• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Generation 5 / Future Generations Speculation Thread + Wishlist

What do u think the starters element will be in gen V

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    what if you miss a specific pokemon for a season? would you have to wait a long time?

Well, if I made the games...

a) I'd have the seasons change every month rather than every three months.
    b) I'd make some season-exclusives available through other means (eg. in-game trades, game corner)

Then there's always the wi-fi, of course.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Well, if I made the games...

a) I'd have the seasons change every month rather than every three months.
    b) I'd make some season-exclusives available through other means (eg. in-game trades, game corner)

Then there's always the wi-fi, of course.

yeah that's what i wanted to say.... make season change every 2 weeks or like Charmageddon said every month

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
  • Hm, interesting thread. I'm a rather old pokemon player, you can see my age being 21, and Platinum (which I've not yet completed) is my first game since Crystal.

There's been some mentioning of changing stuff up, not just the typical get pokemon from prof, battle gym leaders, elite four, etc. While I do agree with this and I've only played uh, 5 games, (Blue, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Plat), it does seem "kinda old". Thing is, it's somewhat of a winning formula, people keep buying the games, oldies like me can come back and jump right into the old feel of it, etc. Sometimes it's not good to mess with a good thing, ya know? But I do agree that it could be changed up a bit.

Removing HMs, I totally agree with. If you're going to try to restrict us to avoiding certain places find better ways. I don't want to carry an HM slave or have to put a move I don't want on my pokemon. Maybe just remove the annoying "there's an item behind x building early game, but you need the ability to y outside of battle to access it when you half way through the game." Just put the item later. Either add some sort of "HM slot", or just due it more based on typing/pokemon. Why does my Scyther need an ability in order to cut down trees when it has two giant cutting scythes? Why does my Lapras need a move in order to carry me on it's back when it was pretty much entirely designed to do so?

There's a lot of talk about whether or not to be a co-ordinator/trainer/breeder, and while I don't really know what a co-ordinator is (I think contests? haven't looked much into those and haven't watch the anime in years), some sort of open-ended stuff could be possible, or just varying storylines. Playing the same game with a different team isn't exactly highly motivating replay value. Some variety between Male/Female at least, if not for replay (playing as the opposite sex loses a bit of the immersiveness of an RPG), but for believablity. When Dawn loses her Pokedex and comes running for help, that's believable. When Lucas does it, less so. (Now that might seem sexist/stereotypical, but I mean no offense.) That can just be an example in general, their sex aside, they're two different people and as such should act differently.

The weather factor has been interesting if rather secluded, needs more varying weather patterns, not just on a few routes. Weather, drought, seasons, this is 2009, it's far from impossible and weather can be unpredicable, even on the DS, I'm fairly sure. Create a more dynamic world, add a desert, add a volcano (I can't remember if you could actually enter the one in the earlier games, it's been a while), add stuff besides grass and caves, basically. It doesn't even need to be complicated, I'm not asking for puddles that show up during rain and slowly vanish as the sun is out. Snow, all sorts of things, make it a week or two per season.

I really loved the ability to go back to Kanto in the Johto games and would enjoy the ability to continue battling. The gym system is fairly flawed though. They're supposed to be the best of the best, but when you're a novice trainer with a weak bulbasaur trashing the "best rock-type trainer" it gets a bit unreal. Also like mentioned, NPCs sometimes talk about stuff like having a balanced team (I think?), while the "best" tend to have just a single type, I think the gyms can keep a theme, but they can mix up the teams a bit. Maybe give them more pokemon (or restrict your pokemon to match theirs, like 3 vs 3, like I think was done in the anime.) Theme doesn't need to be a type either, can be more of them like Koga and his ninja theme.

Smarten up the NPCs. Don't give every single Team X member the same 5 pokemon, saying they're from the "HQ" and that they're borrowed isn't an excuse for being lazy. I know it can be hard to give 2839013 NPCs a different team, but if you're going to make 283023 pokemon,I think you're up the challenge. Have them have decent movesets as well, I hate seeing them use a weak move on me for a small amount of damage even when the levels are mostly equal. And just make them smarter in general.

