guy to ask. XD

My second class (which is the last elective I'll ever need to take) is Humanities, which is essentially a history class with an emphasis on the development of human culture and civilizations. It's an interesting class, but I'm only averaging an 88 at the moment. :P

...which reminds me, I should be reading the latter class's assigned reading instead of surfing around on PC. XD

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • ...which reminds me, I should be reading the latter class's assigned reading instead of surfing around on PC. XD

I'm suffering from this as well. -___-
    My final project as well as our final project's blog not due until next Monday but I cannot stop browsing PC to save my life.
    I may need to be issued a temporary ban.

This year I'm doing robotics. Not quite presentable media, but fun nonetheless.

Dude... that sounds AWESOME. I wish I could have taken a robotics class.
    Be sure to let us know how that goes.

Unfortunately next month, or next week rather since my 3D Animation Fundamentals class ends, i'll be learning Python programming... which is weird, because I wasn't expecting to have to learn that in a Computer Animation/Game Art &Design program.
    While programming fascinates me, I just feel like it's going to be hard for me to focus. D:<

Lava_Princess

Princess of Everything Burning
    Years
  • I have five weeks left until the end of the semester and I have so much work to do until then. I need to write so many papers and read so many things, especially for my COMP class. I need to write a 10-page research paper on a topic of my choice-- I chose to do my topic on the representation of women in early mythology and fairy tales. I still have so much research to do....
    Also I need to start writing out the script for a comic I'm making for my school's literary magazine (I have no choice because I'm a part of English Club).
    Can't wait for the semester to be over.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Hehe. . .Whenever someone asks me about my "Student" life, the first thing that pops into my head is my teachers lol. I feel like I am in the best school in the world with these cool teachers :P I have A LOT to talk about them that it wont fit.

Perhaps the best of those teachers are our Chemistry/ Physics teacher and our English one.

I'll start with my English teacher.....Well....simply, he is COOL. Yes, he is 22 years old, and I just admire his personality. Why? Because he loves Pokemon :D Yeah, now that's a teacher who understands the meaning of life 8) Every time we end up chit-chatting about Anime and Pokemons and such, and I was glad to see someone at least interested in those things to my extents. He is as well great when it comes into teaching , he loves writing and poems...and I gotta Admit, he changed me a lot in my writing. He was a great help. He is fun to be around with, we end up discussing silly matters from time to time in class and such...weird topics such as "Shakespeare is Gay" or probably end up into a state of swearing and insults.. of course in a joking manner :P

One thing I really like about our teachers is how outgoing they are xD , I still remember the time where we were making our exam while our Chemistry teacher was looking over us. The English teacher passed by to answer questions, and due to our stupidity, he went like "Idiots! You Stupid A$$holes!" looooool And we were like " -.- " it wasn't something to be awed by.....Neither was our Chemistry teacher...

I'd like to talk about them but I really can't put it into words, the point is, our teachers are cool in a way you can attach to them. He can come smack your head, insult your father, or hang around with you....in the end, its all kidding and laughs, we love them so much!

Nihilego

Years
  • You're pretty damn lucky there, Charicific. Most schools just... don't have good teachers, lol. Or have good ones which have no people skills at all and just try to control you rather than get on with you. At my school it's a bit different I guess since boarding staff tend to get on better with the kids than non-boarding ones, but there's still the whole element of "I am a teacher so I am better than you". Hate it lol.

...although I'd hate for a teacher to insult me when I got something wrong. They can get in serious trouble for that lol.

Edit: during the last break between lessons, a kid tried to beat another kid up. While he was at it, someone else was filming him. The kid who was doing the, um, beating up went and CALLED THE POLICE. Discuss.

Last edited:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • You're pretty damn lucky there, Charicific. Most schools just... don't have good teachers, lol. Or have good ones which have no people skills at all and just try to control you rather than get on with you. At my school it's a bit different I guess since boarding staff tend to get on better with the kids than non-boarding ones, but there's still the whole element of "I am a teacher so I am better than you". Hate it lol.

...although I'd hate for a teacher to insult me when I got something wrong. They can get in serious trouble for that lol.

Edit: during the last break between lessons, a kid tried to beat another kid up. While he was at it, someone else was filming him. The kid who was doing the, um, beating up went and CALLED THE POLICE. Discuss.

lol, the funny is thing is I didn't tell you about my Chemistry/Physics teacher yet! He is legendary, the English teacher is no match, I just thought It would take a lot of time writing about him so I wont for now.

