• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

Years
I'm still here! Been quite a while xD
Since the last time I posted, I've finished my software engineering degree (the final year and a half during the pandemic), and am now working as a fullstack developer for a small company that produces operations management software. It's not the most glamorous/interesting software to be working on, nor the most high-paying job out there, but I enjoy the work (most of the time) and having a relatively secure job in a well-established and growing business during these somewhat uncertain times is certainly something.

Last edited:
Years
Doesnt seem like its been active in here for a while, but Im here if theres anybody else!😂 I completed a bootcamp, and have been working solo for a small company on a few projects. Definitely junior level so if there's anybody that wants to accountability partners and check in and talk about code~

I do MERN stack so the only programming language I'm comfortable in is JavaScript, but I do know basic python, C# and C++.

I really need to work on my portfolio, my end goal someday would be to get into game development!

Since the last time I posted, I've finished my software engineering degree (the final year and a half during the pandemic), and am now working as a fullstack developer for a small company that produces operations management software. It's not the most glamorous/interesting software to be working on, nor the most high-paying job out there, but I enjoy the work (most of the time) and having a relatively secure job in a well-established and growing business during these somewhat uncertain times is certainly something.

if you guys have any projects y'all'd like to share feel free to post about them in our git out thread!! o:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=485851

Years
No projects for me other than school assignments xD I've never gotten more than a couple hundred lines into a personal project, and haven't done anything at all on personal projects since I've started working lol not really motivated to do even more programming after spending 8 hours doing it at work

superharvio

Super Harvio
Years
Doesnt seem like its been active in here for a while, but Im here if theres anybody else!😂 I completed a bootcamp, and have been working solo for a small company on a few projects. Definitely junior level so if there's anybody that wants to accountability partners and check in and talk about code~

I do MERN stack so the only programming language I'm comfortable in is JavaScript, but I do know basic python, C# and C++.

I really need to work on my portfolio, my end goal someday would be to get into game development!

I'm here too, now! (Just joined PC yesterday 😂)
Congrats on the bootcamp and the job. Got a friend going through something similar so I know it can be a lot of work in a very small amount of time!
Did you do software stuff much before the bootcamp?

I'm also junior and happen to be looking for accountabili-buddies so I can totally be one for you 😊
Kinda the opposite of you lol: Comfy in C# and python (I guess not so much C++ anymore; was my first lang but it's been a while), and I'm just now digging into JS.

Would you want to work AAA or do something more indie, ideally?
And as for my goals: I just wanna make fangames, honestly lol

superharvio

Super Harvio
Years

Good going! Seeing a lot of parallels here with my experience: I finished my degree during the pandemic too---a bachelors in math---and got a job as a test automation engineer for a company maintaining candidate tracking systems. Rather dull work but it has elevated me to a very nice place economically so I feel bad complaining 😅

Is there anything your shooting for, career- or hobby-wise, with your software skills?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today

I started this thread quite some time ago, I'm amazed that it's still up and going! (The initial post was nuked for reasons but that's a whole other discussion). I'm glad to see it's still getting posts even now!

I do need to work on my portfolio for the same reason, actually. I'm hoping to get into some game dev in the next few years once I establish myself and get out on my own. I've got some ideas for projects but I need time to put pen to paper and get the ball rolling in those respects. I'm hoping that'll start soon though, perhaps within the next year or two.
Wow, congratulations! The pandemic definitely gave a lot of people time to pursue education to further themselves in the field, which is really great to see. The job stability in this field is definitely a great thing to have though.

Years
Good going! Seeing a lot of parallels here with my experience: I finished my degree during the pandemic too---a bachelors in math---and got a job as a test automation engineer for a company maintaining candidate tracking systems. Rather dull work but it has elevated me to a very nice place economically so I feel bad complaining 😅

Is there anything your shooting for, career- or hobby-wise, with your software skills?

