• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Subtitles, ew/yay!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I always try to watch live action films on their original language, so I appreciate having subtitles in case I miss something... or in case I just don't speak said language XD

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
    Since most of the of the time, the language is English, which I can speak and understand to a certain extent, and I hate dubs; I love them(subtitles). I don't even read them most of the time so ...

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Subtitles are great even I have studied English about 6 and half years. Younger people learns new words with subtitles. Tbh idc but I don't see any problem neither. And Palladium said dubs, I love Pokémon Finnish dub. Especially Dawn's, Ash's and Brock's dub.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    I'm pretty much indifferent about subtitles. They don't bug me in any way, and are even helpful sometimes because I do have a hard time hearing sometimes. But if they aren't there, I don't care. xD

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Unless I understand the language, subs are important to me. Subs appear in every single show from where I come from, so its not being like an eyesore to me.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
    Matters what it is. What annoys me is when people will rant about subs being better then subs and you not being a "true fan" if you watch dubs. Some people just like to hear things in there own language.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I have no preference really, subs have never bothered me. The only thing I don't like is when live action films are dubbed, subs are vastly superior to that.

Years
    I don't mind subtitles at all. Even if for some reason the DVD player puts them on during an English movie I'm not fussed (everyone else seems to get angered by them though :S). In regards to foreign media, I prefer the subtitles as opposed to English dubs. With both Advent Children and Bleach the Japanese voice actors are far better than their English counterparts. I don't know why but English voice actors have this strange habit of over-acting everything they say.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I actually prefer having subtitles, sometimes I couldn't understand what a character is saying especially when their accent is kind of different and hard to follow up. Plus, I usually watch movies late at night and I don't want to have a very loud speakers and wake my neighbors up. XD

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    For some reason I enjoy having them on... I don't know how it came about but meh, it's not hurting anyone. Plus it helps when I have to have the TV quiet or can't understand something. :3

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
    I've watched so many anime subs that subtitles don't really effect me. If anything, I'd say I prefer them since I'm able to comprehend words better than what I visually see.

Knight of Time

I like Homestuck
    Years
    Even why it's in a language I'm relatively good at, I like subtitles, they help me to catch up if they speak too fast or if I can't hear something, because of external noise, or even if the movie's audio have poor quality
    Shame I can't find subbed movies on the cinema nowadays

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    i can never watch a film on DVD without having to turn on subtitles... unless, of course, i can manage to watch that certain film with high definition speakers in a closed room (like a cinema).

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    I usually have the subtitles on, regardless of what language the movie is in. Since I watch mostly Anime, I need subs since my knowledge of Japanese is deplorable (and my slight preference for non-english-dubbed anime or anime that don't always get dubbed kinda links me to the original dub). I don't really care when I watch English movies since my English is relatively good, though I subs are handy to fully understand what's going on. I prefer English subs over Dutch (my motherlanguage) because sometimes the wording in English is just better than in Dutch. (not thinking of the horrible quality subs on official Dutchsubbed Anime releases)

Dutch is very rich in accents (Flemmish-Dutch as well as the several accents ranging from east to west) so I kind of prefer subs for Dutch series/movies as well. : V Being from East of East-Flanders, it's hard to understand West-Flemmish now and then. :V

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I have no grudge against subtitles. Unless I'm familiar with the spoken language, I turn the subtitles on. I need them. We need them (Unless, of course, you like trying to make out what the characters on screen are saying, from their body language). If I understand the spoken language, then I find subtitles a little distracting, because idk.. my eyes are just kind of directed there. No real bother though.

In Fair Verona

4BR4 C4D4V3R
    Years
    For films that require them, being from other countries, I'm fine with, but having the subtitles up for something that I can understand clearly does, for some reason, annoy me. It's just pointless, having to put up with subtitles when I know what people are saying. I had a phase (I was 9 or 10) of turning the subtitles on no matter what I was watching, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Years
    It's no big deal broski. I have a preference to English dubs but as long as I can understand and enjoy what's going on in the film / show / whatever, it's all good.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I like having me some subtitles. Maybe it's from all my anime, but even in English, sometimes I can understand the written word better than the spoken word, especially when it's someone who doesn't have a particularly clear-sounding voice

Back