• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Speculation The Constant Rumors that Ash Ketchum will be leaving the Anime after Journeys

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Hey everyone. I felt like making this today. I guess I'm in a 'I feel like posting' mood. maybe it's because i got my 3ds back yay

Ever since the most recent anime series started (Journeys)... rumors have been running rampant about constant speculation that Ash Ketchum, who has been the main character of the anime for over 20 years now, will finally be walking into the sunset and leaving the show and anime franchise. Even Pokemon YouTubers, called PokeTubers for short, have been 'making content' claiming as such where they basically claim that yes, he is indeed leaving the show and basing it off of things the current show did and are doing. Most of this 'evidence' is the fact that Ash basically is competing in a 'World Championship' type of thing for the anime, which is similar to the video game World Championships that they finally managed to hold publicly for the first time since the pandemic started in London recently. He made it to the 'final 8' or the Top 8 Strongest Trainers in the world, or 'Masters 8' for short.

Now before I continue... THE NEXT FOLLOWING ARE MAJOR ANIME SPOILERS. IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM STOP READING NOW. (but I will put it in a spoiler box too)

Spoiler:

Even if this happens though... technically he would have made it to the finals and be the 'Runner Up' per se and that would technically make Ash Ketchum the #2 trainer in the world. Obviously his goal was always 'Pokemon Master' but the anime never clarifies what this actually is and the PokeTubers have used this as an excuse to claim that he could still leave the anime and still be trying to reach that goal.

Let's not forget who everyone is claiming will be the new MC of the anime if this happens. It's Goh. The character I honestly hate the most and loath everything about, and personally, is the worst character ever created in the existence of the Pokemon anime franchise. Is this just personally my opinion? Of course it is. Because everyone has one and is allowed to have one.

Needless to say... you won't be surprised to learn that if this actually happens and is the case... yeah... NO. I'll quit. I seriously won't watch the Pokemon anime anymore. I'm not dealing with this BS. The end of Journeys will be the 'series finale' in my headcanon. I am completely 100% serious about this.

But clearly I'm literally the only person in the world who is actually concerned about this. What do you all think? Do you think this is happening too? If so... why? Do you want this to happen? Again if so... why? Do you think this is all just baseless speculation and the PokeTubers are just clickbaiting? Which is possible I guess. Obviously. Just give your full thoughts on the fact that these rumors have been running more rampant now during the Journeys series, even more so with the end of Journeys seemingly near, then with any other anime series thus far.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Duh, PokéTubers are PokéTubers - of course they gotta make sensationalist clickbait thumbnails/videos to get more views. Let's not feed them further.

About your question on whether Ash could be leaving the Pokémon anime... I don't know how I feel about it. Sure, I'm kind of bored of him, but at the same time, it's gonna a huge shocker if he really does depart after the Pokémon World Coronation series. He's been with us for the past 25 years in one way or another, and to have a Pokémon anime on TV without him as the protagonist is going to feel... odd. Not bad, not good, just weird. Yet, I feel that it's not far-fetched for the latest Pokémon web anime like PokéToon, Evolutions, Twilight Wings and Hisuian Snow to have been experiments as to whether a Pokémon anime without Ash can be made. Given how successful they all were, that could mean that Ash effectively passing the torch to a new protagonist isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

On a perspective that is more influenced by my national background, though, I do feel that S/V should have a new protagonist. Look, I grew up watching the Latin American dub of the Pokémon anime, but even then I can't imagine Ash speaking Spanish, especially if he peppers Spanish words into his speech in the Japanese version to fit in with the locals of Paldea. Plus, even though the school setting is new to the games, Ash has already gone through the experience in Sun/Moon and it was his best season, so to put him in the same situation again is going to feel... disingenous, somehow. If there's going to be an anime based on S/V, I want a protagonist who is native to the region or at least someone who has lived there for a long time.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Personally, for me, if they want to get rid of Ash... I'd rather have a hard reboot then Goh as MC. just kill me please if that happens kthx

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2022
    I need them to keep Jessie and James in the anime! They have Morpeko and Jessie still needs to catch another Pokemon of her own.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2022
    For me Ash can't leave the anime. He has too many iconic Pokemon that we grew up with. Starting over with a new protagonist will not be the same.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think if Ash was going to leave, he would have by now. Going by what we know about Paldea, he can easily go there without 'losing' power that he has acquired. I think he will beat Leon, but even if he doesn't, he has basically beaten every champion up until this point.

However in Paldea, all those Gym Leaders are supposed to be considered 'Champion' Level.

The Paldea region has a Pokémon League and a special class of pro-rank Pokémon Trainers who have achieved the Champion Rank. These Trainers have grown with their Pokémon to be able to dazzle audiences with their skills in battle.

So it is the perfect set up for Ash to go to this region. How they are going to be able to move away from not only Journeys, but also Alola, I don't know. Perhaps the series will be similar to that of Journeys where he goes to every region again. That is going to be a near impossible transition and keep audience happy.

