• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stupid Mistakes You Made In Your First Pokemon Game

Emlam

Old School
Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Ooh, I remember something now - I was messing with my cousin's Gold game and didn't know how to Withdraw Pokemon, so I released her Togepi. D:

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
  • (Attention: I started to play Pokémon with 6 years old, I'm portuguese and in that time i didn't even know a single word in english, so..)

My Pokémon Red mistakes:
    - Name my character, the rival and my starter the same names.
    - Didn't know how to catch pokémon, the first one was Digglt in Digglet cave.
    - Throw away all tm's, thinkink they didn't do nothing (The first one I used was Fissure, one of the last we receive..)
    - Put a Magikarp at day care, forget me of that for a long time.. it goes from the level 7 to 86.
    - Didn't know how to work with boxes: I release my Eevee when I was trying to put it on my party.
    - Didn't catch Zapdos and Moltres, thinking they're common pokémons.
    - Do the Missingno glitch to get infinite Masterballs. When I face Mewtwo, I only have 'one' masterball (I didn't noticed it's 100!), so, I didn't catch Mewtwo.
    - Hiper Beam rocks! I put that attack in all of my pokémons that could learn it.
    - Do the Missigno Glitch with Old Rod on 6th place.. now I can't place it on pc storage.
    - Go to safari zone and catch all pokémons that appear, because I thought if I run, I got out of safari zone. Result: I have a lot of Nidorans.

And I think that are 'only' these ones :)

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    I consider my brother's Red my first Pokemon game, and I deleted it. Biggest mistake ever! He was ultra pissed. ^^;

When I was still new to the games, I kept dying in the caves hehe.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    gold: my ho-oh ran out of PP for sacred fire, so i replaced it with strength. i thought it never restored when healed

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i remembered another stupid mistake. i used my master ball on the ghost in lavender town. i really wanted to catch it so i tried the masterball then saved after i failed to catch it. waste of a masterball

Years
  • Back when i was young and played pokemon red I used to add new moves to my pokemon cause they sounded cool and when I try to use it I find out that its a bad move and then the moveset was messed up for me.

Years
  • Wow i remember back in Red i used the master ball to catch a Ponyta. My friend had told me that if i hit the "B" button really fast it'd increase my chances of catching it. Guess he was right in a way........

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • I got stuck in cerelian city.

For over a month.

I had to ask someone how to get out.

Then I caught missingno and tryed to get it in the hall of fame. I had to RESTART EVERYTHING.

Years
  • Well my first game was Ruby when I was somewhere around 7 years old?
    I failed so epicly that I can not even explain it.

I used my masterball on a lv 2 zigzagoon because I never caught one before and I thought the MasterBall was just had a fancy name and made you're pokemon lv 200(lol)
    Could not find May for about a week(I looked everywhere exepct where she was)
    I also thought that I could solo the whole thing but failed epicly when I found out my torchic was underleved and was weak againts rock

These are just 3 of my fails lol

TmsRaider

Gotta Catch 'em all
    Years
  • I solo-ed the game until I reached Misty, I had a charmander D:

Its still a charmander even though its lvl 100 now, because I thought I could speed up the evolution so I spammed the button, and it stopped evolving. D: Didn't bother to restart, because I didn't save and no way I'm going to walk through Moon Cave again.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    Using a Masterball on a Kricketune (thank goodness I get one around the end of the game...).

Years
  • probably using a master ball on a terrible pokemon. i think i used it on pikachu or something haha, i was like 5 when red and blue came out

`MorningSun

Blahblahblah...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2015
    I didn't have a clue about type advantages, natures, stats, or anything.
    Most fun days of my life.

My first game was emerald when I was about 7 or 8.

• Losing to my rival everytime. Didn't understand type advantages.
    • Tried solo running the whole game with mudkip. Fighting the E4 with a level 60 something Swampert. Took 7 Full Restores, 4 Revives & 2 Full Revives to beat them.
    • Traded $20 for friends Marshtomp with Waterfall and Surf. Figured out you had to beat gyms to use HMs.. and eventually I got waterfall around 5 minutes after I traded my $20.

BlazingShadow

Stealth God
    Years
  • Well me I traded my starter Pokemon Torchic for a wurmple. My friend fool me that I must press this button and that. Also I beat the whole game without my starter because of that.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I played my first PKMN game when I was 8 so I kind of bypassed most of the stupidity that a lot of people have (though any game I played before that is embarrassing to talk about xD).

I don't think I personally have any stories, save maybe using rare candies to level up all my pokemon, but my brother... ffffff. I still make fun of him for using our master ball in Red on a Snorlax. D: From then on I refused to share the Pokémon games with my brother with good reason. XD

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    To be fair, in R/B/Y at least using the Masterball on an Abra or something isn't that bad - it's a sure way to catch a Pokemon you need, and there is no Pokemon in R/B/Y (barring glitches, maybe) that requires a MB for capture. I saved mine and was a little disappointed I did. I had no use for it. Freezing Mewtwo makes it easy enough to catch with an Ultra ball, the Birds just need Great Balls and I've heard of people catching them in Pokeballs.
    I think I eventually ended up using it on a stupid little Pokemon after all, just so it wasn't taking up room in my backpack. :P

Back