• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Mario Bros. No Power-Ups Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • ScrewAttacks-Video-Game-Vault-Super-Mario-Bros.-Random-Facts-of-Miyamotos-Mario.jpg

No Power-Ups Challenge!

Introduction & FAQ

Following the Legend of Zelda Challenge, this is the Super Mario challenge, celebrating the upcoming release of Super Mario 3D World! In this challenge, as the name suggests, try to complete a Super Mario Bros. game with out using any power ups, which includes Mushrooms, Fire Flowers, Super Capes, and so on. A tough feat this might be, but, try your best!

Rules

• The final day to post all logs and progress is November 22nd, (or about a month from now) which is when the event will end!
    • Please don't use any cheat devices or codes. D:
    • If you want to join, refer to the Sign-Up Section below!
    • Feel free to use emulators if you wish - you don't have to play these games on a normal handheld or console!
    • Try to jot down your progress in this thread - juuust to see that you're at least attempting it, if its a little tough to beat.
    • Yoshi's are allowed, since... I don't really see them as "power-ups" per se, but, that's up to you!
    • Got any other questions? Feel free to ask in this thread!

Restrictions & Legitbility

Some Mario games require you to power ups in order to advance through the game, like Super Mario Galaxy, or Super Mario 64, in which, you'll won't be allowed to do the challenge on games like those. So, barring that, you're allowed to do this challenge on any of these Super Mario games below, but keep in mind some things to watch out for, which I'll put in brackets:

~ Super Mario Bros.
    ~ Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
    ~ Super Mario Bros. 2 (in which you're automatically big, but, you can't pick up Mushrooms)
    ~ Super Mario Bros. 3
    ~ Super Mario World (and Super Mario World Advance, in which in this case, watch out for checkpoints - they make you bigger)
    ~ Super Mario Land
    ~ Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    ~ New Super Mario Bros.
    ~ Super Mario 3D Land (some power ups like the propeller hat is needed in order to advance, but try and not to collect fire flowers, mushrooms, etc.)
    ~ New Super Mario Bros. 2
    ~ New Super Mario Bros. U

Prizes

Aw, but, what's a little event-challenge without prizes in store? You may be able to get these two emblems for participating, and going beyond that (but that is up to you!):

MU4IJyW.gif
    EiJreik.gif

Sign-Up

If you want to participate, fill out this SUS below!

Username:
    Game:

For example:
    Username: LGDArm
    Game: Super Mario World

Challengers

Spoiler:

(css made by TwilightBlade)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well I bit off more then I could chew last time with Adventure of Link (i don't know WHAT I was thinking) but this time I'm FAR more confident.

Name:DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Game: Super Mario Land 2: Legend of the 6 Golden Coins

Also out of curiosity why did Super Mario Land not make the list?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Username: Perdition Haze.
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land.

This is going to be quite a tough challenge, in my opinion. I always end up getting myself hit by Goombas, since they tend to rush into you whenever you're near them. I'll try to avoid them as much as possible this time around, because if I don't—game over. xD

Good luck to everyone else who are participating!

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Username: jsziede
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land

I missed the Zelda challenge so I shall do this one instead :P
    My dependence on power-ups (mainly the Tanooki Suit) will make this very challenging, especially with my habits of collecting every power-up in sight. Good luck everyone!

Years
  • Username: Moustachio

I'm going to try to beat this game without taking any shortcuts. In other words, I am going to destroy all 7 castles in order before taking on Bowser.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Oh fun, I may try this. Could I participate on New Super Mario Bros. for DS?

Siiince it's on the list, yes you can~!

Anyway, just to track my progress so far:

~ Beat Yoshi's Island 1
    ~ Beat Yoshi's Island 2
    ~ Unlocked the Yellow Switch Palace
    ~ Beat Yoshi's Island 3 (which was insanely easy with the Yellow Blocks unlocked!)
    ~ Beat Yoshi's Island 4 (kind of tricky, because of the spikes in the water, but, it as fine)
    ~ Beat Iggy's Castle

All in all, the Yoshi's Island stage was pretty easy with no powerups, but well, it was the first course, soooo, I guess it's as to be expected.

~ Beat Donut Plains 1
    ~ Beat Donut Plains 2 (which I used Yoshi for means to fly towards the secret key)
    ~ Unlocked Green Switch Palace
    ~ Beat Donut Ghost House (thought it'd be harder, buuut it was more tricky, ahaha)
    ~ Beat Donut Plains 3

Annnd which brings me to Donut Plains 4. I didn't unlock the secret from Donut Plains 1 to the secret Donut Plains course yet, but, maybe after Donut Plains 4 I will. I hope the 2nd castle won't be too hard... ugh.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Username: Spinosaurus
    Game: Mario 3D Land

Regarding Mario 3D Land, do the special world count? Or it just the first 8 worlds?

And I'd love to see anyone here beating The Lost Levels at all, let alone beating it without power ups. lmao.

EDIT: Are infinite 1-up tricks allowed?

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Username: Spinosaurus
    Game: Mario 3D Land

Regarding Mario 3D Land, do the special world count? Or it just the first 8 worlds?

