• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kung Fu Quagsire!

woah there friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    Hmmmm.
    Kuggles:
    Actually, I'm liking the concept for this thing. But it's not exactly top-notch professionalism, is it? D: There's firstly too much contrast, in terms of sharpening, colours, whatever. It detracts from the focal, and the effects need to be toned down, and made less conspicuous in some areas, such as both of Matt's arms, and the leafy brushing on the right. I'm actually digging the text, but the 'Express' would probably be better off as a clipping mask or something. That white sticks out like a sore thumb D:

I made this for Loki, because I hadn't done her justice with requests in the past. I think it's alright, what about you guys?

Well, the colour of the lighting, the background and the render all work well together. The brushes are used well to give a sense of lighting and stuff. And the first thing I looked at was the render, which is good.

^ A request on PE2k ^

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    Daughter Of Mew- Should erase the brushing over the head, and not rely on the brushing so much as it kills depth. Oh and the faded head top right looks odd. Top left looks good, that part has good flow.

Epik- I probably would have smudged the shoulders a tad more. *pretty nice smile* What were the smudge settings on that?
    Oh and I don't like the little dotty...text is it? Underneath 'Arios'.

You've done the lighting really well there! ^^ great colours too.

----

^ SOTW Entry

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Renneh
    Yay it's my signature banner! Go Renneh!
    Ahem, love the blending over Vaporeon's back and tail although I just realised that on her back, the smudging is in a straight line. (Look closer to her head side) Not that it is a bad thing, just if it was any darker it may look odd.
    Loving the coloured waves at the bottom. They make the banner look great because it relieves the eyes from all blue. Font is awesome, great placing nothing wrong. Love the little glowing bubbles, gives the banner awesome depth and just looks amazing.
    My final point is the clipping mask rectangles. The bottom one is amazing. But the one above the font stands out too much. Try lowering the opacity of the rectangle or just make it smaller.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Freebee! *shot*

Don't take this one too seriously. I know it's empty and junk, but I saw the style on another forum and thought "I should try that". The render is similar and I basically replicated the old one (well, the background is a lot different, as well as the banner size), but like I said, I wanted to see if I could pull it off. Plus Soul Calibur IV comes out tomorrow and I main Talim, so... XD

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    Wow, it's unique, I give you that. XD The style of it is good.

It seems kinda plain though. But it's good for a simple type banner.

----

Ahhhh, it's been so long since I've been here. D;

Fail tym. :x

Made with Shiranui's tut, btw...

pinksyllibus

a lunar antidote
    Years

Hmm.. I like :) My only gripes with it is the text, and the lack of a border. I think the text could be better placed, and slightly bigger. Border would be nice as well, to make it look 'finished'. (Hehe, I'm a border-holic.)
    However, I love the placement of the light source! Makes it all come together. Overall, a good job. 8/10.

Annd here's one of mine. Just random.. a base for a sig I might use in the future.

pinksyllibus: Ok I can see where you are coming from with the whole grunge stlye but there is like no distinction in effect. It all just kinda looks messy. In my opinion there is grunge, and then there is messy. Lets try and lean a little toward the grunge style in a defferent way, rather than slapping more and more black brush work on a back ground.
    My final gripe is the colors are rather dull. You can have a grungie looking sig but still have exciting colors.......

I actualy do like the placement and blending of the render though. A common misconception is that you have to fade the render in anyway to blend it. It is actualy all about dynamics and placement. It is up to you if you want to cover it or fade it. It doesent really look like you just slapped on a render, even though that may have been what you did! xD

Keep up the work ;D

Ok rate these please....

Sotw entry 1

Final Sotw entry

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    @Cap - Hmm, on the first one the effects seem really overdone. The green render on the white completely dominates the scene, and throws off the depth. The lighting is kinda awkward because of that white circle thing. Also, not that it means anything, but the stock has an incredibly dumb hairstyle. :P

Second one is decent. I hate Harry Potter, but biases aside, I'd say the render looks weird with that vexel/pseudo-vexel style. He's also way too polarized and shoved off to the side. I find myself drawn more to the background/text than Potter himself. And there's a bit of FHS going on.

pinksyllibus

a lunar antidote
    Years
    Okay.. was working on these today, trying to figure out styles and such. I'm still learning, so keep that in mind :) BTW, thanks El Capitano for the rate.

