• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hardest Catch

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2012
    Articuno from blue. Oh articuno,how I hate you.... I lost so many ultra balls to that bird.....

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    how has no one mentioned kangaskhan yet.

"A wild Kangaskhan appeared.
    Kangaskhan fled"

At least you could stock up for Zapdos, Ho-oh, Mewtwo and so on.

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    It would have been post-game Ho-Oh from Soulsilver.
    I wasted about 40 Ultra Balls on him before I gave up completely. That may be because it was 5 in the morning and I'd had no sleep, or because I was wasting time. :/

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
    Years
  • Gosh, mine has to be the first time I ever attempted to catch a Giratina. I spent hours in the temple running around after it, and when I finally found it it took me a good 20 ultra balls to get him caught. N00b me used my master ball on a Bronzong.

I vividly remember my brother taking forever over catching an Uxie - he kept accidentaly killing it to keep it's HP down so he was constantly reseting. He did catch in in the end, but it took him forever.

Years
  • Rayquaza. GAAAH. Never managed to catch it without hacking.

What the heck! Did you like say, give up on catching Rayquaza?

It might sound odd but I had an extremely hard time catching Terrakion. No other legendary took me three consecutive hours to catch. Cobalion and Virizion were no problem at all, just Terrakion.

I had the hardest time in Gen V. Tornadus was also a pain because I had a bout of Pokérus come and go while I was trying to catch it. It really irked me when I realized my Stunfisk, my HM slave, was one of the six that had obtained Pokérus.

Terrakion and Tornadus are the bane of my existence. Or maybe it's just legendary Pokémon whose names begin with the letter T.

Maybe you just ended up unlucky with the Random Number Generator. According to TV Tropes, it says it's a Luck-Based Mission to find a Pokemon, let alone catch one.

The legendary Pokemon I had most trouble catching was Rayquaza in Sapphire. I remember saving right in front of it with 20 Ultra Balls in my bag (had already used the Master Ball on Latias), and having to retry for nearly an hour just to catch it. The non-legendary I've always had the most trouble with is Skarmory on any game. It always takes a half-dozen balls for me to catch one, even when it's asleep and low on HP.

Yeah, Rayquaza is so hard to catch. 100% agreed.

Legendaries are always a hassle to capture, that's one of the reasons why I despise them. LOL

But yeah...I find it hard to capture Murkrow (God, I hated catching Murkrow in D/P/Pt...Always busting outta my Dusk Ball with that retarded cry it has LOL)

Misdreavus, Skarmory, Electabuzz and Magmar are a couple of more whenever encountering them. In order to capture them I would halfta hit them with a status ailment; Par, Psn, Slp, the works!!!

...And also...Chansey...I mean, it's so weak defense wise, but can easily break outta Pokeball?!?! LOL

I've had very bad experience with catching Chansey, every time they broke out of my Poke Balls. I had to go as far to use a Timer Ball on one.

Gible I also often have trouble catching, I had to use a Timer Ball once when catching it.

But probably my hardest non-legendary catch would be a Cryogonal in Black, it was summer (and they are super-rare outside of winter) and it took me 8 Dusk Balls to catch it, and that was even after I used False Swipe on it. It was a PAIN.

In my early days of playing through Sinnoh in Pearl, I often had trouble catching Buizel as well unless if I paralyzed it.

You should watch one of the Marriland's Pokemon White videos (Winter In Dragonspiral Tower) where he wasted 8 Dusk/Ultra Balls just to catch one Beartic. I mean, why would it take so many just to catch one Pokemon?

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
    Years
  • For me, Moltres in Leaf Green. I wasted my Master Ball on Articuno because that was the first legendary I saw. I easily caught Zapdos after freezing it with Articuno's Ice Beam. Then I took 2-3 hours resetting after running out of balls to catch it with. Eventually, I caught it with my one and only Pokéball after using all my Great and Ultra Balls.

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Mewtwo in Pokemon Red. Took me about 30 Ultra Balls to catch it. (´・ω・`)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Giritina in Platinum, it amazes me how it works actually, on XD Gale Of Darkness I was able to capture a Level 40 Rapidash with full health in 1 ultra ball, with very little health it took me several trys to catch a level 39 Chansey and several others.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2012
    Entei and Raikou were REALLY tough for me too. I ended up catching both, but it took forever. I caught those awhile ago, so I don't remember exactly how long it took, but I want to say a few days of constantly trying.
    The hardest stationary pokemon for me to catch so far is Rayquaza in SoulSliver by far. I got so frustrated I just used my master ball. I must have went through 1,000 ultra balls and dusk balls (counting all the retries lol).

blackmorale

風の行方
    Years
  • Probably Entei in SS for me, as it kept using Roar. And then I had to do the tracking process all over again.

Years
  • Being someone who used his masterball really early, the end game legends like Ho-Oh in SS, or Mewtwo/Groudon/Kyogre, always gave me trouble.

I used over 50 ultra balls catching a Rayquaza once. :|

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Blue

Articuno

"You missed the Pokemon"

times
    in
    a
    row

HOW?!

oh, and Platinum Giratina, I was doing a "Catch everything in Pokeballs" run

74 Pokeballs later...

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    As terrible as it sounds, I could never catch chimecho... I don't know why, but I had a terrible time finding it, and the first couple times I found it, it fainted. After that, it simply would not stay in the great ball.

Years
  • Probably Regigigas for me. I had it False Swiped to 1hp and had it asleep with Spore. Blasted thing forced me to reset four times, with me wasting 60 Dusk Balls each time. Nothing else has been so stubborn for me.

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
    Years
  • Raikou from my SS game. I caught suicune first, entei a couple months after that, and then Raikou. Raikou raikou raikou. 4 months after catching entei, raikou had 1hp and every time I ran into him I would have ampharos use shock. Until I guess one afternoon I just got lucky (T)_(T) roaming pokemon are the worst. Giratina from my diamond game was also a challenge. I swear I reset about 10 times until I finally caught him with an ultraball.

Last edited:
    Back