• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team of Tanks

KodakKid3

Aggron
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    This is the full team (In detail) I'm wanting on Omega Ruby when it comes out, I'd love feedback on it.

This will be the first competitive team I've made, but I'm really just picking Pokemon that I like, so, although they are all powerful pokemon, I'm not too sure how I would get them to work well together.

I'm also wondering who I should use as my lead -- I was thinking of Aggron, because of my favoritism to him and because of his huge amount of resistances and because he's generally powerful against all types - however, his Ground/Fighting weaknesses could destroy him if I'm unlucky. If not him, then maybe Avalugg would work?

And note that it's basically an entire team of tanks and I won't be changing that.

Aggron
    I tried to take advantage of his Rock Head by giving him extremley powerful moves with otherwise large amounts of recoil.
    Ability: Rock Head
    Moveset: Double Edge, Iron Head, Head Smash, Avalanche
    Nature: Careful
    Item(s): Leftovers, Chople Berry, Aggronite
    EVs: 253 Special Defense, 210 Speed, 48 HP

Avalugg
    Avulugg should be able to take a lot of hits for my team, high HP mixed with Recover should be nice. Will the Life Orb make it difficult for him to do this?
    Ability: Own Tempo
    Moveset: Avalanche, Crunch, Earthquake, Recover
    Item(s): Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Special Defense, 252 HP, 4 Attack

Ferrothorn
    I plan on just trying to keep Ferrothorn alive so he can continue to use Leech Seed and Iron Barbs each turn, as well as his already powerful moves.
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Moveset: Iron Head, Seed Bomb, Leech Seed, Shadow Claw
    Nature: Adamant
    Item(s): Rocky Helmet, Big Root
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Speed

Latios
    Latios is here to provide strong support, easily the fastest member of my team.
    Ability: Levitate
    Moveset: Dragon Pulse, Psychic, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball
    Nature: Bold
    Item(s): Shell Bell, Draco Plate
    EVs: 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Speed

Nidoking
    All of Nidoking's moves should be pretty equal, since Modest nature will raise his Sp.Attack while lowering his Attack.
    Ability: Poison Point
    Moveset: Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt
    Nature: Modest
    Item(s): Black Sludge
    EVs: 255 Speed, 127 Defense, 127 Special Defense

Blastoise
    Ability: Torrent
    Moveset: Scald, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Flash Cannon
    Item(s): Blastoisonite, Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Speed, 200 HP, 56 Special Attack

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Remember that Mega Aggron loses Rock Head in exchange for Filter. This makes its recoil moves undesirable on it, as the recoil eats away at its good bulk:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Heavy Slam/Iron Head
    -Thunder Wave/Ice Punch
    -Earthquake/Rock Slide
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
    Item: Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Heavy Slam/Iron Head
    -Earthquake/Ice Punch
    EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
    Item: Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy

Don't bother with Avalugg. Sure, its Defense is massive, but its bad defensive typing hinders any source of viability it has; it has common weaknesses to Fire, Fighting, Steel and Rock. Better walls to turn to are Gliscor, Zygarde, Wash Rotom, Chansey and Togekiss:

Gliscor:
    -Earthquake
    -Substitute/Knock Off
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 244 HP/100 Def/160 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

or
    -Earthquake/Knock Off
    -Taunt
    -Toxic
    -Roost
    EVs: 244 HP/192 SDef/84 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

Zygarde:
    -Substitute
    -Coil
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Glare
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake
    -Substitute
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Wash Rotom:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Rest
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe (Bold) or 248 HP/216 SDef/44 Spe (Calm)
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry

Togekiss:
    -Thunder Wave
    -Air Slash
    -Heal Bell/Defog/Dazzling Gleam/Aura Sphere/Flamethrower
    -Roost
    Nature: Calm/Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef (Calm) or 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef (Bold)
    Ability: Serene Grace

Chansey:
    -Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Stealth Rock
    -Soft-Boiled
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Eviolite
    Ability: Natural Cure

Ferrothorn is better off using a defensive spread. Its STABs have high base power already, so there's really no need for it to use an offensive spread. That spread also wastes away Ferrothorn's defensive potential:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball/Protect/Knock Off/Thunder Wave
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
    Ability: Iron Barbs

