• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Australian Bushfires

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Well Australia is in what it seems tobe, it's worst Bushfire season ever.
    Over 100+ people are dead and over 100 are missing.
    It turns out that some of the fires were lit by the fire fighters themselves.
    They feel insecure with there job and need work.
    1 arsonist has been caught.
    The fires have destroyed whole towns and left Hundreds homeless.
    Last saturday will now be knowen as Ash Saturday.
    These are the worst Bushfires on record in Australia.

Years
    It's just....scary. They just need to start evacuating people that are close enough to be in danger if there's another firestorm. It's not good enough to evacuate people that are already in a danger zone. The is also why backburning needs to be done properly at the end of Winter.

It's inspiring to see people helping, but preparation would help to avoid the problem in the first place.

It's time. Start pulling more people out, level potential bushland - it will grow back. Summer's been the worst that I remember and I don't see it cooling down soon.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    This can't be true... where did you find this out?

Oh it's very true. They lit them in hope that their unit would be called out to tackle the blaze.
    Thet feel insecrue about their job so the create them to make work

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Before I start let me say I'm devastated about all of this. Over 1 hundred deaths and it's almost certain to rise. I couldn't feel more sorry for the people in Victoria who have lost their homes, family and/or friends.

But now can I say. PLAY SOME ACTUAL TV SHOWS!
    I mean, from about midday all that is on TV is news programmes, constantly interviewing these distressed people, 'How do you feel?'. HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK HE FEELS YOU IDIOT!?
    I mean, yeah a news update maybe at the start of each ad break, but constantly playing nothing but the news and no news except the bushfires? And they're calling them 'Inferno's'. It's a bush fire, no matter how you put it mate.

Again. Deepest sorrow for those who have lost everything. Don't get me wrong there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2012
    Oh it's very true. They lit them in hope that their unit would be called out to tackle the blaze.
    Could you provide a source (since I am curious to find out more)? I've read many articles and reports dealing with the Australian wildfires and have read that some fires are believed to have been started by arsonists, but I have not come across any that have echoed your specific allegation.

1KewlDude

Really busy... STRESS!!
    Years
    But firefighters are selfless people who risk their lives to rescue people, so this means that they are kind people... Also, they don't get payed more because the whole of Australia is on fire... so there is no point... I think all you are saying is a lie and if it is, it's disgusting that you would make a joke out of so many people's misery...

However, feel free to prove me wrong...

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    But firefighters are selfless people who risk their lives to rescue people, so this means that they are kind people... Also, they don't get payed more because the whole of Australia is on fire... so there is no point... I think all you are saying is a lie and if it is, it's disgusting that you would make a joke out of so many people's misery...

Firefighters are mainly pyromaniacs.

Prove me wrong.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    The fires are awful, really. I prayed quite a bit for the Aussies who're experiencing the toughest heat wave they've had in quite awhile. I mean to be attempting to evacuate and then having your car catch flames or get stuck on a hot road/run into a flaming forest? It's like hell's kitchen down there, literally..

I can only hope they evacuate correctly or things die down. It would be awful for the fires to reach the bigger cities.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Yeah, I heard it was pretty bad in Melbourne and Victoria in general.
    My own Sydney grass has gone yellow and crispy.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011

You think I would make a joke of this?
    I haven't heard from my cousins since Ash Saturday.
    I would never make stuff up.
    And if you have even thought of watching TV you would have seen them explain that some fire frighters do lit the fires.
    Don't say that I'm lying because I might have lost family. And I would never lie about anything that would afect my family this much.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    You wouldn't know.

The temperatures had dropped to, like, 23 degrees after that heatwave, then they suddenly soared to almost 50 degrees. It was boiling hot! So hot that people were finding it hard to breathe. And it isn't just sunny-hot. Humidity sticks to your skin like a leech.

The fires were horrible. Almost 200 dead already, and very little change. The fires won't be able to reach me, unless some a-hole lights a fire in their backyard and torches us all.

