• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Old Days? Or The 'Orrible Original Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Wow...

And for those who said that those who bash the old season haven't watched it in a while, I recently watched a review series of season 1 called WTF Pokemon which made me see how bad the season was. A link to the review collection (hopefully it isn't against any rules)
    sure they complain about some dumb anime=/= game stuff and some "it's an anime, they can do that", but some of the stuff is flat out true

=O Somebody actually watches WTFP....All PM anime Fans should watch that video review....I love it...started watching it from ep. 6 really after seeing the link from Dogasu....I can see what they're talking about and LAUGH IT OFF...It's funny it's what it is supposed to be A PARODY. Not something to start flame wars with....I have to admit sometimes they're just being nitpicky and at first they just tried to critizise 4Kids but as it turned out the Japanese writers aren't off the hook on "logic errors, plot holes, mistakes and poor writing...."
    "It's times like these that we want to say..(PM Theme plays).WTF...WTF...POKEMON!"
    Yes the first season was full of epicness 'specially Ep.18,35, and 38
    "Ep.18: #1= THE FUNNIEST THING EVAR!!!!"

These guys are real Pokemon fans...I mean they translated "Ierukana?" in English! I mean who has the time to translate all the Japanese Pokemon names to English and sing it good!

I have nothing against the anime except the conformity of it to the target audience...I still love the Movies (especially the music) and I have most OP and ED themes (Both Eng. and Jap) on my MP3 player. I keep on singing to them EVERYDAY on my way to school.
    "Pokemon, GETTO DAZE!!!"

WTFP Theme song: (Heh...it's funny...:D)

So anyone else watched it? (and if I create a thread discussing the things Youko and Swordhunter point out...will the Mods close it? due to rules infringement?)

Last edited:

ChibiVamp

>>RETRO GAMER<<
    Years
  • i liked season 1 the most and season two was also good. one was great cause its funny, original and over-all more memorable. i mean who can forget ash's stupid "cowderpie" comment around the beginning of season 1? that stuff was classic.:D

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I forgot about it. Mainly because all remember of Kanto are its lame battles, little character development, and it being the first region.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I have nothing against the anime except the conformity of it to the target audience...I still love the Movies (especially the music) and I have most OP and ED themes (Both Eng. and Jap) on my MP3 player. I keep on singing to them EVERYDAY on my way to school.
    "Pokemon, GETTO DAZE!!!"

I caught myself humming Mezase Pokemon Master coming home from college yesterday o.O I have loads of the Japanese songs and soundtracks on my iPod

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Good thread this.

I have to say I grew up with the original series and the days when it was cool to like Pokemon so you could say I'm bias towards them, nevertheless I would say the original stuff was better.

The truth is I was one of the many people who were really into Pokemon in the 99/00 era but due to a combination of Pokemon becoming really uncool and no way to watch the episodes (this was way before the internet was as powerful as it is now, there were no video hosting sites then which allowed you to watch episodes at any time you wanted to) I stopped watching them midway around Johto. A few months ago I got really nostalgic and starting watching the episodes again from the start, and I realised how much I enjoyed them. I started working my way through the whole series and I'm currently midway through Diamond and Pearl.

I think the humour was a lot better then, the gags back then were funny and actually could get a lol back then (Brock, Psyduck, Team Rocket). Nowadays there are a fewer lol moments. I also think Misty was the best companion to go with Ash. Her normally calm and rational personality with streaks of bad temper, went well with Ash's naivety. I think the original trio had great chemistry; they all bounced of each other. The "filler episodes" were a lot better back then; they were interesting. His original pokemon were the best I feel as well. They had such great personalities. I'm not a fan of the Pokemon contest, though I'm guessing my views on that will be better put on another thread. Overall though I think the general quality of the episodes (animation aside) was a lot better back then. I've gone back a couple of times since I started watching them again to watch the original episodes again and I still can enjoy them. I must have seen Island of the giant Pokemon and Attack of the prehoristoric pokemon at least 4 times now. I can (and probably will) in a few years time, when I'm older, go back and watch the original episodes again and still enjoy them to the same level as I had when I was younger. I'm not sure if i'll watch anything post Johto again though.

The change in voice acting for someone like me, a person that grew up with the original voice cast wasn't a welcome change. That's not to say that the new crop of voice actors arn't good, heck if it'd been the other way and the new cast were the original ones and they were replaced by the old lot, a lot of people would complain just simply because of the difference. I think you need to watch around 20 episodes to get used to the new actors and be able to judge them fairly alone on voice acting. I think a lot of people (like me originally) have been so put of by the change in the voices I don't think they've given the new VA's a fair chance. To be honest after watching a whole season of the new VA's I don't think they are too bad, though I'd much prefer the old ones just simply because I've gotten so used to them. Saying that I don't think you can replace Eric Stuart, the new guy who does James/Brock doesn't put the same humour in his voice that Eric did.

