• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    You're new here, aren't you. We expect rating to be decent- not two bullets that couldn't help a fly.
    Nevermind that. It doesn't matter since most people who rates here doesn't even have 3 words in it.
    Here is the detailed rating of Inugami's baner:
    @Inugami:
    1st: try to add some more effects over the sig, , some lights should go over the banner. (7/10)
    2nd: make the texts more readable, and overlay effects are very important (5/10)

Here's my new Crash Internet Explorer banner:

SpaceMan: I'm not really experienced in rating that kind of banners, so Is that FF eating IE your drawing or your image? Just wondering.

The Shadows are good, but the image kinda distracts my attention, even though the text is ginormous. Also the text in the URL box, I think you should make it stand out more. Not much of a rate. D:

--

D: I made an effect which you normally see in the anime (If you watched it.)

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    You're new here, aren't you. We expect rating to be decent- not two bullets that couldn't help a fly.

Hey sweet heart, your post not only didn't help a fly, but it didn't help you either. AKA: You're over stepping your bounds, dude. Don't think I've forgotten you already. ;< I'm pretty sure I told you that "the next time would be an infraction". This is the next time, so watch what you say. You didn't start out doing so hot either, so stop getting on other people's cases, and maybe just report it next time. That's why we have the system implemented.

And besides, his two bullets beat your lack of anything. Your third to last post, when you rated Kayashi's? Yeah, you neglected to rate the banner above you; that would be Conman's banner, so before you mouth off, please pay attention to those things, as this is the second time you've criticized someone, but failed to follow rules yourself.

Ryuuji:

Well first of all, I commend you for doing a pretty good job on the cut out. I know some graphic artists who think that the cut out is just randomly selecting with the polygonal lasso, and it's so hard to tell them without downtalking them; it's not. So kudo's for follow Itoshiki's curves with your angles! Secondly, while the colors are a little monotonous for my tastes, they fit well, so at the very least, they're not clashing and just... y'know. xD; Bad. The placement is good, and I'm glad you chose not to add text. The background is cute, but there are a few qualms I have with the banner itself.

1. If you were going for the anime look, then I suggest you remove either the white cutout, or the black cut out. It gives the banner a sort of fake sense of depth; and on-screen, that show is really flat and 2-D, IMO.
    2. It's too plain. I know that's what it's supposed to be like, cause that's just the way it is, but this is too plain. The show usually has some kind of eyecatcher, be it the face of our beloved mangaka blocking out the service NC-17 parts, or maybe the mask of that religion that pees on the beach during it's rituals, there's usually something outrageous about Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and since you're going for an anime-fashioned effect, I'm not feelin' the Zetsubou vibe. ;<

So, I made this banner as a header for our Anime Club at school. I know, dorky aren't I? Oh well. Anyway, I know it's really monotonous, but... :< I like the color scheme.

YES THIS IS A LINK TO A BANNER THAT SHOULD BE RATED.

Last edited:

SwampertTrainer

The Lord of Photoshop
    Years
    I didn't notice that it was his- if he maybe used a more noticeable font color other than something that just blends in with the background of the page, I would have seen that.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I didn't notice that it was his- if he maybe used a more noticeable font color other than something that just blends in with the background of the page, I would have seen that.

Well it's usually a good idea to check the post above you first thing, since that's one of the most important things. Now here you go again, posting your arguments in the thread, and here I will lecture to you again:

Private messages have a purpose, so please utilize them.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    @Conman - You have way too many effects going on. It's overtaking the stock and my eyes can't settle on one thing in the tag. The colors are great and the idea of the tag is pretty good, you just executed poorly. Kanye blends in way too much with the background and it's hard to separate him from all the effects. Generally, it's way too busy for my taste.

@Swampert - Oh thx for rating my tag. As for yours, scrap the thick border. The text would be bearable if you didn't have the black part sticking out like a sore thumb. If you kept it like the other parts of the text, it would look decent. Not good by any means but it would be tolerable. The subtext would be better off right under the main text, since that's technically where subtext is supposed to go; below the main text. The blue splatter isn't doing much for the tag but maybe if you changed it to white and set it to overlay, it might look okay. I don't like how you discontinued the clouds on the right, even if you just blurred them they would look better than black. Pump up the saturation too, it looks really washed out.

@Inugami - The first banner isn't so terrible, although please do get rid of the cinematic borders; they never look good. You picked some good colors although it would be good to see a few bits of complimentary colors in there to make it a little less monochrome. The flow is all over the place and there's no definitely light source. All the brushes take away your depth. I'd like to see more of a foreground as well. As for the second one, its definitely way oversharpened. There also isn't much going on in the tag because it's basically just one big guy taking up the whole tag and little bits of beige. Personally: scrap it.

@SpaceMan - There's obviously no artistic elements to this tag, but I imagine you wanted it to be that way. The only thing that I can really complain about is the blue wind-like thing behind the "Crash IE" text. It looks funky and out of place.

