• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
Years
  • I am back from the grave!

Life happened and I haven't played much Pokemon in the last few years. But recently Ive had a little extra time on my hands and I wanted to FINALLY complete my Ruby version Bug type run! I had literally gotten all the way to the Elite 4 before my break.... Thanks Explorer of Time for bringing all the details over from the old threads, you legend.

Took me a few tries to get through the Elite 4 and Champ all in one go, but I did it! My final team:
    Bailey | Beautifly| Lvl 62
    Bianca | Ninjask | Lvl 62
    Bow | Shedinja| Lvl 60
    Benji | Volbeat | Lvl 66
    Brielle | Sunskirt | Lvl 65
    Bala | Heracross | Lvl 69

Will put some thoughts/how the final battles went below:

Spoiler:

Not sure if Ill do a Bug mono-type again soon as the struggle at the end was real lol BUT I defs would consider another monotype challenge.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Gold / #A / Kanto

Just a quick update, because, as we know Kanto is relatively easy.

Here's the order I went:
    Lt. Surge -> Sabrina -> Erika -> Janine -> Get Power Plant going -> Get Radio Card/Expansion Card -> Brock -> Blaine -> Misty -> Blue.

Along the way, I get a Houndour (now a Houndoom), a Ponyta (now a Rapidash), and a Slugma (now a Magcargo).

Both Misty and Blue were only successful due to Smokescreen tactics. Blue required using all of Smokescreen PP to make it through...on my 15th try, no less. My team is currently mid-40s, except Magmar who is early-50s. As I'm nowhere near the levels needed to take on Red, I'm going to move on to Hoenn and get started on Emerald. I'll keep playing Gold in the background, and once I'm able to report on beating down Red, I'll include a quick side-blurb.

EDIT: Beat Red.

- First out was Pikachu. I had Typhlosion out and using Rollout to knock it out over time. Of course, I got Charm'd, but still, ended up working.
    - Next out was Espeon. Houndoom easily took it down.
    - Third out was Blastoise. Back to Typhlosion. Welcome to setting up 6xSmokescreen. If I get knocked out by Surf, I just switch over, Revive, and hop back until I get all set up. Used about 10 Revives in the process. Then Rollout took it out.
    - Fourth was Snorlax. Just had to completely outlast it with Magcargo. At the end, once all the Rest uses were gone, I used Smog to poison it to help it go down faster.
    - Fifth was Charizard, and two normal Rock Throws and one crit Rock Throw took it out.
    - Finally, Venusaur. So, I wish I had lots of Fire moves. If only, right? Oh, wait...

All in all, Gold was fun. Clock'd in with a time of 29h18m. MVP goes to the small patch of grass south of Pallet Town with an abundance of Tangela. Good training spot.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Emerald / #1 / First Three Gyms and Teammates

Emerald only has five Fire Pokemon I'll end up with: Torchic, Numel, Torkoal, Slugma, and Vulpix. Torchic is the only one I have until I defeat Wattson, then I can pick up everything other than Vulpix (which I won't get until Mt. Pyre).

Needless to say, I blow through the first gym with ease. Lots of using Ember.

Second gym...well, that takes a little bit of brute forcing it. First time I screw up and didn't heal at the right time, so I got knocked out. Second time, I was more careful about watching my health.

Third gym...I figured I could spam Ember. The better play turned out to be Double Kick, because when I get paralyzed, if one Double Kick gets through, both do. And while one Ember is better than one Double Kick, both Double Kicks are better than a single Ember.

From there, I use Rock Smash to get north of Mauville, and cut left to get Numel in Route 112 and the into Fiery Path to eventually (after fighting twenty back to back Numel) pick up Torkoal and Slugma. By this time, Combusken is level 32, and my new team members are 15. I want them to reach ~20 before moving on, so I head back to Mauville and head west on the route to Verdanturf. After about forty minutes, time to end the grind as Slugma is 19 and the others are 20.

My current team
    Spoiler:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • The opening post has been updated again with the new Legendary rules, as well as a few other changes mentioned in the changelog. (Technically it was updated a couple days ago, but I forgot to post about it.)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Emerald / #2 / Fourth Through Seventh Gyms

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokémon Colosseum (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Water - Aqua Admin Walter
    Update 1 (Phenac City -> Pyrite Cave)

This is my first monotype of Colosseum, and, if I succeed, will be the first monotype of Colosseum listed in the Hall of Fame. I picked the Water type, which has two Water Pokémon available before Pyrite Colosseum, Croconaw from Bluno in Phenac and Quagsire immediately after from a Duel Square trainer in Pyrite Town. Getting through Pyrite Colosseum was easier than expected, but getting through the Pyrite Building was very difficult, with Hunter Toti actually managing to beat me twice. Thankfully, once I made it to the top, I was able to snag three more Water-types in quick succession. Miror B. was much easier than I expected, with two of my Pokémon starting in Hyper Mode and critting his most dangerous Ludicolo right off the bat. His other Ludicolo didn't play intelligently either, and I defeated them all pretty easily.

I am snagging all the non-Water Shadow Pokémon I find as well, since I want to eventually fight Fein at the end of the game, but I box every one of them as soon as I possible catch them, and I'm not planning to make an effort to purify the ones I don't care about.

Because I can't purify any of my Pokémon until I get to the Relic Stone (which is only four or five trainers away), I couldn't level up my Pokémon at all, nor change any of their movesets. Thankfully, all of them except Remoraid have fairly playable movesets and are at reasonable levels, and the level curve is very gentle up through where I've gotten to. The Purification clause didn't come close to needing to be invoked.