Stop making new pokemon that basically fill the same role as a counterpart in a previous generation. While I know that say, Pidgeot and Stararaptor are quite different, in the early game, they might as well be the same pokemon. They're a "weak" flyer that you find at the beginning of the game. I was rather disappointed with the 3rd gen in terms of looks way back then it first came out and it somewhat turned me off of the series (though I was also in the "pokemon are kiddy" type phase mostly brought about by peer-pressure, but I digress) though I don't critise so harshly now that I'm used to them. Mix up the typing, someone mentioned unused combinations. This goes along with mixing up the entire game too, I think. (I think that the current amount of pokemon is getting a bit bloated, but there's no way to reduce it without a good deal of people complaining.)

I like the fact that the different types of pokeballs show up when you're catching and sending out your pokemon and I also like the seals. But there needs to be more with the graphical stuff. No, I'm not talking about full 3D, I'm not too hot on that, I'm quite happy with the current look of the game, personally. But, mentioned many times, certain pokemon being able to come out of their pokeball and walk with you. Split pokemon up into size types, and alow the small and medium ones to walk outside sometimes. Also base this on pokemon type obviously, something like Lapras couldn't walk outside of it's pokeball on land, though it's also a bit large too. Immobile ones like Kakuna would also be disallowed. Also base this on weather, probably not healthy for a fire type to be outside while it's raining. While a grass/water type would love it. Also change the look of the pokemon that you're surfing on. That blob in Plat is unattractive as can be.

Also, something personalwith your own pokeballs, from say, having a selection of colours at the pokemart, to having the ability to customise them even after you've caught someone. Ultra Ball default is fine for a while, but you might want to have it gold with silver thunder bolts or something. (When I first saw the Seals, I thought this was what it was, but then I read more into it and found out that I was wrong.)

Additions like psuedo-cut scenes would work. The little screen before gym/TG battles are a set in the right direction. Also make battling locations a bit more realistic. A small platform at the back of the gym isn't a good battleground.

General graphic interface changes would be okay too, colours, styles, etc. I think that player avatars could be selectable to some extent.

There's a lot more I could write, but a) this post is already long and b) they're getting into stuff that'd be more focused on older players, while the game is mostly suited for younger players. (It's arguably more difficult for a younger player to play in a more mature game than it is for an older player to get into a lighter mode game.

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Good post Valeran, I agree with pretty much everything.

What does everyone think to different levels of difficulty? So the "Normal" level would be easy enough for all the kiddies to play, but the "Expert" level would be enough to challenge us older players.

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
  • What does everyone think to different levels of difficulty? So the "Normal" level would be easy enough for all the kiddies to play, but the "Expert" level would be enough to challenge us older players.

I do agree with this. One thing I certainly like more about Plat than the first two gens is the seemingly highly difficulty. (Though it might just be my memory playing tricks.) But if something like this were to be added, I'd hope it would be more than just increasing the enemy levels, and actually just having more intelligent AI.

killin_kobra

Pokemon Ruler
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2009
    More intelligent AI would help. And more difficulty. Also mix up the gyms, so the first one ISNT rock. That way people will choose the fire starters more often (unless it was water)

ピクシー

c l ef a b l e -
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2009
    Hmmm, personally I think that some of the new fourth gen Pokémon are just over the top and are starting to look like something out of Digimon rather than Pokémon (No offence to anyone who likes them). So I think that it would be nice if they could just make simple Pokemon again, if they haven't run out of ideas that is.

A 5th gen might be nice but I feel that it would be ocer running the Pokemon seies, if you know what I mean. There is already 493 Pokemon do we really need another 150? No doubt there will soon be near a 1000 Pokemon. Personally I can't name more than the first 251 off the top of my head. While I understand they need to keep making money from the franchise I think adding too many new monsters would just kill it, they could make more money from a G/S/C remake I feel.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Maybe in 5th Gen Pokemon, have a few more additions.

- More Gyms. Instead of having eight gyms, maybe have twelve gyms, and by facing certain gyms, the storyline changes (kinda like in yellow, how you battled your rival depended on what his eevee evolved into). So if you battle the first 2 gyms normally, then choose the third gym you face, the plot changes.

- Grand Festival (optional). Make the Grand Festival either optional or compulsory in the storyline, or make it so you can choose to be a trainer, or coordinator, but only with five ribbons, although there would be more plot and rare chances to go and catch rare contest pokemon.