@Ryuuji - You have a flare for sepia toned tags, don't you? :P They aren't always bad (the Yuko one you had not long ago was pretty nice) but you should try something else every now and then. :D I've always liked the sharp cutouts behind the stock, along with the drop shadow. I think you could've made the background a lot more colorful, which would make this a really interesting tag. It's something I do a lot in icons and it looks pretty nice in those, so why not try it in a tag?

@Allelujah - Secksah banner! I really like it a lot. Although, you know me and my monochrome hate... >_> Some more reds and yellows would look wonderful in that. I don't like how you can see the edge of the grid render near Minato's arm; erase that so it looks nice and blendyful. I like the city scape on the left but the emptyness on the right is throwing me off, perhaps some nice renders set to lighten? I think that would fill in the space nicely.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS NOT A FREE RATE. RATE ALLELUJAH'S BANNER.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    Allelujah's just kicked my bum, I think. That looks really neat; the color is good, the pose is great... *thumbs up* Frankly, it's really awesome.

9/10

The banner I'd like rated... it's the one in my signature; the Exodus one.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    DGexe: The text is attracting more attention than the earth is. If I'm not mistaken, the earth would be your focal point or render. Also, the purple background seems very random because the earth definitely has more of a blue hue than a purple one, causing the earth to not blend in very well with the background. The text is awfully pixely, and the colors are very random. Make the text blend in with the banner more, rather than choosing terribly bright and random colors over dark monotonous backgrounds. The earth appears too blurry, too. The render of your banner always wants the most attention, so give it some sharpening or contrast. Do more effects to your banner too, or it will look like you just took a background and slapped a render on and added text.

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
    DGexe: No offense, but it's all that wonderful. In my humble opinion, it looks like you just through a render on a previously white file and added text from a randomly picked color on your palette. Try blending a little bit more and coordinating colors better. Try to throw some more effects in. You'd be amazed at what amazing things you could do with a simple soft brush. As for the text, don't make it look like one of those swirly paint colors you see at the school fair. Blend it more and make it flow with the banner. Make it the heart of the banner, rather than just an attachment. On a positive note, you have much room for improvement and I hope you keep trying!

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    Heh, no offense taken, and now that I look at it with your's and Kayashi's thoughts in mind... I'm going, "Pretty-ish, but... why did I do that?" (And actually, the image you see is another piece I made, which... looks a lot better and bigger than this lil' planet). Ahem, anyway, I'll get to work on it (or a new banner, knowing me, later)-- with y'all's commentary in mind, of course.

As for now... yeah, I guess y'all get a free wild-card rating of whatever! *has nothing new to offer right now*

Edit: Pretty nice desktop; very out there (but not in a bad way-- it's cool to look at); however... the randomly placed rose throws me off a bit. Perhaps tie that in better somehow (more roses?)

8/10

Edit II: I LIE. I have something new now:

Last edited:

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    DGexe: Personally I don't like it, it's too dull and plain. The black sides really put off alot of the banner, and it looks like a background and some text. My eyes are wandering everywhere so I don't get what you wanted from the banner. Try not keep everything pefect, you have text right in the middle and two borders right on the sides exactly the same. Try mix it up a bit. But as always, people will improve.

-------------------

This is my first banner in AAAGEEEEESS. Cavemen were around last time I made one ;<.
    Anyways, here goes: (PS, I give you permission to smack as much as you can on the banner)

ps borders are gay.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    It would do nice as a background for something, or a CSS Background, but as a theme? Blegh...

'ps borders are gay'
    I second that

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Yeah, the banner is in my sig, rate please!

Years
    You could work on blending a little bit more, I suppose. The C4Ds and such seem to stick out from the background; I don't know if that's what you were going for, but it could be touched up a little bit. The, uh... 'light effects' are alright, but a little opaque for my taste. Lower the opacity, and maybe set them to a different layer style?

As for the actual background (the blue and black), it's alright. It could use a little more smudging, but I'm sure you could get away without changing it.

Lastly, the text. Surprisingly, I don't have too much of deal with the text. Personally, I would murder the stroke, but the rest fine. Maybe put it in a different location?

All in all, it's a decent banner. You might want to think about adding a gradient map to it; y'know, make it a little less 'everywhere' if you get what I'm saying. Nice job though, and keep trying!

Trying to get my ish together in PS again... how's this looking?
    (Two banners made for Project Nintendo)

Last edited:

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024

ps borders are gay.

