• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Art of RNG [RNG Guide & Discussion]

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    So I hit my seed twice this morning, one of which was my target. FINALLY. But then I realized it didn't have its hidden ability. I was dumb and used a male HA parent. Look what gen VI has done to me.

So I swap the parent with a female HA parent, no problem. Same IVs and all so I just use the same seed and I try that about three times and can't hit it. Search for new seeds and can't hit these either. I don't know WHAT I did differently this morning that got me to hit them, but I can't do it now. I honestly don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong and this is getting really annoying. About to throw my DS out the window.

It is likely your Timer0 is trolling you. While Timer0 is not "as much" of an issue in B/W as it is in B2/W2, it can still be a variable that you have no control over. Double check your calibration and if you are finding that you are hitting a different Timer0 more consistently then you may want to search seeds based on that one.

I had a Timer0 issue earlier. Use the adjacent seed tool to see what seed you actually hit. (You'll need to verify IVs first).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'll try that next time I give it another go. I never had this bad of a problem with it back when I RNGed more often. Game hates me now wahhhh.

edit: Alright, where do I do that in PPRNG? I got my Mac when I was winding down on RNGing the first time, so I never got a lot of experience with it til now. lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    I'll try that next time I give it another go. I never had this bad of a problem with it back when I RNGed more often. Game hates me now wahhhh.

edit: Alright, where do I do that in PPRNG? I got my Mac when I was winding down on RNGing the first time, so I never got a lot of experience with it til now. lol

Despite having a Mac, I prefer to RNG sitting on the floor with my laptp, which is a PC.... so I have never touched PPRNG (even though I hear it's better than RNG Reporter... haha).

So I can't help you much with the software in particular... But I will say that B2/W2 even with the changing Timer0 value is friendlier than Gen III(with it's long waits) or Gen IV (with it's delay). B2/W2 I often would get a dozen or more RNG's on the first try then suddenly my Timer0 would act up and I would go an hour of soft resetting without getting what I wanted.

Right now I'm trying to get an all IVs at 30 Ditto out of a Grotto.... I got Ditto to fill the Grotto on the third try, but I'm on my sixth try of hitting my seed for my IVs.

Keep trying, and best of luck. I'll look forward to hearing about your RNG project when you catch it.

EDIT:
    Soooo..... After only three more tries I now have an all 30 Ditto. *happy dance*

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Nice work everyone and good luck Syd! Hopefully this bby can help encourage you.

004.png
    133.png
    004.png

Juli♥ ♀ Lv. 1 ★
    OT: Ginny
    2.png
    | ID: 51120
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Anticipation
    IVs: 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 0 Ice 64
    EVs: Untrained
    Moves: Helping Hand, Wish, Covet, Hyper Voice
    Non-Redis

:D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Egg RNG in BW is like...the easiest, only behind Wonder Card. It shouldn't be taking this long. I managed to hit my seed last night and I was so happy. I was only four off my target. So I tried again and didn't hit my seed at all. Same with the other seven tries afterward. Ugh. Should have just saved that shiny one even though it wasn't my target. It's still a pretty shiny. ~_~

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Just venting.... TimerO SUCKS!!!

Friday I started to RNG on B2 again. I had two successful Grotto RNGs(which for those that know... it's like RNGing TWICE for each one... you RNG to fill the grotto, save, then RNG again to create the IV's).

Then Saturday I went to continue my Dream Radar abuses. I want to do all myt legendaries, but as it has been awhile I was practicing on some regular ones. I tried for HOURS yesterday. Until the battery ran dead! When I kept hitting the wrong one (but always hitting the same one over and over) I decided to use a different Timer0 that I know I hit a lot. And had the same issue again after. ARRRGGHHH!!!!!

EDIT: QUESTION:
    Ok, I gave up a little on the B2 RNGs to try to RNG my Magikarp from the guy on the bridge in Black. This should be a normal gift Pokemon, right? Or does talking to him advance the IVs more? Not only am I not hitting my seed, but when I try to use adjacent seeds I am not able to find the seed that I did hit, which made me wonder if I was somehow advancing the IV frames more than I expected(by a lot maybe?)

Any advice would be super appreciated. I've been trying for two hours. Even double checked my calibration.
    I know almost all of you who have done B2/W2 know what I mean.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I haven't done B2W2 RNG yet...looking to avoid it after reading all that. :P As far as my Zigzagoon goes, I've given up on it for now. I'll try again later when I have more time to spare.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    B2W2 RNG is annoying yes. Some days though I can hit every timer0 first try and RNG is a breeze. Other days I can't hit my timer0 or frame for the life of me. It's all luck! D:

@RingoH I'm not sure about that one. Is there WNPCs around that area that could be advancing the frames?

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    B2W2 RNG is annoying yes. Some days though I can hit every timer0 first try and RNG is a breeze. Other days I can't hit my timer0 or frame for the life of me. It's all luck! D:

@RingoH I'm not sure about that one. Is there WNPCs around that area that could be advancing the frames?

EV, thanks for the suggestion. However, no wandering NPC's. It is on the Marvelous Bridge near Black City. There is a stationary NPC at one end of the bridge, and another at the opposite end of the bridge(which is the Magikarp Salesman). I saved right in front of the Magikarp salesman so once I enter the game I can talk to him right away. I have an empty slot in my party so I can look at it's stats right away. Since I am saved right in front of him I am not walking or turning at all so I am not in danger of advancing frames due to having walked with Pokemon in my party.

Gift Pokemon ARE on Frame 8 right? I forgot to mention the spread I am trying to hit is right on frame 8 so I am not trying to advance the IV frame AT ALL, as my own advancements would have been my second guess after thinking it's just Timer0 issues.