And about the beating up.... WTF?! You're saying the one who was BEATING UP called the police? And the situation is on his favor? How so, and care to tell us how it ended up O_O

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Okay, bare with what I post because I am not from the US and the system in my country, Singapore, might be different from yours. I am also quite curious about the Education System in your countries.
    I just want to know what people in the US or the UK around my age are learning now in Maths (Mathematics). I actually just started learning Logarithms and I am Secondary 3. (Grade 9, I guess?)
    Okay, as for teachers talk, I really love my school's teachers, they are really great as friends, most of them play computer games as well so we get a long really well. (not surprised as all, teachers have a life too)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Okay, bare with what I post because I am not from the US and the system in my country, Singapore, might be different from yours. I am also quite curious about the Education System in your countries.
    I just want to know what people in the US or the UK around my age are learning now in Maths (Mathematics). I actually just started learning Logarithms and I am Secondary 3. (Grade 9, I guess?)
    Okay, as for teachers talk, I really love my school's teachers, they are really great as friends, most of them play computer games as well so we get a long really well. (not surprised as all, teachers have a life too)

I was introduced to logarithms in tenth grade (age 15/16), and I was actually a year ahead of the "average" students in my school.

I'm actually curious to learn what other countries label their academic levels as well. I know that the U.S. is the only country where there's no distinction between the words "college" and "university" other than the physical size of the institution itself. In other countries, college is equivalent to American high school from what I hear.

Anyways, in the U.S., it's something like this:

Kindergarten - age 5/6
    first grade - age 6/7
    second grade - age 7/8
    third grade - age 8/9
    fourth grade - age 9/10
    fifth grade - age 10/11
    sixth grade - age 11/12
    seventh grade - age 12/13
    eighth grade - age 13/14
    ninth grade - age 14/15
    tenth grade - age 15/16
    eleventh grade - age 16/17
    twelfth grade - age 17/18
    Higher education - age 18/whenever you complete it.

Nihilego

Years
  • And about the beating up.... WTF?! You're saying the one who was BEATING UP called the police? And the situation is on his favor? How so, and care to tell us how it ended up O_O

I'm saying that lmao. He was being an idiot because he didn't want to be filmed. He got through to the police and they ignored him telling him to take it to a teacher... lol.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Bahbahbah I have a booktest tomorrow and I didn't read the book, normally I can work them with nothing more than a summary but this is about facts, so I cannot improvise with philosophical theory stuff uurgghh

I did get a good grade on my geography test today which really made my day tbh.

SORRY IF OFF-TOPIC THIS IS A BIG DEAL TO ME

oh also crazy @ rl

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I was introduced to logarithms in tenth grade (age 15/16), and I was actually a year ahead of the "average" students in my school.

I'm actually curious to learn what other countries label their academic levels as well. I know that the U.S. is the only country where there's no distinction between the words "college" and "university" other than the physical size of the institution itself. In other countries, college is equivalent to American high school from what I hear.

Anyways, in the U.S., it's something like this:

Kindergarten - age 5/6
    first grade - age 6/7
    second grade - age 7/8
    third grade - age 8/9
    fourth grade - age 9/10
    fifth grade - age 10/11
    sixth grade - age 11/12
    seventh grade - age 12/13
    eighth grade - age 13/14
    ninth grade - age 14/15
    tenth grade - age 15/16
    eleventh grade - age 16/17
    twelfth grade - age 17/18
    Higher education - age 18/whenever you complete it.

Thanks for clarifying me.

I have a Physics test on Tuesday and I have no idea on what to do. c:

Hopefully mom will sign that sheet and end this. >_>
    LOL, physics, they make me cry at times, hopefully you will ace the test despite not knowing anything or if you get a bad grade (hopefully not) your mom will sign the paper and pretend nothing had happened.
    Good luck!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Rah students!

I'm a university student, in my last (3rd) year of studying Zoology :3

It sounds like I play with fluffy animals all day, I don't ;_;. Instead I have hell loads of coursework to do, some of which is in for next week and I still have a few thousand words to write! Hurrah.

#slightstress

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Rah students!

I'm a university student, in my last (3rd) year of studying Zoology :3

It sounds like I play with fluffy animals all day, I don't ;_;. Instead I have hell loads of coursework to do, some of which is in for next week and I still have a few thousand words to write! Hurrah.

#slightstress

Wow, that's a bit unfortunate. :<
    Zoology sounds like it would be fun, but instead it's that. I used to grow up even wanting to get into zoology or something related since I grew up around so many animals.

But hey, at least you're near graduation! Then you'll get to have fun with animals.

Nihilego

Years
  • Probably better to tell her how you're doing in school though lol. Don't you think it's something she'd want to know, assuming she cares?

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
    Years
  • Hello! I'm from the Philippines myself and our education program is kind of outdated... We still use the K+10 system and not yet the K+12. I'm an outgoing sophomore high school student and incoming junior high school student... It's is our summer vacation so no school! But the week before it was horror! Finals, Completion of requirements... =/

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    Probably better to tell her how you're doing in school though lol. Don't you think it's something she'd want to know, assuming she cares?

No doubt about this, not letting your parents in on your academic performance counts as one hell of a Himalayan blunder.

Back