You can't force a walling role on a sweeper like Latios. Its Defense is subpar. Its Special Defense is good, but Latios can still take special hits decently even without investment. You're wasting away Latios' sweeping potential as a result:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fighting)/Earthquake
    -Defog/Roost/Recover
    Nature: Timid/Hasty
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Surf/Trick
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Trick
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Choice Scarf

The stuff I said about Latios also applies to Nidoking. It's frail, even with its defenses invested in. Just stick to a Sheer Force sweeper set; virtually all of Nidoking's special moves benefit from the ability. Poison Point is terrible in comparison:
    -Sludge Wave
    -Earth Power
    -Ice Beam
    -Megahorn/Substitute/Stealth Rock/Fire Blast/Thunderbolt
    Nature: Naive/Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sheer Force

Even then, Nidoking is outclassed by Incarnate Landorus as a Sheer Force user because of the latter's better Special Attack and Speed:
    -Earth Power
    -Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Knock Off/Stealth Rock/Sludge Wave
    Nature: Naive/Timid
    EVs: 4 Atk//252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Earth Power
    -Psychic
    -Sludge Wave/Focus Blast

You can only Mega Evolve once per battle, so Blastoise is ruled out. It's only good in its Mega form. A Wish user is appreciated in its place to heal the Pokemon that lack reliable recovery like Aggron. These include Sylveon and Clefable:

Sylveon:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Calm Mind
    EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SDef
    Ability: Pixilate

Clefable:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Thunder Wave/Heal Bell/Aromatherapy
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Unaware/Magic Guard

KodakKid3

Aggron
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Thank you for all of your help. I recognize that I deny some advice that could help me lot in his response, but that's just where I'm a bit less competitive, and favor more personal preference.

I think I'll get rid of Aggronite for Aggron, and rather use my mega evolution on Latios, Blastoise, or preferably Nidoking when he gets his.

As for Avulugg, I was initially drawn back by his extremely unbalanced stats and poor type effectiveness, but I personally like the pokemon far too much to get rid of him.
    Out of the pokemon you'd suggested, I think I may at some point invest in a powerful Zygarde.

As for Ferrothorn, you're certainly right about a defensive spread for him, and I'm going to change it to that.
    Although, I think a Big Root would aid him far greater than Leftovers seeing as it would boost the amount of health he gains each turn, and the amount of health taken away from his enemy. I also plan on giving Leftovers to other Pokemon, and am going to follow the Smogon guideline of only having one of an item on my team.
    I also prefer more reliable moves (Such as Seed Bomb vs Power Whip and Iron Head vs Gyro Ball) which are already quite powerful. As for a Relaxed nature, although it would help with using Gyro Ball, I will not be, and would prefer Careful or Impish, as they decrease SpAttack, a stat I'd never use either way.

As for Latios, I guess I was trying to compensate for his weaker stats, but you're right, they're already good enough as is, and he's better as fast and powerful.
    And again, I really can't stand using moves such as Draco Meteor, which are less reliable and weaken your pokemon after use, despite how much better they could be.
    With Psyshock however, I see how that could be very useful when going up against someone with high SpDefense, and I'll use that rather than Psychic.
    I had found Ice Beam and Shadow Ball to help Latios more in covering various type effectiveness compared to the rest of my team than Thunderbolt and Surf (Although it was a difficult decision).
    I'd never really understood HidenPowers -- they'd always seemed like a pretty weak attack to me, and it would probably be extremely difficult getting a Latios with a specific one seeing as they cannot breed.
    I'm not much a fan of Trick or Defog, and I feel like Latios's lower HP and Defense would lead to him being a powerful first striker, in which he would win battles until they had type effectivness to take him down fairly quickly, making moves like Recover an Roost less useful.

You're right about Sheer Force being a much better ability than Poison Point -- I just hadn't like the idea of him losing secondary effects, but those would be less useful to him as a strong attacker (With poisoning virtually useless anyway, at this level).
    And with making Nidoking a Special Attacker, it just always seemed so odd to me since he seems like a more physical pokemon, but I guess I'd already done so for the most part anyway. Your moveset does seem much better (Although an Ice Beam I think would be less useful than a Shadow Ball, as many of my other team members have Ice moves).
    And I think a Life Orb would work quite well with him.
    And yeah, Nidoking is completely outclassed by Incarnate Landorus, but there's no way I'd ever use one of them, as it's just so ugly and Nidoking looks so great.

