• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stupid Mistakes You Made In Your First Pokemon Game

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
    Let's face it, we've all made stupid mistakes in Pokemon games, especially in our very first one. The very first one I bought was Ruby back in '03. I was 9 back then. Here are some of the dumb mistakes I made in that game:

1. Did an unintentional solo run with my starter. I never caught a single Pokemon until I finally reached Mauville.
    2. Using the Master Ball to catch a wild Numel. I thought it was an ordinary Poke Ball at the time.
    3. I couldn't figure out how to get through Granite Cave, even with a strategy guide in front of me, and I read at a sixth grade level back then.
    4. Challenged the Elite Four with my starter, which was Lvl 45, the Numel I caught, Lvl 14, and a Lvl 20 Swellow. I beat Sidney and Phoebe somehow, but lost to Glacia.

Ah, the memories. Now it's your turn.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2010
    I tried to Solo the game with a gara.
    That was when I was younger and got up to Lance and could never win.

THEN I did with with an Amphy.

cystar

Favorite Pokemon is Politoed
    Years
    i used to only use my starter in blue my first game then i got yellow and kept loosing to brock casue oif pika

Then i remember i used my masterball on an abra and i would constantly look in the wild for bulbasor and squirtle

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Well, I know I wasted attack slots on a couple Pokemon in Red with Focus Energy, thinking it actually *did* something. :P

I think the stupidest thing I did the first time I got red was walk directly past the door to Blaine's gym without the key while the girl pacing around underneath was one square below me.
    IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY
    The girl wouldn't move and the notification forced me to turn around and walk a step downwa-- oh wait, there's a person there. Better turn the other way instea-- IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY.

I had to shut off the game and start over from last save.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    My first starter was Squirtle, so at least I never had the Brock problem. :laugh:
    I did forget (and still forget) that my Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill was weak to Poison attacks. RIP Weedle.
    Though to be fair, THEY'RE POISON POKEMON. :P

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Not going back to check whether or not the Aqua Grunts had dissappeared from in front of the museum in Emerald. xD

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    one of the stupid mistakes i made in my red version was i caught missingno. it messed up my game so bad i had to restart.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    in gold, i tried to and acutally got pretty far through whirl islands without using flash. however, i got stuck, didn't know how to get out ended up creating a new file

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    I could never beat the elite four, I thought items were for the weak.
    Also i couln't get past rock tunnel so i trained and trained
    i had a pikachu at level 34 charizard at level 46 a venasaur at level 38 and a nidoqueen level 29 BEAST!

Unionhack

Yes Indeed
    Years
    Well, let's see. In blue, I made every single possible pokemon learn flash, sold all my TMs, only caught five pokemon in addition to my starter, and used my master ball on a caterpie by accident. Needless to say, I started over, with a much more successful run this time around.

Years
    In yellow, deciding that the best I could get to beat Brock was Pidgeotto. D:
    In silver, Caught a wild Donphan with my master ball (I honestly thought it was the coolest pokemon I'd seen)

psh! Kids..

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2010
    Well, I made a stupid mistake in Diamond, because that was my first game. Instead of usiing my Master-Ball on Dialga, I killed it and used my Master Ball on Azelf. I felt like an Idiot.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I didn't get the game till I was fairly old ... waiting isn't fun, but I guess it payed off in a way. :P

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    Well, I made a stupid mistake in Diamond, because that was my first game. Instead of usiing my Master-Ball on Dialga, I killed it and used my Master Ball on Azelf. I felt like an Idiot.

Dialga and Palkia are like the easiest legendary Pokemon to catch, Pokeballs and full health ftw. So that's not too bad ^^

I spent AGES in Red version trying to get out of Pallet Town, like to the left and right. I also had a dream (I think?) of Onix Cave and it was somewhere above Pallet, I spent more ages trying to find that and failing T^T
    My lack of reading also lead me to get stuck at the old man who needed his coffee.
    Ohh yeah, I also went through Rock Tunnel without Flash cuz I didn't know about it.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Oh jeez, mistakes made in Blue...a ton of them. I was such a noob back then. XD Umm...I believe I KO'd Zapdos because I thought it was a boss fight, didn't realise you could start a new game so I only ever played through it once, couldn't even work out how to leave my house for about a million years right at the start...gosh. XD

Mistake I made when I first played Diamond: I thought Buizel was cool. Youch.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    Oh jeez, mistakes made in Blue...a ton of them. I was such a noob back then. XD Umm...I believe I KO'd Zapdos because I thought it was a boss fight, didn't realise you could start a new game so I only ever played through it once, couldn't even work out how to leave my house for about a million years right at the start...gosh. XD

Mistake I made when I first played Diamond: I thought Buizel was cool. Youch.

Ohh yeah! I remember not being able to leave my house in Red version as well. That was painful T^T

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Your room seems ridiculously big if you look at the size of the bed, and apparently it takes up the entire top floor of the house. And you're ten. XD It's amazing you even find your way to the living room.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Amazingly, I can't remember much from my first playthrough of my old Blue version. I know in later playthroughs, I got my game erased by the Mew glitch, but that's it. XD

Far more memorable for me was my brother's first playthrough if Red (that by virtue of being the nice older brother I am, I helped him a bit...a lot). Because it took us forever to figure out how to get past the cranky coffee man, we had a charizard around lv.50 by the time we reached Lavender Town, we eventually erased Slash from him to teach him Swords Dance thinking the latter was an offensive attack, the team we beat Champion Blue with consisted of a lv.95 Charizard, and a Pidgeotto, Beedrill, Raticate, Graveler, and Golbat hovering around lv.30. XD

Back