• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Badge 2/8

Spoiler:

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Badge 3/8

Spoiler:

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Badge 6/8

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Badge 7/8

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 7 – Badge 8/8

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 8 – Elite Four (not the finale :()

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype – Part 9 – N/Ghetsis (finale)

Sorry for huge screenshots but...

Spoiler:

Pokemon Black Bug Monotype FIN!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Pokemon Y Grass Monotype

Starter + Gyms 1-2
Spoiler:

Gyms 3-4
Spoiler:

Gyms 5-6
Spoiler:

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Champion pose!
Spoiler:
I haven't spent much time reading everyone else's posts in detail, just skimming, but I just want to say I love that team. I feel most of those Pokemon are super good and really underappreciated.

I also 100% agree with you about hating how the Ho-Oh/Lugia section was shoehorned in and forced. It makes me never want to do a challenge run of SoulSilver because you'd have to backtrack even further for it. I completely forgot this was even a thing, honestly.

Can I point out how much better you are at nicknames than me too? I'm terrible, but I feel obligated to name my Pokemon so I just name them the first thing that comes to mind.

And as for you saying you've never beaten a Pokemon game in less than 12hrs (and that 12:01 for ORAS was the fastest you'd ever done), my current record is 3hrs 54 mins in Gold (on console, well, the GameBoy Player) using only Feraligatr. I haven't tried to speed through any of the others, other than Let's Go Pika and that took me 4hrs 45 mins roughly. I know I can definitely beat that Let's Go time though, but I have no interest right now.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
I haven't spent much time reading everyone else's posts in detail, just skimming, but I just want to say I love that team. I feel most of those Pokemon are super good and really underappreciated.

I also 100% agree with you about hating how the Ho-Oh/Lugia section was shoehorned in and forced. It makes me never want to do a challenge run of SoulSilver because you'd have to backtrack even further for it. I completely forgot this was even a thing, honestly.

Can I point out how much better you are at nicknames than me too? I'm terrible, but I feel obligated to name my Pokemon so I just name them the first thing that comes to mind.

And as for you saying you've never beaten a Pokemon game in less than 12hrs (and that 12:01 for ORAS was the fastest you'd ever done), my current record is 3hrs 54 mins in Gold (on console, well, the GameBoy Player) using only Feraligatr. I haven't tried to speed through any of the others, other than Let's Go Pika and that took me 4hrs 45 mins roughly. I know I can definitely beat that Let's Go time though, but I have no interest right now.

Yeah the team actually ended up pretty good! I was very sceptical before starting HG, because I couldn't really remember much variation in Johto but I was pleasantly surprised and its made me see some Pokemon like Jumpluff for example in a whole new light.
And thanks about the nicknames, tbh I kind of felt like mine were a tad boring but maybe everyone feels that way about the way they do it?
Also at your game times, WOW, are you a machine?:laugh-squinted:
I guess I'm just a slow player.

Years
I also tend to take my time exploring, grinding, and so on. I'm playing challenges to have fun, but rushing isn't that much fun to me. That's also why I will likely never speedrun a Pokemon game.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Badge 4/8

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
I basically grew up with gen 4, I adore those games, I must have spent hundreds of hours on Diamond, but whenever I go back and replay them now I find it so difficult, they are sooooo slow, everything feels sluggish to me. And the middling part of the Sinnoh games kind of all blends together. I still love them though. But once I take the nostalgia goggles off I see the flaws. I also think the Pokedex kind of sucked, not much variety. Personally I'm kind of dreading my grass challenge when I get to Sinnoh. I'll have to go for honey trees as well to find Cherubi and Burmy. Sigh.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
I basically grew up with gen 4, I adore those games, I must have spent hundreds of hours on Diamond, but whenever I go back and replay them now I find it so difficult, they are sooooo slow, everything feels sluggish to me. And the middling part of the Sinnoh games kind of all blends together. I still love them though. But once I take the nostalgia goggles off I see the flaws. I also think the Pokedex kind of sucked, not much variety. Personally I'm kind of dreading my grass challenge when I get to Sinnoh. I'll have to go for honey trees as well to find Cherubi and Burmy. Sigh.
I don't think Sinnoh is necessarily bad, nor do I have the same sentiment regarding nostalgia. I think Platinum is still a very good game beyond being pretty slow and sluggish until you get the bike, but this team in particular is just completely not fun to use due to the lack of variety. It feels like I'm running 5 of the same Pokemon + Yanma, as Yanma is the only one out of all of them with a completely unique movepool. I get 3 of them technically *are* the same Pokemon, but still, there's no excuse for Mothim and even Vespiquen, who has nothing to do with that line, to have such a similar learnset. The other games were challenging but fun because a lot of the bugs had unique mechanics and movepools to exploit (Shuckle, Shedinja, Forretress), or interesting types (Galvantula, Crustle, Armaldo) that made them stand out, but this is just 3 Wormadam + 3 Bug/Flying types, all of whom have little to offer in regards to a niche.
Honey trees are an awful mechanic which I'm glad they got rid of too. I'm really burnt out from how sluggish and boring Platinum has been and I feel like I might need a break for a few days before continuing the challenge, and when I do I'll probably move onto Y for the time being (which I actually have interesting plans for) and go back to Platinum later. This is some of the least fun I've had with a Pokemon game and it's depressing.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Yeah it must be a chore having to essentially use Pokemon that are basically the same, with the same type of attacks and weaknesses and movepools. I've never used Mothim or any of the Wormadam's although I plan to use the grass one when I do my playthrough, but I'm not looking forward to it. Also I agree on the honey trees, those sucked.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Badge 5/8

Spoiler:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Introduction/Analysis

Spoiler:

Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Badge 1/8

Spoiler:

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Here's the signups and progress for all the challenges I've done across all the previous Monotype threads. Don't feel like going back for all the links as they're spread out between like 3 different threads. Only one completed is Ice, though I'm close for Rock, Normal, and Bug.

