• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That Was Onix-pected

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    Although it doesn't happen often, sometimes I'll watch an episode and a situation will occur that takes me by surprise. Whether it's an evolution or death, the anime manages to pull off shocking moments. What moments did you find shocking and unexpected? Did you enjoy the outcome or did you wish that the moment didn't happen? Please remember that when talking about XY, the spoiler tag is your best friend.

The one situation that I still can't believed happened was when Misty's Togepi evolved into Togetic. I never thought that Togepi would've evolved, especially since this happened after OS. Not only that, I can't also get over the fact that Togetic and Misty had to separate. I thought that the arc had a very sad ending. I guess that I would have preferred for that scene not to happen, but it made for such a great story and an emotional appeal. Perhaps if Misty would have stuck around for as long as Brock did, I would've have been more disheartened by it.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

One anime event that took me by surprise is when Whitney awarded Ash the Plain Badge after he beat her Miltank by using the same strategy he used on Team Rocket (by having one Pokémon cut trenches in the ground, causing Rollout to go haywire, and then get out Pikachu to zap Miltank with a Thunderbolt.) I was expecting the battle to be merely used as an opportunity for Ash to be better prepared for an 'official' rematch at the Goldenrod Gym.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Ash losing to a complete rookie 3 time in a row .
    I though there is limit to people who can beat Ash like how the same way there is limit to people Ash can beat.
    But BW series broke the limit to how lame ash can get !

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I haven't really had these moments other than in XY and one episode of Diamond and Pearl.

In Diamond and Pearl it was when they blew of Hunter J's aircraft and people presumed to escaped. Although it is hard to believe she survived for me, it was still very surprising when I first saw it.

Next is in XY:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2014
    The unexpected moment for me was that Dawn actually beating May during the Wallace cup...
    it's obvious that May is much more experienced than Dawn and from the looks of it,May is having the upper hand.....

Another one is cilan catching his stunfisk.
    Totally didn't see that one coming

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Another one is cilan catching his stunfisk.
    Totally didn't see that one coming

Tell me about it.

My personal 'Huh?' moments date back from the time when Ash's Turtwig got hit by Leech Seed. And I used to be staunch with the belief that the anime wouldn't show Grass-types be affected by Leech Seed.

The most recent one was quite common among all of us... oh, I almost forgot to spoiler it!

Spoiler:

Wobbu

Years
    Stunfisk and Cilan made a weird combination. I feel like Stunfisk was used only to showcase Cilan's skills with fishing during that one episode. I did find Stunfisk funny, so I'm ok with it haha. I'm wondering what is contained in those XY spoilers, though. They're raising my anticipation even higher :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2016
    Whelp, when I was a young kid, seeing Ash lose in the indigo league was unexpected.

I didn't think richie would beat him

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    When Brock left the group to court a sertain Proffessor. For Brocks sake I shall not utter her name. And then Ash and Misty didn't get togeather too. Yeah yeah it's a kids show... But some of the kids grow older since the 90's.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2014
    Ash losing...wasn't much of a surprise. Just when you think he's gonna succeed...he fails. and i think the loss was needed. Everyone saying that Ash was always winning...it was time for a change. So change happened, and Ash lost. JUST what this series needed. The protagonists losing.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I think the most surprising moment for me is when Ash actually chooses a good move. :V

Okay, so not really. I think one of the most surprising moments is when Cilan's Dwebble evolved into Crustle. I always thought it was going to evolve, but the battle with Team Rocket that it took place just seemed so... insignificant? I don't know if that's the right word, but the battle didn't seem all that important and I wasn't expecting an evolution to take place there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2017
    I think the most surprising moment for me is when Ash actually chooses a good move. :V

Okay, so not really. I think one of the most surprising moments is when Cilan's Dwebble evolved into Crustle. I always thought it was going to evolve, but the battle with Team Rocket that it took place just seemed so... insignificant? I don't know if that's the right word, but the battle didn't seem all that important and I wasn't expecting an evolution to take place there.

