• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Battle Subway!

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2022
    i only played the single train, and i most say i like it.
    but the difficulty could be harder i guess.

Years
  • Personally for me it has nothing on the Battle Frontier, it just lacks variety and I find it far easier than Battle Frontier was. Anything with Dragon Dance just runs riot in there, particularly Haxorus with its vast movepool and Kingdra with its one weakness. I've found Serperior generally does quite well in there as well.
    It serves its purpose though, quick and easy BP and it's still enjoyable with the unpredictability and challenge the more battles you win.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2011
    I'm about to try this for the first time. I remember owning whatever the equivalent was in the third gen game, winning 20+ battles in a row a few times, probably won around 95% of the battles. Was certainly easier than the battle institute.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2011
    Wow, this is much better than the battle institute. Example, giga drain was a OHKO over there (to my Samurott) and in the double train, it took 40% lol. 6-0 in about 15 minutes while watching the baseball game.

The_Noob

Banned
    Years
  • I ****ing love the Battle Subway. Far more fun than the Battle Tower or Factory from Emerald, Platinum, or HGSS.

All we need now is a few extra trains to make up for the loss of the Battle Castle, Battle Arcade, and Battle Hall.

My fave Subway is definitely the Super Double, the only Super Train I've unlocked so far. My first battle with Emmet/Kobori/Smiley was absolutely epic.

Noob out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Singles is the most fun, though Ive played double and super doubles. My record is sitting at a 70 win streak in Super Singles right now

Years
  • I really like the battle subway. It adds variety that the battle tower never had also it seems a lot easier. I just beat the super single train and now I have to take on the double and the multi. Honestly I like the battle frontier better because there was more variety but the battle subway is still fun!

espeon2020

I loves eeveelutions :D
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    I would've rather had the Battle Frontier only because of the fact that there's more variety.

For anyone who cares, I beat the Doubles Train with this:
    -Altaria (Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Cotton Guard)
    -Jolteon (Volt Switch,Thunderbolt, Helping Hand, Shadow Ball)
    -Vespiquen (Heal Order, Attack Order, Defend Order, Power Gem)
    -Gallade (Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Swords Dance)

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Even though I am not that big on battling, I think the Battle Subway is very cool. They made it very realistic. It's like you are actually on a real train! I defiantly find it more entertaining than the Battle Frontier.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I beat Ingo on the regular Singles line with an EV trained Excadrill alone. It OHKOed Klinklang (after switching in on a Volt Switch) and Garbodor with Earthquake. It also 2HKOed Crustle with Rock Slide; before the second hit, it took a hefty amount of damage from Earthquake, I was surprised that the KO fell short.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2011
    I would like some analysis of my strategy which, being implemented one time, got me to the Doubles boss (but lost due to two of my pokemon being put to sleep by two hypnosis moves :| ). I decided to train Haxorus because Cryagonal was, well, not hacking it. I start with Samurott and Haxorus, and use surf and earthquake, respectively, because of the low collateral damage it does, and high damage/100 accuracy it has. I got the idea from heat wave, which has saved my butt a few times, although I don't care for the accuracy too much (seems like it misses more than 10% but that's probably just my pessimism). Obviously I adjust accordingly for fliers, hydro absorbers etc. but it seemed to be quite strong for this first run. The two moves combined knock out just about any pair that isn't very strong to both. I will try it again tonight.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    i really liked battle subway. i dont know about battle frontier cause 1st gen and 5th gen are the only pokemon games i've played. anyways, its enjoyable.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Does anybody know which pokemon are "banned" from the battle subway/institute, besides the legendaries? Can you use traded pokemon, or ones from previous gens?
    You can use any Pokemon as long as it's not on the banned list (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyruem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect).

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
  • The Battle Subway is very fun!^^ I really like it more than the Battle Tower because this feeling of a journey is implied there which makes everything feel more alive!^^ About the difficulity, the normal trains haven't been that hard!^^ Good old Salamence kicked some butt with Dragon Claw, Hydro Pump and Rock Slide!^^ The Super trains are pretty hard sometimes, though...

For those who have battled in the Subway, how have you found it?

Super awesome!^^ Battling in a subway is much more epic than one might think!^^

More to the point are there any teams you've had more success with? I'll be more interested to hear of double teams as a lot of strategy is involved, generally just more interesting than the singles battles.

My team? Yeah... It's a Trick Room team with the that only has one job: Destroy everything that dares blocking off my path!^^ The four Pokemon I usually rely on most are those:

Reuniclus @Life Orb
    -Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    -shadow Ball
    -Trick Room

Amoonguss @Focus Sash
    -Anger Powder
    -Spore
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb

Conkeldurr @Flame Orb
    -Mach Punch
    -Rock Slide
    -Revenge
    -Hammer Arm

Chandelure @Expert Belt
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Energy Ball
    -Flamethrower
    -Shadow Ball

Is pretty good but after the 13th battle my luck leaves me for some reason... There's always this combination of a fast and a slow Pokemon (usually only those my team has problems with) there that I can't really counter...^^

Do you have different teams for single and doubles or do you use the same in both categories?

I used to do that but with the VGC being soon, I decided to make a good Double battle team!^^ For singles, I keep using my old team of Togekiss, Latias (has to be in there) and Porygon-Z!^^

Back