• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    @Shirayuki: I like it. The text is well placed and has good colours to stand out the different bits of it. That gradient-like thing near the guy looks nice too, considering the overall banner. As for the guy itself, nothing much to say. 8/10

@Rachel: Well it's nice, but it could be smaller. I see that you can work well with the colours, and the brushing is pretty nice. As for the text, I never liked that style. Besides the text, I guess the only problem is the size. 8/10

@Nilojan: Those icons are pretty good. The colouring is nice and matches with the icons' content. The lighting is nice and the effects are well put in there. 9/10

Banner for rating is the one in my signature.

Last edited:

Zurr

The sky is not the limit.
    Years
    Ok, here's my first try at a pokeball. I'm not sure how to make one 3d-ish, similar to the one Gold holds. All i did was try to make a pokeball and kept going and ended up with this. Make a note that I'm crazy about green.

and since the button normally glows red,

GREEN!!

Note: My computer takes the 82nd page as the 83rd so i can't view anny comments, so please PM.

Subsmash

Hmm....What to put?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know much about graphics but I like the red spiral from your Pokeball and the green glow makes it stand out.

My banner is in my signature. :)

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    I'm too lazy to do a super rate because I really just want rates on this one banner

Subsmash: really boring. Two stocks generally don't work in the same tag so get rid of one and focus on the other. The text is unattractive as are the effects. I really recommend reading tutorials before diving into any banner making.

----

comments please

RosaSunglasses.

Final Fantasy XIII
    Years
    SubSmash i agree with Color me evil

and Color me evil there is nothing reall much to say about yours :D Its just sexy and amazing like all of yours are 10/10

and i wanna know how i can make mine better or a genarel rate.In sig

Gabri

m8
    Years
    @Subsmash: I guess I have nothing to add to Color Me Evil's post. Just like her, I reccomend you reading some tutorials.

@Color Me Evil: I don't really know what to say... Well I like the font of the text and its position, and the render is well positioned too. I don't know if those light-ey things around the girl are a part of the render or if it was you putting them there, but they're pretty good and their colors match well with the render's. Nothing else to say, I guess... 10/10

@Nilojan: I've already rated yours, so I don't really have something to tell now...

Well my previous post was, apparently, ignored, so, once again,
    Banner for rating is the one in my signature.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Very nice overall. I like the light effects, but they seem to be excessive to a degree. The light spots remind me of lens goblins, and I hate those. (Mainly because I wear glasses, and they annoy me to no end!)

Other than that, it looks really nice. The background suits the subject, the text does as well, in font and color.
    I don't know why you lightened a large portion of the image, leaving a darker border behind but it doesn't detract from the image too much.

Now that I've satisfied the prerequisites, I've got one I'd like some input on. It's a simple design, but I think it stands out in it's own way.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    This theme is average. Some of the effects are nice but they're mostly unorganised and bad quality. Also, the render is really bad quality. The text is also bad, it was 2 second typing and there are no blending effects whatsoever. Just typing over the signature.

My advice is to use some tutorials, especially effect and typography tutorials.

Can you please rate this - https://i40.tinypic.com/3494e0x.jpg

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Woah woah wait just a second.

Exiled Shadow, your art actually belongs in the Art Gallery, not in the Graphics section, and not only that, you didn't read the first post, and as a result did not rate Ezzo's piece.

Next, Froslass Maniac, that was a very very poor rate, and I hope that if you happen to post here again, you will give the above poster a rate worth their time. Otherwise I'll have to take action. ;<

Anyway, I find a few things wrong with your tag in my opinion. First of all, you've covered up your focal. I understand you're probably trying to blend in your png with the rest of the effects, but covering it up with that soft-brushing is a no-no. Especially since it's all in one solid color. The background looks completely copy-paste, since there's no action in it. It's just the same thing from the left to the right. And finally, the default font, the gradient, the lack of blending: All that points to the fact that the text needs work.

My suggestions are, first, remove the blue... whatever on the pokemon. Second, nuke the text entirely. It's unsalvagable as it is now- it has no 'place'. It's just floating there, impeding on the rest of the tag. If you want to add the text, put it elsewhere, change the font, do something to make it look less MS Paint.

Although I don't think there's really much you can do to make me like this tag, since I hate the background and focal placement. xD; The only thing I really like about this tag is the white orbs, and those look a bit over-contrasted.

