• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That Golden Feeling

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2016
    Spoiler:

Is it just me or has that feeling of Pokemon disappeared. Remember when you were a little kid and you played Pokemon and felt that rush of excitement when you beat the Champion. Is that feeling gone for you too? I remember when I first beat Blue/Gary in Red and I felt so good. But now it seems like Pokemon has been corrupt by all the competitiveness of battling in real life. With the tournaments and prizes for battling in real life, it takes away from the main focus of the game and focuses on just using it to get that title or prize. I think Pokemon should return to what it once was, a game that everyone understood and people could have fun playing it. I just had to make this a point. Please tell me how you feel about this subject.

~Tomotsu

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I don't play competitively at all; I only play to beat the game itself. I still get all excited when I beat the champ.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2016
    Well, it's just that almost everyone plays Pokemon now for it to be competitive, not just to be a fun game.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well, first things first, Jesus Christ, can we please not post that many images in one post ever again? Or at least use a spoiler? That took forever for me to load.

Back to the topic, I get what you mean. I literally screamed the first time I beat the Pokemon League in Sapphire. I was truly ecstatic. I think what takes the charm away is that we're older and wiser. We know how the games work now, and heck, we can even look up what the leaders/Elite Four have in their rosters and even the movesets. We can plan ahead now. I think that it's just a matter of growing older and more knowledgeable about the games.

Years
  • For me the golden feeling is not beating the game, it's beating the game with some silly extra rules, aka beating a challenge.

And just by the way... what's the point of all these trainer sprites, OP? What purpose do they serve?

Years
  • Yep.

Yeah I know many players lose that special feeling about their games but I managed to keep it alive with me but just imagine the competitive matches as you still trying to become the strongest trainer, think of it as a new ladder to climb up. Happened to me when I was just a low level on WoW too :(

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Is it just me or has that feeling of Pokemon disappeared. Remember when you were a little kid and you played Pokemon and felt that rush of excitement when you beat the Champion. Is that feeling gone for you too? I remember when I first beat Blue/Gary in Red and I felt so good. But now it seems like Pokemon has been corrupt by all the competitiveness of battling in real life. With the tournaments and prizes for battling in real life, it takes away from the main focus of the game and focuses on just using it to get that title or prize. I think Pokemon should return to what it once was, a game that everyone understood and people could have fun playing it. I just had to make this a point. Please tell me how you feel about this subject.

~Tomotsu
    Is not one of the desires of a pokemon trainer to become the best? Being constrained to in-game greatness is not go enough for some people. They seek out challenges so they can truly measure their capability as the best which they surely cannot do against a computer. So in a way they want to be a pokemon master(or whatever that entails, be it catching all pokemon and becoming the best of the best). Just playing in game over and over gets boring after awhile, people want to expand their replay value so to do that they engage in competitive battling. So you are saying people don't currently have fun playing because I know I sure do. And as previously said above want is the point with all the trainer sprites?

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I remember how I beat Wallace in Pokemon Emerald in 2008 (ROM on my PSP).

It was like 2 AM. I had been struggling the whole night with my Lv. 95 Blaziken. When it finally critted Blaze Kick on that truck called Wailord, I couldn't believe it. I screamed so hard I woke mom up and got grounded for playing late. ^_^

It was the same for beating the game. Even though I soloed through it, I didn't know what type was I abput to face. It was all excitement all over Hoenn.

The same went for FireRed in 2008-2009's Winter. But for Pearl, later in April... I kept asking one of my friends who beat the game about stuff. He just answered, then traded stuff to me. Heck, my E4 Team had an Infernape, a Purugly (somewhere in their 60s), a Lv. 50, I think, Palkia and a Lv. 30 Riolu. -_- Pearl was my poorest Pokemon playthrough.

For Platinum, I had stuff planned. Same for HeartGold.

I'm just not spoilering myself for BW. I want that charm back...

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • I still feel like that, but I feel that way every time I beat a video game. I feel slightly accomplished, but at the same time, not completely, because of the content you can now access post-credits. (Well, at least in most games)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Is it just me or has that feeling of Pokemon disappeared. Remember when you were a little kid and you played Pokemon and felt that rush of excitement when you beat the Champion. Is that feeling gone for you too?

Stopped reading there. I was eleven years old when Pokemon Red/Blue came out, and an experienced gamer, so I wasn't anymore excited about beating the game than any other game I'd beaten at the time. XD

Delphinus

Auxiliary bro
    Years
  • With me it depends on how much I liked the champion fight, and how I felt about the champion. The music is always good, so that never really changes.

The Gary/Blue one I'll always remember, while I couldn't care less about Steven. Lance was kinda middle of the road for me, I already beat him in LG so it didn't feel like much when I beat him again in a different game.
    Not to mention Lance and Steven had specific types as well, rather than a mixed team.
    I think that's why the feeling returned a bit in Diamond.
    Haven't play B/W yet, and I never got Emerald.

Then again, the whole 'liking the character and battle' thing applies to every game with me.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • Well for me it's not just finishing a game, but seeing a shiny Pokémon, finally solving a gym puzzle, finally catching a legendary after 50 pokeballs thrown, etc.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • First run-throughs I get that exciting rush. But lately I've just been grinding at the Elite 4, so when I beat the Champion for the 107th time, it's not that exciting anymore.

But whenever I get a new game, like when I get B/W soon, the excitement comes back. Not just at the end of the Elite 4, but at the start of a new journey.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    It's the competiveness that motivates me to still play, as a matter of fact.

Before, once the game was beat, it got boring.

But once I got introduced to Nintendo Wi-Fi, it resparked my interest for it.

The only game before that I would play continuously even after beating is was Myserty Dungeon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I get what you mean. I was happy when I beat Steven for the first time in Sapphire, but that excitement pretty much washed away when I challenged Cynthia and Lance. But that excitement does come back to an extent when I battled and defeated Red.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I don't play competitively. Sure, I may look up what the Champion has now and what moves they'll use, but I still get the excitement. I still feel amazing after beating every Champion, Elite Four member, and Gym Leader I battle.

Years
  • You grew up.

You're older and have gotten better at the games, the E4 isn't very challenging for you anymore that's all. You already know how it feels to beat a champion. As a kid, the games do have that magical charm, but it disappears from many as they get older, specifically the ones that begin to battle others on a regular basis. For those individuals the E4 isn't the end of the game anymore, there is no end.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I never had that golden feeling when I beated the Champion; even when I was a little kid....I think that there was something wrong with me then since I never got that feeling. But the champion isn't that much of a challenge anyways so probably thats why

:t354:TG

Back