Team

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Emerald / Final / The Final Gym and Elite Four

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Final Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Shining Pearl / #1 / Five Gyms Down

Spoiler:

The full read:

Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokémon Colosseum (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Water - Aqua Admin Walter
    Update 2 (Agate Village -> Mt. Battle)

Another update, but it's a short one. After reaching Agate Village, I purified all my Pokemon, evolving my Croconaw into a Feraligatr and, soon after, my Remoraid into an Octillery. Both are much stronger, now, with Feraligatr being my strongest Water attacker, and Octillery becoming much stronger than it was as a Remoraid. That being said, it still isn't quite up to the level of the rest of my team. Only three types resist Water, which my whole team has decent STAB moves for, so the loss of Shadow Rush hasn't hurt me too much, but it has made dealing with those three types a little bit more difficult. I also have two Pokemon that can set up Rain Dance, which is helpful since my whole team is part-Water and knows a Water move.

Dakim was a pushover, with Feraligatr and Quagsire sweeping his non-Shadow team members with Surf. Entei did faint a few Pokemon, but only because I was trying to catch it; my first try, it actually fainted itself with Shadow Rush. Afterwards, I stuck it in the PC box where it'll stay for the rest of the game.

Team

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Shining Pearl / Final / The Final Gyms and Elite Four

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

The Look Ahead:
    Spoiler:

Final Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Black / #1 / The First Six Gyms

Yeah, you read that right. There's something oddly fun about Black/White after remembering B2W2.

In this post:
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    Black / Final / The Final Gyms, Elite Four, and Stopping Team Plasma

In this post:
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

MVP for the run:
    free Lucky Egg

Final Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Segment 4: N
    This battle ticks me off - I purposely lose so I can get rid of Reshiram. Sure, I'd love to use it. But I can't. Sad face.

Um... you actually could have, since N's legendary is the only Pokemon in a mainline game that triggers Standard Mode Rule 3. I even specifically laid it out in BW1's game-specific rules, too.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Um... you actually could have, since N's legendary is the only Pokemon in a mainline game that triggers Standard Mode Rule 3. I even specifically laid it out in BW1's game-specific rules, too.

So I could have! Jeez, I don't know how I missed that. I'll have to remember it when I swing back around for Dragon! I do try to push myself a little more on theory-crafting with each new type, but I'll have to be sure I re-read all the rules before starting a specific run!

I feel dumb, but at the same time, I'm happy I found a way through the final battles.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Wait. How would a Dragon mono type challenge even work in games like FRLG and DPPt? You guys have discussed hacking your starter Pokémon, but would you just hack Bagon and Trapinch into FRLG? (I think Kingdra requires trading with a Dragon Scale.)

EDIT: I know it'd be unorthodox to do one just for Gen III Kanto, but it's not impossible that someone whose favorite type is dragon would want to do a run through all the regions.

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Wait. How would a Dragon mono type challenge even work in games like FRLG and DPPt? You guys have discussed hacking your starter Pokémon, but would you just hack Bagon and Trapinch into FRLG? (I think Kingdra requires trading with a Dragon Scale.)

EDIT: I know it'd be unorthodox to do one just for Gen III Kanto, but it's not impossible that someone whose favorite type is dragon would want to do a run through all the regions.

In Standard Mode, which is what most people do, you're restricted to your regional dex. This means that for a Dragon monotype of Kanto, you'd be stuck using the Dragonite line only, and if you traded or hacked in a starter, you'd have to pick a Dratini. But, there's no restriction on catching and using multiple Pokemon of the same species, meaning a player of a Kanto Dragon monotype could catch between two and six Dragonite for their party. (The challenge requires at least two since Solo challenges belong in a different thread.) The same goes for the Garchomp line in Diamond and Pearl. (Platinum has a second Dragon, Altaria)

Evolving Seadra into Kingdra is technically allowed in FRLG, but it can't be done without romhacking or save editing before the game ends because of stuff involving the FRLG National Dex, which not everyone can do.

If you do want to just hack in Bagon and Trapinch and any other non-Legendary Dragon you want into FRLG, Free Mode allows that as part of its less restrictive ruleset.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I finally decided to do a Water-Type Mono Run of Pokémon Leaf Green Version (Slowbro for life! Booooo, Golduck!)

I'm amazed no one has brought this up yet, but in Gen I Kanto and Gen III Kanto, they don't just hand you HM05 for Flash. If your regional PokéDex has nine or fewer species in it, Oak's aide (aid?) will just stare at you like "You seriously couldn't find ten species of Pokémon?!" A friend told me not too long ago that Flash isn't really required because you can treat it like a maze with a finite number of ways to get lost. (In order words, if you "hug the wall" as he put it, you'll eventually find your way out). I really don't like Rock Tunnel as is, but I don't see a clause for this, so... eh, I guess I'll live.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I'm amazed no one has brought this up yet, but in Gen I Kanto and Gen III Kanto, they don't just hand you HM05 for Flash. If your regional PokéDex has nine or fewer species in it, Oak's aide (aid?) will just stare at you like "You seriously couldn't find ten species of Pokémon?!" A friend told me not too long ago that Flash isn't really required because you can treat it like a maze with a finite number of ways to get lost. (In order words, if you "hug the wall" as he put it, you'll eventually find your way out). I really don't like Rock Tunnel as is, but I don't see a clause for this, so... eh, I guess I'll live.

It's right there in the very first rule of the core rules.

1. You may only use Pokémon of your chosen type, or that evolve into your chosen type, in trainer battles. You may still catch Pokémon not of your type for non-battle-related purposes, such as breeding or Pokédex completion.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I have no excuse; I skimmed right over it! I thought it'd be in Gen I & III specific rules, but it was in rule no. 1 the whole time. I feel like such a fool!

Back