• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Final Countdown...

Would you want to know?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
    Years

Would you want to know when you were going to die?

Sorry for such a dark subject.

I was thinking today, not sure why, but if you had the choice to know when you were going to die, would you want to know? Or would you walk away?
    Death is the only obstacle that we can't avoid, it is unknown what happens to us and it is highly unlikely we will ever know until we have to take that path.

Many people speculate as to what will greet us once our clock has run out. Religion states what they believe to be true, but not everyone i religious, so no one can be sure for certain. But going back to the question.

Would you want to know the exact day you would die or would you not?
    Regardless of your choice, Why?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Nope. From the moment it would enter into my mind, I can just imagine being consumed by it and thinking about my death date until it eventually happened. Sure, I might be spurred on to do more things, but I'd be doing them simply because I thought I was going to die soon(er or later) and... I dunno, maybe it'd feel slightly more hollow because of it? Maybe if I was significantly older, maybe with an illness, then I'd want to know so I could properly sort out my affairs, but other than that... not really.

Hypotheticals like this always give me a little bit of pause anyway. It's like what Kenneth on 30 Rock says: 'They're like lying to your brain'!

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Once I'm 80-something, sick, and too old and beat to even attempt substitute teaching, I'd consider it.

But honestly, it's not like I believe destiny is written anyways. I'd actually just take this kind of offer as total crap.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I wouldn't want to know, because I'd spend time trying to figure out a way to escape that fate and in turn, I'd end up missing out on the present.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    That would take out the surprise factor of death, so no. When I die, I want to die painlessly. If I die painfully, I don't know what I'd do.

Years
    I would want to know. Simply because i wouldn't hesitate to do the things i want to do or achieve before my death. And maybe i could prove Fate wrong and escape it and live another day. All i would do is live as much as i can before my death.

Also a girl who goes to a school near me had recently died in a car crash at the age of 15 God bless her.
    When you think about it if it comes as a surprise like that your death could be in vain of what you never got to do and you feel like you would regret not doing it.

blue

gucci
    Years
    No, because then you'd be just worrying untill the specified date, I'd rather just wait till it comes to me and live my life!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'm better off not knowing when I die because if I find out that I'll be dying in a few weeks or month's time, I'd panic like crazy.

Years
    No - being the person I am I know I'd panic about it and it would be all I'd think about until the actual day itself. This way, I can be happy-go-lucky and whatever will be, will be.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Absolutely yes. It would motivate me to do the things I've been putting off for so long and to enjoy the time I have left.

Years
    No way. I know I'd just spend the rest of my days depressed, knowing that my death was ever so close. :( I'd rather just take life day-by-day and not add another worry to my list, even if it means I can't do everything I wanted to do in life.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    No way. On the off-chance it was any time before I'm, say, 70, I'd be so paranoid. And even if it was in my old-age, by the time I started getting closer to it I imagine depression would come on pretty harshly. That and I hate suspense so I'd probably be so, so sick with worry in the days leading up to it (and especially the day of) that it would just suck. So no thanks.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I'm a health hypochondriac as it is, I can't imagine how much I'd flip out if I had to know exactly when I was going to die. However I also imagine it being difficult to walk away from someone offering that information.

176StantonStreet

Little Mons†er
    Years
    I honestly don't know.
    I would like to say no, but on the other hand I do want to know.
    But then I think.. Why would I want to go my whole life counting down to the day I die. But why wouldn't I want to know, and not manage my time to the best of my advantage and end up not living life for what it's worth because I don't know when I will decease.

All in all, I can't answer.

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
    I would have to say no. I got really sick and thought there was a chance I'd die. It consumed me for years until I got my illness under control.

Thinking/Knowing you are going to die is scary and it drives people away from you because they feel like they need to protect themselves. If I knew, I'd end up dying alone in my home, having done nothing useful before my clock ran out.

Back