• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tall Grass - Your thoughts?

Years
  • Guys, we all know what tall grass means - a chance of running into wild Pokemon.

Here's an example of tall grass:

In every new generation we got changes to the grass.

And also with it comes super-tall grass that prevents bicycles from entering, like the grass in these images below:

That kind of grass is found in: National Park (Johto), Routes 119 & 120 (Hoenn), Route 210 (Sinnoh) and Route 7 (Unova). Also, there's a small patch of super-tall grass on Route 214 in Sinnoh.

I am not such a fan of the super-tall grass cos it bothers me and I love riding my bike. I just wish they get rid of it in the next generation.

Also in Unova, we now get shaking grass patches where you can find rare Pokemon including Audino which are helpful for training against.

Not to forget, in BW they introduced dark grass that has high-level Pokemon and the chance of double wild encounters.

So, what are your thoughts on tall grass in the games?

Which Generation of games had the best designed tall grass?

Do you often use Repels if necessary?

Do you usually run from Pokemon you find boring or do you fight them for extra EXP?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Tall grass has always annoyed me. I can't see my player that well, nor can I ride my bike. So it's more of a pain and it doesn't really add anything new or amazing to the series, so idk why it's still around. I don't use Repels, I sell them. And I never run from a battle, unless there's no way I can win, like in the beginning if I'm against Geodude and don't have anything that can beat it. Why would I run away from EXP? Or repel possible shinies? Seems stupid to me. The only exception to Repels is in BW, since they changed the EXP gain and when I get Surf to go through routes 17 and 18, those Frillish don't help me none.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I Repel the heck out of everywhere I go. I like to do my shiny hunting after I beat the game once, that way all my focus can go to that. Super tall grass does annoy me. Not for something like, the Pokemon encounter rate or whatever, it just plain annoys me. The shaking grass introduced in B/W I thought was pretty neat, actually. It gave me my first shiny in B/W, so heck, I love it!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Unless I'm specifically hunting for something or level grinding, I will use repels. The super-tall grass is especially annoying in Emerald because your character also has a green color scheme and can virtually disappear into the grass.

Random encounters in any game tend to frustrate me unless I'm specifically looking for things to defeat for experience. Pokemon in tall grass is no different.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I pretty much always use Repels, unless grinding/whatever. Mostly, I grind in specific locations because of EV's and it bothers me if I don't factor them in. I usually run away from most Pokemon, so using Repels makes sense. EXP doesn't matter too much, I care more about EV's anyway.

I thought that the super tall grass was kinda cool. It really stood out and you can remember it easily, but other than aesthetic appeal, there isn't much else going for it. It's annoying you can't ride your bike through, since mostly I rush through Routes.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • I can't ever be bothered to use repels myself, even though I may sometimes be absolutely annoyed by getting jumped at by a low-level pokémon I can easily one-hit while I am in a hurry for something.

I've never really had any qualms about the existence of tall grass by itself, I suppose it's an easy way of knowing at which spots pokémon will show up and at which ones won't, so it's possible to more strategically move around to walk over as few tall grass tiles as possible.

Alec Empire

Are you ready to testify?
    Years
  • Honestly? It's a real pain in the butt to walk through, and itm akes me feel vulnerable, for some reason.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I'll use a repel if there's nothing in the grass for me to find and the patches are frequent enough to warrant using one, but I usually just don't bother and save repels for caves. I can usually one-shot most wild pokemon, so encounters only really become a nuisance in dungeons.

I think the tall grass in HGSS had the best design for the tall grass, all of the others look a little... odd in comparison.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Tall grass is useful for catching new Pokemon or training for EXP, but it's a pain to walk through when you're trying to get to another place as soon as possible (I use Repels when I feel like it). I didn't like Gen III's extremely tall grass; it forced me into a walking speed.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I like grass, but to tell the the truth, I really like tall grass. I'm not sure why, it's just cool to have. I guess cause they didn't have it in the early games

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I never use repel because I want to find a shiny and have never managed to ;;

But as for tall grass in general? I avoid Hoenn's because of the trainers hiding nearby, while in other games I don't really avoid it since I don't mind not being able to bike through it, for some reason.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2012
    I'm the kind of guy who only searches for the Pokemon I want, so I always stock up on repels so I'm not running into Bidoof, Pidgey, and all the other Pokemon I don't want to have to bother fighting. Obviously, training is an exception, but in most cases, I avoid the wild Pokemon in the tall grass.

The really tall grass in Hoenn and Unova is probably my least favorite type of grass, since there are often trainers hiding in there, not to mention it takes forever to get through and is infested with wild Pokemon.

Years
  • What I hated about the super-tall grass was that it just like, angered me.

In Hoenn, I couldn't see where I was going, it was littered with wet weather, so many Pokemon kept popping up and also that group of Trainers known as the "Mimic Circle". I couldn't even run through, which was aggravating.

The super-tall grass on Route 7 in Unova is even worse, it concealed a lot of Trainers, littered with Pokemon and the worst moment of all was when I was going to Celestial Tower, I was stocked up on Quick Balls to use to catch Elgyem, I then went on a walkway and suddenly the grass was shaking. I went "Oh my god!", fell into the grass and ran into an Emolga. That is why I absolutely hate Route 7, I did do one return to catch a Sentret but I will never return there. If I want another Litwick or Elgyem, I'll just breed it.

Route 210 in Sinnoh's super-tall grass didn't conceal much, but it is still my least fave Sinnoh location along with Mt. Coronet and Route 216/217.

The super-tall grass in Johto's National Park was there for nothing, considering there is regular grass there too plus they contain the same Pokemon anyway.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I never cared much about Repels but the super-tall grass is something Game Freak needs to remove in future generations.
    I don't think they should actually. I love tall grass, it's exciting and it adds variation to the game instead of always having low grass everywhere. And I enjoy cutting tall grass hhahah, I used to do that all the time. HGSS had nice tall grass, and I like the gen I tall grass too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2012
    I've never really minded it. I just breezed through and killed all the pokemon that attacked me and kept going. No second thoughts.

Years
  • I don't think they should actually. I love tall grass, it's exciting and it adds variation to the game instead of always having low grass everywhere. And I enjoy cutting tall grass hhahah, I used to do that all the time. HGSS had nice tall grass, and I like the gen I tall grass too.

There was no super-tall grass in Kanto.

Back