Forum User Name: TheCrystalFlaaffy
Game(s): Fire Red | Silver | Emerald | Platinum | Volt White | Y | Sun (Complete)
Pokémon Type: Ice
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Game(s): Red | Crystal | Emerald | Platinum | Blaze Black | Y | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Rock

Game(s): Leaf Green | Soul Silver | Emerald | Platinum | White | Y | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Normal

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald | Pearl | White | Y | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Bug

Game(s): Leaf Green | Soul Silver | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White | | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Ghost

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald | Platinum | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Water

Game(s): Blue | Crystal | Emerald (0/8) | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Fighting

Game(s): Heart Gold (0/16) | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Dark

Game(s): Blue (0/8) | Crystal (0/8) | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum (0/8) | White (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Pokémon Type: Grass

Years
So I've been stalking for long enough, time for me to sign up!

Forum User Name: Kimborelli
Game(s): FireRed, Heart Gold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon
Pokémon Type: Gonna be the start of the ULTIMATE ultimate, Bug

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Badges 2 & 3

Spoiler:

Lith97

Mockingbird
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 3, 2019
Forum User Name: Lith97
Game(s): Emerald
Pokémon Type: Fighting
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Badge 6 & 7

Spoiler:

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 7 – Team Galactic's Plan

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Water Monotype Challenge - Third Update
Heart Gold | Marko

40px-Zephyr_Badge.png
40px-Hive_Badge.png
40px-Plain_Badge.png
40px-Fog_Badge.png
40px-Storm_Badge.png
40px-Mineral_Badge.png
40px-Glacier_Badge.png
40px-Rising_Badge.png

So our trek continues! First we went and faced the Red Gyarados, defeating it (as we used Gyarados during FireRed we couldn't use it) and met Lance! He asked us to help get rid of Team Rocket in town so off we went and easily defeated them. After that was one we went and beat Pryce after! It wasn't a difficult battle between Chalupa's Spark and Enchilada's rollout and revenge. Believe some other member also helped but I can't remember the details, admittedly.

Then we went and grinded because apparently trying to beat Polo's Meganium at the levels I'm at isn't exactly an easy task. Didn't grind as much as I wanted to (I'm... really bad at grinding) but between the Signal Beam that Chalupa won and Taco's Wing Attack we managed to take it down and beat Polo! Then we went and defeated Team Rocket as a whole and moved on to get our last badge!

Clair was as expected. A little difficult but beat her in one try. Enchilada used Toxic Spikes at the beginning of battle and that helped take out her second Dragonair and bring down Kingdra. Then of course we went to the Dragon Den to pick up our badge!

Now its... time for more grinding. Ideally at least level 45 for everyone, but that's a lot of leveling so at the very least Level 40 and we'll just take a bunch of items in like we always do! On the bright side Johto's League isn't necessarily difficult for Water types. So guess we'll see what happens!

feraligatr.png

Tortilla (Feraligatr) ♂
Naughty | Torrent | Level 36
Ice Fang, Crunch, Waterfall, Rage

quagsire-f.png

Burrito (Quagsire) ♀
Hardy | Water Absorb | Level 36 @ Quick Claw
Waterfall, Headbutt, Amnesia, Earthquake

slowpoke.png

Chimi (Slowpoke) ♂
Bashful | Own Tempo | Level 35
Curse, Strength, Zen Headbutt, Water Pulse

lanturn.png

Chalupa (Lanturn) ♀
Bashful | Volt Absorb | Level 36
Stockpile, Surf, Signal Beam, Spark

qwilfish.png

Enchilada (Qwilfish) ♂
Quirky | Poison Point | Level 35
Revenge, Toxic Spikes, Waterfall, Rollout

mantine.png

Taco (Mantine) ♀
Docile | Water Absorb | Level 35 @ Sharp Beak
Surf, BubbleBeam, Headbutt, Wing Attack

HM Slaves
oddish.png
wooper.png

Last edited:
Years
I've yet to really struggle against a gym leader yet despite having the disadvantage in Grant's case, and I don't really know the gym leaders after this point, so we'll have to see.

That's because Gen 6 is just a big joke in general, and even more so when you turn on Exp Share. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get an actual challenge out of that game. Although I must admit I never bothered to try it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
That's because Gen 6 is just a big joke in general, and even more so when you turn on Exp Share. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get an actual challenge out of that game. Although I must admit I never bothered to try it.

I've actually been struggling with my playthrough of Y, the struggle being it keeping my interest, its *SO* easy its unreal, most of the time I can concentrate on something else and just click A until the battle is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back