• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "that white beauty that you got there"

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    -may or may not be a bit spoilery-

For those of us that got the shiny event Beldum, you might've noticed that it occasionally triggers a bit of extra dialogue in the game at certain points, like when you talk to Mr. Stone. But the most interesting piece of text it causes is something that Steven says during the Delta Episode, in the Mossdeep Space Center:

Hm...You know, seeing that white beauty there that you travel with....I'm reminded of the Legendary Pokemon Rayquaza, said to descend at the Sky Pillar. I once had the chance to see it face to face. Although, it was a long time ago now....The young man who battled against Rayquaza beside me.....I wonder whatever happened to him and that black Charizard of his....

As far as I know, this is the first time that the main series games have ever directly referenced one of the other Pokemon medias, in this case the anime. What Steven is referencing here is one of the Mega Evolution Special episodes. In one particular episode, a character named Alain (who has a Mega Charizard X, the "black Charizard" Steven mentions) challenges Steven to battle. Afterwards, the two of them travel to a temple where Rayquaza sleeps. The two of them engage it in battle, but Rayquaza mega evolves and defeats them.

IDK, I just it was something interesting to share with y'all and see whatcha think about it. I'm surprised that Game Freak had the game acknowledge the existence of the anime. Usually they keep the canons separate and never make references to things that don't happen outside the games.

Years
  • Yeah, I got that extra dialogue from Mr. Stone and thought it was pretty cool.

When I saw that dialogue from Steven, I immediately thought of Alain from the special episodes. I was also surprised by this and I loved that they referenced the anime, because as you said, they usually keep them separate.

I personally love it when games do these kind of references. This is something I would gladly welcome in future games.

Also, when I saw that episode, I was like "LOL..not even in Rayquaza's standard form could you two beat it"
    Then Rayquaza in Mega form was like..
    "that white beauty that you got there"

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The Fossil Maniac on 114 also has extra conversation whenever the player brings their event shiny Beldum to him.

He mentions about Steven having to travel to Kalos in order to find it & the Metagrossite that came with it.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • The fact that Steven described it as a "black charizard" makes me think that the fight against Rayquaza went differently in the game universe than the anime universe. Steven should know it was only black in its mega X form, so why'd he not mention it mega evolving? Maybe game universe Alain has a shiny charizard, and perhaps even mega evolves it into its Y form?

Also, when I saw that episode, I was like "LOL..not even in Rayquaza's standard form could you two beat it"
    Then Rayquaza in Mega form was like..
    "that white beauty that you got there"
    You kidding, m8?
    252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 416-492 (118.5 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Its mega form destroys them both, though.

Years
  • You kidding, m8?
    252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 416-492 (118.5 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Its mega form destroys them both, though.

Well, I was referring to the anime universe, but if you want to talk specifics and get into the game universe, I think Rayquaza in standard form still wins. Why? Because of the free item slot. I think that is the deciding factor. Standard Ray without item will lose, though, due to being outsped and KO'd. But, I digress.

Back