• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beginning Letter Challenge

Cookiez

The Shining Light
    Years
    So Suicune.. Can i give you a letter? cuz i diden't give 1 to any1 yet?
    if so take... Wait for it.... C!!!
    also how'd you get your GIF's
    to work in your siggy and Icon?
    I was trying and it diden't work...

blue

gucci
    Years
    Withdrawing.. Again, Apologies, I will enter once I am fully avaliable to post updates ect.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    More progress on my Platinum T challenge:

-Won my third gym badge
    -Defeated my rival again, then progressed to Solaceon Town
    -Found HM05 Defog
    -Won my fourth gym badge
    -Found HM02 Fly
    -Togepi evolved into Togetic
    -Caught Croagunk in the Great Marsh
    -Defeated Crasher Wake for Gym Badge #5
    -Reached Celestic Town, got rid of Team Galactic there, and obtained HM03 Surf
    -Got HM04 at Iron Island and completed objectives there

The team:
    -Torterra lvl. 49
    -Togetic lvl. 40
    -Croagunk lvl. 40
    -Psyduck lvl. 8 (surf, strength, rock smash)
    -Budew lvl. 13 (cut)
    -Chatot lvl. 25 (fly, defog)

Another day, another update:
    -Won my sixth gym badge
    -Dealt with the trouble at Lake Valor
    -Reached Snowpoint City and won my seventh gym badge
    -Caught Bibarel as a new HM slave (rock climb, cut, etc.)
    -Completed Team Galactic-related objectives in Veilstone City
    -Went to Spear Pillar and the Distortion World, dealt with Team Galactic, etc.
    -Won my eighth and final gym badge
    -Passed through Victory Road
    -Beat my rival outside of the Elite Four

The team now:

-Torterra lvl. 58
    -Togekiss lvl. 57
    -Toxicroak lvl. 58
    -Chatot lvl. 25
    -Psyduck lvl. 8
    -Bibarel lvl. 18

And next, the Elite Four:

Aaron: Nothing terribly exciting happened. All three team members participated.
    Bertha: Torterra started off the battle well, but then got clobbered by a Critical Hit Ice Fang from Gliscor. Togekiss finished up the rest of the battle with Water Pulse.
    Flint: Togekiss and Torterra took care of him easily.
    Lucian: Torterra + Crunch. Togekiss helped with Bronzong. Toxicroak just doesn't seem to be seeing a whole lot of playing time here.

And the champion:

Cynthia: Garchomp got way too many critical hits in against me, but Togekiss finally took it down. Toxicroak saw some action and took down Milotic. Torterra took care of many of the other Pokemon. Togekiss finished off the battle vs. Roserade.

Game time: 22:44 (sped up a bit in real life)

The final team:

Torterra lvl. 61
    -Razor Leaf
    -Return
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake

Togekiss lvl. 60
    -Water Pulse
    -Psychic
    -Ancientpower
    -Shock Wave

Toxicroak lvl. 59
    -Mud Bomb
    -Faint Attack
    -Revenge
    -Poison Jab

Psyduck lvl. 8
    Bibarel lvl. 18
    Chatot lvl. 25

Reflections: Whew! Finally done with all four regions. I must say, I think I preferred the earlier regions better than the later ones, but that might be because they play more quickly. Platinum was a lot of fun, as it finally offered me a new, fully-evolved team to use, but it took a while. Still, though, I'd never used Toxicroak or Togekiss before, and I hadn't used Torterra alone for so much of the game, so that was an interesting new experience. I suppose I could have used Tentacruel again in this game, but I was sick of it and decided that I would rather just train a team of three rather than four.

Overall, my least favorite region was Hoenn, mainly due to the lack of evolved T Pokemon to choose from. Johto was probably the easiest and least unusual, as I've used Typhlosion before. Kanto was irritating in that it took so long to get my first Pokemon, but it was a breeze after that (and without the special split, my team was a lot better than in later generations).

I had never realized how few T Pokemon there were before doing this challenge. Some letters offer a lot of options to the player, but with T, I didn't have that many team decisions to make, especially in the earlier games.

I really enjoyed this challenge. Maybe I'll come back and do another letter at some point. For now, though, I think I might go try another challenge.

Best of luck to anyone who is currently completing this challenge!

Last edited:
    Years
    Since everyone seems to have a letter thus far, I'll just go ahead and enter this challenge using the Gen II Silver game. It'd have been Gen I Red but as I just got into Pokemon rather recently (beginning of the month), I'll reserve my current game for a proper playthrough.

So, walking in pretty much completely blind (hey, added challenge for a side-bonus, at least), who wants to give me a letter? =)

blue

gucci
    Years
    Since everyone seems to have a letter thus far, I'll just go ahead and enter this challenge using the Gen II Silver game. It'd have been Gen I Red but as I just got into Pokemon rather recently (beginning of the month), I'll reserve my current game for a proper playthrough.

