• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
I think I'm going to go for it and do the Ultimate challenge. I've recently acquired copies of games for each generation, so I'm ready to go!

Forum User Name: ColourCodedGB
Pokémon Type: Normal
Challenge Mode: (Ultimate)
Game(s): FireRed, Gold, Ruby, Pearl, White, X

I'm going to be starting with Pearl because I haven't played it in a long time, and I'm excited to play it. :)

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Forum User Name: RoreyG
Pokémon Type: Flying
Challenge Mode: Single
Game(s): Fire Red

Question: How do the rules go regarding using Legendaries?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Update #6
Beat the Coumarine City Gym and got my 4th badge. Also evolved Kirlia to Gallade and realized how weak it is without good moves, so more grinding to be done there. Lara also evolved to Machoke so I intend to find a trade on the PokeTrades Subreddit to evolve him. Quilladon is now a Chesnaught which is cool. Overall I have had a large powerspike and should have an easy game for a while. I have to fly back and buy Dig to take out the electric gym, probably with Lucario.

4/8 Badges
@ Coumarine City
Fern the Hasty Chesnaught ♂ Lv. 38
Talon the Naive Gallade ♂ Lv. 31
Lara the Lax Machoke ♀ Lv. 30
Dynamo the Serious Hawlucha ♂ Lv. 37
Based God the Hasty Lucario ♂ Lv. 34

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Forum User Name: RoreyG
Pokémon Type: Flying
Challenge Mode: Single
Game(s): Fire Red

Question: How do the rules go regarding using Legendaries?
You can use any Pokemon not on this list: Banned Pokemon in Battle Maison. It's rule number 4 on the OP.

I think I'm going to go for it and do the Ultimate challenge. I've recently acquired copies of games for each generation, so I'm ready to go!

Forum User Name: ColourCodedGB
Pokémon Type: Normal
Challenge Mode: (Ultimate)
Game(s): FireRed, Gold, Ruby, Pearl, White, X

I'm going to be starting with Pearl because I haven't played it in a long time, and I'm excited to play it. :)
Just a heads up an ultimate challenge has to include a game from the Kalos region, either Pokemon X or Pokemon Y, in order to be considered an ultimate. So you might want to add one of those to your sign up unless you just want to do a bunch of single challenges.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
Just a heads up an ultimate challenge has to include a game from the Kalos region, either Pokemon X or Pokemon Y, in order to be considered an ultimate. So you might want to add one of those to your sign up unless you just want to do a bunch of single challenges.

Pretty sure it says "X" in the sign up. : P

That being said, I have already signed up for a couple other challenges, so I might try and finish them up first. I usually sign up for challenges in the evening without really thinking about it, so cancel the sign up for this one I suppose. :)

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Pretty sure it says "X" in the sign up. : P

That being said, I have already signed up for a couple other challenges, so I might try and finish them up first. I usually sign up for challenges in the evening without really thinking about it, so cancel the sign up for this one I suppose. :)

Oops lol I guess I just didn't see it, sorry about that. :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2015
Forum User Name: fobrown
Pokémon Type: Bug
Challenge Mode: Ultimate
Game(s):LeafGreen, HeartGold, Sapphire, Platinum, White, X

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Platinum Steel ball run Monotype update: The Bells of Notredame!

Veilstone City. Since the last post, we fooled around with one of the few spots in Sinnoh were we could bypass a little bit and trained in other areas before ultimately going after Veilstone Gym and tackled Maylene. During the events:

- Went after any of the acquirable plates in the game at this point. The Mind plate being an important held item for a team member.
- Cleared the Veilstone Gym's goons but not Maylene. We needed a bit more power
- After hard work, Notredame has fully evolved into Bronzong.
- Notredame pretty much tanked all of Maylene's lineup after +4 Iron Defense and just spamming Extrasensory over and over.

Pastoria City:

- Went on against Crasher Wake's gym. Against Wake himself, it was the close call. Notredame showed up and took a good beating from Gyarados but it was Napoleon who went through and beat both Floatzel and Quagsire. Quagsire almost KO'd Napoleon with Mudshot, which hits Empoleon's part Steel typing.

Celestic City:

- VS Cyrus: Napoleon's rather high level at this point in the game pretty much means that he can tank and flush out Cyrus' entire lineup.

5/8 Badges, and the journey is still a long road ahead.