- More Complex AI. I saw this on a higher up post. Sure it's alright on weaker people (Youngsters, Picknickers etc.) but when it comes to tougher trainers, use a better AI. This is for people such as Ace Trainers, Fighters/Black Belts, and Experts/Veterans especially. Also make it so AI have different battle styles, like Ace Trainers force you to switch and actually try to win, or Black Belts just use brute force.

- Recurring Characters/Pokemon. I think this would be goof in plot lines, or people who just annoy you. Instead of always seeing your rival out and about, maybe see other people, like Scott in Emerald or a TV reporter that interviews you when you manage to do something special, or make a recurring pokemon, like the Jigglypuff from the anime.

- New Status aliments/sicknesses. I think it would be nice if your pokemon could get sick from the environment they're in and that they don't perform as well as they should, like if you were walking through the snow, and use a pokemon too excessively, the pokemon would get the flu and wouldn't work as well.

With the status aliments, I've had this idea of having a "Drowning" aliment for a while, like if you use Surf, or a similar move, the target/s have a 20% chance of drowning and lose more and more health and after a set number of turns, the pokemon faints.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • Hmmm, personally I think that some of the new fourth gen Pokémon are just over the top and are starting to look like something out of Digimon rather than Pokémon (No offence to anyone who likes them). So I think that it would be nice if they could just make simple Pokemon again, if they haven't run out of ideas that is.

A 5th gen might be nice but I feel that it would be ocer running the Pokemon seies, if you know what I mean. There is already 493 Pokemon do we really need another 150? No doubt there will soon be near a 1000 Pokemon. Personally I can't name more than the first 251 off the top of my head. While I understand they need to keep making money from the franchise I think adding too many new monsters would just kill it, they could make more money from a G/S/C remake I feel.

i agree to the MAX
    i'd love to see a g/s/c remake for the ds

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Maybe in 5th Gen Pokemon, have a few more additions.

- More Gyms. Instead of having eight gyms, maybe have twelve gyms, and by facing certain gyms, the storyline changes (kinda like in yellow, how you battled your rival depended on what his eevee evolved into). So if you battle the first 2 gyms normally, then choose the third gym you face, the plot changes.

- Grand Festival (optional). Make the Grand Festival either optional or compulsory in the storyline, or make it so you can choose to be a trainer, or coordinator, but only with five ribbons, although there would be more plot and rare chances to go and catch rare contest pokemon.

- More Complex AI. I saw this on a higher up post. Sure it's alright on weaker people (Youngsters, Picknickers etc.) but when it comes to tougher trainers, use a better AI. This is for people such as Ace Trainers, Fighters/Black Belts, and Experts/Veterans especially. Also make it so AI have different battle styles, like Ace Trainers force you to switch and actually try to win, or Black Belts just use brute force.

- Recurring Characters/Pokemon. I think this would be goof in plot lines, or people who just annoy you. Instead of always seeing your rival out and about, maybe see other people, like Scott in Emerald or a TV reporter that interviews you when you manage to do something special, or make a recurring pokemon, like the Jigglypuff from the anime.

- New Status aliments/sicknesses. I think it would be nice if your pokemon could get sick from the environment they're in and that they don't perform as well as they should, like if you were walking through the snow, and use a pokemon too excessively, the pokemon would get the flu and wouldn't work as well.

With the status aliments, I've had this idea of having a "Drowning" aliment for a while, like if you use Surf, or a similar move, the target/s have a 20% chance of drowning and lose more and more health and after a set number of turns, the pokemon faints.

-More Gyms: Why would the Pokémon world need more gyms? I don't see this happening as it doesn't relate to the anime, manga, or any other previous games. However, I really like the plot twists/changes. It could really benefit and add fun to the game.

-Grand Festival: I agree to this to a certain point. Maybe they could make the Grand Festival like the Pokémon League. It could be the grand place where coordinators bring it all out.

-More Complex AI: Yes.

-Recurring Characters: I find this cool. Jigglypuff?

-New Status Aliments/Sicknesses Nah, the game already has such things has burn/freezing/poison.

Target? You mean the Pokémon who is usin' Surf? Why would a Water Pokémon drown? Or, even have the possibility to drown?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    only thing i can think of right now is

GET RID OF THE HMs!!!!!!!!!

