• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The manga ceation support club

Kimicatdemon

One who randomly returns!
    Years
    I'm hoping to at least have the first chapter done by the end of the month..O.o easier said than done...

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Hey guys
    I tried doing a demo of a panel in a chapter of the BSC manga I'm working on.
    I think I did pretty good
    The manga ceation support club

And she's saying that to two St Bernards

Years
    I'm on page 32 of volume 5! Yayness.

Wow! I like it.
    How's you get the screen tones?

Last edited:

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    How's you get the screen tones?
    Well for starters, I added them after I scanned and cleaned my picture
    They come as preset patterns in PaintShop pro and you can angle them and layer them to make even more screen tones. It was a pain in the butt resizing the image and then figuring out that selecting the area and converting it into a layer to separate it required having the image at it's original size
    I dont blaim you if you only caught half of that. I can barely read it!

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    I don't think I have paint. I wish I did. TT
    You can actually get the trial on the internet by googling it. And even when you have to buy it, it's like only 25% as expensive as photoshop. It's usually around 100 to 150 US$. It's much easier than Photoshop but extremely underrated.

I have a little tip for all of you. I do it all the time
    I warn you though, this is gonna be one big post

You know how storylines in mangas are usually more complex than simplistic cartoon stories. Like for example a comparison of cartoons compared to manga storylines would be:
    (the demo will be about the classic "ball goes over fence" story.)

Cartoon/comic: boy is in a little league baseball team. Ball flies over the fence one day. Boy and friends try to figure out ways to get the ball back and to not get caught by the ball. The kids are caught by the man who lives in the house of the yard, who everyone thought was cranky but turns out to be really nice. Kids get ball back. End of story

Now a manga story would go like this:
    boy is in a little league baseball team. Ball flies over the fence oneday. Boy and friends try to figure out ways to get the ball back and to not get caught by the ball. The kids are caught by the guy.
    It turns out the guy secretly plays baseball and doesn't want anyone to know so he takes the balls that fly into his yard and uses them so he doesn't have to buy them himself. His wife and kids secretly know though but dont want to embarrass him. Some complex things happen with the family and it turns out one of the kids is a member of the little league team and never said anything. (and other complicated things like that)

Well, the thing I do is, I take a cartoon series like the Fairly OddParents and I convert the childish, cartoony story into a more deep manga-style story. For example (yes another example) I made Timmy's sitter Vicky be not as strong as antagonist as she was originally. In fact she secretly wants Timmy to do his best and not end up like her. The reason I made for her being a mean sitter was because she was a teenager failing in school and sitting for Timmy was her only escape from her home and all she wanted was peace.

However, I have not watched much of this series so for those who have and have just read this, my conversion may seem like bullshat but I'm just using information I found on the internet.

I wrote all this analysis up because I felt this would help people who were drained on a good storyline and would help other people develop their stories better. In fact this advice can not only be useful for mangas but for fictions and fanfics too.
    Good luck

Kimicatdemon

Years
    The BSC manga..Oo I've read the books..have a few too! *nice pic of anime on your sig* wait, they have an anime??

Years
    Long post, but not as long as as some others I see. XD

This advice really helps. Thanks. =D
    I've seen just about every episode of FOP and other many cartoon shows, so I'll give it a shot and see how the outcome is.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    The BSC manga..Oo I've read the books..have a few too! *nice pic of anime on your sig* wait, they have an anime??
    No they actually dont have an anime... I did that picture myself. I even did an animation where she says something but right now my computer isn't too great. (I cant even manage the folder with my Pokemon episodes in it without the whole program crashing)
    I'm a huge huge fan of the Baby-Sitters Club and as I read along, I imagined what it would be like if their series was in Japanese style art. The fights between the girls would be ten times funnier. Exaggeration and fake tears would play a huge roll seeing as Mary Anne is a crybaby. And even adding a few subtle snarks in now and then would just make it the dream manga. In fact I bet if I sold this manga, it would sell out the crappy cartoon graphic novel about the BSC.
    I spend too much time on the computer!

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    What program did you use?!! I envy you so much right now!! Your art work is amazing!!
    The only high-quality art program I got, Paint Shop pro 9
    I'm telling you, PSP9 has sooo many capabilities! It's a shame it's put in the shadow of photoshop.
    In fact, unless stated otherwise I always use PSP for my artwork. I recommend you try it. Believe it or not, when you want to draw a nice smooth curve, you CAN, no paths to anchor and stroke, no selections to make.
    I recommend it!

Kimicatdemon

Years
    I've drawn on MS paint..I'll upload some pictures in awhile..It's fan art to princess tutu though, nothing special..Oo

Back