I don't have any specific goals right now. I'm not hugely ambitious to be honest, my only real goal is to have a job that I enjoy and that supports the kind of life I want to live. I'd like to just work on something that's more interesting, either because the programming itself is more interesting (more "problem solving"/algorithmic stuff, less connecting a UI to a database and fighting with CSS xD) or because the software is something that I'm interested in even if the programming part is similar to what I'm doing now. An almost-opportunity came along a few months ago with a small(ish)-but-established company that had software I'm definitely interested in (and have used every day since I heard of them) but they went into a hiring freeze while setting up my final interview, and with so many companies that have over-extended themselves and then started doing layoffs in the last little while, I'm a bit wary of a company that sounds like it may have had the same problem. So I'll stick with my company for now, get some more experience, and may start casually looking for better opportunities again once things settle down a bit.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
I don't have any specific goals right now. I'm not hugely ambitious to be honest, my only real goal is to have a job that I enjoy and that supports the kind of life I want to live. I'd like to just work on something that's more interesting, either because the programming itself is more interesting (more "problem solving"/algorithmic stuff, less connecting a UI to a database and fighting with CSS xD) or because the software is something that I'm interested in even if the programming part is similar to what I'm doing now. An almost-opportunity came along a few months ago with a small(ish)-but-established company that had software I'm definitely interested in (and have used every day since I heard of them) but they went into a hiring freeze while setting up my final interview, and with so many companies that have over-extended themselves and then started doing layoffs in the last little while, I'm a bit wary of a company that sounds like it may have had the same problem. So I'll stick with my company for now, get some more experience, and may start casually looking for better opportunities again once things settle down a bit.

Yeah it's hard to get that first job. I work tutoring and been freelancing for this guy, both part time. The freelance is pretty much a start up I'm doing solo for him but still wouldn't count it as "official web dev job" part time low pay and freelance but vamping up my portfolio lately and applications lately again🥵

Years
Yeah it's hard to get that first job. I work tutoring and been freelancing for this guy, both part time. The freelance is pretty much a start up I'm doing solo for him but still wouldn't count it as "official web dev job" part time low pay and freelance but vamping up my portfolio lately and applications lately again🥵

I mean, I got my first/current job within 2 weeks of when I started applying to jobs, but that was just before inflation really got going and big companies started doing mass layoffs lol (although my company hasn't really been affected at all, still gaining new business and needing to hire new people). It's the decision of whether/when to start looking for a new better-paying/more interesting job that's proving to be difficult xD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
I mean, I got my first/current job within 2 weeks of when I started applying to jobs, but that was just before inflation really got going and big companies started doing mass layoffs lol (although my company hasn't really been affected at all, still gaining new business and needing to hire new people). It's the decision of whether/when to start looking for a new better-paying/more interesting job that's proving to be difficult xD

How did find the job? You're looking for a new job now?

Years
How did find the job? You're looking for a new job now?

Shotgun approach on Indeed basically xD Created my resume, made a saved search with all the criteria for the kind of job I wanted, downloaded the app to my phone, and then I'd apply to anywhere that had the "quick apply" or whatever it's called during my lunch/coffee breaks at the job I had at the time (temporary "office assistant" type job), and save any jobs that required a more in-depth application to do at home. Turned down a few responses when I looked into the company more and decided it wasn't for me, then got a request for an interview from a company that actually looked decent, liked them in the interview, and decided to go for it. And so far it has been a very good job, just, you know, not my "dream job" lol

I'm not actively looking for a new job right now, but I'm open to opportunities if they come along, and did have some good interviews with one place I was referred to by an acquaintance, but it ended up falling through due to a hiring freeze. I would like to find a new job with more interesting software and hopefully better pay, but between the state of the economy right now, and several big things coming up in my personal/family life in the next few months that I want to focus on... it doesn't feel like the right time for me to start looking. So I'm going to give it 6 months and then start a more focused search than I did the first time.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
That Shotgun approach what Ive been doing so glad to hear it can work haha. Yeah I agree doesnt seem to be great time to get a new job 😂

But hope you get some good when you get back at it, dont think you can settle always gotta keep going for dream job!

Years
Good luck with finding that first job! I feel like it's a foot-in-the-door kind of situation with your first: just have to get something and then you can use that as a stepping stone for the next thing. My one hard-and-fast rule was that I was absolutely not going to work for a start-up lol there was one particularly memorable company application that had a few iffy questions, and then I got to "how committed are you to the start-up culture?" and just noped right on out of that one 😂 The whole thing just screamed "we want you to dedicate your entire life to our company" and I am not about that

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Thank You! I feel that where they want to have a hold of your life type a thing haha. I did have an interview with a job offer but it seemed really old fashioned All in house, in office which would be cool to see their own server but with how they were describing said it would take 6 months to learn their in house code and looking for a 2 year commitment. Im looking to move within the year and at the time it seems like I would be niching myself to their code and it wouldn't be able to stay relevant to the outside world of web dev. But thinking about it now, coding is coding. I would feel little bad about it but I think next job Ill say what they want hear, a business will put itself over the employee so I gotta put my career over the business.