Not a big fan of this.. I like the concept of it but it came out very wrong. Will work on it later.

Again, I like the concept, and not the render.

1st one: First of all you have to much happening. First of all you have a grungy background, then you have you're c4ds slapped on, and then kind of a random vector brush in the top left corner. And lastly instead of really blending the render you just lowered the opacity, wich in my opinion is the worst begginer mistake. *condems begginer tutorials to hell, shaking fist violently*.

2nd one:I actualy really like what you did with this one. Everything looks pretty good, except it is pretty mono-tone..... I think you tried fixing that with the flecky green things floating around the focal. There are more composed ways to add color than this, but it is a good effort.

Keep it up!

Rate please!

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Wow, its so colorful. <3 The only thing I have to pick on is the lighting. That light that's coming from her top hand doesn't seem to go with the render. It seems to be coming from the bottom left. :x Other than that its really nice. :D

First one with a real person... I think. D:

Raikazu: I like the concept, and the effects.... it looks pretty sweeeeeet. One thing I really have to pick on in this one is the fact that it is too contrasted. There is too much white stuff (bad description) in the banner. I dunno everything looks great but the whiteness is like overpowering.

Sorry, if you don't understand what I mean.

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    FREE RATE + ICON TIMEZ? SWEETNESS! \o/

Dunno which one's better. ^^;

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    FREE RATE + ICON TIMEZ? SWEETNESS! \o/

Dunno which one's better. ^^;

One. The texture on the second one is too obtrusive at the top. If I were looking for an LJ icon, I would most certainly choose the first one if I had my choice between alternatives. The text is good, the colors are too muted for my taste, but they're not too bad if that's your preference~ All in all, it's a good icon, but I prefer ones that have more.... pop in them. xD

Argh, depth! D:< You are a villian! [/tried hard to achieve some depth in this tag...]

pinksyllibus

a lunar antidote
    Years

Wow! I really love the colours in it. (Green's my favourite xD) Everything looks good, although I do think that you should make the man stand out a bit more, he seems to be a little too blended in with everything else. I also don't like how the font on the right is cut off at the top, but I do like the placement of it. Other than that it's a great sig. I love the brick.

Annd here's something I just cooked up for my boyfriend's guild site. The c4d on the left side I don't like too much, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

https://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crazywomanbannervl8.jpg

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    @pinksyllibus: I like it. Though that just may be my love for flaming hands. My big qualm is the big, empty left side with the long, red thingy. If it's only for a guild, it should be fine, but that much negative space is usually a no-no. XD

So, I got Soulcalibur IV last night and have been playing non-stop, so it's only fitting I do a Batman banner!

...wait a second. Anyways, this one features Talim, priestess of the Wind Dance.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    @fate - It's pretty good. The bottom part gets boring though so I'd crop off a good 50-60 pixels of height from the bottom. The text could use improvement too. The sig is mostly render though, it would be nicer if the background were a bit blurred and then it had some foreground effects to add depth.

Here's my latest sig, for a SOTW on another board.

(and here's the black and white one that's the actual submission, that being the theme and all...)

Heroes

Trying not to die in a book.
    Years
    Wow, I love the black and white one. It's not as realistic but I do llike it better. And I like how the building in the back left has a giant chunk missing out of it.

I just started migging signatures, and I dont care one bit about a border. I used GIMP for these, because I dont have the money to buy Photoshop, and I dont fine the reason to take the time to find a different program when GIMP is perfectly fine.

First time using the Smudge.

I felt like making this one because I'm a Jeff Hardy fan and it's funny to see him go flipping through the air.

I made both of these for a different site, so that explains the names.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Reply post of power.

@fate - It's pretty good. The bottom part gets boring though so I'd crop off a good 50-60 pixels of height from the bottom. The text could use improvement too. The sig is mostly render though, it would be nicer if the background were a bit blurred and then it had some foreground effects to add depth.

I didn't bother with blurring the background, or the text, but I cut off a bit and put some splatter effects in the foreground.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back