• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The middle pokemon always sucks!

Years
Now that I think about it, at least with the starters, most of the time I prefer the middle evolutions as opposed to their final evolutions. o_O I don't really like most of the final evolutions. Huh.

For non-starters, I tend to like middle stages, too, but I'm more likely to like their final evolutions too.

Years
I sort of understand what you're saying. At least with the starters they're made to look cute first and by the end they're meant to look all big and strong and badass. Inbetween they're kind of a mix and if you like just the badassery or the cuteness then maybe they don't look so great for you.

Me, I don't like Charmeleon, but then I don't care for that line in the first place.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I take LOTS of exception to this. Grovyle is awesome. I like Charmeleon and several other middle evos too.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
well I like pikachu a lot and technically pikachu is a second evolution pokemon. I believe pikachu has more abilities I can and will actually use in battle. I do not like the starter pokemon's second evolution either honestly. At least it holds me off, I get very impatient when evolving pokemon so it makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere. I do not believe charmellion is that bad, I mean he (in my opinion) is much better than ivysaur and/or croconaw(Way too tired to think so please correct me if I am wrong with the spelling etc) but still not as good as charizard. I think the third evolutions are usually only for the looks etc because if you wait to evolve your second pokemon you'll get abilities you wouldn't get when you evolve it a third time (I am positive everyone already knows that just had to restate it.)

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
Years
roselia is pretty awesome.
their designs are much less ostentatious and pretentious than roserade and they aren't as saccharine and toothachingly sweet as budew.

however, i do kinda agree on the cacoons and chrysalises.
they're too underpowered, and even though their designs are interesting, they have nothing much to offer D:

magmar and electabuzz are pretty cool too

2nd stage pokemon who evolve by stones or trade are pretty decent... such as poliwhirl and machoke

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
Two things:
1. Middle Evo's don't always suck. I like Dewott, but forgot to press 'B' when he turned into Samurott. Curses.

2. Why are people blurting out "The Greatest People Ever" randomly in all caps?

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
Two things:
1. Middle Evo's don't always suck. I like Dewott, but forgot to press 'B' when he turned into Samurott. Curses.

2. Why are people blurting out "The Greatest People Ever" randomly in all caps?

Applesauce. I've always never really cared about middle evos. Mostly because they are branching in to something better. With an exception to Dewott.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Not really. In some cases (in relation to starters), the middle Pokemon is the best of the bunch. Let's see... There's Ivysaur, Wartortle, Quilava, Grovyle, Dewott and that's about all I can think of. There would be some others which I could think of if I really wanted to, but I don't really want to think of them at all.

Oh, and Dragonair. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't think the middle evolved Pokemon suck at all. Take a look at Dewott for instance. Some of the middle evolved forms make sense, like Metapod, Kakuna, Silcoon and Cascoon.

Years
Wartortle is one of my favourite pokemon and I like him much better than Blastoise. I like Machoke, Charmeleon and Marshtomp too. Many of my other favourite pokemon are second stage pokemon.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
most fo the time, this is true, but sometimes it isn't, metang for instance is very cool, and vibrava. cumbusken isn't that bad, and i can't think of any others, although i know they exist !!!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
With regards to the starters especially, I imagine a reason for disgruntlement is that the middle Pokemon lack the cuteness of the starters themselves and the power of their final forms. They're essentially the teenagers of Pokemon: gangly, pimply, unsure of themselves and their bodies.

That's actually a good definition for the "middle stages" of starter Pokemon lines. XD

Yeah...I've always viewed the middle stages as a bit...offset from the other two stages. It feels like the first and third stages were designed first, and the middle stage is simply a filler species or an afterthought; something to bridge the gap between the first and third stages. This is more evident, IMO, with Combusken, Marshtomp, Grovyle (to an extent), Charmeleon, Monferno, Prinplup, Grotle, Pignite, and Servine. Save for Grovyle, Charmeleon, and Pignite, the other names sound sort of...uninspired. I mean, with Grotle, they used the same prefix of Generation 3's middle stage, Grovyle. Monferno takes the other part of "inferno" that Infernape didn't use, and Prinplup isn't all that different from Piplup. Servine and Pignite partially sound like weak attempts at portmanteau-ing different words...

Generations 1 and 2 don't seem to have the middle stages clash with the other stages as much as other Generations do...