As for Sylveon and Clefable, I could also never use them due to personal preference strongly against them. If I do not end up using Blastoise as my Mega Evolution, I will probably replace him later on. I'm mainly keeping him around for sentimental value as my first starter, and for type differentiation.

Thanks again for all of your help.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Thank you for all of your help. I recognize that I deny some advice that could help me lot in his response, but that's just where I'm a bit less competitive, and favor more personal preference.

I think I'll get rid of Aggronite for Aggron, and rather use my mega evolution on Latios, Blastoise, or preferably Nidoking when he gets his.

As for Avulugg, I was initially drawn back by his extremely unbalanced stats and poor type effectiveness, but I personally like the pokemon far too much to get rid of him.
    Out of the pokemon you'd suggested, I think I may at some point invest in a powerful Zygarde.

As for Ferrothorn, you're certainly right about a defensive spread for him, and I'm going to change it to that.
    Although, I think a Big Root would aid him far greater than Leftovers seeing as it would boost the amount of health he gains each turn, and the amount of health taken away from his enemy. I also plan on giving Leftovers to other Pokemon, and am going to follow the Smogon guideline of only having one of an item on my team.
    I also prefer more reliable moves (Such as Seed Bomb vs Power Whip and Iron Head vs Gyro Ball) which are already quite powerful. As for a Relaxed nature, although it would help with using Gyro Ball, I will not be, and would prefer Careful or Impish, as they decrease SpAttack, a stat I'd never use either way.
    And again, I really can't stand using moves such as Draco Meteor, which are less reliable and weaken your pokemon after use, despite how much better they could be.
    With Psyshock however, I see how that could be very useful when going up against someone with high SpDefense, and I'll use that rather than Psychic.
    I had found Ice Beam and Shadow Ball to help Latios more in covering various type effectiveness compared to the rest of my team than Thunderbolt and Surf (Although it was a difficult decision).
    I'd never really understood HidenPowers -- they'd always seemed like a pretty weak attack to me, and it would probably be extremely difficult getting a Latios with a specific one seeing as they cannot breed.
    I'm not much a fan of Trick or Defog, and I feel like Latios's lower HP and Defense would lead to him being a powerful first striker, in which he would win battles until they had type effectivness to take him down fairly quickly, making moves like Recover an Roost less useful.

You're right about Sheer Force being a much better ability than Poison Point -- I just hadn't like the idea of him losing secondary effects, but those would be less useful to him as a strong attacker (With poisoning virtually useless anyway, at this level).
    And with making Nidoking a Special Attacker, it just always seemed so odd to me since he seems like a more physical pokemon, but I guess I'd already done so for the most part anyway. Your moveset does seem much better (Although an Ice Beam I think would be less useful than a Shadow Ball, as many of my other team members have Ice moves).
    And I think a Life Orb would work quite well with him.
    And yeah, Nidoking is completely outclassed by Incarnate Landorus, but there's no way I'd ever use one of them, as it's just so ugly and Nidoking looks so great.

As for Sylveon and Clefable, I could also never use them due to personal preference strongly against them. If I do not end up using Blastoise as my Mega Evolution, I will probably replace him later on. I'm mainly keeping him around for sentimental value as my first starter, and for type differentiation.

Thanks again for all of your help.
    Ferrothorn would rather go Relaxed if you opt for Gyro Ball. Impish is fine if you don't use Gyro Ball. Ferrothorn is bulky enough to afford the 15% chance of Power Whip missing. It's the preferred option because of its 120 power being more powerful than 80. You do lose out on some power against some notable targets if you opt for Seed Bomb or Iron Head. If you want a Steel STAB, Gyro Ball is always the preferred option because Ferrothorn is so slow that it tends to hit its maximum power of 150 against very fast targets:

Mega Tyranitar:
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 174-206 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 116-138 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 216-254 (63.3 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 116-138 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mega Tyranitar is fairly bulky on its own, but Power Whip and Gyro Ball make significant dents on it, which Seed Bomb and Iron Head can't accomplish.

Quagsire:
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 268-316 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 396-468 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Power Whip OHKOs Quagsire outright no matter what, but Seed Bomb only 2HKOs it, assuming no prior damage.

