• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Elder Scrolls

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Which one is your favorite? Have you modded it?

Sorry if there is already a thread that isn't older than a month >.>

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2015
    I appreciate the games for what they are, but I've always had trouble really sinking my teeth into them. I guess I just lack the thrill of adventure. Perhaps I should try to get into modding to see if there is anything that I could do to make it more fun for myself.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I appreciate the games for what they are, but I've always had trouble really sinking my teeth into them. I guess I just lack the thrill of adventure. Perhaps I should try to get into modding to see if there is anything that I could do to make it more fun for myself.

Yeah some mods are really excellent with how they are made, I have a few which are twice as long as Skyrim's main story. Morrowind was good if you knew what you were doing and how to do it. I've played them all and Morrowind is easily my favorite because you can find yourself running for your life as a cliff racer tries to get you and give you every disease under the sun.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Played Morrowind and Oblivion, never got into Skyrim. Loved Morrowind and its huge world, but Oblivion felt like a step down. I heard Skyrim is mostly the same as it, so I guess I'm in for disappointment if I play it?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Played Morrowind and Oblivion, never got into Skyrim. Loved Morrowind and its huge world, but Oblivion felt like a step down. I heard Skyrim is mostly the same as it, so I guess I'm in for disappointment if I play it?

Skyrim is a step up from Oblivion but it isn't the same as morrowind. Skywind has version 0.9 so the next update I will see morrowind in skyrim. It didn't help when Bethesda dumbed down their RPG's for CoD Fanboys :/ but I guess sometimes you get delt the wrong cards.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Even if I haven't played skyrim, I don't think its being dumbed down for that crowd that creates the issue. I mean it sure as hell does create an issue, but using oblivion as a base probably is a bigger problem. Not saying morrowind was perfect, but its freedom was. Anyway, I wonder where they're gonna set the next game. I would love the Black Marches, or if not the Summerset Isles. Both could be pretty damn interesting to traverse.

Leuram

Fox says what I say it says
    Years
  • Skyrim was definitely a great game, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a step up, as the main plot isn't as enthralling as Oblivion's was and Shimmering Isles was so much better than Dawnguard. Haven't played through Dragonborn yet so can't comment too heavily on it, although so far I am liking it. The only negative comment I really have towards Skyrim, other than Dawnguard, is the fact that once you get your armor upgraded/enchanted, it's impossible to die on Master difficulty. And by impossible to die, I mean replace their arrows with toothpicks and experience equivalent damage.

All in all I spent over 200 hours in both games, so they are definitely tons of fun to play

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I never really got into Oblivion due to the way levelling and level scaling were handled, and some of the aesthetics (glass weapons; armour; everyone's faces, Orcs in particular). I would've liked Morrowind if I played it at the time, but now it's a bit too clunky and bad looking for what I'm used to; I always think a handheld console port of these old open-world games would be cool though. As for Arena and Daggerfall... I don't even know. Daggerfall seems kinda cool with all the skills it has and the huge map, but again with the dated graphics (and sound, in this case).

Skyrim is where my interest really took hold, despite my lament over removal of the old stats system (strength, intelligence, etc.) and spellmaking. Those were great things to abuse (see Veriax's abuse of Sujamma early in his Morrowind LP). My main thought prior to release was how much better the beast races and Orcs now look. After first playing, the one idea I warmed up to most was how Smithing upgrades can make iron and steel equipment entirely viable throughout the game. Looking all fantastic in brightly-coloured magical armour never sat well with me. Along with our shared opinions on what ores are worthy of digging up, I like the overall characterisation of the Nord people. Could be a lot better, but also a lot worse knowing Bethesda.

I find the combat system of Skyrim to be remeniscent of Dark Messiah's. Not quite as fluid and I miss that lovely disarming animation DM has, but I really enjoyed that game and wanted its combat to be in a something like TES... and then it pretty much happened! It would be nicer if humanoid enemies used their shields more effectively, but there are probably many AI mods that would rectify this. Stealth is a lot better than Oblivion's too, although the intelligence of NPCs in this regard is left wanting. Destruction magic is meh; without the ability to make one's own spells, one just can't get much damage out of it since there's no material upgrade path.

Mods, then. Nothing that majorly changes the game. I use the unofficial patches, SkyUI, A Matter of Time, and a blood texture mod to replace the blurry on-screen effect.

Well, that's enough from me. Hopefully being one day late to reply doesn't get this thread locked.

The only negative comment I really have towards Skyrim, other than Dawnguard, is the fact that once you get your armor upgraded/enchanted, it's impossible to die on Master difficulty. And by impossible to die, I mean replace their arrows with toothpicks and experience equivalent damage.
    Make your armour skill legendary when it reaches 100 and you'll die in 2–4 hits... actually probably 1, unless your character is like the one of mine I did that on with about 500HP buffed to over 700 by enchantments.

Last edited:

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
  • I only played Skyrim, I've had it for a year and only play it in bits and pieces, I love it so much though :) My character was based off my cat Daisy, who died about 3 months ago, so it's weird playing as her, like she got to live on or something. I got the dawnguard DLC recently and enjoyed playing that, also like watching Sips from the Yogscast play it, so he's kind of like my inspiration. I'm still a low level and can't do any of the enchanting or smithing or any of that complicated stuff, I like killing bad guys though :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yeah, was addicted to Oblivion back in the day and had some restraints when Skyrim came out. Haha my brother was addicted to it for some time but sold it for Black Ops and idk why. It was a stupid decision if you ask me. Mmm hard to choose, but I'd say Skyrim is better but I enjoyed Oblivion more. Both high caliber games.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • The only appealing thing about these games to me is the beautiful open world. I've tried all the Elder Scrolls games, but tired from them easily.

I had some fun playing Oblivion for a while, until I got stuck on a mission and then just fooled around in cities and broke the law just so I could hear it...

"STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!"

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Finished Skyrim for a freaking 2 months with all the DLC's in it. :3

Took me really some time to finish it's greatness clearly one of the best games our there. The map is just too huge it will take you hours maybe even days to explore everything. FUS RO DAH! I've maxed everything except for Illusion and Blocking lol.

I played Oblvion after I finished Skyrim but never really gotten into it so I lke only leveled up to 3 and quit playing it. :3

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
  • I love all these kinds of games. But I've never finished a single one. The issue isn't the game, it's myself.

I'll make a hero, do what I do for a while, then eventually an idea pops into my head. What if I did this, this or this?!

So I go back, create a new hero, completely forgetting about the last. Rinse and repeat. You would think the answer would be, just max everything so you can do everything right? Well I like to restrict myself to character roles and what have you so it's not just that easy for me. When I play a thief, I play a thief. Steal **** and try not to kill anyone (I'm not an assassin). If I play a warrior, I never touch magic, etc etc. You see where I'm going.

I love the games but I'm so bad at finishing them. XD

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • I only played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. I only really finished Oblivion, I haven't gotten around to actually finishing morrowind but I am still playing Skyrim.

In overall I just love the game, the content, characters, free-roamyness, and also the Mass Genocide after saving ;)

Back