Still the new episodes aren't that bad. They are perfectly watch able and they're still better then most anime shows. You can still sort of enjoy them but not the same way you can enjoy the original series though. Part of me feels that I'm watching to see how well Ash does rather me truly enjoying them.

That's my two pence on the matter.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2013
    current serious MUCH MUCH BETTER in terms of battle system. i liked the pokemon in odl serious and wish the legends and mew etc would appeak in battle dimension and some kanto pokemon like charizard would be in ash team.

the battles in those serious didnt used to last long at all...they used to end so quick it was unreal. good example of in johto when gerrard beat 2 of gary pokemon with 1 hit each

in the new series battles last much longer and tactics play a much better role in here, they also last much longer which is better...

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    The new series could be a lot better if they didn't just get some random voice actors and start making the show, but if they waited and asked the original voices if they wanted to voice.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    It also could have been better if past characters made more frequent appearances and if the plots had been more original and something that was not tried before as well but then again I think it is too late to do anything now. The show is clearly waning and formerly loyal viewers have shunned it in recent years so I am not sure if the situation is looking as great as some people think.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    The cartoon sucks all over, the first 3 series were watchable. The more recent ones aren't, seriously, it is utter crap now. The techniques Ash has his Pokemon employ are crap, his Pokemon's personalities are crap, just all crap.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
  • It also could have been better if past characters made more frequent appearances and if the plots had been more original and something that was not tried before as well but then again I think it is too late to do anything now. The show is clearly waning and formerly loyal viewers have shunned it in recent years so I am not sure if the situation is looking as great as some people think.

We wouldn't be posting on Serebii and Bulbagarden so enthusiastically if the situation wasn't that good. Stop being a doomsdayer. Not everyone has to share your opinion, ya know.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • The cartoon sucks all over, the first 3 series were watchable. The more recent ones aren't, seriously, it is utter crap now. The techniques Ash has his Pokemon employ are crap, his Pokemon's personalities are crap, just all crap.

Obviously, your reasoning is too. The tactics are much better. Especially compared to Kanto's battles. But you say Johto is watchable? It could be your favorite but it's far from anything good.

Roronoa Zolo

Three Sword Master
    Years
  • The cartoon sucks all over, the first 3 series were watchable. The more recent ones aren't, seriously, it is utter crap now. The techniques Ash has his Pokemon employ are crap, his Pokemon's personalities are crap, just all crap.

hah. nice comment. Johto watchable? Johto was crap. The JOHTO pokemons personalities were CRAP. So i don't what your talking Hoenn and Sinnoh being crap. Ash actually USE startegies. Not like kanto were he won his battle by one move -.-". If you prefer a battle where Ash wins with one move then the old series are for you. But if you want startegies, then go watch DP battle dimesion.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • The new series could be a lot better if they didn't just get some random voice actors and start making the show, but if they waited and asked the original voices if they wanted to voice.

I didn't see this until now. They auditioned the people to play the characters, really they did.

Why would they have waited 2 years before dubbing Battle Frontier? That isn't smart at all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2013
    the only part of johto i liked was the first first gym

last gym and the pokemon league fights when ash old pokemon came back like charizard and snorlax...

the pokemon he caught in johto really sucked....

Years
  • I prefer the Kanto and Orange Islands sagas. Growing up, I greatly enjoyed watching them. They were very entertaining. In practically every episode, the plot and characters of the day were interesting. The humor was also far better than it is now.

Pokemon began to degenerate during Johto. Now, it is quite dry. A few good episodes do pop up every now and then, but other than that, the show is boring.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Maybe they realized that comedy can't keep a show that interesting for so long. So I guess you like Johto too?

Off-topic: Your avatar, is that House?

Years
  • Maybe they realized that comedy can't keep a show that interesting for so long. So I guess you like Johto too?
    No, I do not like Johto. In fact, I stopped watching Pokemon regularly when it was being aired. During Johto, the show began to be contaminated by bad filler episodes which lacked humor and had boring characters of the day. Furthermore, Misty became a useless lump. I have never liked her character, but at least I could somewhat tolerate her in Kanto and the Orange Islands. In Johto, I could not bare having her around at all.

Beware of Dark Lugia said:
    Off-topic: Your avatar, is that House?
    Yes, it is :)

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I knew it was House! Looked just like him!

On topic: I agree that Johto was pretty bad. I don't know why I watched the whole thing... oh well.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    I hate to say this, but i'm a sucker for the first five seasons. Not that the new seasons are bad; it's just that I grew up on the old episodes.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • 1st: Kanto/Johto saga (the older, the better)
    2nd: Sinnoh saga (dawn and piplup = win)
    3rd: Hoenn saga (may just ruined it. no offense though.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back