• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The funny and unrealistic aspects of Pokemon - Discuss!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I always wondered how, in the games, the machines in Poke'mon Centers heal Poke'mon. I mean, the Balls glow for a second and everything's fine?
    Where do Machoke and Machamp get their belts and shorts? If they would be superpowerful without their belts, why has no evil team tried removing them?

That is considering that they are pants in the first place. I would like to see a single source claiming that they are speedos or even underwear in any way.
    Some scum-eaters on the seafloor look like coral, but you wouldn't say that it is coral, now would you?

I'd love to see a real animal in Pokemon... it'd be hilarous. Like, 'oh, that's a- what kind of Pokemon is that?'
    Lol.

In the first season, you can see a Pidgeotto eating a worm, not a caterpie, weedle, or wurmple, but a real worm.

And I have a question, which does indeed add realism to pokemon, which sounds like a stupid move to most people.

Are all pokemon of the same species?
    As we all know, different species being able to reproduce is near impossible( a mule gave birth to anyone asking "near impossible?!") to just plain impossible, especially if the species are very far apart. A skitty can breed with a wailord. And even though whales are mammalian, why do they have eggs? And where are their nipples? We all know that every single mammalian has nipples and has to give birth instead of laying eggs.

How TMs work. FRLG gives an image though. From that, it shows that you stick the disk (TM) on the pokemon's head, then fire a laster out of the case? wut?

Furhtermore, how does one fly from city to city on the back of a Pidgey?

And the question everyone's been dyin to ask...
    Spoiler:
    Diglett is suspected to have claws or something similar of the sort under it.
    TM's apparently catch the essence of the move, but only certain moves have an essence in which you can put into a machine.
    And just because pidgey is small, doesn't mean that it isn't strong.
    It is implied that it is very weak, but a better question is why Gyarados can't learn fly, or why doduo/dodrio can learn fly. Although their name is translated to "super jump" according to bulbapedia, wouldn't that shatter their legs? They look like they have twigs.

Last edited:

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    How does one attain the status of "Elite Four"?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Luck sorta did my job right there, so thanks for saving time.

I'll leave ya with this:
    The funny and unrealistic aspects of Pokemon - Discuss!

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    The fact that there are 4 elite fours hahaha. Might as well cut the Cr@polla and call them the elite 16.

That the C02/oxygen levels in Sinnoh are even hospitable to human beings/pokemon given Probopass's giant nostrils probabaly stealing all the air:p

That you can battle with water pokemon when not near any body of water. (there are so many more type contradictions)

That A goat created the pokieverse...

There are many, MANY more lol.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    That land pokemon can battle on the ocean in the games =/

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    That you can battle with water pokemon when not near any body of water. (there are so many more type contradictions)
    Water Pokemon are elemental. They don't need a water source nearby to produce water... And if you're wondering how they get around when they can't swim. That's kinda obvious: they lubricate the ground and slide, or use their water-production to surf on the ground. Pretty simple. (I imagine that in-universe handicaps would also be granted for the benefit of Pokemon at a disadvantage)

That land pokemon can battle on the ocean in the games =/
    They can't. Pokemon is a video game. Meaning many things are implied, but not shown because they would eat up space and gameplay time. Case in point: when a Swimmer challenges you, you go to the nearest land area and battle there... Would you really want to have a "follow me" action for every Swimmer that took you back to Fuschia? (It could also be assumed that sea routes have artificial oil rig-like platforms that are used for battling purposes)

Last edited:

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    How Ponytas can live in the Pokemon Mansion. How do herds of horses live in a mansion!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    How Ponytas can live in the Pokemon Mansion. How do herds of horses live in a mansion!
    Two possibilities:

1.) Since Pokemon is a video game, Cinnabar Island can assumed to be much larger than what is shown... This allows for the possibility that Cinnabar, as a volcano, would have plush fertile fields of volcanic soil that Ponyta and Rapidash freely graze over. After the Mansion's destruction and abandonment, the Ponyta are just exploring and intruding.