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • -More Gyms: Why would the Pokémon world need more gyms? I don't see this happening as it doesn't relate to the anime, manga, or any other previous games. However, I really like the plot twists/changes. It could really benefit and add fun to the game.

-Grand Festival: I agree to this to a certain point. Maybe they could make the Grand Festival like the Pokémon League. It could be the grand place where coordinators bring it all out.

-More Complex AI: Yes.

-Recurring Characters: I find this cool. Jigglypuff?

-New Status Aliments/Sicknesses Nah, the game already has such things has burn/freezing/poison.

Target? You mean the Pokémon who is usin' Surf? Why would a Water Pokémon drown? Or, even have the possibility to drown?

Maybe I said the More Gyms part wrong. What I meant was more plot twists, depending on what actions you make in the game.

Also, with the Surf thing. I meant that if a pokemon is hit by Surf, it has a 20% chance of drowning. This has no effect on water types, like how you can't posion poison types.

BeatTheSpecialStage

is gay for Ritchie
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2009
    Longer Gameplay: If you sit down and play most Pokemon games non stop it shouldn't even take 24 hours to beat the Elite Four. They need to find some way to expand the main story, because I don't find the epilogue stories nearly as interesting as the main one unless it takes place in a new land with more than four towns.

More Pokemon Diversity: Platinum improves on this by bringing in alot more 2nd and 1st gen pokemon allowing for more interesting team lineups, but there is still alot more they can do.

Scatter the Contests!: Scatter the Pokemon Contests around the region again, and make a Grand Festival that can only be participated in once you've obtained the master rank ribbon in all the other contest halls.

More Cameos: The fourth gen does good with this, but more would be interesting.

Lower Levels: I'm no wuss or anything, but unless you grind alot you're gonna be underleveled by the time you face the Elite Four Champion.

A REAL Pokemon League: Turn the Pokemon League into an actual tournament where you have to face like a hundred AI opponents tournament style (prelims, semi finals, ect.) and then face your rival in the finals.

No more E4: Well, I do think their should be an Elite Four, but not mandatory to fight. They should be in different parts of the region, open to battle whenever you'd like for major EXP.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Maybe I said the More Gyms part wrong. What I meant was more plot twists, depending on what actions you make in the game.

Also, with the Surf thing. I meant that if a pokemon is hit by Surf, it has a 20% chance of drowning. This has no effect on water types, like how you can't posion poison types.
    I agree with the plot-twists. Please explain about this drowning condition...

More Pokemon Diversity: Platinum improves on this by bringing in alot more 2nd and 1st gen pokemon allowing for more interesting team lineups, but there is still alot more they can do.

Lower Levels: I'm no wuss or anything, but unless you grind alot you're gonna be underleveled by the time you face the Elite Four Champion.
    I don't think that havin' all the previous Pokémons from Gen. I, II, III in one region is okay. I mean, where's the hard work at completing one's pokedex?

Lower levels mean lesser experience.

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
  • -More Gyms: Why would the Pokémon world need more gyms? I don't see this happening as it doesn't relate to the anime, manga, or any other previous games.

Gary had 10 Kanto badges in the Anime, I believe the majority of them did not belong to the 8 known gyms.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2009
    Pokemon Blood Stone an entire new generation of pokemon gaming. and rpg i'm working on PM for information on the game

joehat

Yay
    Years
  • Hm, interesting thread. I'm a rather old pokemon player, you can see my age being 21, and Platinum (which I've not yet completed) is my first game since Crystal.

There's a lot more I could write, but a) this post is already long and b) they're getting into stuff that'd be more focused on older players, while the game is mostly suited for younger players. (It's arguably more difficult for a younger player to play in a more mature game than it is for an older player to get into a lighter mode game.

(I cut down the quote to save room) Man, I cannot say how much I agree with your post. You've hit the nail on the head, at least for me, friend.

It's tough for someone like me to say what "I" want changed in the Pokemon games. I'm probably older than most players, and it's not like Nintendo or Game Freak or whoever really cares about what I or you want anyway.

Well then...what's left for me to say?

There are so many great ideas in this thread. A truly great Pokemon game could be formed if they were to come true. I suppose I'll just continue dreaming, eh?

For now, all we can do is wait and wish for Generation 5 (and I don't mean a GSC remake, I mean the next region. Although I wouldn't mind a GSC remake haha).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back