Argh, okay, this banner has compelled me to rate, even though I really don't want to right now. xD First things first:

SHARPENSHARPENSHARPENSHARPEN
    just once

It will look so much cleaner, so much nicer, and so much less LQ if you'd do that for me. Then, your light source is a bit dirty, so I'd clean that up too. The light'll be more vibrant, more spread, and more like light if you do. And then, might I suggest some light textures? I personally like messing around with banners when I'm rating them, and I just added one; it looks awesome, IMO. Depending on the light texture you choose, that could actually clean up your light source at the same time, so yeah. ;D Good banner otherwise though, love the colors, design, and the black smokey stuff in the back. :>

Luigi banner is waaaay too plain. I'm thinkin' some stocks, textures, c4ds, or some stronger smudge is in order. You light is okay, but the text needs to go too. I'm pretty sure I hate it where it is right now, and it'd probably go better on top of his other arm. That way, it'd be less like an afterthought, and more like it was contributing to your tag, yeah? I also suggest making every letter all CAPS. <3

The Bowser one is considerably better though. I think the fire in the back needs a little more red, and since there's so much contrast on Bowser, and it's so dark behind him, your light source might be upped a little stronger so that it could plausibly create that sort of lighting effect. xD; I like the text and drop box, but the biggest problem is; under your render, set a saturation layer, and a color balance layer. Up the saturation, up the red, up the yellow.

----------------

I have nothing for you to rate. Aren't you lucky? Not really. I'd still appreciate it if you could be so kind as to rate someone's banner that's on this page. Any banner that maybe piques your interest.

Years

I'm not loving this one so much. :< It's a little plain, and it doesn't really seem like a lot of effort went into it.

I don't really know what else to say. You could use a little text, maybe? Um, yeah... that's about it I guess. :| Not horrible, but could definitely use a lot a work.

Sort of tried a different style, here. I was thinking of taking away the C4Ds... what do you think?

Oh, and it has a white border, you just can't really see it. So... yeah.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Visual
    I disagree with happytism. Make the CYM blurrier and take off the white. The sharpness of the CYM makes it flatter as does the white.
    v2. o.o' Remove the text… Downwards text is hardly ever appealing. Sharpening made the quality worse.

Lifeless
    : Make the effects on the right more prominent. Text is good. I have to say I remember hearing that the render used wasn't allowed to be freely used by the deviant artist who created it.
    Rockets.
    Take off the text from the Nintendo sigs. Also sharpen/give more effects to the yellow around Luigi's right hand.

Glance: Needs to be less purple. Also looking at it more and more the repeat just looks odd. Transform it somehow.
    As for the text; make the letter spacing for You know I can't deny your eyes bigger, so that the S in eyes ends at the top of the G.
    The beginning of You needs to be in line with the baseline of the E.
    Use guides.

Last edited:

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    Rockets: I quite like this banner, but I think you should take some of the c4ds out, the one in the background to the right looks a bit wierd to me and puts a bit of the banner off. I like the text and everything else though. Also, make it a bit less saturated, it's ok to be soft, but not too soft.

I've changed my banner around a bit.

I know I stuffed the right up a bit with the C. Also, the right of the banner is white if you cant see ;D.

And heres a new one I made using the same style.

Years

I like this one. I see what you were trying to do, and you pretty much nailed it (in my opinion) XD; The only things I don't like are those multicolored lined on the top... they just, I dunno. They don't seem to belong. Oh, and you might want to not concentrate your lighting so much on the one area. Spread it out a little bit.

This is amazing. Did you make the background yourself, or was it a stock image? Either way, I think it's awesome, man. I know this might sound a little weird, but... I love the way the colors wash out into the big white blot in the middle. Um, yeah... that's all I really have to say about this one. Awesome, dude.

Oh, and P.S... You nailed the text on this one. XD;

Alright, so I redid my Glance signature, putting all of your advice into effect. This is what I ended up with (and yes, I've got two; one with text, one without):
    Without Text

With Text

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    8/10 for without, 9/10 for within. They both look fine, but the text adds a little spice to it.

Made a new banner; rate please?

Last edited:

Myw

Feelin' Fresh
    Years
    Rockets: I like the way you made the banner, the effects are siimple, yet good on the eyes and easy to look at. I'll go for the one with the text as the one without looks empty on the other side.

DGexe: Your banner is okay but I can't really comment on anything else, all it looks like is a cutout of Diagla's head on a rectangle. What I think you should do is make the banner more rectangular so we can see more of Diagla and make the text a little less bigger so we can focus more on the image because in a every graphic with an image, you have to focus on the image and not the text, which is what your aren't doing.

Here's mine, I made it following a tutorial someone gave me on another forum.
    Featuring Uzumaki Naruto from Naruto.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121459

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2008
    DGexe: The signature is kinda plain and looks lq. It lacks any real effects, aside from those on the text which looks extremely choppy(I'm guessing you cut it from something else?). Dialga looks slapped onto the sig, and doesn't have any place in the signature because it's either taking away from the focal, or is supposed to be the focal, but is overpowered by the text.

Myw: Watch the contrast on the sig. It's almost to the point of being too high. Along with that, some parts of the background are oversharpened and taking away from your focal. The last issue I see is with the text. It looks out of place, and stands out far too much.

Most recent sig is below. Seeing as I don't yet have 15 posts, I can't repost it if that's even necessary.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back