2.) The Ponyta were test subjects of the Mansion scientists that were left behind and escaped from their pens. (Note that this possibility also allows for the first rationale)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

It's a big mansion, and the door is wide open, just like almost every other door in pokemon.
    But the bigger question is how there is an infinite number of Starly and Bidoof on the routes. We all know that if we are using real time, it would take much more time to make bidoof breed and have eggs than to just catch them.

I have a question though; how can pokemon use dive on the ground and dig on the water?
    The most logical conclusion I can come up with is that they change "types" and suddenly they become the reverse.
    I was also going to ask how you can surf on a fainted pokemon, but I guess you can just ride on their floating corpse back to shore since swimming is just so impossible in the games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016

I was also going to ask how you can surf on a fainted pokemon, but I guess you can just ride on their floating corpse back to shore since swimming is just so impossible in the games.
    Popular theory is that Pokemon HP is actually a shield that you're wearing down. (Note HP is "Hit Points", not "Health Points")

Thus when they "faint", they're shield is just gone and it's illegal to battle them. But you can still use their HM moves.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Water Pokemon are elemental. They don't need a water source nearby to produce water... And if you're wondering how they get around when they can't swim. That's kinda obvious: they lubricate the ground and slide, or use their water-production to surf on the ground. Pretty simple. (I imagine that in-universe handicaps would also be granted for the benefit of Pokemon at a disadvantage)

Lol yes... Because that was so obvious and made perfect sense by your personal interpretations/deductions. Okay so If I send out a Finneon in a completly rock cave, does it lubricate the ground and flop around? #1 Gross. #2. That makes about 0% sense. Have you ever seen a fish out on land in *the real world*? They usually don't lubricate the ground and efficiently slide around... Never mind even BREATHE CORRECTLY.

If your going to reprimand everyones assertions on this thread, at least make sure you have some legitimate "rebuking material".

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Lol yes... Because that was so obvious and made perfect sense by your personal interpretations/deductions. Okay so If I send out a Finneon in a completly rock cave, does it lubricate the ground and flop around? #1 Gross. #2. That makes about 0% sense. Have you ever seen a fish out on land in *the real world*? They usually don't lubricate the ground and efficiently slide around... Never mind even BREATHE CORRECTLY.

If your going to reprimand everyones assertions on this thread, at least make sure you have some legitimate "rebuking material".
    Pokemon is a video game. It's not the "real world"...

I based that assumption on common sense and the anime. Ice Pokemon have surfed ice before, so why not Water Pokemon surf water? Makes sense. Plus, Water Pokemon have been shown to breathe on land. Even the most fish-like can breathe on land.

Plus I never said my explanations were exact truth... They're just the simplest explanation that could possibly work.

cookie_lovr

Deh Clumsy Altruistic Activist
    Years
    Pokemon is a video game. It's not the "real world"...

I based that assumption on common sense and the anime. Ice Pokemon have surfed ice before, so why not Water Pokemon surf water? Makes sense. Plus, Water Pokemon have been shown to breathe on land. Even the most fish-like can breathe on land.

Plus I never said my explanations were exact truth... They're just the simplest explanation that could possibly work.

If you are going to ruin and contradict this thread, just make your own and call it "The not funny and realistic aspects of Pokemon - Discuss!"

Edit: Please solve only the Qs!

1. How come there are no doors on sides of buildings? Only South of them!
    2. People do not use the Restroom/take a Shower (don't say Nintendo doesn't want to implement this time consuming idea, or you do it when your game is off)?
    3. Why does the mom stay watching TV all day long (don't say she moves when you leave the house, I left my game in the house for 24hrs and she did not budge one bit)?
    4. Why does it say in the Pokedex, the animal names? Ex. Tiny Bird Pokemon. There are no such things are birds... (don't say it is to compare it in real life, since Oak gets research from this. nor don't say that they have real animals, since I assure you in Pokemon, they don't. When people say Pokemon, they mean ALL animals in the Poke word).
    Don't contradict me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    If you are going to ruin and contradict this thread, just make your own and call it "The not funny and realistic aspects of Pokemon - Discuss!"
    How am I "ruining" and "contradicting" it? I'm just trying to explain things for the fun of it, just like people are offering supposed nonsensical things for the fun of it... And I'm not even the only one. Besides, there's already been two threads like this that are still on-going.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Answer my questions please?