Team:
395MS.png
Napoleon, LVL43, Modest, @Wise Glasses
Brine, Metal Claw, Peck, Aqua Jet

437MS.png
Notredame, Lvl39, Impish, @Mind Plate
Gyro Ball, Extrasensory, Iron Defense, Confuse Ray
Ability: Levitate

Scala, lvl30, Docile, @None
Cut, Pursuit, Fury Cutter
Ability: Technician

Elizabeth, lvl28, Naive @None
Rock Throw, Rock Smash, Slam, Sandstorm
Ability: Rock Head

Once we get the metal coat, both Scala and Elizabeth become full time true members.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Update #7
Made a quick trade and evolved Lara to Machamp before heading to the powerplant. Since most of Team Flair's pokemon are Dark type I took them out easy with Lara. I gave Lara Dig to take out the Lumiose Gym, but didn't realize that No Guard would leave me vulnerable while underground. So I switched out the move for Bulldoze and swept the gym with ease. 5/8 lets go

5/8 Badges
@ Lumiose City
Fern the Hasty Chesnaught ♂ Lv. 41
Talon the Naive Gallade ♂ Lv. 35
Lara the Lax Machamp ♀ Lv. 39
Dynamo the Serious Hawlucha ♂ Lv. 39
Based God the Hasty Lucario ♂ Lv. 37

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2015
Ultimate Bug Monotype Update
Game: Leaf Green

Update #1:

Caught my first two mons, a Caterpie at Lv. 4 and a Weedle at Lv. 5. Trained both to their final evolutions while proceeding through the rival battle on Route 22 and passing through Viridian Forest to Pewter City where I defeated Brock mainly using Confusion with Butterfree. After beating Brock, headed through Route 3 to Mt. Moon.

Current Position: Mt. Moon
Badges: 1/8
Current Team:
Butterfree (Female) Lv. 15
Beedrill (Female) Lv. 15

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Username: RefinedHornet
Type: Dark
Challenge Mode: Ultimate
Games: Gen V Champion, X

Ultimate Ghost Monotype Black 2 Update:
-caught Drifblim at Reversal Mountain
-caught Banette in the Strange House
-Frillish evolved into Jellicent
-defeated rival in Undella Town
-Litwick evolved into Lampent
-Lampent evolved into Chandelure
-Golett evolved into Golurk
-defeated Drayden
-defeated Marlon

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Pokemon Fire Red Flying Type Monotype Challenge Update!!!

Sorry I haven't been updating regularly, my internet has been giving a bit of trouble lately. Anyway, I started right after I submitted my application to do the challenge and I've been playing for the last three days straight. I've just beaten Gary (my rival) in the final battle in the Pokemon League.

I did all of the required battles and events that one would expect to do when playing Pokemon Fire Red (including the Lostelle event on the 1,2,3 Islands).

My team consisted of:

6.png

Sunfyre the Charizard. (m)
Nature: Timid
Moveset:
Flamethrower
Fly
Dragon Claw
Steel Wing

My starter Pokemon. I got him from Professor Oak at the start of the game and he's been my strongest and most reliable partner in this Challenge. He soloed Brock's Gym with Metal Claw, Lt. Surge's Gym with Dig, and Erica's Gym with Flamethrower. In every other Gym battle, he's provided tremendous support. In the Pokemon League, he took out Lorelei's Jynx, Bruno's Machamp, Agatha's Golbat, Lance's two Dragonairs, and Gary's Pidgeot and Exeggutor.

130.png

Hydra the Gyarados (m)
Nature: Hasty
Moveset:
Surf
Bite
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

I bought Hydra as a Magikarp from the salesman in the Route 4 Pokemon Center for 500 Pokedollars. This proved to be a sound investment. I switch-trained Hydra in Mount Moon, up Nugget Bridge and all the way to Bill's house (and used the two Rare Candies you could find between Pewter City and Cerulean City) in order to evolve it into a Gyarados before I faced Misty's Gym. Needless to say, the work was well worth it as Gyarados' Bite and the TM Secret Power (which I picked up en route to Bill's house) soloed Misty. Hydra proved his superior strength as he helped me to conquer not only Koga's Gym, but Blaine and Giovanni's Gyms as well. At the Pokemon League, Gyardos took down Bruno's 2 Onyx, Agatha's 2 Gengars, her Haunter and her Arbok, Lance's Aerodactyl and Gary's Rhydon and Arcanine.

