• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Glass Castle

Years
    I think I will be the maid. It's hard work and long hours, but there's at least one day of the week where I can do as I wish, presumably leave the castle, see my loved ones and try to have some fun in life. I get paid okay. As grim as it may be, it's not far from the average working person's life, minus the dark void part. However, being able to retire after 5 years will make it not so bad, and at least I will have beautiful surroundings, if it's a magic castle made of glass. Who knows, maybe there are some enchanted objects I can talk to, like the Beast's castle in Beauty and the Beast? I will just make sure I show up every day that I am supposed to, and put in all my hours, so I don't get thrown into the void. At least they told me consequences.

I can't open the left door. Life is short enough as it is, and to sacrifice 25 years of it is akin to the length of a life prison sentence with parole. These are considered vital years of my life too, that I should not waste anymore of. I would be middle-aged in 25 years, and wouldn't be able to do some things that I can now after all that time. Also after all that time I would have lost loved ones. My parents are already seniors with health issues, so they are unlikely to still be alive. Other family members I have like aunts and uncles would also probably be gone. My pets definitely would not be here anymore. Some of my friends might even have passed away, especially if you take into account things like accidents and an unexpected illness, and I would have also missed important life events like graduations, weddings, the birth of kids, that I could have shared with them.

Something else that troubles me is that the planet might not even be habitable when I leave the castle? Things don't look good for the environment, judging by the forecast UN scientists have made for the next decade, regarding the climate crisis. Things to also consider include the possibility of nuclear warfare eradicating all life, as we enter a new cold war. Or maybe another pandemic that's worse than what we have seen the last two years with Covid. What if it was something more like Stephen King's The Stand? What good is money in a post-apocalyptic word? I'm not going bank on waiting two more decades to live my life.

The right door would be far worse. I like the idea of winning the key to an alternate universe, the problem is that the last media I consumed was I think the 27th chapter of the book A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Had I read something cheerier I might have chosen this door, but being able to travel to The Republic of Gilead is not a prize that anyone would want to win, unless you are a sadomasochist, or the most crazy of fanatics, even the characters in the story are trying to escape out of the country to get away from this place. It's a dystopia that executes people as traitors for being a different religion, lgbtq, or terminating a pregnancy, and their mutilated bodies are on public display to terrorize the rest of the population. It's suggested that there is a holocaust happening as well. The state rounds up people of color, who are called Children of Ham, and sends everyone to what sounds like concentration camps in the Midwest.

Women who are white, straight and cis can be somebody's wife, or a slave of some kind, these women are forbidden to read, can't have jobs or property or leave the house without a pass. You can be a Martha, the domestic slaves that do all the household chores until they drop, or run re-education camps as an Aunt. These groomers psychologically and physically abuse women, indoctrinating them to be Handmaids (concubines) for high-ranking men, another type of servitude. Any children a Handmaid bears she does for the state. They are not hers by law, they are given to the wives of commanders--just surrogate mothers because radiation has rendered many people infertile. If you give birth to a child, and it's not deformed--which is a high risk, then you are passed around to other officials to have more babies. If you fail, then you are put to labor in the colonies, a futuristic gulag, or you are human trafficked as a Jezebel. So the right door must not be opened under any circumstances.

The middle door is an interesting option. I think for me it would probably be the most bearable of the three doors. I wouldn't typically be interested in being immortal because of some of the issues that I have with the left door, you are alive, but the people you know and love will die, the Highlander scenario. I also think it might get boring to never die, the thing that makes life precious is that it isn't forever, then there's the dilemma that vampires have, having to adjust to radically different ages than the one you were supposed to live in, as time goes by. However, the middle door allows you to be immortal without any of those impediments, because it's in a time loop. The downside though is that you don't progress, because things always keep resetting back to 2011, no matter what, it's could feel like you're stuck in limbo. This could be a good option maybe if you experienced great happiness during this period of time, and want to stay in that moment forever. Since this time period was kinda boring for me, I'm going to stick being the caretaker of the castle, unless you can choose to do things differently each time in the time loop, since i retain my memories, and turn back time, but each time experience alternate realities of what 2011-2021 might be. Then I might try this option, assuming not, it's the housekeeping position for me

Back