So, walking in pretty much completely blind (hey, added challenge for a side-bonus, at least), who wants to give me a letter? =)

I'll give you a letter!

You can have...

C

Years
    Okay, first progress report:

1)Chose Chikorita as my beginning Pokemon.

2)While trying to make my way to Mr. Pokemon's house, was thoroughly thrashed by Weedle and Pidgey encounters. Eventually, I had to constantly run away, trying to make it back to Prof. Elm's healing machine.

3) Repeatedly had to suffer #2 until I simply wound up grinding to level 8 which awarded me Razor Leaf. Tackle decided that it wasn't going to bother with accuracy for the vast majority of the fights, hence the grinding.

4) Finally get to Mr. Pokemon's house and instead of coming to Prof. Elm's aid immediately upon exiting, figured that I had best grind more levels. This was in anticipation of the first gym to *probably* not follow the type pattern that I have experienced so far in my Red game.

5) Chikorita is now level 17, I have answered Prof. Elm's distress signal and am now going to take a break until tomorrow.

EDIT: Got bored, started the game up again.

6) Got to Violet City and decided to explore instead of head straight to the gym. Beat Sprout Tower challenge and ground out a few more levels.

7) Went into gym and was drastically surprised at how much I overestimated the gym leader's strength level. Level 21 Chikorita vs level 9 Pidgeotto? Yeah...that was a bit trivial. Oh well, better safe than sorry, right?

8) Looked up potential extra team members that have 'C' as their beginning name letter. Oh, dear. Not very many so Chikorita is going solo for quite some time to come. (Okay, *this* is really and truly the final edit of the night because it was pointed out to me a few of the differences between generations.) Nevermind, I didn't know about having to wait until morning for Caterpie as I was only encountering Weedle nor was I aware that Golbat had another evolutionary stage added onto it. I am kicking myself for not having researched enough to realize either of these things. Would have *loved* to have battle fodder so I didn't lose a giant chunk of cash or white-out due to my rival. However, at least now I know.

9) After defeating Team Rocket and breaking up their Slowpoke Tail scheme, went to try the western exit from the town. Bad idea. My rival challenged me and Quilava's Ember completely scorched Chikorita even though she was at level 27 and I even used a Super Potion during the fight. I assume this means I failed the challenge for 'whiting out', I believe it's called? However, I still want to continue on and see how well I fare.

Edit: New day, and by gad, this is insane.

10) Managed to get a Caterpie (almost missed the time span it was available, and used up all but two of my pokeballs because I don't have Poisonpowder and I'd one-shot it if I did anything else) and trained it level 11 so I would have an easier time to catch a Zubat.

11) Finally get said Zubat and proceeded to train it and Caterpie up to level 22, each. The resulting Golbat is quite nice to have as backup. When I run into my rival again, I can at least hope to get a few confused cheap shots on his Quilava should Chikorita still be unable to withstand its fire attacks.

12) Have progressed all the way to Ecruteak City with nothing really noteworthy happening. However, challenged Morty and lost quite badly. His team would not hurt themselves in confusion and made quick work of Golbat. Caterpie obviously was quite useless. Chikorita being level 38 and all, I expected Razor Leaf to be pretty good but I was horribly wrong.

It would miss half the time and his Haunter used Curse before I made it faint. Gengar, while only level 25, was very resistant to Razor Leaf and would have required 3 hits. However, Hypnosis + Dream Eater on TOP of the curse made darn sure I didn't get more than one hit in, even with using potions and awakening items.

13) Whited out and proceeded to see if I could explore past the city. Thankfully finding out that indeed I could, I made my way to Olivine City. Was grateful I didn't have to fight my rival again, him simply spewing plot-advancement details.

14) Went up the Lighthouse and battling everyone I could find there. Talked to the gym leader caring for the Pokemon there. *Really* didn't want to have to go catch and train an HM slave for Surf for the time being. Besides, I have Morty to go beat down now.

15) Headed back to Ecruteak City, rested up my team, and proceeded to completely luck out on Morty with critical hits. Thank goodness. However, my relief would not last long due to the following. Please note this because it is a:

**GIANT 16**) Noooooooooo! I had my sound off when I beat Morty and had to put down the game to get the phone. I hadn't realized Chikorita leveled to 42 during that battle (yeah, how I didn't notice, probably mashing the buttons to try and skip unnecessary battle information which I've seen a hundred times already). I came back to the game, it having flipped upside down when I went to grab the phone. When I grabbed onto it and instinctively felt for the buttons it would've canceled out of the evolution screen.

So, me thinking it's back to business, I SAVED THE GAME. I got a very nasty surprise when I came across my next battle.

As such, I will be regretfully withdrawing from this challenge. I cannot do that all over again. That's...I don't even have the proper words for it.

Last edited:
    Back