• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Badges 4 & 5

Spoiler:

Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Badges 6 & 7

Spoiler:

Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Part 5 – Team Flare & Badge 8

Spoiler:

Pokemon Y Bug Monotype – Part 6 – Elite 4 + End (final part)

Spoiler:

Pokemon Y Bug Monotype FIN!

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
I've hit a wall where I can't really progress fast in any of my bug monotypes, since for the 3DS games, my 2DS battery life is terrible and needs charging every few hours. I can't charge and play as I'd have to sit on the floor to do that, which doesn't sound great. And Platinum, I'm kind of walled in it at the moment, so I'm grinding on the daily trainers, and I'll probably do that every day for a few days before I progress. I can play the DS games on my DSi whilst my 3DS in charging, and I can also play on emulator for GBA. So I'm going to introduce this as a side challenge that I'll be concentrating on less than bug but will still update, and make it my "main" one after I'm done with Bug.

Forum User Name: FactoriesFarAway
Game(s): FireRed, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White, Y, Sun
Pokémon Type: Fighting
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate
Edit: Switched Black 2 to White so I don't have to trade for Throh and Sawk. Just... Cress tho. yikes.

Once again, going to try fitting every new Pokemon added in that generation/region to my team, unless there's too many in which case I'll just pick 6 of them like I did in Ruby. If there's too few, I'll fill up the party with whatever I want, much like I did with Y Bug Monotype.

Pokemon FireRed Fighting Monotype – Part 1 – Badges 1 & 2

Spoiler:

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Sun Bug Monotype – Introduction/Analysis

Spoiler:

Pokemon Sun Bug Monotype – Part 1 – Ilima's Trial

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I just finished a mono-Normal type challenge on my last run through or soul silver. My team when I beat the elite 4 was:
Noctowl lvl45
Miltank lvl45
Tauros lvl43
Kangaskhan lvl41
Garafarig lvl39.
HM slave red gyarados used as a sacrifice to heal
Elite 4 took several tries but finally got it

Years
The Ilima fight. I want to die. People complain about games post gen 5 being easy, but for bug types this battle against Ilima may be one of the toughest in the entire series. For the point in the game he's at, Smeargle is really tough, and it has Ember to boot. I think what move it has depends on what starter you chose, so if I'd have picked Popplio this fight would've been a total joke. But no. In the end, I had to buy an X Special Defend and an X Defend and use them on Grubbin as soon he sent out Smeargle. There was no other way I'd beat this guy. The only fight in the series so far I'd say that was harder than this Ilima one was Steven in RSE, and I'm not exaggerating.

Interesting, I would not have expected that. Like Gen 6, I have only played through Gen 7 once, and I do remember it being too easy for me even with Exp Share off... however, I think it has an extremely weird difficulty curve. It might be the case that the early game is actually tougher than the end game. But I do not have enough experience with Gen 7 to know for sure.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Interesting, I would not have expected that. Like Gen 6, I have only played through Gen 7 once, and I do remember it being too easy for me even with Exp Share off... however, I think it has an extremely weird difficulty curve. It might be the case that the early game is actually tougher than the end game. But I do not have enough experience with Gen 7 to know for sure.
I'll say my fully educated opinion when the entire thing is done, but so far, I'm currently in Lana's trial and the early game in Sun is awful for bugs. It's not quite as bad as having to grind to level 20 before Roxanne in Ruby or having to beat Lenora with a Whirlipede that doesn't obey me in Black, but it's up there.

There's a required double battle before Lana's trial that consists of a Rufflet and Vullaby, and for this point in the game, those two Pokemon are powerful and are super effective against my entire team. There's also a couple of optionals who have Growlithe and an optional with a Carbink and all of those battles were insanely tough with this team. The Carbink one I just flat out skipped after attempting twice and failing, though this Pokemon shouldn't be a problem now I have Dewpider.

It's also worth considering X item spam isn't really as viable in this game as X items received a significant price increase to the extent where you can't really afford a ton of them early. I tended to buy 20 of each except for X Accuracy and Dire Hit once I hit a department store just in case I needed them, but here it's just too steep of an investment when I also need to buy healing items and repels.

