• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Metal thread.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2012
    Are there really no metal fans here who are willing to make a thread? I couldn't find one. Discuss this wonderful genre of music here.

To attempt to kickstart discussion, my favorites in the genre (sub genre in parentheses) are currently:

Buzzov*en (Sludge metal)
    Iskald (Black metal)
    Edge of Sanity (Death metal)
    Skinless (Death metal)
    Curl Up and Die (Metalcore)
    Pandora's Dawn (Metalcore)
    Destroyer 666 (Black/Death/Thrash metal)
    Enslaved (Progressive/Black metal) I saw this band live last year, great show.
    Death Angel (Thrash metal)
    Pig Destroyer (Deathgrind)

Also, metalheads (oh, I hate that term) are prone to rage. Try to keep flaming to a minimum.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Not as fond of metal as I used to be, though I've still got quite a few bands I still follow.

Anathema (not sure you could really consider them metal anymore, nevertheless their Metal material was fantastic)
    Dream Theater
    Porcupine Tree (eeh kinda on that prog rock/metal fence)
    Opeth
    Katatonia
    Riverside
    Evergrey
    Paradise Lost
    Draconian
    Ghost Brigade
    Novembre
    Scar Symmetry
    Swallow the Sun
    Killswitch Engage
    In Flames
    Soilwork
    Between the Buried and Me

Probably about it at this point... haha wow, more bands than I thought. As you can see, heavy into "progressive" and melodic stuff. I used to be a big doom metal fan, though I sadly don't follow much of that scene anymore.

I see you're interested in Black Metal. Have you checked out Wolves in the Throne Room? (Have always heard good things about this group) And possibly Burzum (the guy's a friggin maniac though apparently a rather pioneering musician.) Black Metal... never could get into it to be honest.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Undead Corporation is a good one that I just found... I'm really getting into death metal a lot more now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Also, metalheads (oh, I hate that term) are prone to rage.

Hahahaha

Not into much metal but the few I do like, I really like.

Absolute favourites are Godflesh, Jesu and anything else with Justin Broadrick in it, Altar of Plagues, Alcest, Cynic, Riverside, Mastodon, Burzum and Gojira.

As JP said, Burzum and Wolves in the Throne Room are amongst the best if you're into black metal. I'd also recommend Summoning and Bathory.

Only problem I have with a lot of metal is the vocals. I love Burzum but I cannot listen to his first album because the vocals are just terrible. Otherwise I'd be a much bigger fan; it's difficult to find vocals I like.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • I prefer the oldschool stuff. You know, Megadeth, Motörhead, Metallica, Iron Maiden...
    Dream Theater are a pretty good band too. And I also listen to a couple of Slayer's songs whenever I feel like bursting my energy out through some serious headbanging. |m/

As long as they sing with clean vocals, not screams, it's fine for me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I haven't listened to metal in a while, but I still like Ozzy era Black Sabbath and Electric Wizard

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Hell yeah dude. I'm typically about the older stuff, I can't stand the whole -core ****. Some favorites, grouped basically by genre or probably just as I think of them -

Bolt Thrower
    Morbid Angel
    Grave
    Unleashed
    Entombed
    Dismember
    Carcass
    Death
    Dissection (JP, should check them out if you haven't already, Thulcandra is another band that totally ripped their sound but do it pretty well)
    Aura Noir
    Waklevoren
    - to avoid making an obnoxiously long list, Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Orcustus, Averse Sefira, Azaghal, Cathedral, Black Witchery, Electric Wizard, etc etc etc

Plug for boyfriend's traditional/melodic metal band, Widow, that some may like (and they'll be touring the east and west coast in August/September, respectively). I'm not a huge fan but yanno.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Dissection (JP, should check them out if you haven't already, Thulcandra is another band that totally ripped their sound but do it pretty well)

Yeah, I've checked out Dissection in the past. They didn't really tickle my fancy. :( Not really many Black Metal groups that interest me. Dissection did however, for some reason, remind me of a band I enjoyed named Axamenta. Their Ever-Arch-I-Tech-Ture album is pretty fantastic. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

And as a sidenote to the topic, I highly suggest that more people become familiar with this fantastic album. I love this album, I used to listen to it all the time. Matter of fact, might just give it a spin later on. Highly suggested if you're interested in bands like Opeth.

hyperblast81

Thou who art Baylife
    Years
  • Ahh Metal, how wonderous you are, having me busting stuff up one moment, then bursting out in tears the next. I mean, I love it. Simple as that.

I would make a top 10 list, but .. too shallow.. so yeah. Metal's awesome, and bleh, Deathcore and metalcore, whilst not truely being metal, can still have some good bands. I gotta say, the only metal I really don't like is industrial, and some old-school black metal..

shu

so alone so lost inside
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2017
    ah yes metal. I mostly listen to power metal like DragonForce,Blind Guardian,Dragonland,Helloween etc. but i also listen to alot of death metal Amon amarth,cannibal corpse,chiildren of bodom,as i lay dying etc. I like mostly guitar music like buckethead,steve vai,joe satriani,jack thammarat,jerry c etc.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
  • I'm primarily into stuff like Motorhead and Blue Cheer these days, those early proto-metal groups that made the movement jumpstart...but I'm mostly into doom/stoner/thrash/power metal. I don't really care for death metal, but I don't mind black metal.

I'm into bands like Slayer, Reverend Bizarre, Sonata Arctica, Luca Turilli, Sodom, Vanilla Fudge, Kyuss, Orange Goblin...Snapcase, Integrity, Racetraitor when it comes to more metalcore stuff.

