• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Old Days? Or The 'Orrible Original Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
Years
  • Kids WB doesn't exist anymore. They cleared off all the cartoons and replaced them wth retarded grown-up flicks like Reba. >X(

I know kids WB is gon for good. However Pokemon is still viewable on Cartoon Network, and thats on cable...which I don got...

4KIDS SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fully agree fenyx, not only as a very big fan of Misty but also of the original series since it was the one I grew up with and has all the characters I like in it as well but I guess since the introduction of contesting and the fact that May and now Dawn are only there to promote it and the current games and also since they ended up on the main cast Ash had to not focus as much on badges and catching Pokemon. And SamuraiMaster, I suspect you are in or somewhere near Denver Colorado since I know that the WB station there and now the CW station is on channel 2 as I used to get it on satellite TV since they had a special package where we could get WB from New York City, Denver Colorado, and Los Angeles California along with some UPN stations as well.

You're good....lol

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    SM (mind if I call you that), 4K!D$ (I like typing it like that:classic:) no longer dubs Pokémon.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • For me the later sagas (i.e. Ag and DP) are much better than the original (i.e. Kanto/OI/Johto).

Original (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)
    In Kanto, the battles were not good in anyway. The only ones that had some kind of rememberance would be Ash vs. Lt. Surge and Ash vs. Blaine. The other Gym Battles weren't that good at all. Ash never beat Brock, never finished against Misty, never finished against Erica, I can't remember Koga, never finished Sabrina, which he would've lost... again, and he didn't evn face the real Viridian Gym Leader.

In OI (Orange Islands), th battles, the rare ones, were pretty good. He was owned by Lorelei/Prima, that battle against the kid with the Poliwrath, and his battle against Drake are the only ones I remember.

In Johto, the battles got way better compared to Kanto. The only Gym Battle that really bothered me was against Whitney (She only used Miltank against three of Ash's). But the thing that killed this saga was the fillers. Pointless filler after pointless filler, I mean who cares about a Pidgey mailman. This, among most pokémon fans is the worst saga of them all.

New Siries (Hoenn and Sinnoh)

In Hoenn, they introduced May. She brought along Pokémon Contests that brought many people back and got the show better ratings. The battles were more about strategy than one hit KO's *coughEricacough*. This was also the saga in which Misty was given the boot. Of course ther were fans that didn't enjoy this but most of the fans that actually gave it a chance enjoyed it. Plus, this had more interseting rivals (Drew, Harley, Soledad) than a rival who showed up rarely (Gary). The one of few things that got me mad at this saga was the lack of rivals for Ash.

In Sinnoh, the intoduction of Dawn once again started complaints. People were saying that she was a rehash of May, only because she was going to be coordinator. But this saga has some of the best battles (Ash vs Maylene, Dawn vs May, etc). This also gave rivals for both characters (Paul, Zoey, Kenny). Also, the creators also seem to have Ash and Dawn as equals, unlike Ash and May and Ash and Misty. Also, the battles are well written and have great combinations (Shadow Ball/Ice Shard, Volt Tackle/ Iron Tail, etc) and there are more emotional episodes as well.

So final verdict: The new series over the original.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    Ah, the nostalgia watching the original episodes.. nothing beats that..

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
    Years
  • I would HIGHLY prefer the 'good old days'. Kanto is still a billion times better the that new stupid region; Sinnoh. I'm not at all a fan of sinnof. In fact, I hate everything about it, EVERYTHING except Palkia.

I hate Sinnoh.

EDIT
    The worst part about Pokemon DP was that they made Dawn MORE of a main character than Ash which annoyed and frustrated me TOO much. The "mainest" character had to be Ash but They gave that title to Dawn. When you see pictures Dawn is in the front and Brock and Ash are at the back.
    ASH should be at the front. He was the hero of Pokemon Series from the very beginning and always should be.

Last edited:

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • Kids WB doesn't exist anymore. They cleared off all the cartoons and replaced them wth retarded grown-up flicks like Reba. >X(

I know you posted this about 20 days ago but no, I needed to reply.

Reba is the most kickass show ever. Never flame it xD

On topic, I don't really know.

I hate Ash's new voice but Sinnoh has more of a plot. Plus they finally got rid of Misty and replaced her with the hotter Dawn.

Thank god for that.

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    I would like D/P, only if they kicked Ash and Brock out, along with Team Rocket. It's not that I don't like them, I'm just tired of seeing the same running gags over and over again. I want new, fresh heroes.

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
  • Original, Just learning about all the 150 original Pokémon, the ones that looked good. And the old voice actors, It was an amazing series...

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2008
    Really I miss the original the original gave me a reason to watch pokemon I agree most of the battles were pretty lame. The only good ones I remember out of all of them were

Ash vs Surge, Ash vs Richy or whatever that kids name was with the Pikachu named Sparky! The one where Charizard actuallied listen were my favorites to but it kind of died i say hoenn messed it up.

Reason why is because they added alot of characters Max idk he was always annoying did not like him one bit. Wanted to punch him when I watched it. And May just seemed boring and they had alot of charcters who seemed like wierd and Sinnoh got worse.

I like the original better but the new ones have better battles.

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Oh God... How I wanted Max to die from atrocious pain and bloodshed.. I guess I wasn't the only one who hated him, eh?

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2008
    Oh God... How I wanted Max to die from atrocious pain and bloodshed.. I guess I wasn't the only one who hated him, eh?

Well he just seemed annoying, He ruined my relaxment in watching Pokemon plus he seemed useless since he did not have any pokemon of his own.