Edit: Please solve only the Qs!

2. People do not use the Restroom/take a Shower (don't say Nintendo doesn't want to implement this time consuming idea, or you do it when your game is off)?
    3. Why does the mom stay watching TV all day long (don't say she moves when you leave the house, I left my game in the house for 24hrs and she did not budge one bit)?
    4. Why does it say in the Pokedex, the animal names? Ex. Tiny Bird Pokemon. There are no such things are birds... (don't say it is to compare it in real life, since Oak gets research from this. nor don't say that they have real animals, since I assure you in Pokemon, they don't. When people say Pokemon, they mean ALL animals in the Poke word).
    Don't contradict me.
    1.) Some peoples are bound by religion or culture to have things in a certain direction... For example, Muslims aren't allowed to dishonor the Kaaba by doing certain activities when facing the opposite direction. Other cultures are mandated to build buildings facing a certain direction, while others simply do it through habit or superstition. It's feasible the Japanese-expy peoples follow a similar belief as any one of these.

Alternately, a simple explanation could be programming... Simply wasn't within the capabilities of RGBY to put a door on the side, or it couldn't be expressed graphically in an obvious way, so it simply wasn't done. Either this continues to be the case, or it is simply done in further games out of tradition.

2.) Pokemon games are about Pokemon, not people. They want you to focus on the Pokemon-related activities, and that is the franchise's strength. Pokemon is a simple RPG, not The Sims.

3.) She does things when you're not looking. (But really, she's an NPC with little purpose. Developers didn't want to and had no need to make her do anything specific, which isn't a problem since no other NPC is doing anything either)

4.) There are animals in the anime, and it can be inferred that there are as well in the games... Many of the 'Dex entries, outside of the species' names, mention non-Pokemon creatures. We just don't see these animals because, once again, Pokemon is about Pokemon... Not people or animals.

Another interpretation could be that "bird" and other species indications are just classifications and don't refer to specific animals. (Note that Spearow is "Tiny Bird", not "Tiny Eagle") Lions and tigers and panthers and so on are all cats, in the same way Meowth, Persian, Glameow, and Purrugly are all "cats".

I hope those explanations satisify you.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    A: Because it's unneccary. If you view a door side ways, it would look like the wall itself, with some lines to differentiate it from the rest.
    A: Isn't it obvious? It'll be a shame and not to mention funny. >.>
    A: What else should she do if you aren't at home? Besides, as I have said, does are unneccessary. We are talking about the first person.
    A: Pokemon world maybe another part of the real world if that is to say. Prof Oak might have some secrets he wouldn't tell.

Why would they make something like Lickylicky? Or any disgusting looking pokemon when children(I'm not including teens) don't like to look at it?

1.) Some peoples are bound by religion or culture to have things in a certain direction... For example, Muslims aren't allowed to dishonor the Kaaba by doing certain activities when facing the opposite direction. Other cultures are mandated to build buildings facing a certain direction, while others simply do it through habit or superstition. It's feasible the Japanese-expy peoples follow a similar belief as any one of these.

Alternately, a simple explanation could be programming... Simply wasn't within the capabilities of RGBY to put a door on the side, or it couldn't be expressed graphically in an obvious way, so it simply wasn't done. Either this continues to be the case, or it is simply done in further games out of tradition.

Most of the staff of Nintendo are not Muslims(or none at all). The general audience would be non-Muslims. And the only true reason of that question is the second paragraph.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Most of the staff of Nintendo are not Muslims(or none at all). The general audience would be non-Muslims. And the only true reason of that question is the second paragraph.
    First of all, Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon... Game Freak does. Secondly, it was an example. I also mentioned other cultural beliefs. Japan is the "Land of the Rising Sun", after all... You'd think it likely they'd have similar habits to every other culture in the world.

And it's giving an in-universe explanation. Both could be equally applicable.

Back