Garchomp:
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 160-189 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 23% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 127-151 (35.4 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Seed Bomb/Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 85-102 (23.7 - 28.4%) -- 94.4% chance to 4HKO

Seed Bomb and Iron Head are pathetically weak compared to Gyro Ball and Power Whip when they hit Garchomp.

Aggron's viability all stems from its Mega Evolution. Not using it is a no-no. Vanilla Aggron's defensive typing is outright terrible; it's weak to common types in Water, Ground and Fighting. The latter two hurt really badly, as they're 4x strong against Aggron. Not even 180 Defense can save it.

Leftovers is always the superior healing option on walls, including Ferrothorn. Big Root is just a waste of an item slot, as it only works on draining moves. Ferrothorn won't always have time to Leech Seed an opponent, or it may be up against a Grass Pokemon, or a Magic Guard Pokemon (both of these kinds of Pokemon Pokemon are immune to Leech Seed). It's always nice to have a source of passive recovery when you can't Leech Seed something; therefore, Lefties > Big Root.

Some Pokemon are meant to be hit-and-run attackers, which Latios is. It gets in, Draco Meteors for massive damage and gets out. That's very true for the Choice Scarf set, as being locked into a move may be disadvantageous. Ice Beam is redundant with Latios' Dragon STAB. Ice and Dragon shouldn't be used together, really, as both hit Dragons for supereffective damage. You'll always want to go with the type that gives STAB; in that case, use Draco Meteor. Defog is a great move this generation; it clears away entry hazards from both sides of the field. It's useful if you hate Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web with a passion. Latios is supposed to use Defog on any switches it forces, which it can do rather well. Remember that Stealth Rock is a very popular move, and removal of the hazard from your side of the field is incredibly helpful. However, you have to be careful when using Defog because Bisharp can switch in and gain an Attack boost with Defiant when its evasiveness drops. Recover or Roost give Latios more survivability, despite its frailty on the physical end, so that it can keep coming in and out of battle to dish out as much damage as it can. Trick in conjunction with a Choice item is meant to cripple walls that are dependent on their items, like Chansey. If a wall is locked into a single move by a Choice item, its effectiveness is severely hampered because it can't switch moves. As for Hidden Power, it's a nice bonus for Latios to have to hit specific targets; without HP Fire, Ferrothorn walls it completely. Hitting Scizor without resorting to Surf or Thunderbolt is also a nice bonus.

As I mentioned before, don't use Avalugg. Its bad defensive typing hinders its walling capabilities if you didn't get it before. It's also very specially frail, even with significant investment.

Shadow Ball doesn't do much for Nidoking, really. It only hits Ghosts and Psychics, which are already taken care of by Earth Power, Sludge Wave and Megahorn. If your other Ice users are down, it's always nice to have a backup Ice coverage move on Nidoking as a failsafe.

If you keep Blastoise, you'll have to take Aggron out of the team, as its Mega Evolution is the sole reason why it's even used in the first place. And Blastoise should look something like this, as its current EV spread lacks power:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisinite

Rapid Spin is also a staple move in standard play, as it's an alternative method for clearing away entry hazards. However, Ghost Pokemon block Rapid Spin from its hazard-clearing job, which is where Dark Pulse comes into play: Mega Blastoise can blast away incoming Ghost Pokemon eager to block Rapid Spin with Dark Pulse so that it has more opportunities to Rapid Spin away those hazards.

Edit: not everyone plays with item clause (when all Pokemon on the team must hold different items) because multiple Pokemon on the team may need Leftovers or Life Orb to function at their best.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    This is the full team (In detail) I'm wanting on Omega Ruby when it comes out, I'd love feedback on it.
    who said anything about laddering lol

KodakKid3

Aggron
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Ferrothorn would rather go Relaxed if you opt for Gyro Ball. Impish is fine if you don't use Gyro Ball. Ferrothorn is bulky enough to afford the 15% chance of Power Whip missing. It's the preferred option because of its 120 power being more powerful than 80. You do lose out on some power against some notable targets if you opt for Seed Bomb or Iron Head. If you want a Steel STAB, Gyro Ball is always the preferred option because Ferrothorn is so slow that it tends to hit its maximum power of 150 against very fast targets:

Mega Tyranitar:
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 174-206 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 116-138 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 216-254 (63.3 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 116-138 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mega Tyranitar is fairly bulky on its own, but Power Whip and Gyro Ball make significant dents on it, which Seed Bomb and Iron Head can't accomplish.

