• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That dreaded topic: religion

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    All right, first thing's first here. I DO NOT intend this to become a huge religion debate over who's right, who's wrong, and who's sinning and going to hell. This is not a place to flame each other for their views, as, obviously, that's against the rules.

I have set up this thread in the efforts to teach people about different religions and the views therein. All religious views are welcome, so long as you don't start stuffing your views down other people's throats. I have created this place in order to achieve a bit of piece between us here on PC on the touchy topic of religion.

So come, express your views. But, be forewarned, I have stated explicitly that I do not intend this to become an all-out-war zone. I have no problems requesting the closure of my own thread.

I, personally, grew up as a Lutheran Christian. Most of my family is Lutheran, but we do have a large group of Catholics in our family as well. Personally, my views blend together most of the religions. Basically, I believe in the cores of all religions, that we are to be good to other's around us and attempt to better the world and our lives.

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    I am an atheist. My parents are Christians, and I've gone to church three times in my life, when I was between the ages 9 and 10. I became an atheist when I heard good points about it from my sister, from the internet and from a book (The End of Faith).

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    Do you mind if I ask what brought you to a conclusion that no higher being exsists over us?

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    Nagoyaka Aikouka said:
    Do you mind if I ask what brought you to a conclusion that no higher being exsists over us?

It just doesn't really make sense. How was it always there, and why? Lots of religions have beliefs that contradict themselves as well. For example, lots of religions believe in a god that is omnipotent and omnibenevolent (can do anything and is completely against evil), which means the god can and wants to destroy evil. Yet, there is still evil in the world. See "problem of evil" on Wikipedia for more information on this.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    It is an interesting paradox, I admit, and I do believe that God is an influence in our world, but only to a certain degree. He can show us our path, but not guide us down it. There comes a point when He respects the sentience and free will of His creation.

Of course, that refers to the supernatural or purely religous aspects of it. From a philosophical point of view, I believe moreover in compassiona and equatability. No benevolent God would bring a child into this world already condemned to Hell, that is a matter of the choices made throughout life, through being indecent, cruel, or any manner of other things, but NOT your religion.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    My uncle is Muslim. One of my friend's mother is Jewish.

Hindus, about 850 million currently living in India, believe in reincarnation.

I'm sort of Christian and the rule "If you lead a good life, you go to heaven." is in effect with this religion. I hope that happens to me.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    "The problem with evil" as has been mentioned, is not a problem. In my learnings, I have found that God does not "ward off all evil" or "destroy all those who are evil". He allows evil things to happen to people. Really, they are tests of character. A small price to pay for an eternal life in heaven or joining Dharma or wherever you would like it.

I, too, believe that God has condemned no one to an eternity in hell. Hell is a punishment set for those who ignore God's urgings to follow the right path and love thy neighbors.

(And for future reference, I shall always refer to the sentinant being as "God" as that is what I am used to. This does not mean that I dennounce any belief in Allah or the like. Thank you.)

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    I am also an atheist. My family is mainly Christian, but I changed when I was about 11. They respect my views on it, and I respect there's..

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    I'm an atheist. My mom is Catholic and my dad is... I think Christain.

My family isn't very religious, so we don't do that kind of stuff like pray, go to church, etc.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    YoMama said:
    I'm sort of Christian and the rule "If you lead a good life, you go to heaven." is in effect with this religion. I hope that happens to me.

I am Christain and the rule If you lead a good life, you go to heaven isn't in effect with the CHristian religion. The only way you go to heaven is if you believe in your heart and speak with your mouth the Jesus did walk this Earth and he did die on the Cross for you. Its not oh I will be nice and courteus to people and go to heaven. Its not how it works.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Again, no benevolent God would bring a child into this world already condemned. So, what of the boy born in deeply rural Vietnam or Laos or Indonesia, or the indigenous tribes of South America who goes his entire life without hearing of Christianity but is still a good, moral person.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    Its always important to respect other religions. Obviously some people, Adolf Hitler especially, don't show respect. You should even if you're an athiest.

Years
    I'd rather keep my distance over any kind of religion.

Sure, it helps some people in their lives, but I fear the people that take their religion a little TOO seriously by commiting horriffic acts against their own children or kill innocent people and themselves because their own God told them that it was the right thing to do.

Honestly, I think there is no God. All the bad things that say he did to people, are just freak accidents.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    I was and am rasied as a Roman Catholic.

Let me tell you, the Catholic Church is messed up. Please note that I have nothing against the belief, just the people that are in the Church.

Something happened with me and some scholarship I was supposed to be on graduation night, last night.

A mother of one of the students from our class called my family, and asked if I was going to a Catholic school. My father said, "No, he's going to a Christian school."
    "Oh, so he doesn't get the award." she said, and hung up.

We later learned that the award was a scholarship. The scholarship was given to the top girl (who was Marina *claps*) and the top boy. The top boy is me, but I didn't get it JUST BECAUSE I'm not going to a Catholic school.

I'm sorry if I sound selfish, but me complaining doesn't have to do with the matter of the money, just the recognition.
    So instead, the scholarship was given to the second-greatest boy, who WAS going to a Catholic school next.

It's all religion and belief...
    When saying this, I'm speaking out for all the other kids that are denied because of their Religion, and myself.

It's just not fair.
    But I'm happy for my friend, Justin, who got the scholarship. *shrugs*

And I notice that they worship Jesus more than God or Mary. I worship Jesus greatly, but don't you think that he would want people to worship his God and his Mother?
    I greatly praise Mary. If it wasn't for her, there would have never been a Christ or a carrying on of the worship of God.

And then The Da Vinci Code controversy comes along. I read the book, and I loved it.
    I don't see anything wrong with Jesus Christ marrying. *shrugs*

But yes...the Catholic Church is messed up a lot.

When it comes to Heaven and Hell, I believe that those that are good go to Heaven, and I mean EVERYBODY THAT IS GOOD, including Muslims, Buddhists, etc.
    Hell to me is a place where the bad go, of course. Not only the bad Christians, but all that were bad in their first part of their life. (To me life is what you live on Earth AND what you live after you die.)
    I don't believe in "You don't believe in Christ as your savior, so you're going to Hell."

I just believe that those that are good people go to Heaven, whatever religion they worship.

And Zone, you don't believe in ANYTHING?

Let's talk about God, Zone. Tell us exactly why you don't believe in God. I will not bash you, I promise, and nobody else shoud bash you.

Zelos

*yawn*
    Years
    I'm a Christian. I pretty much believe everything that Aang said. If you confess that Jesus died on the cross for you and believe in him that you will go to Heaven. Being good or nice isn't going to get you there~

Whiplash

Been very inactive
    Years
    I was christianed but have never gone to church and Im now an atheist and will stay like that.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I am an atheist because I find the overwhelming evidence of evolution and the like contradictory to intelligent design.

[Technya]

Chick in riot gear!
    Years
    I was born a Catholic but changed my views some two years earlier. I now follow the Wiccan Religion. No, my family does not know about it because they are not as open minded as other people but that's all right. I respect their points of view nonetheless.

What made me change my mind on the religion? Let's just say I was and am very angry at the people who run it. I have absolutely nothing against the religion itself. I respect all religions whatever they may be.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    Newsflash!
    There is no scientific law that states that an all-knowing, all-powerful being has been here since the beginning of time cannot be possible.

Back