• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The matter of Character Customization.

MirraJade

Kimono Girl
Years
  • I hope it returns I understand why ORAS didn't have it, I would be sad to never see it return, but if it's like the pokémon following you around in HGSS then I guess it would make sense for it not to but if it does I hope they add more special costumes like the slurpuff dress and pangoro hat

NightmareClown

NightmareClown
    Years
  • I think it will be only Kalos that does it, sadly. But if it is in the Sun and Moon I would love to be able to change my character to how I want it at the very start instead of unlocking different clothes along the way.

This is completely unrelated but I think that if this feature is included, it would be AWESOME! Here it is, that you can see, talk and battle real life people as trainers without having to wait in the pokemon centre or use c-gear. Like, you just see them following the story line with you throughout the game and doing their own thing... But we,as players, can interact!

That is why it would also be cool to have character customisation... If they add in the little extra feature.

Years
  • This is completely unrelated but I think that if this feature is included, it would be AWESOME! Here it is, that you can see, talk and battle real life people as trainers without having to wait in the pokemon centre or use c-gear. Like, you just see them following the story line with you throughout the game and doing their own thing... But we,as players, can interact!

We actually got a feature similar to this in 6th Gen, the PSS. It does mean you can now battle and trade without needing to be in a Pokemon Center, and also explains why they had their connection rooms removed.

But like you, I feel like trainer customization is likely going to be an X/Y thing if that's what Masuda stated.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2017
    Am I the only one who would have been alright if pokemon X and Y had no trainer customization?
    I did like that we got it but, I feel like I would have still liked X and Y a lot without trainer customization.

Years
  • Am I the only one who would have been alright if pokemon X and Y had no trainer customization?
    I did like that we got it but, I feel like I would have still liked X and Y a lot without trainer customization.

I didn't use trainer customization in my X playthrough until post-game (though it was because I liked Serena's base design anyway) so I still would have enjoyed the game without the feature, but I know some like a more unique experience and a trainer designed to reflect that, and I do respect that opinion as well.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    I want it back and it should come back. But I'm not confident that it will. The art with the Pokemon Center doesn't seem to have any change rooms.

Years
  • I don't really see character customization returning in these games tbh, one of the whole reasons they implemented it in X and Y was perhaps because of the association Kalos had with France and therefore with fashion. I really love features like these and it still confuses me why Game freak only uses cool features in one game (e.g. Pokemon following you in HGSS) which makes me think we won't see soaring in these games as well which would be a disappointment cause that was another feature I loved.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    I think that's a plot/in-universe justification but the thing was in for technical reasons because 3D models made it possible to look at your trainer from all angles and design clothes that all share the same animation.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Like a lot of the rest of you, I don't think character customization will return. It seems like it was a Kalos-only thing, unless that was just an excuse not to include it in ORAS because those were remakes and GF wanted them to stay true to the originals. It's a shame, because I really liked the idea of character customization, and I really want to see GF do more with it (including a lot more options, and maybe more outfits based on other protagonists or trainers, too). As the graphics improve, we see more and more detail in our character. There are a lot of things I don't like about some of the protagonists, and one of the great things about XY was that I was able to change some of the things I didn't like about the character I stared at all the time. I would really like to be able to do the same thing in Sun and Moon. However, there are a lot of other old features I would like back that GF seems to have no desire to see return to the series, so we'll see what happens with character customization.

I must say, though, I was somewhat surprised not to see the skin tone options from XY return in ORAS. I could see avoiding them as a means of keeping the games truer to the originals, but I would have expected GF to fear outcries of racism for cutting out the multiple skin tone options that they had in XY. As it turned out, people didn't seem to be as bothered by it as I thought they would be, but if GF returned any customization option to the series, I wonder if that's the one they would go with.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    If there's no skin choice I just hope one of the trainer get a skin color different than the usual color trainers with no customization had. I could see the Moon protagonist to be the female and be tan or dark skinned with silver hair.

Years
  • If there's no skin choice I just hope one of the trainer get a skin color different than the usual color trainers with no customization had. I could see the Moon protagonist to be the female and be tan or dark skinned with silver hair.

The main point of the protagonists is that they are meant to be counterparts of each other, which means they usually share a certain feature such as hair/eye colour, similar outfit colour schemes, and so on. They are also both fair-skinned by default since Pokemon is a Japanese franchise and they are sorta meant to represent Japanese kids.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    The main point of the protagonists is that they are meant to be counterparts of each other, which means they usually share a certain feature such as hair/eye colour, similar outfit colour schemes, and so on. They are also both fair-skinned by default since Pokemon is a Japanese franchise and they are sorta meant to represent Japanese kids.

I still want something different than Fair-skinned tho. Because except some trainers they are pretty much all with Brown Hairs, Blue Eyes and Fair-skin.

And the male well since Gen 5 they pretty much all look the same.

At least Gen 6 had customization and had the choice of skin.

Back