These fires are worse than the ones that occurred in the Ash Wednesday fires in the '80s. And those were bad. These fires, though, are worse. They are already reaching the outskirts of Melbourne, and they are showing almost no signs of stopping. It wouldn't take much for the fires to race here.

And that's when we're really in danger.

And if you have even thought of watching TV you would have seen them explain that some fire frighters do lit the fires.
    Don't say that I'm lying because I might have lost family. And I would never lie about anything that would afect my family this much.

Your cousins were caught up in this?? Oh, dear. And you haven't heard of them either?

We got loads of calls from overseas asking us if we were okay. Our family is, but not for long... All it would take is strong winds to push the fire here and burn us all.

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    It is horrible to think that entire towns have been burned to the ground.
    It is worse to think of people who have lost their lives, families and all their possessions to a fire which has left a mark on us all.
    My school has set up various events to support the bushfire victims such as donating blood to help people with sever burns, wearing casual clothes for a minimum gold coin donation and even going around at lunch time with buckets collecting money.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    You wouldn't know.

The temperatures had dropped to, like, 23 degrees after that heatwave, then they suddenly soared to almost 50 degrees. It was boiling hot! So hot that people were finding it hard to breathe. And it isn't just sunny-hot. Humidity sticks to your skin like a leech.

The fires were horrible. Almost 200 dead already, and very little change. The fires won't be able to reach me, unless some a-hole lights a fire in their backyard and torches us all.

These fires are worse than the ones that occurred in the Ash Wednesday fires in the '80s. And those were bad. These fires, though, are worse. They are already reaching the outskirts of Melbourne, and they are showing almost no signs of stopping. It wouldn't take much for the fires to race here.

And that's when we're really in danger.

Yeah, if it reaches Melbourne it's really going to cause even more serious damage.
    I'm lucky though, I live on the Mornington Peninsula so the fires won't effect us too badly.

Your cousins were caught up in this?? Oh, dear. And you haven't heard of them either?

We got loads of calls from overseas asking us if we were okay. Our family is, but not for long... All it would take is strong winds to push the fire here and burn us all.

Yeah, if it reaches Melbourne it's really going to cause even more serious damage.
    I'm lucky though, I live on the Mornington Peninsula so the fires won't effect us too badly. And we just heard from our cousins, they're alright and their house is still standing. The fires came close to them, seeing as they were in Bendigo. They might be evacuated but their still unshore.

It is horrible to think that entire towns have been burned to the ground.
    It is worse to think of people who have lost their lives, families and all their possessions to a fire which has left a mark on us all.
    My school has set up various events to support the bushfire victims such as donating blood to help people with sever burns, wearing casual clothes for a minimum gold coin donation and even going around at lunch time with buckets collecting money.

Yeah, the entire town of Marysville is gone. There were over 400 house there and now their is nothing left.
    My schools doing the same thing, except only the older students are allowed to donate blood.

1KewlDude

Really busy... STRESS!!
    Years
    Well I have obviously watched some reports but nothing about any firefighters starting any fires... and if I was in a place where this was happening, the last thing I would want to hear is that the very people who I am supposed to be able to trust my life with are starting fires... you just seemed very unsympathetic and just trying to make a story... also why would you want it to be true...
    Don't say that I'm lying because I might have lost family.
    I would much rather believe that it was nature than arson if it was to do with my family... anyone for that matter... and saying that it was firefighters makes it worse because some people need hope right now... and this story isn't really helping... true or not.

Years
    Hearing this is rather scary. I tend to get a lot of fires near me over here in California but nothing like this. I hope they can get it under control soon. :(

Years
    Hearing this is rather scary. I tend to get a lot of fires near me over here in California but nothing like this. I hope they can get it under control soon. :(

I agree once actual news outside of the US National or Mid East actually gets broadcasted in the Night Time news then it must be big.

I remember the fires last year here near LA and dang you could see the ashes on the floor all the way down here in San Pedro/Wilmington! That's more than 15 Miles away!

I hope you guys stay safe...=/

Back