Quagsire:
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 268-316 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 396-468 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Power Whip OHKOs Quagsire outright no matter what, but Seed Bomb only 2HKOs it, assuming no prior damage.

Garchomp:
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 160-189 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 23% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 127-151 (35.4 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Ferrothorn Seed Bomb/Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 85-102 (23.7 - 28.4%) -- 94.4% chance to 4HKO

Seed Bomb and Iron Head are pathetically weak compared to Gyro Ball and Power Whip when they hit Garchomp.

Aggron's viability all stems from its Mega Evolution. Not using it is a no-no. Vanilla Aggron's defensive typing is outright terrible; it's weak to common types in Water, Ground and Fighting. The latter two hurt really badly, as they're 4x strong against Aggron. Not even 180 Defense can save it.

Leftovers is always the superior healing option on walls, including Ferrothorn. Big Root is just a waste of an item slot, as it only works on draining moves. Ferrothorn won't always have time to Leech Seed an opponent, or it may be up against a Grass Pokemon, or a Magic Guard Pokemon (both of these kinds of Pokemon Pokemon are immune to Leech Seed). It's always nice to have a source of passive recovery when you can't Leech Seed something; therefore, Lefties > Big Root.

Some Pokemon are meant to be hit-and-run attackers, which Latios is. It gets in, Draco Meteors for massive damage and gets out. That's very true for the Choice Scarf set, as being locked into a move may be disadvantageous. Ice Beam is redundant with Latios' Dragon STAB. Ice and Dragon shouldn't be used together, really, as both hit Dragons for supereffective damage. You'll always want to go with the type that gives STAB; in that case, use Draco Meteor. Defog is a great move this generation; it clears away entry hazards from both sides of the field. It's useful if you hate Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web with a passion. Latios is supposed to use Defog on any switches it forces, which it can do rather well. Remember that Stealth Rock is a very popular move, and removal of the hazard from your side of the field is incredibly helpful. However, you have to be careful when using Defog because Bisharp can switch in and gain an Attack boost with Defiant when its evasiveness drops. Recover or Roost give Latios more survivability, despite its frailty on the physical end, so that it can keep coming in and out of battle to dish out as much damage as it can. Trick in conjunction with a Choice item is meant to cripple walls that are dependent on their items, like Chansey. If a wall is locked into a single move by a Choice item, its effectiveness is severely hampered because it can't switch moves. As for Hidden Power, it's a nice bonus for Latios to have to hit specific targets; without HP Fire, Ferrothorn walls it completely. Hitting Scizor without resorting to Surf or Thunderbolt is also a nice bonus.

As I mentioned before, don't use Avalugg. Its bad defensive typing hinders its walling capabilities if you didn't get it before. It's also very specially frail, even with significant investment.

Shadow Ball doesn't do much for Nidoking, really. It only hits Ghosts and Psychics, which are already taken care of by Earth Power, Sludge Wave and Megahorn. If your other Ice users are down, it's always nice to have a backup Ice coverage move on Nidoking as a failsafe.

If you keep Blastoise, you'll have to take Aggron out of the team, as its Mega Evolution is the sole reason why it's even used in the first place. And Blastoise should look something like this, as its current EV spread lacks power:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisinite

Rapid Spin is also a staple move in standard play, as it's an alternative method for clearing away entry hazards. However, Ghost Pokemon block Rapid Spin from its hazard-clearing job, which is where Dark Pulse comes into play: Mega Blastoise can blast away incoming Ghost Pokemon eager to block Rapid Spin with Dark Pulse so that it has more opportunities to Rapid Spin away those hazards.

Edit: not everyone plays with item clause (when all Pokemon on the team must hold different items) because multiple Pokemon on the team may need Leftovers or Life Orb to function at their best.

Yeah, Gyro Ball and Power Whip do seem a much more suitable choice know that I look over them again.

