• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Quick Question to all the monotypers out there: In Pokemon Emerald there are three Ice types, Spheal, Snorunt and Regice. Spheal and Snorunt are found just before the 7th gym and we all know Regice is a pain to get, the rules states that if any of your pokemon are unobtainable before the second gym, you can hack them in. Now my question is whether it'd be ok for me to Hack in both Spheal and Snorunt for my team, otherwise I'd be basically Soloing the game with either until the 7th gym and getting Regice is too much of a pain so I won't be including it in the team.

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
Ultimate Water Monotype: Johto, Part Three

Session 5:

Spoiler:

Session 6:

Spoiler:

Elite Four gets its own write up:

Spoiler:

Championship Team:
Fang - Feraligatr (m, Rash, Torrent) lvl 48
Axolittle - Quagsire (f, Docile, Water Absorb) lvl 46
Lumi - Lanturn (f, Mild, Volt Absorb) lvl 47
Nessie - Lapras (f, Jolly, Water Absorb) lvl 47

HM slaves:
Rua the Red Gyarados (Strength, Whirlpool)
Skarmory (Flash, Cut, Fly)

Probably going to come back for another session or two to do Kanto and the battle with Red, but that's the main storyline done.

Years
Quick Question to all the monotypers out there: In Pokemon Emerald there are three Ice types, Spheal, Snorunt and Regice. Spheal and Snorunt are found just before the 7th gym and we all know Regice is a pain to get, the rules states that if any of your pokemon are unobtainable before the second gym, you can hack them in. Now my question is whether it'd be ok for me to Hack in both Spheal and Snorunt for my team, otherwise I'd be basically Soloing the game with either until the 7th gym and getting Regice is too much of a pain so I won't be including it in the team.
I think it's okay to hack both of them. Personally I would hack one as starter and one after first/second Gym.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Ice Mono for Emerald:

Album: https://imgur.com/a/1Hr8d7i

Final Team:
eDZGIMg.png
AHnFuwW.png
6mMT1Be.png

32oIGST.png
L6Zqlxd.png
kVRFQ5j.png

Last edited:
Years

Poison

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

KANTO
Spoiler:

Last edited:

starryAstrophysicist

Gazing up at the sun, moon, and stars
Years
Ultimate Electric Monotype Challenge - Alola Johto Kalos​

why did this take so long to do
I finished up Pokemon X after a few weeks. I spent like a week grinding in the Battle Chateau for the fancy Lumiose City outfits, so my Pokemon were hilariously overleveled by the end of the run, but whatever.

Pokemon League

Sorvete

Novice
Years
I'm not sure if I already registered here, but I'm in. I'm thinking of dropping some of my challenges for now, and stay only with the Bingo and the Hexalocke, and also this Monotype, obviously. Gonna do a single challenge for now.

Code:
[COLOR="SlateGrey"]Forum Name:[/COLOR] SorveteQuente
[COLOR="SlateGrey"]Game:[/COLOR] Blaze Black 2 (Hack of Black 2)
[COLOR="SlateGrey"]Type:[/COLOR] Psychic
[COLOR="SlateGrey"]Single Challenge[/COLOR]

Years

Ultimate Dragon Monotype in Pokémon Fire Red

dragonite.png
dragonite.png

FINAL PART

Okay, I finally finished 1st part of my Dragon Ultimate run. I really didn't have much time to play, so this run took about half a year of 10 minutes sessions. But I still managed to somehow enjoy this. Mostly because of the pure power two full grown dragons have. I can't wait to play through Unova and Sinnoh with their regional dragons.

Anyway, back to this run. It took too much time to level Dratini at the start of the game. It needs tons of EXP and it has pretty bad moveset in Fire Red. But I somehow beat Brock with only Twister. The early game was slow, but once my starter Dratini - Mythbuster, evolved into Dragonair, it got the right tempo.

But then I got to Celadon City. This part was interesting. I went in the Game Corner in the winter and got outside at the start of spring. And no, I don't have a gambling problem. During this time I got another Dratini - Mythalive and bunch of new moves. And this run turned into a speedrun since then. There wasn't an opponent I couldn't OHKO. The two dragons made perfect pair of destruction. Imagine what I could do to King's Landing with these two bastards.

I've been steamrolling everything in my way until E4. Each of the E4 was able to take down 1 of my dragons, but at cost of their every Pokémon. And that's pretty much it. This was really straightforward run, but I'm glad I finally started this Ultimate, which I planned on doing since August.