I'd imagine the difficulty will drop as time goes on and I get better TMs and items, but right now, this game is packing a punch. It wouldn't be difficult with a well-rounded team, don't get me wrong. But without one, it's tough.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Sun Bug Monotype – Part 2 – Lana's Trial

Spoiler:

Pokemon Sun Bug Monotype – Part 3 – Kiawe and Mallow's Trials

Spoiler:

Pokemon Sun Bug Monotype – Part 4 – Olivia battle + Sophocles and Acerola's trials

Spoiler:

Last edited:

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
I'm only properly getting to read your monotype ultimate , I've skimmed over it until now as I said, and I have a few things to comment on after fully reading it (nothing negative, don't worry, haha)
I was worried about his Quilava but for some reason he kept spamming quick attack like a noob. So no fire attacks.
He did this to me too despite the fact that he'd have had the fight in the bag if he didn't, as I only had Ledian and Ariados on me at the time. I don't understand what's with Silver's AI in this fight and why he chooses to do this even though I know he has Ember in his set. I looked it up to make sure.
Edit: I've come to two possible conclusions as to why he chooses to do this. 1. His AI realises your Pokemon has higher special defense than physical defense, so uses the move correspondent with their defense stats or 2. His AI sees Quick Attack as stronger because it has the same base power and priority. Neither of those could be right, that's just my guess.
trained our butts off on wild Stantler, who give a good amount of EXP at this point in the game
I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the tip.
We then freed the Legendary Cats (don't you tell me they're dogs, they are clearly based off of a lion, a cheetah and a tiger).
I have been saying this for longest time and I'm glad someone finally agrees, though I'd argue that Suicune is more similar to a panther than a cheetah.
I always wondered why a lot of the gym leaders don't even use Johto Pokemon (Faulkner, Bugsy, Morty, Chuck)
This is an interesting question. On Morty & Chuck's part, it makes sense. The only new fighting types are Hitmontop which Bruno uses, and Heracross, which is x4 to Flying, and the only new ghost type is Misdreavus. Though the fact that they didn't give him Misdreavus at all is weird, but then again you oddly can't even get it in Johto in the original games, which might be why. Thankfully this was fixed in HGSS, but Morty's team wasn't. I can't defend Falkner or Bugsy though, there was so many other options for them.

Last edited:
Years
Kimbo's Mega Monotype Challenge
Type 1: Bug Game 1: Part 1: Bolder and Cascade Badge

No team explanation, please be aware the whole Bug Run is a 6 pokemon run, as I can trade in Pinsir this gen which would have been the exception to the rule. Team nicknames are based on species of Butterfly for this run.
Start a new game, pick Bulbasaur, so Gary picks Charmander. Power through the early game till I can catch pokemon. Caught both Cabbage the Caterpie and Duke the Weedle. Trained them both around Route 1. Whilst training both of them evolved into Metapod and Kakuna. Started going through Viridian Forest and they evolved into Butterfree and Beedrill. Went back and beat Gary using Duke to sweep.
Got to Pewter City, went straight to the Gym. Defeated Brock by using Cabbage to defeat Geodude, poisoned Onix, fainted, then Duke stalled the poison out. Gym badge 1 got.
Headed out to Mount Moon. Started walking through. Caught team member number 3, Monarch the Paras. Got through Mt Moon and arrived in Cerulean City. Defeated Gary using Cabbage. Did Nugget Bridge and spoke to Bill before taking on the gym. Defeated Misty, using Cabbage against Staryu, and Monarch to defeat Starmie.

TEAM[/FONT]
beedrill.png

Duke the Beedrill @N/A
Level 20/Impish/Male/Swarm
Twineedle /Poison Sting /Fury Attack /String Shot

butterfree.png

Cabbage the Butterfree @N/A
Level 20/Quirky/Female/Compound Eyes
Confusion /Tackle /Poison Powder /Sleep Powder

paras.png

Monarch the Paras @N/A
Level 21/Quirky/Female/Effect Spore
Bullet Seed/ Leech Life/ Scratch/ Stun Spore

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update on Ultimate Poison Monotype Challenge:

Update #2 on Y.

• Boxed Buzz, then went through Route 10 to Geosenge Town, defeating the Flare Grunts on the way.
  • Defeated Korrina's Lucarios and finally got access to Route 11.
  • Did a bunch of Horde Encounters with Sweet Scent until I finally nabbed Rex the Nidoran♂, who has his Hidden Ability.
  • Went through Reflection Cave, where Rex evolved into Nidorino, and Count evolved into Crobat!
  • Arrived in Shalour City and visited the Tower of Mastery, where I defeated Calem.
  • Took on the gym, and Korrina was easy with Countess and Rex.
  • Got the Mega Ring from Korrina, then moved on through Route 12 to Courmarine City.
  • Got the Good Rod, then backtracked to Route 8, where I caught Seaweed the Skrelp.
  • Trained Seaweed up a bit on the water trainers in the area, then went back to Coumarine City.
  • Took on the gym, and Ramos was as easy as expected with Countess dominating the battle.
  • Went to the Power Plant in Route 13 and cleared out Team Flare.
  • With the power restored to Lumiose City, I was able to explore the North Boulevard and take on the gym.
  • Prior to the fight against Clemont, I used a Moon Stone on Rex to evolved him into Nidoking!
  • Rex then took down Clement with Bulldoze and Poison Jab.
  • After taking with Lysandre, I defeated Calem on Route 14, then caught Draken the Skorupi!
  • Next I used a Shiny Stone on Thorn to evolved her into Roserade!
  • We battled out way up to Laverre City, and Phibia evolved into Toxicroak!
  • With my full poison team assembled, Valerie was quickly disposed of.
  • I am now saved in Laverre City.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Toxi:
skorupi.gif