And unfortunately, you're also right about Aggron, there's no way I could ever lead with him without his mega evolution due to his x4 Fighting and Ground. I would otherwise much prefer to give it to someone else who could use it more, as his just boosts his already strong Defense and Attack, and makes him look like a massive steel trash compactor.

I'd never realized switching out in a battle loses your stat changes, definitely giving Latios Draco Meteor.
    I can see how helpful Defog would be for him, as he doesn't really need more than Draco Meteor and Psyshock either way. However, I still think Recover would hinder using him as a hit and run pokemon, but I'll try it out.
    I think Surf would be useful to him though, as I am developing a larger weakness to Fire types with Mega Aggron, Ferrothorn, and Avulugg (Sorry, not getting rid of him despite all of his obvious drawbacks).

You're right also with Nidoking, Ice Beam would do him well.

I think I'll be replacing Blastoise with Electivire, I'll come back here once I create a moveset with him.

And the people I'll be playing with will probably be using the Item Clause, but I'll always have extra Leftovers/Life Orbs in case I'm not.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Yeah, Gyro Ball and Power Whip do seem a much more suitable choice know that I look over them again.

And unfortunately, you're also right about Aggron, there's no way I could ever lead with him without his mega evolution due to his x4 Fighting and Ground. I would otherwise much prefer to give it to someone else who could use it more, as his just boosts his already strong Defense and Attack, and makes him look like a massive steel trash compactor.

I'd never realized switching out in a battle loses your stat changes, definitely giving Latios Draco Meteor.
    I can see how helpful Defog would be for him, as he doesn't really need more than Draco Meteor and Psyshock either way. However, I still think Recover would hinder using him as a hit and run pokemon, but I'll try it out.
    I think Surf would be useful to him though, as I am developing a larger weakness to Fire types with Mega Aggron, Ferrothorn, and Avulugg (Sorry, not getting rid of him despite all of his obvious drawbacks).

You're right also with Nidoking, Ice Beam would do him well.

I think I'll be replacing Blastoise with Electivire, I'll come back here once I create a moveset with him.

And the people I'll be playing with will probably be using the Item Clause, but I'll always have extra Leftovers/Life Orbs in case I'm not.
    Before you even think about using Electivire, don't. Its coverage, while good, isn't really that strong outside of Earthquake and Cross Chop. If it fails to KO something, it tends to get KOed in return. Better Electric Pokemon to turn to are Thundurus (Incarnate or Therian), Mega Manectric or Zapdos, as well as Wash Rotom (which I touched upon earlier):

Thundurus:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Psychic/Focus Blast
    -Thunder Wave
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Flying/Ice)
    -Substitute/Focus Blast/Psychic
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Prankster

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Knock Off
    -Superpower/Thunder Wave
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 76 Atk/180 SAtk/252 Spe

Therian Thundurus:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Flying)
    -Focus Blast
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry

or
    -Agility
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Flying/Ice)
    -Focus Blast/Psychic

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Agility
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Flying)
    EVs: 156 HP/252 SAtk/100 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

Mega Manectric:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Overheat
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    Item: Manectite
    Ability: Lightning Rod

Zapdos:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Defog
    -Roost
    -Heat Wave/Toxic/U-turn
    EVs: 248 HP/168 Def/68 SAtk/20 Spe

KodakKid3

Aggron
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    I'm not sure if I should go with just a Physical moveset for Electivire, where he seems to have a not amazing movepool, because of his highest attack out of all electric pokemom.

Or if I should just go more of a mixed movepool, as he still has pretty good Special Attack, and a much wider movepool that way.

A Modest nature could help me give him a better mixed move pool I think.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    just expressing my personal opinions.

even though all the pokemon suggestions are helpful, they really aren't as well in a way. kodakkid would like to bring this team into omega ruby when it comes out, and some pokemon sets are really quite hard to get imo (defog lati@s for example, preferred hidden power for certain pokemon)

and since he would prefer using pokemon to his liking:
    As for Sylveon and Clefable, I could also never use them due to personal preference strongly against them.
    even though clefable and sylveon are solid pokemon in ou, kodakkid avoids them because of personal preference.

so to really help to him, i suggest offering a couple of new pokemon and better sets to the pokemon he likes/really insists on using.

just my two cents, take it as you wish.