149.png

Falkor the Dragonite (m)
Nature: Modest
Moveset:
Outrage
Aerial Ace
Brick Break
Thunder

I knew I wanted a Dragonite from early on so I optimized my training time by purchasing a Dratini from the Game Corner in Celedon City. I basically spent the whole game training him to take on the Pokemon League. He wasn't as important as my Charizard or Gyarados, but he came through in the end by defeating Lorelei's Lapras and Slowbro, Bruno's Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, Lance's Gyarados, and Gary's Blastoise.

123.png

Excalibur the Scyther (m)
Nature: Jolly
Moveset:
Fury Cutter
Wing Attack
Swords Dance
Double Team

Whilst I was in the Safari Zone looking for Surf and the Warden's Tooth, I came across a Scyther. I immediately remembered that Scyther was part Flying type and knew I had to have it on my team. After 2 Safari Balls were lobbed its way, I surprisingly caught it. I spent the next couple of routes (between Fuchsia City and Lavender Town) as well as the Team Rocket crisis at Silph Co. to train it up to mark. It was worth it as he soloed Sabrina's Gym. At the Pokemon League, he yet again proved his metal by landing an OHKO on Gary's Alakazam.

142.png

Smaug the Aerodactyl (m)
Nature: Rash
Moveset:
Rock Slide (from Rock Tunnel Move Tutor)
Wing Attack
Strength
Iron Tail (from Game Corner)

Once I picked up the HM for Cut, I knew I had to go back to Pewter City Museum to pick up the Old Amber. Once I got to Cinnabar Island, I regenerated my Aerodactyl from the Old Amber. I spent a couple of hours training my Aerodactyl before I faced the league and I got him up to a respectable strength so that he was able to take down Lorelei's Dewgong and Cloyster.

144.png

Freya the Articuno
Nature: Lax
Moveset:
Ice Beam
Fly
Reflect
Toxic

I still had a void to fill on my team and I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time training up my Level 7 Pidgy. It was then I realized that the Legendary Birds were not on the banned list for this challenge. I decided to go for Articuno as opposed to Zapdos or Moltres because I wanted some extra insurance against Lance. I only used it for one Pokemon League battle, but its Ice Beam proved useful against Lance's Dragonite.

My Hall of Fame Team:
hf8D9AerPP980MUAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
picture.php

All in all, it was a fun Challenge and I wouldn't be opposed to doing another one soon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Update #8

Caught a Poliwhirl on the Haunted Trail and named her Samus. Gave my Lucario Poison Jab and swept the Fairy Gym with ease then took down Team Flair in the PokeBall factory. All in all it was an easy hour. I really need to get to the move reminder since I now have my full party and I just need to give them moves. I've decided Samus will run Belly Drum, Waterfall, Hypnosis, Wake-Up Slap for some massive damage.

6/8 Badges
@ Laverre City
Fern the Hasty Chesnaught ♂ Lv. 44
Talon the Naive Gallade ♂ Lv. 41
Lara the Lax Machamp ♀ Lv. 41
Dynamo the Serious Hawlucha ♂ Lv. 43
Based God the Hasty Lucario ♂ Lv. 42
Samus the _____ Poliwhirl ♀ Lv. 37

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
Strider's Silver Water-Type Update 7: (Mahogany Town - Pokémon League)
Halfway there! I know Kanto is not gonna take as long as Johto so that's good news. No usual LP-style update today because I was tired as hell while playing and wasn't really paying attention. I caught a Horsea after beating Clair and beat the E4 and Champion.

Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_2s_160.png

Tidus the Feraligatr (Lv. 41)
Bite
Scary Face
Slash
Surf

Spr_2s_195.png

Zidane the Quagsire @ Quick Claw (Lv. 41)
Surf
Tail Whip
Earthquake
Amnesia

Spr_2s_130.png

Tifa the Gyarados @ Dragon Claw (Lv. 41)
DragonBreath
Headbutt
Hydro Pump
Surf

Spr_2s_184.png

Rydia the Azumarill (Lv. 40)
Defence Curl
Double-Edge
Surf
Rollout

Spr_2s_131.png

Rinoa the Lapras @ NeverMeltIce (Lv. 42)
Surf
Sing
Perish Song
Ice Beam

Spr_2s_117.png

Lenna the Seadra (Lv. 40)
Agility
Twister
Leer
Waterfall

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Platinum Steel monotype update: Where did my last update go?