Draken the Adamant Skorupi, ♂ - L36 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Sniper
Moves: Bug Bite, Dig, Poison Jab, Strength
crobat.gif

Countess the Serious Crobat, ♀ - L37
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Acrobatics, Fly, Bite, Confuse Ray
nidoking.gif

Rex the Naive Nidoking, ♂ - L38 @ Poison Barb
Ability: Sheer Force
Moves: Poison Jab, Thunderbolt, Bulldoze, Cut
skrelp.gif

Seaweed the Bold Skrelp, ♀ - L38 @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Point
Moves: Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt, Surf, Aqua Tail
roserade.gif

Thorn the Modest Roserade, ♂ - L38 @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Natural Cure
Moves: Giga Drain, Petal Dance, Venoshock, Dazzling Gleam
toxicroak-f.gif

Phibia the Lonely Toxicroak, ♀ - L37 @ Black Belt
Ability: Dry Skin
Moves: Poison Jab, Bulldoze, Low Sweep, Sucker Punch

Boxed:
beedrill.gif

Buzz the Hardy Beedrill, ♀ - L20
Ability: Swarm
Moves: Poison Sting, Thief, Twineedle, False Swipe

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Forum User Name: limeemil
Game(s): Fire Red, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, Y, Ultra Moon
Pokémon Type: Dragon

Been a while since I've done one of these so why not do one now with my favorite type? I will try to go for the extra goals as much as possible this time around.

Last edited:
Years
Kimbo's Mega Monotype Challenge
Type 1: Bug Game 1: Part 2: Thunder and Rainbow Badge

Spoiler:

TEAM[/FONT]
beedrill.png

Duke the Beedrill @N/A
Level 32/Impish/Male/Swarm
Twineedle /Aerial Ace /Secret Power /Brick Break

butterfree.png

Cabbage the Butterfree @N/A
Level 31/Quirky/Female/Compound Eyes
Confusion /Thief /Poison Powder /Gust

parasect.png

Monarch the Paras @N/A
Level 31/Quirky/Female/Effect Spore
Bullet Seed/ Leech Life/ Dig/ Spore

pinsir.png

Admiral the Pinsir @N/A
Level 24/Calm/Male/Hyper Cutter
Vicegrip/Seismic Toss/Bind/Focus Energy

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Pokemon Y Grass Monotype Ultimate Challenge

Gyms 7, 8 + Pokemon League

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Started my challenge officially today with my Fire Red run. A bit of a slow start seeing as Dratini's early-level moves aren't that great.
Made training a bit of a hassle (especially when Wrap misses five times in a row).

My progress:
Spoiler:

My team:
Spoiler:

Attachments

• Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_01.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_01.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_02.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_02.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_03.png
    Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_03.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 2
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Pokemon Pearl Grass Monotype Ultimate Challenge

Start + Gyms 1+2
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Water Monotype Challenge - First Update
Black | Marko

50px-Trio_Badge.png
50px-Basic_Badge.png
50px-Insect_Badge.png

So I decided to take a break from my Heart Gold because although I'm close I really don't feel like dealing with the game on emulator right now (oh why does HGSS have to be so expensive still). So onward to Unova for the time being! Skipping Hoenn for now because I have a solo run I need to finish first and skipping Sinnoh because I've yet to get my Shiny Piplup rip. So anyways I decided to do the run with BW instead of BW2 because there is one Pokemon that I want to use on my team that I wouldn't be able to get in BW2. If you're concerned for me about the beginning of the game for a particular reason well, you'll see if you read on.

The journey begins in my room with Cheren and Bianca where we get to choose our starter. I, of course, chose Oshawott who is the first member of my part! Named him Pancake after I beat both of my childhood friends. So off Pancake and I go onto Route 1 where I don't bother to catch any other Pokemon even though Bianca asked me to. Why would I if there are no water types I can pick up.

That said, there isn't any until after the first gym which is well... Cilan because I chose a water type. I went into this game expecting Cilan to be utter hell because Oshawott is the only water type and I figure Pansage was just going to demolish me. However, that ended up not being the case! I grinded Oshawott to level 17 where it evolved into Dewott (didn't take as long as I thought though it was still brutal grinding that out) and Cilan was actually fairly easy. Used Focus Energy while he had Lilipup out and after I took that out all it took was two tackles (second one was a critical) to take out Pansage! One hurdle down!