My two cents. <3

Ezzo, that "K" is it a k? is waaaayyy over sharpened. D: I don't like how dark he is compared to the background- makes him feel like he's standing out too much? Kind of hard to look at if you know what I mean. There's this weird distortion across the entire tag, like, it's blurry here, but oversharpened there, but none of it has any relation to depth or anything. It's confusing. xD I do love that pinkish, reddish, orangish color, the letter I think is a K, and just that general thing, I love. Everything else I can't say the same. D:
    but you know I love all your other stuff, so. ;D

I sorta kinda tried imitating parallelines' style. Er, I ended up deviating at about the fifth layer, because at that point it looked fine in terms of imitation, but I have this... weird need to have a million layers. So here we are at twenty-one layers. xD;;

R a c h e l

Formerly Sapphiress
    Years
    Loki -
    I hate to be the sort of person that gives no constructive criticism whatsoever, but I'm not skilled enough to find any fault in that banner (or it just doesn't have any). I love how well the green and the blue compliment each other, and if it makes sense, it's great how the slightly blurred background accentuates the over-the-shoulder pose of the girl. The simplicity of the colour scheme is extremely aesthetically pleasing and the blue of her jacket is gorgeous <3 I'm reviewing this from my phone and so I only just realised that the brown image on the right is a shrunken rotation of the focal, which I also love. The brown just makes the blue stand out even more. Again, I apologise for not being able to offer a more helpful critique but I really do love the banner :)

Edit: My only tiny criticism is that the brightness of the white rectangle above "Ciel" seems to distract slightly from the focal - I mean obviously no one will think that the rectangle is the main feauture of the banner, but it caught my attention so I thought I may as well point it out :)

____________________________________________________________________________

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    What's it been now? Like, three or four months? Yeah, I'd say I'm due for another rate. I'm obviously a little rusty though, so it may not be too great.

@ R a c h e l:

The basics.

There's really no focal point at all on this. You can sort of tell where it's suppose to be, but you've ruined it by the way you've positioned the text. not to mention my eyes seem to keep wandering off to the top-right for some odd reason >___>;. Depth could definitely use some work. Even just blurring that creature thing running towards her would make a big difference. Unless of course, the creature is suppose to be the focal point. In that case, blur the girl. Remember, just about anything in front or behind the focal should be blurred to some extent, depending on how much distance there is between it and the focal. Next would be flow, I suppose. I don't see any in this banner. I'm gonna be honest though and say that this was probably not the greatest render to use. I mean, there's NO flow. Maybe it's just because I'm so out of date, though. Either way, flow could use some work. As for lighting, it's fine I guess. It's hard to incorporate proper lighting without a focal point, so start with that and lighting should just come naturally (more or less).

Overall it's not bad. Could use some work, but whatever. We can only get better, right?

R a c h e l

Formerly Sapphiress
    Years
    Much appreciated :) It was a request - I haven't worked with a render like that before but what you've said has clearly emphasized what I need to do to improve it. Again, thanks for the critique :)

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    @ Loki:

I'm really having trouble finding anything worth pointing out in this tag, so I'm guessing this is gonna be a short rate. :B

The only thing I'm disagreeing with is that greyed-out, upside down version of the render. I actually JUST realised what it was when I looked closer, and now that I have, I'm not so sure I like it. Can't really tell you to take it off though, 'cause then it'd just be really plain and unbalanced on the right side. :/ I don't know what to do about that. I mean it doesn't look BAD, I'm just saying that if you come up with something better to put there, do it.

Overall, great tag. <3

---

Two days back at PC and I'm already jumping into PS again. :D Not gonna lie, I actually kinda like this. But hey, I'm here for some C&C so have at it!

Color:

B&W:

P.S.
    The text says Illuminarium if I didn't make any typos. *thinks back to 2008 "gAUrdian" signature*

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Two days back at PC and I'm already jumping into PS again. :D Not gonna lie, I actually kinda like this. But hey, I'm here for some C&C so have at it!

Color:

B&W:

P.S.
    The text says Illuminarium if I didn't make any typos. *thinks back to 2008 "gAUrdian" signature*

The coloured version is better than the black and white one, to begin with. I really only have one small complaint, and that's the amount of negative space. It doesn't look bad the way it is, but I dunno, you probably could have filled the background with something other than just colour and a lighting effect.

---

One of these is a bit older, but I haven't had my banners rated in a while so meh.

Years
    parallelines, those are really colourful and creative. I've always enjoyed that kind of style, it's real easy on the eyes and pleasing to look at. Your composition is spot on. =D

Here's something I made the other day. I know I suck at text. ><

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back