• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Best Around

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
Years
  • So... X and Y were revolutionary to the Pokemon franchise, and now that the hype of them being "the new games" is wearing off, I wanted to ask: Do you really think X and Y were the best games yet? New doesn't always mean better, but I personally think X and Y are truly the best around. So what are your thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I genuinely thought that X and Y dropped in quality compared to Black/White. X and Y lacked an interesting post-game content, the story was noticeably worse than Black/White, the battle facility is extremely sub-par considering Black/White2 had the Battle Subway, White Hollow/Black Tower and Pokemon World Tournament, the list does go on for a little bit.

X and Y are kind of like Diamond/Pearl, they're not too bad but there's a lot that needs to be improved upon when they release the "Sister" game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I do... Only thing I think they lacked in is postgame content. I've always had a soft spot for Firered and I think that would genuinely have been my favourite had I been able to play it to its full potential with events, wireless trading etc but having come to the games so late that wasn't an option. Even without all that though, its a close runner up so yeah I think it is on a par. Obviously the graphics and stuff are better but I'm talking actual content.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • Post game content may be lacking... But to get another game just 13 months later makes up for it to me. Besides, do you really think they'd have time to program anymore, looking at all the graphical, and mechanical overhauls done. Not to mention they VASTLY improved online. The C-gear was simply a hot mess imo.

Years
  • I love X and Y, but I don't even use the 3D feature, and the only reason I purchased a 3DS originally was for Animal Crossing: New Leaf and X & Y. Although I enjoyed X & Y, I love the more traditional sprites.

For a conclusion, I'm kinda on the fence. I like X & Y, but it's not my favourite game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Post game content may be lacking... But to get another game just 13 months later makes up for it to me. Besides, do you really think they'd have time to program anymore, looking at all the graphical, and mechanical overhauls done. Not to mention they VASTLY improved online. The C-gear was simply a hot mess imo.
    I'd rather that that they make a game with all the content I want in it instead of releasing games lacking stuff and then releasing what they should've released in the first place 1~1.5 year later. But they do it because they know I'll buy the games anyway....

And its not as if they don't have the time to do these things; they don't absolutely have to release a Pokemon game every year like they've been doing since '09. Game Freak can't really be in financial danger; they own one of the most successful video game franchises of all time and are probably rolling in money.

But I do agree that the online system is loads better than previous iterations.

Anyway, I basically agree with Dr. Silver that X/Y is like Diamond/Pearl; good games, but the lack in post-game content and story means they won't ever be the best Pokemon games ever to me. However, I do believe that Kalos has a lot of potential and that the 3rd version (Z or whatever it will be) could very well be the best Pokemon game ever made. Guess we'll have to wait and see....

Years
  • Obviously it will differ for everyone but I think for me the Gold/Silver adventures are near impossible to beat. I enjoyed X/Y but the experiences I've had in Johto have so far been the best I've had in terms of the hand-held games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    X and Y are relatively poor but they do have unique features, the pokemon-Amie and the super training to kill some time off but compared to the other games, I wouldn't say it's the best but I would say it's more of a step backwards i'm afraid

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • X and Y are relatively poor but they do have unique features, the pokemon-Amie and the super training to kill some time off but compared to the other games, I wouldn't say it's the best but I would say it's more of a step backwards i'm afraid

This pretty much sums up my opinion of gen 5. But, of course, everyone's opinions will differ, exactly why I started this Thread!

Years
  • X and Y brought a whole bunch of shiny, new features to be explored, and totally changed the way Pokemon games look. I think they're extremely important additions to the franchise, but may not be the best games in the series. Close, but there are some factors that pull it away from that title. However, with some renovation and tweaking, the sequel could blow us away. To be honest, when playing through Kalos, the 3D graphics made a huge impact on my opinion. If they had continued their old graphics style, X and Y might be significantly lower on my list of the best Pokemon games.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • They were certainly my favorite games so far. I'd always felt weird playing the old games, where your character tended to look less like a human and more like a lego building. Aside from graphics, I loved the new gameplay elements, and liked all the new pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    The games are very good IMO, I think Ruby/Sapphire were the best (I enjoyed them the most for numerous reasons). Lots of people say lack of (interesting or whatever) post-game content is an issue, I half agree with that, if there were another 1 or 2 towns/cities to visit after beating the Champion (other than Kiloude City) I feel the game would have been better. The positive new features in this game get overlooked (by me too, but I feel other people just take it for granted) the customization is nice (can be improved on drastically though, I don't want glasses or a feather on my hat, I don't even want to wear hat :( ), breeding feels possible to do now with the mechanics changes, megas really changed the game in a good way 90% of the time. I have played the game with Exp-share on and off, I can see why they put it in but it makes the game far too easy on, its not really challenging with it off either though, there needs to be a difficulty level setting to make the AI not stupid, maybe higher leveled pokes and more pokemon per trainer (I'm not sure how much more challenging it would become, too difficult to know in theory alone). Like mentioned above this, the online so much better, its the first time I have actually been able to use an actual game(as in a physical game not PS/PO) to play online.

The post game was good IMO, I think getting the mega-stones was good, kilode City (and everything that is in it), the Looker missions (these are actually took me a long time, over 2 hours), Mewtwo + Zygarde + Bird. I kind of wish I never looked up the mega stone locations, finding them for myself would have been satisfying but the 8PM-9PM thing makes it ridiculous to try it without the internet IMO.

Overall good games, but far too easy (not that pokemon games are ever difficult but these really are too easy). They made Knock Off ridiculous, they need to remove the 1.5 times damage to make it not as OP as it is, critical hits are not as game changing as they were but of course they still can be. Defog being a method of removing hazards has been a good mechanic change too IMO.

Also I don't really know what Amie/Super Training actually do I have messed with them both before it isn't clear what their actual effects are to me (as in the game doesn't make it clear what you are doing, that might just be me)

Years
  • I would say they're not quite the highest for me, but they're close. The adventure felt amazing between the 3D aspects and gigantic variety of Pokémon to go with. Although something that happened back in December (which I won't go into) made them not my #1 favorites, they're still #2 for me (guess which one #1 is, lol). The breeding mechanics make collecting Pokémon and shiny hunting considerably more enjoyable than in past generations.

Years
  • HGSS were IMO the best games of the franchise. When it comes to 2nd gen pokemon, they are probably last in comparison to all of the games. But the fact you can collect up to 16 badges, catch a good amount of legendaries, face RED in probably the best battle in any pokemon game yet especially since his pokemon are level 82-88. With all of the game gameplay you get makes it probably the best.

Now XY were really good, and I enjoyed it a lot. The new pokemon were awesome, the characters were all pretty interesting, but lack of post-game really killed it for me. And the one thing that grinds my gears the most is that you cannot rebattle the Elite 4 with an updated team. They will probably fix that up in the 3 installment game.

Back