So after that was over and done with I continued my trek and went onto the next town where Lenora was. I skipped a few trainers for the time being and went to the outside of Pinwheel Forest so I can catch my second member, Donut the Tympole. Leveled Donut and Pancake a few levels before going in an taking on Lenora. Now, we all know how hard Lenora can be sometimes and thankfully she was actually really easy! Used Focus Energy on Herdier and one Critical Razor Shell took the puppy down. Then one more Critical Razor Shell took down Watchog after and badge get!

Then after what seemed like years and many Audinos later I finally found a Panpour I liked. Enter Poptart the Panpour who was actually the only female I found while looking so I guess that's all I was waiting for. With Poptart finally on the team we go on and continue to beat up Team Plasma in the forest and get back the skull that they stole from the museum. Then of course after getting to Castelia City I beat Team Plasma again after they stole Bianca's Munna.

Once that was over and done with I actually went back to Pinwheel Forest to grind off Audino again this time to level up Panpour. Leveled her up to 31 so she learned Acrobatics to deal with Burgh and his Leavanny. Worth it too because his gym battle didn't even take two minutes. Set up on Whirlpede with two Work-Ups, then demolished it with Scald, Leavanny with on Acrobatics, and one more Scald did the trick for Dwebble.

Now me and my team are in the desert making our way towards Nimbasa City! Elesa is the possible last hurdle my team has to make before it's smoother sailing but we're pretty overleveled so I don't think she'll be an issue at all. But I suppose we will find out next time!

dewott.png

Pancake (Dewott) ♂
Relaxed | Torrent | Level 32 @ Mystic Water
Revenge, Razor Shell, Fury Cutter, Focus Energy

palpitoad.png

Donut (Palpitoad) ♀
Serious | Hydration | Level 31 @ Amulet Coin
Aqua Ring, Mud Shot, Uproar, Muddy Water

panpour.png

Poptart (Panpour) ♀
Hasty | Gluttony | Level 32
Acrobatics, Bite, Scald, Work Up

HM Slaves
pansear.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Hey its been a while. You probably assume I'll be continuing my poison run since its the only one to have even touched gen 2.
GUESS AGAIN!
I decided to drop my Flying run for this!

Forum User Name: Xemnahort
Game(s): Red 2/8, gen 2 0/16, gen 3 0/8, gen 4 0/8, gen 5 0/8, gen 6 0/8, gen 7 0/?(I don't remember how many)
Pokémon Type: Electric

and I've already started so here we go

Named myself Odin.
Got a Charmander.
Lost the first rival (Loki) fight for the first time since starting monotypes.
Ran to Viridian Forest.
Captured first mon, a Pikachu named Thor.
Challenged Rival to a rematch... it went better.
Captured a Spearow.
Beat up everyone in forest and grinded to 16 for Quick Attack.
Challenged brock... ran out of PP for Quick Attack against Onix and proceeded to use every other move til I could use Struggle... and then ran out of Potions.
Considered all options then decided to return to forest, use up all Thunder Waves and Thundershocks and left 15 Growls.
Challenged brock again and with a combo of Quick Attack, Struggle and Potions beat him.
Blitzed through mt. moon grabbing all items and fighting sparingly.
Reached Cerulean proceeded to barely beat Loki.
Reached Bill after struggling (not the move just the action this time) past another damn Onix.
Ran to vermillion to pick up cut, rest, and the bike voucher.
Beat Loki without too much trouble this time.
Traded Spearow for a Farfetch'd.
Beat Misty and got the Bike.
Ran back to Vermillion and then thru Diglett cave to get Flash.
Relearned I needed 10 mons to get Flash so I caught a few.
Got Flash and taught it to Thor.
Ran back to Cerulean and proceeded toward Rock Tunnel.
Avoided as many fights as possible though one trainer poisoned me so I ran around til Thor fainted and used a rare candy to revive him.
Reached Lavender Town and headed to Celadon.
Obtained second mon, an Eevee named Raijin.
Bought 2 thunderstones but have yet to use them.
Now training Raijin to learn Bite before evolving.

Thor (Pikachu) lvl 34
Raijin (Eevee) lvl 26

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 2, 2024
Pokemon Sun Bug Monotype - Part 5 - From Po Town Team Skull Takeover to Champion (Finale)

Spoiler:

Pokemon Sun Bug Monotype FIN!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Pokemon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

My progress:
Spoiler:

Current team:
Spoiler:

Attachments