The fact that it was unexpected makes it better.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2019
    My personal surprise moments was Gary deciding to become a Pokemon researcher and Brock suddenly wanting to be a Pokemon doctor. I actually enjoyed it because it showed how some will change their goals sometimes.

Another is brock coming back after leaving in orange islands and just happened to be in Ash's house. Luckily Ash's mum explains that she found him and took him home. You wouldn't believe what thoughts were going through my mind when I saw him at first there. I mean he had a family to go back too so it seemed a little strange at first. It was like he moved in.o_O

The episode when they leave bulbasaur at professor Oak's. I was shocked when the rock fell on Bulbasaur. Thankfully he was okay but with the flash backs happening straight after the rock fell on him almost made it look like the situation was worse than it was. I remember crying because I thought that killed off Bulbasaur.^-^;;;;;;

Other shocking moments include Dawn losing in the appeals round the first time. That surprised me because I was so sure she would get further. I really enjoy the episode however.

Jessie winning her first contest surprised me or even better making it to the grand festival. I enjoyed it however.

Just remembered one more. The creepy girl in that DP episode. It wasn't the fact it was a creepy girl saying let's play like with the 1st season Phychic gym episode but more the fact that this creepy girl in DP didn't have your usual "it's okay it's just someone or a Pokemon causing it". That creepy girl was going to suck ash and Angie into that freaky spirit world. She was some evil spirit which surprised me for something like pokemon that usually always has a normal explanation behind things.o_O
    Great episode though. One of my favourites.

Last edited:

Yoshiko75

Shadow of the Night
    Years
    I was shocked when James' Chimecho became sick and had to be left behind at James' grandparents' mansion. It was so sad…especially because Chimecho still wanted to travel with James. I feel like it was a cheap way to write Chimecho off the show to replace him with Mime Jr. Who knows if Chimecho ever healed?

Wobbu

Years
    Other shocking moments include Dawn losing in the appeals round the first time. That surprised me because I was so sure she would get further. I really enjoy the episode however.

Just remembered one more. The creepy girl in that DP episode. It wasn't the fact it was a creepy girl saying let's play like with the 1st season Phychic gym episode but more the fact that this creepy girl in DP didn't have your usual "it's okay it's just someone or a Pokemon causing it". That creepy girl was going to suck ash and Angie into that freaky spirit world. She was some evil spirit which surprised me for something like pokemon that usually always has a normal explanation behind things.o_O
    Great episode though. One of my favourites.

That contest caught me by surprise, too. After watching all of AG, I thought that I could predict the outcome of DP's contests. There are multiple occasions when Dawn didn't make it very far in contests which I like because it shows more development and that she actually has to work hard in order to strive for success.

If you thought that episode was weird, you should watch Scare At Litwick Mansion o_O

I was shocked when James' Chimecho became sick and had to be left behind at James' grandparents' mansion. It was so sad…especially because Chimecho still wanted to travel with James. I feel like it was a cheap way to write Chimecho off the show to replace him with Mime Jr. Who knows if Chimecho ever healed?

I know right?! I thought fo sho that Chimecho would stick around through the rest of AG but I guess not. That was a really sad episode, poor James is always losing his friends. I do like Mime Jr. a lot, however I feel that DP showed plenty of it and Chimecho definitely deserved a better farewell.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    XY stuff yo
    Spoiler:

Wobbu

Years
    I watched an episode of DP earlier called "Throwing the Track Switch" which involves a trade between Ash's Aipom and Dawn's Buizel which definitely threw me off the track switch. Ash caught Aipom back during AG and I thought that they'd be together forever in Oak's lab. I would be upset about it if it wasn't for the trade being absolutely necessary. Buizel is definitely better suited for Ash, and Aipom is more of a contest kind of Pokémon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    OH I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT

Basically the entire arc in Unova where Meowth gets fired. im spoilering bc it was good and i know some people havent seen it
    Spoiler:

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
    The ones that caught me was ash losing to richie me as an eight year old seeing that was heartbreaking seeing the hero lose
    then when ash left charizard at the charific valley that caught me off guard cause i thought he would be on ash team forever
    but when pikachu lost to a meowth in a important pokemon league i was in utter disgust i dont care if it had little boots

Back