EDIT: Adding to my post so that I do not create a double post:

Sooooo..... I found out what I was doing wrong with my Magikarp RNG. Did anyone else know that the silly fish you buy from the guy on the bridge is locked to always have a perfect speed? Only took hitting the correct spread about a dozen times but with the speed perfect(which made it look like the wrong spread) for me to realize. ARGGHHH! Of course BEFORE that I had done calibration all over again thinking for some reason that might help(and of course getting the same results as I had before).

*groan*

I ended up having to breed it in the daycare. While breeding in B/W isn't the end of the world, I just do not like doing it. But after I found a decent seed three tries later I got what I was after.

So here is the little lady that caused me sooo much grief:

129.png
    notshiny.png
    #129 Magikarp ♀ (level 1)
    004.png

OT:
    2.png
    RUSH ♀ (Black, 2112/24292)
    Impish - Rattled - 0/0/0/0/0/0 - Untrained
    Splash - *** - *** - ***

AND, here is my newest Ditto I had caught over the weekend.

132.png
    notshiny.png
    #132 Ditto ♁ (level 45)
    015.png

OT:
    2.png
    RINGO ♂ (Black 2, 53077/12320)
    Hasty - Imposter - 30/30/30/30/30/30 - Untrained
    Transform - *** - *** - ***

Sending both of those forward via bank. Will both be VERY helpful for me. :-)

Last edited:

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • That's a very nice Karp my friend ;)

I recently ID abused my spare White cart so I could try and RNG Thundurus on it. The spread I've abused for is 31/2/30/31/31/31 for HP Ice 70. Sadly I haven't had the time to actually playthrough much of the game, cause of school and work :(

While I am playing through it though, i've been making myself RNG a few things that I hadn't done up to this point(mainly because once I RNG my Thundy, I'm gonna retire from Gen V RNG and pick up Gen IV/Gen III some more). I managed to RNG a shiny Snivy as my starter and also picked myself up a shiny Panpour along the way! :)

I've also been doing a little bit of RNG on Gen III recently. Nothing real big, because all I can manage to do so far is just abuse my IDs! XD I haven't found a way to find a seed from RNG reporter so I can't find out where exactly i'm going wrong when i'm trying to abuse for a shiny starter >.< But, once I get the time to sit down and do a lot of research about it, it shouldn't be too bad.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Special catch project I did for someone here. But quite proud so I'm sharing(i.e. Bragging).

132.png
    notshiny.png
    #132 BERY ALIEN (Ditto) ♁ (level 45)
    012.png

OT:
    2.png
    RINGO ♂ (Black 2, 53077/12320)
    Hasty - Imposter - 31/31/31/31/31/0 - Untrained
    Hidden Power - Ice
    Transform - *** - *** - ***

I was actually aiming for a Sassy Nature so that it could have a hindering nature for Speed, but I advanced too many Chatots and landed on Hasty.... Which amused me a little, and Timer0 has been so finicky for me that I did not dare reset and try again.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I have not been able to hit my delay in SS. :( I tried for 3 hours straight, literally and nothing, nada, zero. It was so discouraging. I guess i'll try again tomorrow, any tips?

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I have not been able to hit my delay in SS. :( I tried for 3 hours straight, literally and nothing, nada, zero. It was so discouraging. I guess i'll try again tomorrow, any tips?

Do you use audio cues? I usually find that really helps me.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Do you use audio cues? I usually find that really helps me.

Yes I do. I keep hitting -2 off my delay >.< . It is annoying, I've hit everything 6+/- from my delay, consistently hitting -2, except my delay.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Yes I do. I keep hitting -2 off my delay >.< . It is annoying, I've hit everything 6+/- from my delay, consistently hitting -2, except my delay.

It takes time. You'll get it if you keep trying.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Took a break from my X/Y breeding projects to RNG this little lady:

349.png
    notshiny.png
    #349 Feebas ♀ (level 10)
    012.png

OT:
    2.png
    EVNSTAR ♀ (White 2, 25278/29533)
    Mild - Adaptability - 30/23/31/30/31/30 - Untrained
    Splash - Mirror Coat - *** - ***

Entralink But in a Premier Ball specifically for transfering to X/Y to pass down both the ball and HA ability.

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
    Years
  • Just want to ask about RNGing trainer IDs to be able to get nicknameable events. Would a Gen IV event still be nicknameable assuming I was able to get the same trainer ID and Secret ID in Gen V?In this case, an SMR2010 Jirachi, would it still be nicknameable if I transfer it to a Black with the same TID and SID as it?

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • Just want to ask about RNGing trainer IDs to be able to get nicknameable events. Would a Gen IV event still be nicknameable assuming I was able to get the same trainer ID and Secret ID in Gen V?In this case, an SMR2010 Jirachi, would it still be nicknameable if I transfer it to a Black with the same TID and SID as it?

To be honest, I'm not sure, cross generation might not work. But if you do decided to test it out, do let us know because that'd be useful to know (in case anyone else wants to etc.)

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
    Years
  • To be honest, I'm not sure, cross generation might not work. But if you do decided to test it out, do let us know because that'd be useful to know (in case anyone else wants to etc.)

I'll test it out. Another question, for example, someone got a Meloetta from Gamestop with a White game. I have a Black game with the same TID SID, will it still be nicknamable? Also are nicknamed events transferrable to Gen VI?

Last edited:

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • I'll test it out. Another question, for example, someone got a Meloetta from Gamestop with a White game. I have a Black game with the same TID SID, will it still be nicknamable? Also are nicknamed events transferrable to Gen VI?

See problem is, I've never done any nicknaming of events on my own so I'm too sure honestly. But my best guess is that it should work, because let's be honest, Bank's hack check only works on something that is massively hacked like a Pokemon without a location at all.

Back