And I'd love to see anyone here beating The Lost Levels at all, let alone beating it without power ups. lmao.

EDIT: Are infinite 1-up tricks allowed?

As long as they're not ~cheat codes~ of any sort.
    Then by all means!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Ah, in case I see myself dying a lot (lol) I'll do the world 1-2 1-up trick.

Also, as an extra, I'll avoid flags. Completely forgot it counts as a mushroom if you're small Mario. And also get hit on purpose since you start as big mario.

EDIT: Also you didn't answer my special world questions.

EDIT2: Well, that's world 1 done. Died from some stupid mistakes...man I'm rusty. I'm pseudo-speedrunning btw.
    EDIT3: World 2 done...only died once.
    EDIT4: World 3 done :P
    EDIT5: World 4! And I'm done with the day. In 1 hour I beat half of the game. :V

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Oh, the special world - technically you can be finished with the challenge if you beat all 8 courses. It's just something extra, imo. Doing the challenge on that world is up to you.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016

I can't for the life of me beat it without savestating, so minus the powerups is just hell

Username: Airbourne Bubblun

I might do this in vids, in spoilers, as proof. Anyway, I'm guessing midway points are out of the question?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I can't for the life of me beat it without savestating, so minus the powerups is just hell

Username: Airbourne Bubblun

I might do this in vids, in spoilers, as proof. Anyway, I'm guessing midway points are out of the question?

The mid way points make you grow bigger, so, I'm afraid not. D:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Username: chuckles Lucifer
    Game: super Mario bros (the NES classic for gba)

It'll be easier for me to play this since i own the game and using an emulator can be hardbwith they key mappings

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    So far, I've beaten three levels from world one. In the first level, I almost got myself disqualified by running into one of those checkpoint flags. They do count as power-ups, don't they? I was able to stop just two to three seconds before touching it though, so that's good! Phew. I may end up running into one of these at some future level, though. They're just so impossible to avoid. D: I was pretty close to get struck by a red mushroom as well, but I avoided it by jumping over. Out of the three levels I've faced today, the hardest would prooobably have to be the last. That level had so many obstacles, it was ridiculous. I've lost about two lives trying to successfully complete it. Lives are quite rare when you're in a challenge like this, since the only way to obtain them is by collecting a hundred coins.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Alright my progress so far:

Started about an hour and a half ago. Made it through World 1 pretty easily although I did lose all of my lives once and had to start over at the Bowser Jr. castle. Besides that though,I ha d no problems. Defeated the bowser in that world easily. Now I'm at World 2, it's a little harder. The Pokey's in 2-1 were such a pan to get through, I lost about three lives trying to dodge them. The lakitu level was easy, I didn't lose a single life. I died before I got to the Bowser Jr. castle so I had to restart, but was bale to get there fine on my second try. I got through the Bowser Jr. castle with 1 life left and 97 coins. I'm currently at 2-5.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Update #1:

World 1 was fairly easy. I died a couple times on the second level because my depth perception was off. I also died once on the bonus level that costs 3 star coins because, once again, my depth perception was off (by that I mean I jumped right into a Goomba). Bowser's level was much easier than I remembered, I must be thinking of the later levels. I stopped after the first level of the second world. I had to jump off of the edge the first time because a wild Tanooki leaf appeared (directly above me).

Years
  • Yesterday afternoon, I made some significant progress on Super Mario World. I will list all the levels I have beaten so far. This checklist is long because it contains all 96 exits in the game so I'll keep it inside the spoiler tags.

Spoiler:

Out of those levels I have completed, I found Vanilla Dome 1 and Cheese Bridge Area's secret exit to be challenging. For Vanilla Dome 1, it was the second room in particular. That is the room where you collect a star and run on a sinking yellow platform to kill enemies before the platform goes in lava. This is a lot harder since the star is banned. The trick was to eat the Buzzy Beetles with Yoshi while running at full speed. Slowing down for even a second means the end for both of you. It took me several tries to pull these off and I had to make a trip to Yoshi's Island 2 to pick up a new Yoshi after every failed attempt.

For Cheese Bridge Area secret exit, it was just getting to the end of the level that was annoying. Luckily, there was a Yoshi to get in the Cookie Mountain level right next door.

An epic fail moment occurred early in the playthrough. I attempted to complete Star World 1. However, that level is full of yellow blocks which can only be destroyed using a power-up. The game even leaves a Super Mushroom to taunt me. I pretty much had no choice but to let the time expire and turn around.

I'm tempted to complete as many exits as possible. As of now, it looks like 93 exits is the highest amount possible.

Years
  • And I'd love to see anyone here beating The Lost Levels at all, let alone beating it without power ups. lmao.

Username: Pixelrushe
    Game: Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

I'm gonna do it. I feel like someone has to try, at least. I have actually beaten this game ONCE before after God knows how many rage-quits and with that being said, I probably won't be able to finish this challenge buuuuut I'll give it my best shot. FYI, I'll be playing the 25th Anniversary Edition port for the Wii if that's OK? I think I have a Dazzle somewhere so I'll try to record my progress as proof. ^^

Oh and are you allowed to play multiple games?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back