Spr_4d_256_m.png
Spr_4d_259.png
Spr_4d_253.png
Spr_4p_391.png
Spr_4p_394.png
Spr_4p_388.png
Spr_5b_499.png
Spr_5b_496.png

I don't know...it's just that these guys look a bit funky with unnecessary details compared to their pre-evolutions and evolutions... I guess it's just down to opinion. It's a shame that these stages get shafted so much...typically, you start with the first stage, so that's probably the more memorable and nostalgic one you fondly think back on, while you pretty much go through the rest of the Pokemon's life in its final stage where maximum growth is to be achieved, so people are likely to be much more accustomed to the final stages in the games... The middle stages are kind of like a temporary puberty or growth spurt... :\

Porygon2 is a mid-staged pokémon that's often regarded as more useful in competitive play then its evolution. Even before Evolite was implemented, Porygon2 saw use comparable with Porygon-Z in early DP, due to the fact that it not only had higher defenses then Porygon-Z, but it was also the bulkiest pokémon with Trace available, as Porygon-Z always loses Trace in place of Adaptability upon evolving. Combining Trace with it's respectable defenses and offenses, ability to use Recover plus electric and ice attacks, Porygon2 could take down things such as Salamance, Gyrados, and Heatran with ease, making it highly coveted, until Hitmonlee version released Outrage to Mence, rendering Porygon2 much less effective at countering what it was most needed to. This combined with crazy issues eventually caused it to fall back to the depths of being a situational pokémon only useful for setting up Trick-Room...Until Stunfisk and White came out.

Rising from formally being (quite literally) considered obsolete to one of the best defensive pokémon in the Blanket, Evolite gave Porygon2 the exact thing it needed to be able to handle Salamence again, and not only that either. With Trace and its boosted defenses, Porygon2 can also fight toe-to-toe with Hydreigon, Garchomp, Rayquaza (Try and use Porygon-Z for that, heh) and more! As Trick-Room also gained recognition as a viable strategy with the help of a certain green blob, Porygon2 can also show off its utility as a support pokémon, using its quirky move-pool to the best of its abilities, with an improved Magic Coat and recovery abilities being its main points.

On the converse, Porygon-Z is actually falling bellow Porygon2's usage level from the increased usage of fighting types along with the introduction of Genosect, a pok
émon with Download which though hits somewhat lighter, has a much more stable defensive type along with a higher speed. Whether Porygon-Z will see increased usage for whatever reason remains to be seen.

Ironically, one can say that Porygon-Z did in fact make Porygon2 a better poké
mon, even if it did so through rather indirect means.

I heard that Porygon-2 was at times more formidable than Porygon-Z, but I didn't know it was more skilled than its evo to the point where it can challenge Rayquaza. 0_0 I'll still likely evolve Porygon-2 to Porygon-Z, but the fact that Porygon-2 is a threat in itself is pretty intriguing...

My Metapod named 'Penis' used Harden, rendering the OP's point invalid.

Noob out.

Eww...

In any case, there are several "middle-stage" Pokemon I enjoy; it's just when the middle stage looks a bit disconnected from its pre-evo and evo that I view it a bit differently...

Last edited:

Garde

Fallen Angel
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2015
Oh PUHLEASE.
Wartortle is the coolest Pokemon of all the other starters' stages put together. And Dewott is a lot more popular than Samurott.
Oh yeah...and don't forget how much Dragonite gets bashed because so many people would rather keep themselves a Dragonair.

I greatly prefer Kirlia over Gardevoir because she's so much cuter. The same with Gothorita. And Herdier is a lot better looking than Stoutland, it actually looks like a dog rather than some creepy pincushion.

Porygon2 is a mid-staged pokémon that's often regarded as more useful in competitive play then its evolution. Even before Evolite was implemented, Porygon2 saw use comparable with Porygon-Z in early DP, due to the fact that it not only had higher defenses then Porygon-Z, but it was also the bulkiest pokémon with Trace available, as Porygon-Z always loses Trace in place of Adaptability upon evolving.

Ironically, one can say that Porygon-Z did in fact make Porygon2 a better poké
mon, even if it did so through rather indirect means.
Huh. Never really knew how much Porygon-2 was favored, though I've been seeing it more lately on teams. Kinda makes me sad though, because I love Z so much! I love all the Porygon stages but I just love the final form's spastic personality.
I don't think I'd be able to resist ever not evolving my 2, even if he is superior in battle.

Last edited:
Back