Reactions: Nah

KodakKid3

Aggron
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    I have multiple Latios still in my Emerald right now, so I'd always be able to transfer them up to get Defog. It would be pretty difficult to get a specific Hidden Power for Thundurus/Latios though.

And tbh, it seems like both Electivire and Thundurus have relatively weak movesets any way you go with them, while I'd love to have either.

I'll probably just try to find a different pokemon altogether - I'm so far considering either Empoleon, Magnezone, Lucario, Heatran, or Genesect (If I could get a Genesect).

I'll have to look into all of them later though.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I have multiple Latios still in my Emerald right now, so I'd always be able to transfer them up to get Defog. It would be pretty difficult to get a specific Hidden Power for Thundurus/Latios though.

And tbh, it seems like both Electivire and Thundurus have relatively weak movesets any way you go with them, while I'd love to have either.

I'll probably just try to find a different pokemon altogether - I'm so far considering either Empoleon, Magnezone, Lucario, Heatran, or Genesect (If I could get a Genesect).

I'll have to look into all of them later though.
    Thundurus is more useful than Electivire because it can threaten offensive teams with Prankster Thunder Waves. These teams rely on their Speed to be effective and paralysis tends to cut those sweeps short.

I'm going to have to say no to Empoleon here. While Defog sets it apart from other bulky Waters, there are better Defoggers out there like Mandibuzz and the Latis. The others work, though:

Magnezone:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Flash Cannon
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Magnet Pull

Lucario:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Extreme Speed
    -Iron Tail/Crunch/Ice Punch
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

Heatran:
    -Lava Plume
    -Protect
    -Taunt/Roar/Stealth Rock
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/220 SDef/40 Spe

or
    -Substitute
    -Toxic
    -Lava Plume/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Protect/Earth Power
    EVs: 252 SAtk/12 SDef/244 Spe

or
    -Overheat/Fire Blast
    -Flash Cannon
    -Stone Edge/Earth Power
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Hidden Power (Ice)
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

Genesect and Mega Lucario are Ubers, meaning it can't be used in OU teams. However, if you want to use Genesect (note that you need the shiny 16th movie event Genesect for some of these sets):
    -U-turn
    -Iron Head
    -Explosion/Extreme Speed
    -Ice Beam/Blaze Kick
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 248 Atk/8 SAtk/252 Spe

or
    -U-turn
    -Iron Head
    -Extreme Speed
    -Blaze Kick/Explosion
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -U-turn
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Bug Buzz/Flamethrower/Flash Cannon
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 8 Atk/248 SAtk/252 Spe

KodakKid3

Aggron
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    So when it comes to getting certain IVs/Natures for legendarys such as Thundurus, Latios, and Heatran, is that really just a matter of hoping, or is there anything I can actually do about that?

Like when I go to catch a Heatran, should I just save before hand and continue to soft reset until I get a preferred nature?

Also, when using a Choice item, am I allowed to use a new move if I switch him out and bring him back in?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So when it comes to getting certain IVs/Natures for legendarys such as Thundurus, Latios, and Heatran, is that really just a matter of hoping, or is there anything I can actually do about that?

Like when I go to catch a Heatran, should I just save before hand and continue to soft reset until I get a preferred nature?
    There's really not much else you can do besides pray to Arceus that you catch one with good IVs, since you can't breed legendaries. There are some legendaries that were distributed as events with good IVs and natures (like the Spring 2012 Zekrom), but that may not be a whole lot easier for you to get either.

But yes, saving in front of the legendary before engaging it is the way to get one with the preferred nature. It's helpful if you lead with a Pokemon that has Synchronize and the nature you want the legendary to have; it gives you a better chance of getting one with both the nature you want and good IVs. Assuming you have the right Synchronize pokes.....

Also, when using a Choice item, am I allowed to use a new move if I switch him out and bring him back in?
    Yes, you can use a different move if you switch it out and send it back in later.

elnino128

hscbvf
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2018
    Thats good for latios to get hazard control, and ferrothron should have leech seed and stealth rock, mine knows stealth rock, leech seed power whip and gyro ball. Gyro ball should be in there since hes very slow. And for blastoise your not using his mega launcher ability well, water pulse deals so much more damage with mega launcher and may leave him confused, scald is good but you should change flash cannon for another pulse or aura sphere for the full or minimum use of mega launcher when you mega evolve him

Back