That being said, I think Paldea is also a great place to bring May, Dawn and Serena back. I can see one of the biggest Pokemon Contests taking place in this region given that it is Spain and a lot of stuff there is great for performances and what not. And while it may just be hopeful thinking, the fact that Serena got a completely new design when other returning characters did not (unless copying their in game outfits) that tells me see is going to become a bigger character. In anime, they don't normally completely redesign characters unless they are going to be a main character, similar to Ash and Brock's outfit changes. Not to mention, Paldea is likely right next to Kalos and they could have a similar Performance thing that we had in Kalos, giving a reason for Serena at least to return. Not to mention she has become the most popular female character and she has had the smallest return appearance. (Aside from May who has yet to return in Journeys)

Something else that could happen is there being 3 main storylines going on at the same time. Ash being one of them and then two more going on. Similar to how the handled Alain, but at a much larger scale.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

At the risk of this comment aging horribly...well, no. Ash IS the Pokemon anime, so regardless of the outcome of the current arc, he's going to be in the next as its protagonist. We've been here before multiple times - he won the Orange Islands, the Battle Frontier, and the Alola League. Those were all perfectly acceptable stopping points, and even if winning this would make him a world champion, I can't see them getting rid of him even if he wins the whole thing. Scarlet and Violet are supposed to have three separate story arcs, so they could easily have Ash pursue the mystery third arc and have new travelling companions for the school part and the Gym challenge part. Or he could lose again and have to go back to school/take on another Gym challenge/whatever.

If Ash DOES get to the finals to face Leon - which the anime does seem to be building up to; Steven isn't in the same league as Cynthia, but that Ash could beat him at all is surprising - I would expect him to win, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was another Alain situation, where the writers have him lose just so he can continue on.

But in reality, he's not going anywhere, whether people like it or not.

Jiggykoopbob

Local Pokémon loving Goomba. (Flair theme: SM64DS)
    Years
  • I myself am also a bit confused why some Pokémon fans seem to dislike Goh. Is it maybe because he is trying to catch one of every pokémon or something?

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    What is it specifically about Goh that you dislike?

Everything pretty much. But if you want me to pin it down to something... it's because he just throws pokeballs until he catches shit. That's not how you catch pokemon at all. You battle them until they are weak enough to catch them. Period. End of story.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Everything pretty much. But if you want me to pin it down to something... it's because he just throws pokeballs until he catches shit. That's not how you catch pokemon at all. You battle them until they are weak enough to catch them. Period. End of story.

But that's how you catch them on Pokémon GO and the Pokémon Let's Go games. Also, his name just so happens to be Goh. Is he not a direct reference to the Pokémon GO series, or is his name is just coincidence?

pkmin3033

I think the issue with Goh is more the pace at which he catches Pokemon, rather than the method. Plenty of characters in the past have caught Pokemon just by throwing balls, or through making friends with them, etc. Goh just does this excessively with no character development much of the time. It doesn't make for very entertaining viewing and is pretty poor marketing if he's just a reference of the mobile title.

I'm indifferent to him personally, he's not the worst travelling companion Ash has had - lest we forget Max, Iris, or Bonnie - but he's not a particularly exciting one.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    But that's how you catch them on Pokémon GO and the Pokémon Let's Go games. Also, his name just so happens to be Goh. Is he not a direct reference to the Pokémon GO series, or is his name is just coincidence?

Tell me exactly where the rule that stated that shit has to be catered to? Because as far as I'm aware... there isn't one. It makes him even more shit as far as I'm concerned.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Tell me exactly where the rule that stated that shit has to be catered to? Because as far as I'm aware... there isn't one. It makes him even more shit as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, there doesn't have to be a "rule" exactly, but the Pokémon anime is based on the games. It makes sense for the creators of Pokémon to reference their games in certain ways. They make their own "rules" about what they want to do with their product. Pokémon GO and Pokémon Let's Go are all about catching Pokémon with little to no effort. Goh could be a reference to these games. If so, then it makes sense. That's why I was asking if he actually was a reference to those games or if his name is just pure coincidence.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I mean, there doesn't have to be a "rule" exactly, but the Pokémon anime is based on the games. It makes sense for the creators of Pokémon to reference their games in certain ways. They make their own "rules" about what they want to do with their product. Pokémon GO and Pokémon Let's Go are all about catching Pokémon with little to no effort. Goh could be a reference to these games. If so, then it makes sense. That's why I was asking if he actually was a reference to those games or if his name is just pure coincidence.

As far as I know (or maybe I should say as far as I'm concerned) GO and Let's Go aren't as popular as they used to be. Particularly GO but Let's Go is a dumpster fire as far as I'm concerned and burn in a fire for all I care.

So I don't see how that's an excuse to make Go the new MC

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • As far as I know (or maybe I should say as far as I'm concerned) GO and Let's Go aren't as popular as they used to be. Particularly GO but Let's Go is a dumpster fire as far as I'm concerned and burn in a fire for all I care.

So I don't see how that's an excuse to make Go the new MC

Sure, Pokémon GO might not be as popular as it was in 2016, but that doesn't mean that they can't reference Pokémon GO with a character in their anime. Pokémon Let's Go is a game that was great for the small children and the Pokémon anime targets the children. Personally, I wouldn't mind it if Goh was the main character of Pokémon. To be honest, I think he would be better than Ash was. Nothing is stopping the creators from making him actually battle the Pokémon he catches if he becomes the main character and considering that he's caught a lot of powerful Pokémon, he could be a better trainer than Ash too. The only thing Ash really has to his name is that he was on a losing streak in the Pokémon League in almost every region for the past 20 years, which is sad. In my opinion, a protagonist that disappointing should definitely be replaced.

Back