Years
Yeah, personally I feel like trying to keep "relevant" is something that's unachievable. The game changes so fast and there is just so much out there that you're never going to know it all (plus, maybe its different with web dev, but there's plenty of legacy software out there that needs developers too). Like you said, coding is coding, experience is experience. The logic and problem solving skills are all transferrable from one job to the next regardless of the exact language/framework/architecture of their code. I've been working at my current company for almost 2 years and I still google relatively basic syntax and whether or not there are built in functions for this or that every day because I'm working in 4 different languages and can't keep the specifics straight 😂 when I was in university we had to use at least one new language every semester (if not 2 or 3) so that was one of my "selling points" in my interview - sure I've never used any of the languages or frameworks you guys are using other than SQL, but over the last four years I've had to learn a dozen within a couple of weeks each to be able to write my assignments, so I think I'll be ok xD (and it was true - I already had my first change approved by the second day, and they threw me a super weird ticket as my first one to boot lol)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Yeah I that interview that interview from my first 3 applications when I got back into the search. And While talking to them it was pretty much set I could have the job if I wanted to commit atleast a few years to those guys, so I might ve overestimated my demand / underestimated the market😂 haha. Now Im at like 70 more applications since then and crickets😅. Lesson learned. I have been meaning to expand on my python and learn C# so that is movitation to get on the languages 👍

Do you have a favorite and/or most used language? Least favorite?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Can confirm that there's still a lot of old software that needs developers, especially the non-web based things. The code I work with was originally (30+ years ago) written in Fortran, then ported to C then ported to Delphi, then they needed to write an interface for that Delphi code which they did in C++ which is also just an inflated term for "some of it is C and some of it is C++".

So for me it's mostly working with Delphi and sometimes C++ code. And Delphi + its entire development environment gives off that vibe of "boomer who refuses to catch up with the modern times, let alone innovade". Like, it's IDE has to be one of the most annoying, bug infested environments I've ever experienced. And even though they sell new versions every year it just doesn't get better. They fix one issue and ten new ones arise. And some very basic stuff like key rebinding is simply not a thing. <_<
Well, at least they have an API that I was able to abuse in order to get some sort of key binding going. (I could literally complan about Delphi for hours xD)

Years
I wouldn't say I have a favourite myself. Technically speaking I've used C the most because that was the "core" language at my university, but it's been 2 years since I've used it so I've probably lost my proficiency. I feel like I haven't really used enough languages for long enough to really have a favourite. I mostly work in C# for my job, and I enjoy it, but, not sure how to describe it... the language is just the "window dressing" for me, it ultimately doesn't matter to me what the language is as long it's not actively weird or difficult to use/learn.

Like Javascript 😂 I have a very love-hate relationship with js. Sometimes it's the most beautiful, simple thing in the world. Other times I want to pitch it and my computer into a fire (along with CSS)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Looking into Javascript just made me remember how much I'm not into web development. xD

But I'm also drifting ever more away from object oriented programming as a paradigm. I think it's useful in its own way. But in order to build something properly that way you really need to lean into the object oriented style. However, most of the code I have to deal with was made mostly by people who have a more C-style or even Assembly background. And there's a lot of it.
But especially for just casual projects the amount of effort of planning objects and their associations doesn't really mesh well with "I just want to solve a problem". I used to force myself to do object oriented stuff but never got stuff done.

I don't really know of a language that I like more than others, tbh. I've actually tried a ton of them. And I've tried a lot of different paradigms/mixed styles and I always ended up finding something that really annoyed me about it. I guess Python is really cool because of all the libraries available and having tkinter coming with it installed is good for simple gui applications.

Years
Yeah, OO really only works if you actually properly follow OO design patterns, and if what you're building is suited to it. The software I'm working on is OO and it works well 90% of the time, but there are some places where... odd choices were made, mostly in the direction of going a little too far with the abstraction, like the people who originally created the software were planning for things that never actually happened or blindly following a pattern that was used somewhere else just for consistency even though it's not actually the best pattern to follow. There are a lot of unnecessary layers in places which gets very frustrating.

The software was originally written like 15(?) years ago by a 3rd party before the company had its own in-house dev team, and boy do I have some questions 😂 about 60% of the system has been re-written and is significantly better, but unfortunately that entire last 40% is all very interconnected so would all have to be done at once, and the owner of the company is hesitant to pull the trigger on it for a variety of reasons (much to the frustration of those of us who have to continue maintaining and adding new features to the old code)

Back