Here's Hall of Fame with not only my dragons, but also my 2 HM slaves - Oddish with Flash and Cut and Primeape with Strength, that I forgot to box in the heat of the moment.
hTI77NT.png

Team

dragonite.png

Mythbuster, Serious Male Dragonite
lvl 63, Inner Focus
- Outrage
- Surf
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

dragonite.png

Mythalive, Mild Female Dragonite
lvl 62, Inner Focus
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt​

Sorvete

Novice
Years
A Psychic Monotype Challenge
in
Pokémon Blaze Black 2

Part 1 - Diagnosis

Spoiler:

A new challenge has started, and I'm pretty excited about it. There are lots of Psychic-types I wanted to use in this run, but I had to reduce that number to 6, I'm not feeling like rotating my team around or anything. It'll still be fun though. I'm also gonna be playing on challenge mode because I can.

So yeah, that's pretty much it for the introduction. To the actual game, I just picked Tepig for no reason, and Hugo already owned an Oshawott. As usual we had a battle blah blah blah and I won. There were no psychics in the first route, so I had to go a little further to get my real first member of the team. I caught a male Ralts (I bet you're already guessing what's coming, heh?) in Route 21, and named him Lettuce. Then I met Hiago again at the Ranch and Lettuce had his first battle. It was quite easy, a few confusions were enough and Hugh's AI is shit. Where's the challenge in this mode, huh?

Well uh... I might have accidentaly died to a trainer's Poochyena while training Ralts (he had no non-Psychic damaging moves!), so I guess I learned my lesson. I needed a mon to counter Dark-types, so I went to get a Hoothoot back in Route 20. Her name is Hedwig. Levelled both of them to level 15 for the upcoming gym, and then I completed the ranch's quest thing.

On my way to the gym, I realized my Pokémon had contracted pokérus! Must have been during a random battle in the grass, but that's pretty lucky (What an insensitive thing to say). I decided to pass it to Tepig and store him in the PC box to farm a little, hehe. God, I'm a terrible trainer.

In the gym, I had a surprise meeting with Roxanne, the Hoenn gym leader! Well, not really a surprise since I knew she was there, but whatever. We had a battle. Apparently you can battle all Hoenn gym leaders in this game for some reason. Her team was Hoenn's fossils and Nosepass, all holding a berry juice (which is freaking annoying), but I managed to trick her with Double Team Ralts and spam Psybeam on their faces. It was easy, and lucky. Speaking of luck though...

The Gym Battle

Spoiler:

A full team of six, and Munchlax as his ace. It looks scary, I know, but RNG was on my side with this one. I led with Hoothoot to setup a little bit with Reflect, and also put Minccino to sleep with Hypnosis. Then I switched to Ralts and immediatly started attacking him. At one point I decided to set up a few Double Teams, but after he Worked Up a fair few times, I quit the strategy. Then reality hit me like a ball when I realized his Minccino had Swift, and all the Double Teams I did were completely pointless. Fortunately, Cheren was clever enough to keep using Work Up, and I KO'ed the Minccino. From this point onwards, it felt like Work Up was the only move all of his team knew, because that's what he kept using over and over. And then Munchlax came to the field. Psybeam didn't do shit to his bulk, and he had Metronome! Though I remember the only move that came out of it was Safeguard, so that's a plus. I ended that thing's lifespan with a few more Psybeams, and that's the end of the battle! Woo! Basic Badge obtained!

TEAM

ralts.gif

Ralts (Lettuce) | Hardy nature | Synchronize
Level 17
Psybeam
Confusion
Double Team
Teleport

hoothoot.gif

Hoothoot (Hedwig) | Hardy nature | Insomnia
Level 16
Confusion
Peck
Hypnosis
Reflect

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
The adventure of Pest, the bug catcher

He caught some bugs. Namely Paralysect in a Fast Ball. Paras. Sadly does not have Effect Spore
Hera the Heracross. She's a Hercules beetle. Caught in a Net Ball
And in the extravagant Bug Cathing Contest we caught a whopping GRASSHOPPR the Scyther. All female bug type Pokémon lol.
Needs to evolve into a Scizor to keep the Pokémon and Pokeball color matching scheme going.

What exactly are the rules for trading to evolve? Iron Coat doesn't appear until after the elite four (at least in Gold and Silver anyways) can I use platinum to trade and evolve Scyther?