Sweet Speed

Smile...
    Years
  • Geez would you people leave Max alone, It's not his fault that he doesn't have Pokemon, at least he's not clumsy or a loser like Team Rocket.

Anyway I like the newer Sinnoh series because it seems more modern, I like it when Ash visits a new Region and I like Sinnoh because all my favourite Pokemon are there, basicly It's up to whatever one you prefer and I prefer the Sinnoh league.

Master_Z

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I think the original wins hands down. The newer seasons (hoenn..battle-frontier..sinnoh) are absolutely horrific and need to be taken off the air. They are pathetic excuses for Pokemon.

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
  • Sinnoh. Cynthia in the anime is teh awesomesauce :D Also, the anime in the Sinnoh region is more advanced when it comes to animation and pokemon design, its more interesting, more new people and pokemon.

lordbahamut

Nyuuu~! Perfect Apple!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Even when I watched Pokémon in Japanese, Max always managed to piss me off... So I guess that either way, he wasn't necessary to the plot development. (Even though it's the same plot, all over again with contests added to that.)

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I think the original wins hands down. The newer seasons (hoenn..battle-frontier..sinnoh) are absolutely horrific and need to be taken off the air. They are pathetic excuses for Pokemon.

I know you have an opinion, but do you have to say it has to be taken off of the air? Even when OI has Tracey who did less than Max and there's Johto.

Roronoa Zolo

Three Sword Master
    Years
  • Sinnoh all the way.
    Kanto, was funny but, battles are cheap.
    Ash won his badges cheaply.

Sinnoh, they make him work hard for his Badges.
    They made him lose to Roark, which was fine because, it shows that he has a long way to becoming a pokemon master. And he has to work hard to get it.
    And if his Sinnoh team Evolve, it can match the power of the "original 4"
    in which Hoenn's/BF team of Sceptile, Donphan, Glalie and Swellow can go toe-to-toe with them on power, speed and expierence.

I think the original wins hands down. The newer seasons (hoenn..battle-frontier..sinnoh) are absolutely horrific and need to be taken off the air. They are pathetic excuses for Pokemon.

I disagree. The original series has some cheap gym battles.
    In Hoenn to Sinnoh they made Ash work for his gym badges.
    And plus, Kanto has no character development at all.
    Hoenn start to develop some reoccurring characters.
    Now Sinnoh develops the reoccurring character by "mini-arcs"
    in which The original, which has fillers. And the Johto saga was a Filler season.

So in my case Hoenn to Sinnoh gets my both.

The original series was the best. But personaly I think pokemon went downhill after 'Advanced Challenge'

I hate how everybody in 'Diamond and Pearl' are so gosh darn friendly. I remember when Team rocket was actualy a threat, When the gym leaders were evil, When Ash and Gary were Rivals!!
    Seriosly! "Best friends till the end." !?
    The second I heard that I stoped watching the show. Pokemon is definitely not the same!

No pokemon was better than ever.
    Ash found a new rival in Paul.
    In which a complete opposite of him, which makes it interesting.
    In you watch Battle Dimension, you'll see the Sinnoh is far better than kanto.
    Ash won cheaply against the gym leaders.

In sinnoh he needs to work his ass hard, or he'll lose the battle.
    Team rocket a threat? Watch out for Team Galactic. Cyrus maniac face, make Giovanni looks friendly. Gym leaders evil? thats only Giovanni. And Giovanni didn't face Ash.

I sighed as I read through this thread. Honestly, some of you punks have no respect. I'm nearly positive that the people who are arguing that the Johto Journeys episodes and onwards are better than the Kanto and Orange Islands saga, well, they weren't actually there back in the day. Can you honestly tell me that you were one of the millions of people who would get up in the morning just to watch Ash fight the next Gym leader within Kanto? Are you able to tell me that you were there when everyone liked Pokémon and that you were there when you could discuss it in school with your friends without fear of getting slandered? No, you can't, because you were raised by the episodes where Ash gets trailed around by an eight year old nerd called Max and a Pokémon trainer who has no clue about what she's doing called May, and those two characters were meant to be the protagonists! When you punks think of Team Rocket, you think of two pathetic human beings and a Meowth who seem to pull the same stupid stunts over and over again. When the people that were there back in the day think of Ash's companions, we think of Brock, an actual comic relief character and we think of Misty, an actual Pokémon trainer. When you punks think of Ash Ketchum, you think of someone who has to Catch 'Em All, someone who never loses. When the people who are old school think of the beloved protagonist, we think of the guy who knew nothing about Pokémon and went out on his journey, just like we did in the games. And he lost every now and then, just like us. His Pokémon fainted, just like ours and that's what made him great. We could relate to him. Nowadays, he just kills everyone with his hacked Pikachu.

Anyone who says that the later episodes were better than the Kanto and the Orange Islands saga needs to get some respect for the people who know what they're talking about.

Okay. I understand your post. But Johto was thrash.
    It was the worse saga ever made. It was fillers after fillers.

"Nowadays, he just kills everyone with his hacked Pikachu."

I disagree. Have you watch Hoenn to Dp/Battle Dimension?
    Dude. Pikachu get his share of butt whooping.

I Actually LAUGHED At the old episodes. they are way funnier than those bad jokes on D/P or Battle Dimensions. People who say "D/P Rulez :p" Really need to watch the old episodes >.<

If your for laughs then the old episodes are for you.

But if you want Real Battles and Character development. then DP/Battle dimension is for you.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back