• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily-Chit Chat of 09'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    Oh yeah, Americans have accents. I can usually pick out an American from the sound of his/her voice. And I don't just mean the fact that they speak in Imperial and pronounce Z as "zee," XD. Though of course this is always easier the further south they are. I may not realize it in people from New England, but if I hear someone from Alabama or South Carolina, it's more obvious. XD

And that American accent is usually one of the hardest ones for me to figure out. I kid you not, most of the time I can understand what someone with a strong Chinese, Russian, or even French accent is saying. But if it's someone from the southern U.S., I often have to get them to repeat themselves. ;_;

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I'm a Filipino and I have an American accent, but that's because I've been living in Chicago for more than half of my life.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Just out of curiosity, whenever people from England are portrayed on tv shows or people are asked to do a British accent, why does everyone go for the standard "Queen's English" or cockney accents? It's always confused me XD

I'm from England but I do NOT speak with a remotely posh accent, or like the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins (Due to me being from the North which btw is FAR superior to the South haha).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Americans have, like, little to no accents whatsoever.
    Lolwut? Of course you do. Just not to yourself, it'd seem like that. =P

I live in Australia, but my accent is more on the Polish side (both parents are Polish). Weird thing is though my voice is weird with the accent - I don't really sound that Polish, nor Australian. One on my friend's mum thought I sounded like a cartoon character. XD
    Gone with the Wind is a loong movie. It's pretty good though, if you can stand watching a movie for three hours straight
    Unless its been usurped from that position by a more recent movie (might have but idk), its the longest movie ever. Or leastways was IIRC. Out of old movies 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' is better than it IMO.

Today I randomly saw Inkheart the movie, which is based on the book. It was ok, but I felt that the book was definately the superior - tends to be the case for me really, based on the movies I saw based on books.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Wait bob and bill your polish and in australia? Your not that kid I saw licking an electric fence are you? XD
    ...Um, what?

No, seriously; what? I really don't follow. >_< I never heard about anyone licking electric fences... and at any rate, I was born in Australia in the first place.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Well on youtube there is this vid of this polish/australian kid licking an electric fence and lol I just thought maybe it could be you. explains why only you would love XD and Colloseum

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Well on youtube there is this vid of this polish/australian kid licking an electric fence and lol I just thought maybe it could be you. explains why only you would love XD and Colloseum
    So naturally, you thought that I'd be that person just because I have the same nationality as some guy on youtube? =/ Even if its a joke its far from a good one, I'm afraid... don't let one thing about someone become norm for every other person you meet that's similar in some way then. As JD said on this page on someone's comment on accents:
    That's the stereotype of the English accent, lol.
    And stereotypes =/= actual thing by a long shot. Sadly though one does see such things all over the place on everything. Nothing major but at times it can irk on one...

And actually a decent number of people liked Colo/XD. =P You're just not looking hard enough. =P

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    yeah whatever lol. I used to play Colo until I got pissed at always going back to purify. And XD I just was in hate with it. Gah its so darn hard to get shadow lugia.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    That's the stereotype of the English accent, lol.

Lol fair enough, but there is more than one English British accent, and I dislike the cockney accent haha =P

There's the scouse accent, the geordie accent, the Yorkshire accent, the Plymouth (Farmer) accent, the brummy accent. All better than the Queen's English/Cockney ones imo XD

There may be a bit of Northern bias creeping into it though =P

Honest Eyes

If A Girl Wants To Dance...
    Years
    Lol @ Cooltrainer_Mike's signature.
    Cooltrainers were my favorite trainers in Pokemon Silver!
    So Cool!

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    XDD thanks!

It wasn't until after i'd chosen this username (which i'm not a massive fan of btw, i'll be changing it at the first available opportunity), that I realised there actually WAS a Cooltrainer called Mike in Pokémon GSC. Plus he trains in Clair's Gym, and Dragons are my fave type! Coincidences ftw!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What. "Cooltrainer" ... lol. Yeah, Pokémon is completely cool in society.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Cool to this community? Yes. DPP section just translates to "cool".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back