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
Ultimate Water Monotype: Y

This was a pretty quick run, I didn't write anything down while I was going through it, so I'll try to briefly summarize.

Spoiler:

Championship Team:
Lumi - Lanturn lvl 77 @ Expert Belt
Lonely, f, Volt Absorb
Thunderbolt, Surf, Dazzling Gleam, Signal Beam

Frogger - Greninja lvl 79 @ Metronome
Timid, f, Torrent
Surf, Dark Pulse, Smack Down, Grass Knot

Odette - Swanna lvl 79 @ Wide Lens
Quiet, f, Big Pecks
Air Slash, Surf, Fly, Ice Beam

Billie - lvl 80 Barbaracle @ Rocky Helmet
Lax, f, Tough Claws
Rock Tomb, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab, Rock Smash

Octavia - lvl 80 Octillery @ Shell Bell
Lax, f, Sniper
Psychic, Ice Beam, Flamethrower/Energy Ball (swapped out several times depending on which was the most useful coverage at the moment), Surf

Sheldon - lvl 80 Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Docile, m, Torrent/Mega Launcher
Waterfall, Earthquake, Flash Cannon, Brick Break

Other Team Members:
Pita - lvl 37 Golduck (Naive, f, Cloud Nine): Early game psychic support
Nessie - lvl 31 Lapras (Docile, f, Water Absorb): The ice coverage that wasn't
Diggersby - lvl 54 (Hasty, m, Pickup): Cut/Strength/Pickup slave

Final thoughts:
Spoiler:

Years
Alright, so let's do something new here!

Forum User Name: Swagroar
Game(s): X
Pokémon Type: Psychic
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single for the time being (I also did Ultra Moon in the previous thread back in December 2017 but that never counted there)

Spoiler:
Team:
Spoiler:

Years
Kimbo's Mega Monotype Challenge
Type 1: Bug Game 1: Part 5: FINALE

Spoiler:

TEAM
beedrill.png

Duke the Beedrill @N/A
Level 53/Impish/Male/Swarm
Twineedle /Aerial Ace /Secret Power /Brick Break
Thoughts: 5/6 – Was okay in the early game. Then it became less and less useful. Occasional late game moments of redemption were not enough for it to rank any higher.

butterfree.png

Cabbage the Butterfree @N/A
Level 53/Quirky/Female/Compound Eyes
Psychic /Silver Wind/Toxic /Gust
Thoughts: 4/6- Possibly the last one I am gonna be positive about, glass cannon, again I understand it gets better in later games. At its best, its swept the early game and still had uses in the elite 4. At its worst it's a weaker Venomoth.

parasect.png

Monarch the Parasect @N/A
Level 53/Quirky/Female/Effect Spore
Giga Drain/ Slash/ Dig/ Spore
Thoughts: 6/6- Ah boy. Just not good. 100% Accurate sleep is great and has its uses. But that's all it offers. A later pokemon does this type combination a lot better a lot later. AND DOESN'T HAVE SPORE !

pinsir.png

Admiral the Pinsir @N/A
Level 53/Calm/Male/Hyper Cutter
Strength/Seismic Toss/Earthquake/Rock Slide
Thoughts- 3/6- Move Pool is possibly the most diverse , would have been more useful in later games I assume where TM's are multiuse (and it gets its mega) but still bulky and hard hitting.

scyther.png

Brimstone The Scyther @N/A
Level 56/Relaxed/Male/Swarm
Slash /Wing Attack /Steel Wing /Swords Dance
Thoughts: 1/6- MVP – Yes I got him late, and yes the movepool is shallow, however it hits so hard and is so fast its made the elite 4 possible.

venomoth.png

Peacock The Venomoth. @N/A
Level 55/Bold/Male/Shield Dust
Psychic/Silver Wind /Giga Drain /Stun Spore
Thoughts: 2/6- Stun Spore and its special attack made this slightly better than 3rd, was bulky enough to take hits on occasion which did surprise me.

Attachments

• HOF Bug.png
    HOF Bug.png
    11 KB · Views: 1
Years
Because this thread is so active and KingSwing didn't really update the first post for a while, The Undisputed Era decided to take care of this challenge from now on. Please, post your updates in this thread from now on. He promised to transfer all challengers and champions to the new thread, so you can just continue with your run there, without the need to sign-up again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back