The story so far:

- Made it to Canalave City. Rival Battle with Barry at this point in the game was still too easy for Napoleon to handle so i let everyone else to their work. Not using Napoleon, it was a rather challenging but fun battle.

- Went through Iron Island to get the following: The Riolu Egg from Aaron and the Metal Coat from the Registeel cave.

- With the metal coat, we evolved Scala into her intended form, Scizor.

- Canalave gym was fun. Several members of the team fought against most of the grunts. One highlight was Scala, now a Scizor, at lvl35 defeating an Ace Trainer's lvl40 Scizor because of Technician Wing Attack.

- Backtracked all the way to Fuego Ironworks to get a Magnemite. This magnemite would be named: Tesla, after Nikola Tesla.

- Stopped by Eterna Forest and the Old Mansion in order to SpAtk Ev train Tesla and further EV Train Napoleon.

6/8 Badges and on our way to Snowfront City, Confrontation at Mt. Coronet, etc... now we are just doing some off-screen training.

Team:
395MS.png
Napoleon, Male, Modest @Wise Glasses. Lvl47

437MS.png
Notredame, Impish, @Mind Plate, Lvl41

212MS.png
Scala, Female, Docile, @SilverPowder. Lvl36

082MS.png
Tesla, naughty, @None. Lvl33

Benched member: Elizabeth, the Onix. We will find a new Metal coat in order for her to evolve.

Waiting for the Riolu egg to hatch. Steelix and Lucario will be the final two members of the team.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
Strider's Silver Water-Type Finale
I'm done! I just breezed through Kanto, got all the badges and beat Red, so I didn't take many screenshots. I was nervous for Red because of the level difference but it turned out just fine.
Spoiler:

VS Red:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Well, that was a great time. I'll definitely be doing more of these in the future.

Team:
Spr_2s_160.png

Tidus the Feraligatr (Lv. 60)
Bite
Screech
Slash
Surf

Spr_2s_195.png

Zidane the Quagsire @ Quick Claw (Lv. 60)
Surf
Rain Dance
Earthquake
Amnesia

Spr_2s_130.png

Tifa the Gyarados (Lv. 60)
Rain Dance
Hyper Beam
Hydro Pump
Surf

Spr_2s_184.png

Rydia the Azumarill (Lv. 60)
Rain Dance
Double-Edge
Surf
Rollout

Spr_2s_131.png

Rinoa the Lapras @ NeverMeltIce (Lv. 60)
Surf
Rain Dance
Perish Song
Ice Beam

Spr_2s_117.png

Lenna the Seadra (Lv. 60)
Agility
Twister
Hydro Pump
Waterfall

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Ultimate Dark Monotype X Update:
-chose Froakie
-defeated Viola
-Froakie evolved into Frogadier
-caught Sandile on Route 9
-caught Eevee on Route 10
-defeated Grant

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Update #9

Sorry I haven't posted in a while! Anyway I got to Dendemille Town and cleared out Frost Cavern. I used a Water Stone on Samus as soon as she learned Wake-Up Slap. Since I'm in Dendemille Town I managed to use the move relearner to give almost all the moves I want to my team. Next is Anistar City and Talon has to take on the gym with Night Slash, so I'm gonna give him the Lucky Egg and grind.

6/8 Badges
@ Dendemille Town
Fern the Hasty Chesnaught ♂ Lv. 48
Talon the Naive Gallade ♂ Lv. 45
Lara the Lax Machamp ♀ Lv. 47
Dynamo the Serious Hawlucha ♂ Lv. 46
Based God the Hasty Lucario ♂ Lv. 46
Samus the Docile Poliwrath ♀ Lv. 45

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
I've got a quick question. I've been planning some teams for future mono type runs and I was checking the hack exception rules for Dragon typing and Soul Silver/Heart Gold doesn't get a hack exception. Am I overlooking an obvious Dragon Pokémon you can get before second gym? Because I thought the first ones you'd be able to get were Horsea (Whirl Islands), which would evolve into Kingdra either trading it or hacking the evo, and Dratini (Dragon's Den). I was just wondering cause I like to follow the rules and all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back