• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The matter of Character Customization.

Snoopyfish

10% Dog - 90% Fish
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2016
    So what do you think?

Do you think Character Customization will be included, or do you think it's Kalos exclusive?

pkmin3033

I have a feeling character customization will be Kalos-exclusive, because one of Kalos' underlying themes was fashion because of the French inspiration, but I would love it if it were retained, with additional options and costumes this time around, even if they ended up being paid DLC or something...as distasteful as that sounds. But character customisation was one of Kalos' better features and I think it'd be a shame if they kept it in Kalos.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2016
    Sadly I don't think it will be included. Just like HGSS following feature, I think it is a gimmick exclusive to that game that we will be begging to return for years to come and never see it again :(

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    If no customization it will be kind of boring. It was fine with ORAS since it was a remake but for a new gen not expanding on customization of the trainers it will be boring.

If they go back to the usual Brunette Blue eyed female with white skin instead of letting people chose the skin, eye, hair color and haircut I will be sad.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Same. I will be extremely disappointed if this was removed for the games. It is something people had always wanted and we finally get it. It would be stupid not to include it.

The following feature was very unrealistic. And i didn't like the idea, very much to start with.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    The following feature had giant pokemon being as big as tiny pokemon and it wouldn't really fit in the 3D games either.

Years
    I did use trainer customization in XY, but after I beat the main story. It was understandable why ORAS didn't have it, given it was a remake, but if this generation managed to allow you to change your look, surely it would be a continuing thing in future games... until Masuda's statement came in which he claimed it was a Kalos-exclusive feature, due to said region's association with beauty, which is now causing me to debate if it even will make it into Sun & Moon but if we're going to go by Masuda's statement, I guess we'll assume it won't make it in and that means battling tons of clones in online battles again.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    If no customization at least make the Trainers a different skin color than the usual trainers we got. Looking at the female trainers all were Brunette except Dawn and Kris, all had Blue eyes except Lyra and well all were fair-skinned.

Serena was the only one to vary in skin color, hair color and eyes color.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Character customization is a thing people have been wanting since before X & Y's release. It adds to the immersion of the game, and at the very least gives you something extra to do--when you reach a new location with a clothing shop, you take extra time to go in and customize yourself, and you're encouraged to save money to buy the clothes you want.

This may sound a bit harsh but I feel it's the truth: character customization is the only worthwhile (non-battle mechanic) feature to retain from X & Y. And because it's something that benefits the games' immersion in addition to being a fan-favorite feature, it would be very, very awful if they weren't brought back as a series staple.

Honestly, the number of people here saying it probably won't come back because "look at Pokémon following you, that never came back," and other similar things, is really quite alarming. I mean, I get where they're coming from (I could argue that Pokémon following you, while fun, isn't as immersive of a feature as customizing your avatar, but I'll save that for later), but it just goes to show how...little hopes people have for these games. Come on, guys! I know what it's like--you don't want to get your hopes up because that's how you get let-down. But these are the 20th anniversary titles. They skipped "Z" for this! It's not wrong of you to expect that they keep highly-demanded features.

The trailer did say these games would "bring all the others together," so maybe this feature you think will remain Kalos-exclusive will actually be included after all!

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    I would love to have character customization back but I think it's almost a Kalos-exclusive seeing as it is a reference to France's apparent love for fashion.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I loved the Trainer customization feature in X and Y, and even if they don't bring back outfit customization because of the whole Kalos/France fashion thing, they really need to allow the customization of hair, eye, and skin color. It's the kind of basic customization that really feels like you're making the character your own.

Years
    Maybe we won't get to change clothes, but it wouldn't be too much to ask that we could customize the skin tone, eye color, hair color, etc. at the beginning of the game. Even if we couldn't change the hairstyle and were stuck in the same outfit the whole game it would be really nice to have at least that much. Going back to no customization whatsoever would be a mistake.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Personally, I would wish Trainer Customization to be back, since it's one of the welcoming change in XY back in the day because I can personalize my player character to my liking, so I hope they would kept it as a feature. Even though ORAS didn't include this because it was the remake, but still, I could cross my fingers and hope that Trainer Customization will be in once again.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
    I think because of much of a massive hit it was, I think it'll be back. Like stated, customization is something that was requested for years and quite adamantly.

Years
    If customization doesn't come back, then I'm hoping the new female protagonist will be really cute and well-designed.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    The reason I myself don't have much faith in Gamefreak is because they have a habit of randomly removing beloved features and giving no explanation (or not a very good one) whatsoever. They are also very slow to change or fix things that are broken in the Pokemon games. (Nidorina and Nidoqueen still can't breed.) So I'm pretty cynical about this coming back, but I really, really want it. Your trainer's a speechless, personalityless protagonist already. Why not make it much easier to insert yourself in the games? I do hope that as an anniversary special though, that they explore this feature and give you all sorts of costumes and accessories, including ones based on older protagonists and ones based on actual Pokemon. But they might just use that as an excuse not to. ("It's more nostalgic not to have customization.")

Zet

Years
    I can understand Gen 3 remakes not having character customisation because they already had set characters that were just remodelled. I believe there will be a great chance(95%!!!) of it returning in the Gen 7 games.

Years
    I think there needs to be at least basic customisation like skin tone. Pokemon have really been pushing how worldwide and for everyone the franchise is so to go back to the white default only would be stupid imo.

Back