Are there really no metal fans here who are willing to make a thread? I couldn't find one. Discuss this wonderful genre of music here.

To attempt to kickstart discussion, my favorites in the genre (sub genre in parentheses) are currently:

Buzzov*en (Sludge metal)
    Iskald (Black metal)
    Edge of Sanity (Death metal)
    Skinless (Death metal)
    Curl Up and Die (Metalcore)
    Pandora's Dawn (Metalcore)
    Destroyer 666 (Black/Death/Thrash metal)
    Enslaved (Progressive/Black metal) I saw this band live last year, great show.
    Death Angel (Thrash metal)
    Pig Destroyer (Deathgrind)

Also, metalheads (oh, I hate that term) are prone to rage. Try to keep flaming to a minimum.

I quoted you because I thought it was neat you knew Buzzov*en - they're actually somewhat of a local band to me, as is Weedeater, and I kind of know "Dixie" Dave - he works at a local head shop, and sells incense and bongs to a few friends of mine. I've met him when I've gone with them. He's really cool and he'll talk about Southern Lord and stuff if you ask.

Years
  • I love Metal, even though Metal is such a vague genre to use these days.

The Black Dahlia Murder
    Between The Buried And Me
    Periphery
    The Air I Breathe
    Iwrestledabearonce
    Misery Signals
    After The Burial
    Thy Art Is Murder
    Just to name a few.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    There were a few other metal threads, but they die fairly quickly from what I've noticed. Hopefully this one will stay alive.

Anyway, a few of many bands I'm into:

- Woe, Is Me
    - The Devil Wears Prada
    - Whitechapel
    - IWRESTLEDABEARONCE
    - Underoath
    - The Word Alive
    - Asking Alexandria
    - Chelsea Grin
    - Born of Osiris
    - The Plot in You
    - Scarlett O'Hara

...and many, many more. :)

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • Meshuggah, Gojira, and anything Devin Townsend makes. With Gojira, there was a point where I couldn't stop listening to the From Mars to Sirius album. I am getting bored with them though so it's relieving to know that they're releasing some new material soon (and I'm aware that some songs were leaked).

LIKE THIS ONE. I was a bit in tears and wanted to scream my head off when I first became aware. My musical fantasy has become reality.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Have you heard the Devin Townsend Project's latest album? He's going back to his silly Ziltoid side which made a really fun album, imo; I loved most of the guest appearances as well.

Gunn said:
    LIKE THIS ONE. I was a bit in tears and wanted to scream my head off when I first became aware. My musical fantasy has become reality.
    THANK YOU BASED GUNN

JP said:
    And as a sidenote to the topic, I highly suggest that more people become familiar with this fantastic album.
    I'm enjoying this one as well.

I often hear praise for this band as well. Not a big fan myself, thought I'd throw it out there for people to try.

Last edited:

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • What, you mean Ghost? I've heard of it, but haven't actually listened to any of the songs. I'm really anticipating what "Kawaii" is... for some reason. l:

and Eeveon's right, guys; let's keep this thread going! Old news, but how does anyone feel about the Big Four?

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    and Eeveon's right, guys; let's keep this thread going! Old news, but how does anyone feel about the Big Four?

Old Metallica & Megadeth rule - Rust in Peace & And Justice for All are two of my favorite albums. Haven't liked a whole lot of the newest Metallica. Same for Slayer and Anthrax, though I was never a huge Anthrax fan. Ironically I heard the latter performed the best during the Big Four tour.

For anyone in particular: what've you been spinning lately? I haven't been able to get enough of Napalm Death's Harmony Corruption. Here's a favorite, which also features Chuck Schuldiner (Death) on vocals at the end:

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • The Big Four? Metallica and Megadeth are awesome. That's what I have to say. Megadeth is my favourite band. Their first five albums and the last two are absolutely great (Rust In Peace and So Far, So Good... So What? are my favourites). About Metallica, I like their albums Ride the Lightning and ...And Justice For All. Master of Puppets is good too.

Never listened to much Anthrax to say anything about them, but I heard that they are pretty good. Slayer... they're good too, I listen to them whenever I want to headbang hard. But it's not something I listen much to. Also I'm not a fan of their guitar solos, it's way too much distortion. Though their riffs are great.

It's really nice that the biggest bands of Thrash Metal are touring together. Maybe that'll unite the Metal fans and, being the awesome bands they are, it's guaranteed that there will be great shows wherever they go.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    The Big Four? Metallica and Megadeth are awesome. That's what I have to say. Megadeth is my favourite band. Their first five albums and the last two are absolutely great (Rust In Peace and So Far, So Good... So What? are my favourites). About Metallica, I like their albums Ride the Lightning and ...And Justice For All. Master of Puppets is good too.

Never listened to much Anthrax to say anything about them, but I heard that they are pretty good. Slayer... they're good too, I listen to them whenever I want to headbang hard. But it's not something I listen much to. Also I'm not a fan of their guitar solos, it's way too much distortion. Though their riffs are great.

It's really nice that the biggest bands of Thrash Metal are touring together. Maybe that'll unite the Metal fans and, being the awesome bands they are, it's guaranteed that there will be great shows wherever they go.
    I liked Megadeth when I was a Freshman, haven't been able to listen to them since; Same with Metallica and Slayer. I don't really like thrash at all.

But I still listen to Belladonna era Anthrax every once in awhile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Belladonna

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    Maybe not entirely considered as metal... I love Alter Bridge. It's more like alternative-metal. White Knuckles (song) is f.e. pretty awesome ;)

Back